Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Do you think I should get this version so I have more BTU if needed as long as all three units are not running max.

This unit comes with the branch box and free shipping so it seems like the best deal I can find.

Regarding the branch box would you mount that closer to the outdoor unit or closer to the indoor units? I need to figure out the length of line sets I will need.

Thanks

Branch box in most convenient spot. Extra btus with an inverter type outdoor unit.

B

Badpoor313

Branch box in most convenient spot. Extra btus with an inverter type outdoor unit.
I assume you mean it is ok to have extra btus with the inverter type outdoor unit.

Also if the shortest line set I can get is 15ft but the run needed is only like 7ft should I just coil the extra line?

Thanks

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

You know I'm no pro on this AC stuff like some of the others here in the thread but why do you all need the most expensive units 6500 bucks geezus I have had this single unit for a few years now and never had a single issue with it not one has lifetime warranty on compressor just compressor not whole outdoor unit and limited 5yr on the indoor unit I paid 600 buck$ (in the winter) to get it to my door with no install had to find my own ac tech but I had planed for this to begin with thanks again @Wesolidarity. I also know for sure they have multi port units way cheaper that the one u have picked out cuz I was going to get one and a few people in hear here talked me out of it since it was more than ever going to be needed in my 15x15 area however I did still get the one with optional Expansion tho so if I find a reason too I can hook up one more indoor unit but was told by my ac guy when and if I did this it would change the seer and the HSPF to a lesser value somehow (more energy used to keep freon cool i assume IDK) anyway you all that were here back then said you had not heard of this brand or anything before and to check back in with yall about how it works out well I am here to say it has worked flawless for me and my needs for just over two years or so now rocking it every day hols a perfect 72 here are a few photos of it
20150625 161204
20150625 161210
20150625 161326
20150625 161336

and if anyone can inform me why his would be so much better than mine please I would like to know.... there are only three countum 3 manufacturers for an ac compressor of these size and larger who have distribution to all the name brand companies who then just put the exact same main (most important) components in their products and slap some plastic or tin over them with a sticker of their brand and claim they are better than the rest other than the free advertising act in america how can they even compare themselves to one anotger if they are all the same other than who has the cooler looking shell and logo only thing that could even kind of make a difference for the consumer to buy a more expensive unit IMO is the warranty which is why I got the one I did. Now I do understand there are China models out there that have their own factory and make chepo compressor and other parts but anyone who lives in America and buys from China just aint no American people really not to smart to boot either

hopefully we can all run off this and have a fun clean debate about it without any pissing matches so we can all cram a bit-O knowledge in our noggins GLHF

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Just don't get a Turbo Air lol long story.... There factory techs and reps are a joke.

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Well that's kinda my point here what are you really paying for? and how much more is it worth to you?

comparing price vs warranty vs services provided vs the actual products

I'm sticking with warranty vs price with services close behind and calling the product itself void all together without falling out of the tier of ac we are talking about I'm curious what you all think and why?

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

I assume you mean it is ok to have extra btus with the inverter type outdoor unit.

Also if the shortest line set I can get is 15ft but the run needed is only like 7ft should I just coil the extra line?

Thanks

That's what I did in with my unit actually my ac guy did in a somewhat sloppy manner just a metal strip and a screw Into my wall but when I asked that question he said the units are usually charged for this amount of line if you cut it that builds pressure and he would have to re adjust the freon possibly a full drain and recharge and if you got to go more than that he will obviously have to add more freon for the extra line I just had him leave it as is and made it look more like a hose on the rack after he left I just put it up next to the outside unit on a garden hose rack for rolling your hose over dam its really hot and since the girls got the only ac in their room and it's sleepy time till 7 and that building is like a football field away to me rite now I'm going to pass up the pic lol but you get the idea without one I am sure

Last edited:
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

That's what I did in with my unit actually my ac guy did in a somewhat sloppy manner just a metal strip and a screw Into my wall but when I asked that question he said the units are usually charged for this amount of line if you cut it that builds pressure and he would have to re adjust the freon possibly a full drain and recharge and if you got to go more than that he will obviously have to add more freon for the extra line I just had him leave it as is and made it look more like a hose on the rack after he left I just put it up next to the outside unit on a garden hose rack for rolling your hose over dam its really hot and since the girls got the only ac in their room and it's sleepy time till 7 and that building is like a football field away to me rite now I'm going to pass up the pic lol but you get the idea without one I am sure

Your tech doesn't know what he talks about on charge. Shortest line is best. I'm a 20+ yr HVAC. I shorten line sets all the time with no ill effects. He's lazy and doesn't want to cut line and do proper install is what I suspect. Or he doesn't know for sure so he leaves it alone.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

