Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rubthe nub

rubthe nub

Rub if that was my setup and I was running the duct this is kinda how I'd do it

@KtidyFarms
Thanks for taking the time to check it out. Still unsure if I want to pull the trigger.
If ain't broke don't fix it type of thing, lol.
On the other hand I'm always trying to up my game
If I decide to do it, I'll probably pick your brains some more
thanks again, bro

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

CJ,
I have kind of a dilemma. I recently swapped out my 8k btu portable ac for a 14k portable a/c. the new a/c isn't really cooling down my room so. specs on the room: 8x12x7 sealed. 3x a/c big kahuna hoods , 3x 600w hps, 2x 8"720cfm fans for hood cooling, 8" 720 cfm exhaust on huge scrubber 100% power (scrubber is matched for the fan), 8" 440 cfm intake fan (on speed controller about 90%), 3x 18" oscillating fans (not moving) blowing across/under each hood. #1 fan is 2' from hood, #3 and 4 fans are about 4' away. #1 fan is at full speed, 2 and 3 are on medium. 3x 10" fans blowing cool air up into the 18" fan area. 73* ambient basement temp. a/c has ducting about 20' exiting out the basement, I also put a 6" 440 cfm fan to help get the hot exhaust air out. my temps are 79/81/79. temp gauges are 12" directly below the bulb. I put a 22" box type fan (square fan) with 2x cinder blocks next to the intake fan to suck up the cold a/c air and blow it up. A/c temp is adjustable, lowest setting is 60*, I have it at 63*. it runs 12hrs, then shuts off on a timer, restarts when its time again. temp coming into room is 65 +/- 3*. scrubber temp is 75*-77*. I have the fan speed on 1, I have 3 speeds to choose from. I have temp gauges all over the place (spare curing temp/humidity gauges)

now I used to run in a 5x10x7 tent with 2x BK hoods, 2x600hps, 2x 600hps, 2x6" 440 cfm for hoods, custom scrubber with 6" 440 cfm fan, 8" intake, 8k btu a/c (runs 12 hrs on timer). this was done in a basement as well with ambient temps 73* +/- 2*. my temps were 75* +/-2* consistently.

should I try and kick the fan speed to 2? or is this just what I get with a portable unit (albeit a 500.00 unit) and not a mini split. are my current rooms temps good? I like a bit of a cooler room, 75*.

sorry for the novel, but putting all the facts on the table helps to get a more precise answer.

sixstring

sixstring

you say the a/c ducting is 20 feet before it exits,is it insulated?if not do that and i bet you go down a few degrees easy.those portables have one major flaw,its that hot ass pipe coming off them radiating heat right back into the space.so if you can insulate that exhaust pipe well your a/c will do a much better job of cooling the space.its probably 5 in duct so you can just buy some 6 in insulated flex pipe and a 5 in to 6 in coupler/reducer,should make a huge dif.gl

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

CJ,
I have kind of a dilemma. I recently swapped out my 8k btu portable ac for a 14k portable a/c. the new a/c isn't really cooling down my room so. specs on the room: 8x12x7 sealed. 3x a/c big kahuna hoods , 3x 600w hps, 2x 8"720cfm fans for hood cooling, 8" 720 cfm exhaust on huge scrubber 100% power (scrubber is matched for the fan), 8" 440 cfm intake fan (on speed controller about 90%), 3x 18" oscillating fans (not moving) blowing across/under each hood. #1 fan is 2' from hood, #3 and 4 fans are about 4' away. #1 fan is at full speed, 2 and 3 are on medium. 3x 10" fans blowing cool air up into the 18" fan area. 73* ambient basement temp. a/c has ducting about 20' exiting out the basement, I also put a 6" 440 cfm fan to help get the hot exhaust air out. my temps are 79/81/79. temp gauges are 12" directly below the bulb. I put a 22" box type fan (square fan) with 2x cinder blocks next to the intake fan to suck up the cold a/c air and blow it up. A/c temp is adjustable, lowest setting is 60*, I have it at 63*. it runs 12hrs, then shuts off on a timer, restarts when its time again. temp coming into room is 65 +/- 3*. scrubber temp is 75*-77*. I have the fan speed on 1, I have 3 speeds to choose from. I have temp gauges all over the place (spare curing temp/humidity gauges)

