Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Doc G

Doc G

Hell ye I'm currently checking out the G-Room 1 as we speak, in love i have plans to rock out a bed or two in a depo.

DOGBUDS

DOGBUDS

Hey John,
Thanks in advance for all your knowledge. I just moved to Tri Cities WA from Oceanside CA and built a grow room in the shop(aka big ass garage). The grow room is 14x10x9 and is built out of metal framing studs and 1.5" EPS insulation sealed with metal tape. My question is what should I do about cooling, It gets hot here (110F) some days and I would like to run vertical lighting. I am currently renting out the room to a medical patient and I'm using there lighting, portable A/C so I have time to configure the perfect A/C setup. I can pretty much fix and do most things with little to no instruction so please keep this in mind if you have an idea for a custom setup. I have access to exterior(outside) 20" from the interior of my grow room. I will probably be running 6 1000w vertical and 4 600 watt vertical (down low in-between the plants). I would like an A/C system that I don't have to worry about rather or not it will be able to handle those hot days. The room is pretty efficient, when lights go out the A/C will shut off after a half hour and only come on 3 or 4 times with the outside temps being 95-100f. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated… Dogbud

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Hey John,
Thanks in advance for all your knowledge. I just moved to Tri Cities WA from Oceanside CA and built a grow room in the shop(aka big ass garage). The grow room is 14x10x9 and is built out of metal framing studs and 1.5" EPS insulation sealed with metal tape. My question is what should I do about cooling, It gets hot here (110F) some days and I would like to run vertical lighting. I am currently renting out the room to a medical patient and I'm using there lighting, portable A/C so I have time to configure the perfect A/C setup. I can pretty much fix and do most things with little to no instruction so please keep this in mind if you have an idea for a custom setup. I have access to exterior(outside) 20" from the interior of my grow room. I will probably be running 6 1000w vertical and 4 600 watt vertical (down low in-between the plants). I would like an A/C system that I don't have to worry about rather or not it will be able to handle those hot days. The room is pretty efficient, when lights go out the A/C will shut off after a half hour and only come on 3 or 4 times with the outside temps being 95-100f. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated… Dogbud

4 ton residential split system with air handler in room (won't need any duct). Or 2- 2 ton wall mount mini splits. That way if one unit goes down you can still run lights at 1/2 power until unit is fixed. Don't cheap out on the minis (Mitsubushi or LG). Both of these can be bought online.

lollipopman

lollipopman

@DOGBUDS cheapest place I've found to get mini splits is goductless.com

@CannabisJohn what's better a wall mount or ceiling mount

blazer

blazer

In my experience units operate the same but the wall units are much easier to access and work on Than cassette type units but should be same operation

Last edited:
Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Your gonna need linsets, disconnect for outdoor unit, condenser pad, 1/2" sealtight with fittings, on/off switch for indoor unit, copper pipe for drain line with fittings to install a trap, proper rated wire and breakers and fuses. Maybe a supply plenum depends how fancy you wanna get with the duct, a vacume pump with micrometer, dry nitrogen and soap for leak check, a multimeter, and 3 joints one before, one at lunch and one after the job lmao.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Hopefully it comes with a thermostat. Sometimes the lineset comes with thermostat wire 18/6. If not you need thermostat wire. Use gauges rated for r410a high pressure. Good luck

lollipopman

lollipopman

@CannabisJohn I'm having problems finding out how much amps each mini splits pulls. I'm needing to know on the 24k 33k and duel zone 48k btu lg's . Again thanks for your knowledge

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

@CannabisJohn I'm having problems finding out how much amps each mini splits pulls. I'm needing to know on the 24k 33k and duel zone 48k btu lg's . Again thanks for your knowledge

With exact model numbers I might be able to find the specs. In general 24k will draw around 20, a 33k will draw around 25, and a 48k around 30. That's at full load. If you have model call LG tech support

Tbone

Tbone

Could I please get a recommendation on the correct mini split size? Room is 11'x16'x8.5' high. 9 - Gavita 750 Flex lights that put out 2600BTUs each. Sealed room, 4 burner CO2 generator , 100 pint Dehumidifier?
I was planning on a 36000BTU unit but would like a confirmation from someone more experienced.
thanks ahead of time

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Could I please get a recommendation on the correct mini split size? Room is 11'x16'x8.5' high. 9 - Gavita 750 Flex lights that put out 2600BTUs each. Sealed room, 4 burner CO2 generator , 100 pint Dehumidifier?
I was planning on a 36000BTU unit but would like a confirmation from someone more experienced.
thanks ahead of time

I always recommend 2000 watts per ton of a/c for non air cooled lights. This accounts for room construction, dehueys, and any other heat loads. With that being said if u run the 750s at 825 watts each that equals 7425 watts which equals about 3.7 tons which is 44,400 btus. If you run them at 750 watts then you need about 40,500 btus. A few more reasons I use these calculations is to take into acct 100F days and almost no units actually are rated at their nominal tonnage. In other words a 36K unit only puts out about 33k. Check the specs. With all that being said a 36k unit will most likely serve just fine 95% of the time.

Tbone

Tbone

Thanks John! I thought I was a little on the light side.
Im trying to balance between having enough AC and ending up pulling too many amps. Larger than 36000 BTUs starts getting me close.
Thanks again

T

Tylrr420

Hey guys I'm thinking I need to upgrade
My mini and would like some opinions. It is an aura 36,000. Back when I installed it it was for 6 air cooled 1000s and I never had a prob cooling them. It has been about 18 months since installation (bought it used with I'm not sure how many hours). And since then i have added a water cooled co2 burner and one more gavita 600. I clean both the hamster cage and the condenser after every run. I take good care of it. I am looking into going to 8 1k air cooled and ripping out the gavita ( it was just a lil test light) I live in Michigan so the new mini split has to be able to operate in the frigid cold if thats the route I go. I'm pretty sure that my current mini split isn't inverter technology either so it would be nice to switch up to something with that for energy concerns. ( cause when it did used to cool the room properly it would be on for 10 minutes and off for maybe 5.) I used to have no problem cooling my room down to 79 and with this summer heat latley I can't get it below 86 . I also have a tech that just recharged it too and that did seem to help for about a month (maybe).

Top Bottom