You know I'm no pro on this AC stuff like some of the others here in the thread but why do you all need the most expensive units 6500 bucks geezus I have had this single unit for a few years now and never had a single issue with it not one has lifetime warranty on compressor just compressor not whole outdoor unit and limited 5yr on the indoor unit I paid 600 buck$ (in the winter) to get it to my door with no install had to find my own ac tech but I had planed for this to begin with thanks again @Wesolidarity. I also know for sure they have multi port units way cheaper that the one u have picked out cuz I was going to get one and a few people in hear here talked me out of it since it was more than ever going to be needed in my 15x15 area however I did still get the one with optional Expansion tho so if I find a reason too I can hook up one more indoor unit but was told by my ac guy when and if I did this it would change the seer and the HSPF to a lesser value somehow (more energy used to keep freon cool i assume IDK) anyway you all that were here back then said you had not heard of this brand or anything before and to check back in with yall about how it works out well I am here to say it has worked flawless for me and my needs for just over two years or so now rocking it every day hols a perfect 72 here are a few photos of it
View attachment 518493 View attachment 518497 View attachment 518500 View attachment 518501
and if anyone can inform me why his would be so much better than mine please I would like to know.... there are only three countum 3 manufacturers for an ac compressor of these size and larger who have distribution to all the name brand companies who then just put the exact same main (most important) components in their products and slap some plastic or tin over them with a sticker of their brand and claim they are better than the rest other than the free advertising act in america how can they even compare themselves to one anotger if they are all the same other than who has the cooler looking shell and logo only thing that could even kind of make a difference for the consumer to buy a more expensive unit IMO is the warranty which is why I got the one I did. Now I do understand there are China models out there that have their own factory and make chepo compressor and other parts but anyone who lives in America and buys from China just aint no American people really not to smart to boot either

hopefully we can all run off this and have a fun clean debate about it without any pissing matches so we can all cram a bit-O knowledge in our noggins GLHF

Never seen that unit before now. I had less than 1/2% failure rate with top of the line Mitshubishi units. Not saying your unit isn't good. What brand compressor?

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Rock on thanks for clearing that up cuz i did not think this made sense since the system is under extremely high pressure to begin with before popin the seal so as for the case of my guy I would assume a little of both cases lazy and outdated on HVAC as he is a retired hvac guy had been out the game for a couple years and just does side jobs like this to keep busy and buy booz or something I only payed him $100 which is like ten cents your guys money/pay so i did not expect much but him and a vacation to show up he came with the whole shit n shebang had an incident (my fault I believe) of a connection under the foam being half unscrewed and did a refil for me on the spot said it was his fault for not checking my work since I had done the entire install just had him for the vac and smarts really couldn't have asked for better giving the situation I was in at the time (full blown way outa line flowers) and summer was getting hotter every day girls dieing out and it's dead obvious what I do when you get to the property and I needed someone like you but there was none around so solidarity hooked me up with this guy's number letting me know he wouldn't say anything even to me about it just do his job and go and that is exactly how it happened he saw what no one else gets to live and up close didn't even flinch or seem to stare at nuthin trust me I was watching him like a hawk waiting for a celly to bust out as he silently goes back to his van but nope coolest semi/professional I could have asked for at the time

Last edited:
KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

@CannabisJohn I believe they call themselves INFINITY not sure if it's the ac wholesaler or manufacturer actually and not sure about all caps like that or not but that's how their company logo looks

Junk

Junk

First off, thank you for this wonderful thread.

I'm soon to do another grow room (or tent) 5'x9'

Where I am, summer time is the only problem. I usually run closed systems because I like to use co2. My temps average 85-90. But on really hot days, it can go as high as 95, which in my opinion, is too hot, even with co2.

I run 1250 watts of actual draw lighting. Fanned LED & vertical (hanging) bulbs. The led is the main cause of the heat. This lighting has been working out very well for me, so I will probably just purchase more of the same setup. The lighting has no ducting like an hid setup would. It just vents into the tent. This is the LED

Part of the current problem for me is that I run a DH in the basement, (tent is in the basement) which increases temps outside the tent, which increases temps inside the tent.

Is there something I could do better in that regard to stop the temp spikes? Like some sort of A/C that will continue to remove the humidity from the basement (my humidity is right where I want it using the DH) but stop contributing to the heat gain in the basement? In the winter my temps are good. It's a concrete block foundation, no windows. I do have a drainage pump/system though.

Or is there an option that would be better to use inside the tents? I know I said a closed system, but I can always change co2 settings to compensate for lost co2. Or I'll just put the cooling on a timer that best compliments the co2 augmentation.

Or, do you think I would be best to just build a larger room so that the room can handle heat?