now I used to run in a 5x10x7 tent with 2x BK hoods, 2x600hps, 2x 600hps, 2x6" 440 cfm for hoods, custom scrubber with 6" 440 cfm fan, 8" intake, 8k btu a/c (runs 12 hrs on timer). this was done in a basement as well with ambient temps 73* +/- 2*. my temps were 75* +/-2* consistently.

should I try and kick the fan speed to 2? or is this just what I get with a portable unit (albeit a 500.00 unit) and not a mini split. are my current rooms temps good? I like a bit of a cooler room, 75*.

sorry for the novel, but putting all the facts on the table helps to get a more precise answer.

Is it a dual hose portable? In other words air for condenser comes from outside room and exhaust from condenser goes outside room. If not that's most likely your problem because air for condenser is coming from cool air in room. Other issue is that u maybe exhausting too much air. Carbon filters should just recycle room air. If you're air cooling hoods that air circuit needs to be closed loop. Pull and exhaust air for hoods from outside room.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

it has a 6" exhaust hose () single hose, 10' of the immediate a/c exhaust is already sleeved with r6. I do have 64* air coming into the room (temp gauge placed inside lip/edge of the 90* 8" elbow attached to the 8" 440 cfm on speed controller. the a/c is outside the flower room. I have 12"x4"x6" duct piece attached to the ac unit. a 6" 90* elbow, then 6" ducting (2.5') going to the 8" intake fan. this is secured to 1/2 of the 8" 90* elbow then attached to an 8" intake fan, so the fan draws in all the cold air when its on, and can still draw in air when lights out w/o any neg pressure issues.

my floor temp is 74* directly under the intake fan. I have a temp gauge on the 90* elbow on the outside of the intake fan, reads 72/73.

the unit blows cold ass air, and I get a ton of condensation. I removed the insulation I put on the a/c as I had to fix an issue (fitment). I just cant get the room to be stable at 75 . I had no prob keeping my room at 73*75* in my 5x1x0x7 tent with a little 8k but. I had the same basic setup and design as I do now, minus a larger room and bigger hood fans. I have the scrubber exhaust kinda blowing into the direction of the 8" duct for hood fan #1. so its getting 75* air.

I thought about turning down the scrubber. I would also have to dial down the intake fan to compensate, but then I should be able to put the a/c fan speed on #2 to compensate for the dialing down of the intake fan and still keep good neg pressure during lights on and off.

much appreciate all the help.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

it has a 6" exhaust hose () single hose, 10' of the immediate a/c exhaust is already sleeved with r6. I do have 64* air coming into the room (temp gauge placed inside lip/edge of the 90* 8" elbow attached to the 8" 440 cfm on speed controller. the a/c is outside the flower room. I have 12"x4"x6" duct piece attached to the ac unit. a 6" 90* elbow, then 6" ducting (2.5') going to the 8" intake fan. this is secured to 1/2 of the 8" 90* elbow then attached to an 8" intake fan, so the fan draws in all the cold air when its on, and can still draw in air when lights out w/o any neg pressure issues.

my floor temp is 74* directly under the intake fan. I have a temp gauge on the 90* elbow on the outside of the intake fan, reads 72/73.

the unit blows cold ass air, and I get a ton of condensation. I removed the insulation I put on the a/c as I had to fix an issue (fitment). I just cant get the room to be stable at 75 . I had no prob keeping my room at 73*75* in my 5x1x0x7 tent with a little 8k but. I had the same basic setup and design as I do now, minus a larger room and bigger hood fans. I have the scrubber exhaust kinda blowing into the direction of the 8" duct for hood fan #1. so its getting 75* air.

I thought about turning down the scrubber. I would also have to dial down the intake fan to compensate, but then I should be able to put the a/c fan speed on #2 to compensate for the dialing down of the intake fan and still keep good neg pressure during lights on and off.

much appreciate all the help.

What is temperture of the room where the portable unit is? The air coming into room directly off of portable should be colder than 64F (which you said it was).

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

a/c air incoming air 62-63*. had a power outage for 2 hrs last night (5th one in 1.5 years, time to move or buy a generator (just for the grow, lol).

I had a little time to play with the scrubber speed. I took her down to about 75/80% power, and left the intake fan speed alone. the temps dropped and settled in at 75* on all 3 temp gauges. ill play around with it more tonight. I still need to dial it in properly and get the neg pressure right. cant have a stinky building you know.

CJ, like you mentioned, I think I was exhausting too much air. seems to be working ok.

as far as the a/c 20'+ of exhaust ducting. I run 6ml contractors plastic dividing my veg and flower area. I route the exhaust (ac) on the side wall, then on the side of the veg tent, then on that back wall behind the tent, then exiting out a window (dryer vent). its no where near where my flower intake or a/c is. anything near that is sleeved with r6 insulation. it may even be more than 20'.

CWorthington

CWorthington

Greetings THC Farmers. First post here. I am in SoCal, in need of AC advice. This is a room in a house, roughly 10'x11', but the ceiling slopes up, so it's got a little more air volume than a room with an 8' ceiling. I'm running a custom DIY LED system. Just over 1,200 watts covers 4o sq ft of grow area. It's hard to say exactly, but the heat generated is probably no more than a 1,000 watt HID or pair of 600's. Still, summer is here and the room definitely needs cooling.

I've already got an extra 8" ducting hole that vents to the attic. So, the easiest thing would be to get the $450 Hydrofarm portable AC and just plug it in. I think it would get the job done. If a mini split would be way more efficient and cheaper to run I'd rather do that though. I could put a condenser in the backyard. I've read that Excel and Aura aren't quite first rate, would probably want a Mitsubishi or Mr Slim (is it?), etc...

I was about to run to the hydro store and buy that portable, but figured I should ask here first. I will be glad to hire you (CannabisJohn) if necessary. Thanks.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
I wouldn't get the portable unit unless its an emergency. The mini split system is the way to go. You will save money on electricity with the mini split and it will be more efficient at cooling the room. CJ is the man he should be able to set you right up.

MSH

MSH

I've got a small room which is 6.8 x 4.6f and handles around 2000w of light. I've got a 250mm fan as outtake, hooked up to a 315 mm filter, and a 150mm fan for intake.

I'm wondering how many wattage the groom will handle with a 24.000 BTU mini split? Will 3500-4000 BTU's cool (1) 1000W light?

Does the split have to be kept outdoors? If not kept indoors, does it cool as much or can it be hooked up to water?

Best wishes

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
I've got a small room which is 6.8 x 4.6f and handles around 2000w of light. I've got a 250mm fan as outtake, hooked up to a 315 mm filter, and a 150mm fan for intake.

I'm wondering how many wattage the groom will handle with a 24.000 BTU mini split? Will 3500-4000 BTU's cool (1) 1000W light?

Does the split have to be kept outdoors? If not kept indoors, does it cool as much or can it be hooked up to water?

Best wishes
How tall are the ceilings in your room? Are you using co2? Is it a sealed room? You need 6k btu per 1k watt light. The condenser stays outdoors if it is air cooled. No don't hook water to it lol.

MSH

MSH

How tall are the ceilings in your room? Are you using co2? Is it a sealed room? You need 6k btu per 1k watt light. The condenser stays outdoors if it is air cooled. No don't hook water to it lol.