This is pretty much the last step I need to get in line to get my conditions close to perfect, so any help or advice is appreciated.

p.s. My DH is about 10 years old, 70 pt. I've seen newer ones that claim to run "cool," but I don't know if that is going to be enough to solve my summertime heat issues.

lollipopman

lollipopman

@CannabisJohn I've been trying to find a good slim to get but having a hard time picking one, so i will have 2 rooms each room 5 1ks vert, plus 70 pint Santa Fe dehumidifier, also need It to have heat cause I'll be in mi. What do you recommend?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

First off, thank you for this wonderful thread.

I'm soon to do another grow room (or tent) 5'x9'

Where I am, summer time is the only problem. I usually run closed systems because I like to use co2. My temps average 85-90. But on really hot days, it can go as high as 95, which in my opinion, is too hot, even with co2.

I run 1250 watts of actual draw lighting. Fanned LED & vertical (hanging) bulbs. The led is the main cause of the heat. This lighting has been working out very well for me, so I will probably just purchase more of the same setup. The lighting has no ducting like an hid setup would. It just vents into the tent. This is the LED

Part of the current problem for me is that I run a DH in the basement, (tent is in the basement) which increases temps outside the tent, which increases temps inside the tent.

Is there something I could do better in that regard to stop the temp spikes? Like some sort of A/C that will continue to remove the humidity from the basement (my humidity is right where I want it using the DH) but stop contributing to the heat gain in the basement? In the winter my temps are good. It's a concrete block foundation, no windows. I do have a drainage pump/system though.

Or is there an option that would be better to use inside the tents? I know I said a closed system, but I can always change co2 settings to compensate for lost co2. Or I'll just put the cooling on a timer that best compliments the co2 augmentation.

Or, do you think I would be best to just build a larger room so that the room can handle heat?

This is pretty much the last step I need to get in line to get my conditions close to perfect, so any help or advice is appreciated.

p.s. My DH is about 10 years old, 70 pt. I've seen newer ones that claim to run "cool," but I don't know if that is going to be enough to solve my summertime heat issues.

You need a mini split and put the condenser outside.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

@CannabisJohn I've been trying to find a good slim to get but having a hard time picking one, so i will have 2 rooms each room 5 1ks vert, plus 70 pint Santa Fe dehumidifier, also need It to have heat cause I'll be in mi. What do you recommend?

Get a 3 ton Mr Slim for each room. Get a heat pump. The 3 ton is a bit overkill but won't hurt and allows for another light or 2 if you want in the future.

Junk

Junk

You need a mini split and put the condenser outside.

Meaning outside the tent/room? (I still haven't decided which I'm going to do) or outside of the house? Outside of the house would mean making a whole in the concrete. Which I am equipped to do, I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

I may be able to rig something with the dryer vent, as there is already a hole there.

For a 5 x 9 room with about 3kw of lighting what kind of power should I be looking for?

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Meaning outside the tent/room? (I still haven't decided which I'm going to do) or outside of the house? Outside of the house would mean making a whole in the concrete. Which I am equipped to do, I just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

I may be able to rig something with the dryer vent, as there is already a hole there.

For a 5 x 9 room with about 3kw of lighting what kind of power should I be looking for?

I am not sure if this is what you are asking in the ways of power but to run an ac and your system you are going to first need to make sure you're wiring in your house is up to participate to do this!!!? I just went out bought a bit of codex wire and installed a dual 50amp switch in my breaker box that trails off to a smaller box in my room with three 30amp breakers and a 15 amp overload switch on it so it does not blow the house breaker if i ever over amp be very careful doing this I recomend finding someone with knowledge of electrical wiring to help you out if you do not know how to do things like this. YOU CAN BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN IF DONE INCORRECTLY!!!! Also I use the 240's not 110's for power cords on everything

Not sure if this helps but hope it does

I do believe that @CannabisJohn is refering to the outside of the building but correct me if I am wrong

20150628 154011
20150628 154809
Junk

Junk

I have already run the electrical. Anything construction wise I may not be licensed to do, but I can usually do it. So you installed a sub panel in the actual room...I will think about doing that. Thanks for the help!

No, what I meant was btu's, but in re-reading my post, I can totally understand why you thought what you did. My bad. But thanks for the in depth help. I think I may install a sub panel like you did. I don't seem to be able to edit my own posts, or I would go back & fix it.

Interestingly, I also always go heavier on wire than is necessary too. I forget what gauge I ran, but it was originally for my new stove (I used what I had left). & that cable was overkill for the stove. I'm pretty sure it's 6 gauge. I don't do anything half-way.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Probably only need about 1 ton but get a 1.5 ton to be sure. Condenser needs to be outside the house.

Top Bottom