Ceiling is 8 feet, not using co2. I wrote in the above post how I'm cooling the room now, not sealed.

If I can't have the condenser outdoors; what can I use than?

I thought I read somewhere that mini splits can be watercooled and therefore the condenser can be kept indoors. hehe.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Greetings THC Farmers. First post here. I am in SoCal, in need of AC advice. This is a room in a house, roughly 10'x11', but the ceiling slopes up, so it's got a little more air volume than a room with an 8' ceiling. I'm running a custom DIY LED system. Just over 1,200 watts covers 4o sq ft of grow area. It's hard to say exactly, but the heat generated is probably no more than a 1,000 watt HID or pair of 600's. Still, summer is here and the room definitely needs cooling.

I've already got an extra 8" ducting hole that vents to the attic. So, the easiest thing would be to get the $450 Hydrofarm portable AC and just plug it in. I think it would get the job done. If a mini split would be way more efficient and cheaper to run I'd rather do that though. I could put a condenser in the backyard. I've read that Excel and Aura aren't quite first rate, would probably want a Mitsubishi or Mr Slim (is it?), etc...

I was about to run to the hydro store and buy that portable, but figured I should ask here first. I will be glad to hire you (CannabisJohn) if necessary. Thanks.

Stay away from portables if possible. You need a 1 ton mini. PM me if you want to discuss pricing for unit and install.

R

RageKage

Do mini splits exchange air?
I keep reading that mini splits are the best solution for sealed rooms. I'm in the process of designing a sealed room, a true sealed room, with no intake or exhaust, non air cooled lights and a co2 tank.

I've been trying to research how mini splits work, and from what I gather, they just compress outside air and pump into the room. Wouldn't this create a positive pressure forcing air out of any small crack or crevasse?

Please help me understand how mini splits work in relation to a sealed environment.

Also, is there any advantage to going with a heat pump, other than the ability to heat the room, witch I will not need since my winters are very mild and my room will be very well insulated.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Do mini splits exchange air?
I keep reading that mini splits are the best solution for sealed rooms. I'm in the process of designing a sealed room, a true sealed room, with no intake or exhaust, non air cooled lights and a co2 tank.

I've been trying to research how mini splits work, and from what I gather, they just compress outside air and pump into the room. Wouldn't this create a positive pressure forcing air out of any small crack or crevasse?

Please help me understand how mini splits work in relation to a sealed environment.

Also, is there any advantage to going with a heat pump, other than the ability to heat the room, witch I will not need since my winters are very mild and my room will be very well insulated.

There are 2 parts to a mini split. The outdoor unit sits outside and the air handler is indoor part. The indoor part only cools air in space it is in. It takes the air in room and cools it. No added air from outside sources.

R

RageKage

There are 2 parts to a mini split. The outdoor unit sits outside and the air handler is indoor part. The indoor part only cools air in space it is in. It takes the air in room and cools it. No added air from outside sources.

Perfect. Thank you.

I plan on installing the compressor indoors, in an out door work shop, the building has exposed studs. What sort of clearance do i need for the compressor, or am I better off installing it outside under an awning?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Perfect. Thank you.

I plan on installing the compressor indoors, in an out door work shop, the building has exposed studs. What sort of clearance do i need for the compressor, or am I better off installing it outside under an awning?

Put it outside. No awning needed.

MSH

MSH

Looks like using a mini split is out of the question for me but I can get my hands on Kobol coolers.

What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with coolers like these? If so I would really appreciate a message from that someone :)

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Looks like using a mini split is out of the question for me but I can get my hands on Kobol coolers.

What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with coolers like these? If so I would really appreciate a message from that someone :)

That's only the indoor unit. You still need an outdoor unit. Plus that is for refrigeration not comfort cooling. If I were you I would use outside air with a supply and exhaust fan on thermostats. Also make sure you filter the air and scrub it for smell.

Top Bottom