Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

ill be installing my new 14k portable ac this weekend. ive been thinking about this for weeks now about a design change. I currently have the a/c cold air being "sucked" into my flower room by my 8" intake fan (fan sucks cold air into room, not force fed from the ac unit. the fan is about 1.5' from the floor on a side wall.

I was thinking about having the new a/c air fed/blown directly into the flower room via a new hole in the side wall up high (slightly higher than my hood ducting or equal in height, top of hoods are at 7'). the ac would then be pumping all the cold air in from the top, and then settling down to the floor (hot air rises, cold air sinks). my 8" intake fan would be on a timer to run 7-7 when the a/c is not running.

any ideas or should I just keep things as they are and as they have been for 4+ years w/o any issues?

Should work just fine either way.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

cool, ill leave as is and not mess with too many things. I do have 3x10" fans on the floor blowing up in the area of my 3x18" oscillating fans that blows the cool air over the entire 8x12x7 grow room.

J

johnconnor

Hey CannabisJohn I have a 11x11x9 room located inside a well insulated, air conditioned home. Would a 25,000 btu window unit be enough to cool 4-600 watt gavitas in a sealed room?

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Hey CannabisJohn I have a 11x11x9 room located inside a well insulated, air conditioned home. Would a 25,000 btu window unit be enough to cool 4-600 watt gavitas in a sealed room?
Yes only thing is the window unit is not efficient compared to a mini split with an inverter. The window unit is also loud/noisy. It should work though.

J

johnconnor

Yes only thing is the window unit is not efficient compared to a mini split with an inverter. The window unit is also loud/noisy. It should work though.

I would much rather use the mini split, but unfortunately cannot make any permanent modifications to this room as extreme as cutting holes in an exterior wall. Guess I could couple all the lines and run them thru the window but that would probably look more sketch than I'm willing to accept lol

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
I would much rather use the mini split, but unfortunately cannot make any permanent modifications to this room as extreme as cutting holes in an exterior wall. Guess I could couple all the lines and run them thru the window but that would probably look more sketch than I'm willing to accept lol
Yea man sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do to stay low key. Pros and cons to everything.

K

kushgrower420

john, thanks for all the knowledge and info passed down. i have learned a ton from reading your threads.
I took on a new project and now am running into a few set backs. i decided to put 7 tons of cooling(2x 25k windows,and one 3 ton mini) into a shed i built under a deck. the dimensions are 8x12x10. i had a hard time silencing it, but after i finally did, i did not have enough air flow to counter the heat. before i decide to drop another 2g on building materials and fans, I thought i would get confirmation that i was going into the right direction.

a little background on enviromnent, nights average 0-40 in winter(not concerned with winter) and 35-60 in summer.

going off of what I've read i will need roughly 500 cfm per ton to clear out all the heat. i was thinking of purchasing the 14'' v series fan to solve this problem(2900cfm). the other problem I will be running into is that i will need to cut holes for intake. I live in a residential area so i can't just cut a 3x3 and call it a day. i was thinking of putting 4 12''x12'' intakes around the bottom of the shed and build a structure on the inside to silence the new holes cut. i would build out a wall one foot and build up roughly five feet to either filters or forced air.
this is where I'm just not sure and would like your knowledge to fine tune this design

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

john, thanks for all the knowledge and info passed down. i have learned a ton from reading your threads.
I took on a new project and now am running into a few set backs. i decided to put 7 tons of cooling(2x 25k windows,and one 3 ton mini) into a shed i built under a deck. the dimensions are 8x12x10. i had a hard time silencing it, but after i finally did, i did not have enough air flow to counter the heat. before i decide to drop another 2g on building materials and fans, I thought i would get confirmation that i was going into the right direction.

a little background on enviromnent, nights average 0-40 in winter(not concerned with winter) and 35-60 in summer.

going off of what I've read i will need roughly 500 cfm per ton to clear out all the heat. i was thinking of purchasing the 14'' v series fan to solve this problem(2900cfm). the other problem I will be running into is that i will need to cut holes for intake. I live in a residential area so i can't just cut a 3x3 and call it a day. i was thinking of putting 4 12''x12'' intakes around the bottom of the shed and build a structure on the inside to silence the new holes cut. i would build out a wall one foot and build up roughly five feet to either filters or forced air.
this is where I'm just not sure and would like your knowledge to fine tune this design

What Heat are you trying to remove? Are the units discharging their heat from condensers inside something to silence it? Are you gonna have passive intake(s)?

K

kushgrower420

What Heat are you trying to remove? Are the units discharging their heat from condensers inside something to silence it? Are you gonna have passive intake(s)?
i am trying to remove the heat from the condensers, which have been placed inside the shed that needs to be exhausted out. i put them in the shed to silence the noise and not have 7 tons of cooling exposed to the public. the window units i put in are mounted through the wall into the shed. i am on the fence about putting in an active intake. i wanted to see if i could design a passive intake that wouldn't put too much back pressure on the 2900cfm fan exhausting the shed. not sure if this is relevant, but i run sealed rooms.the sheds air exchange has nothing to do with the rooms.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
if you want it quiet you need to have low FPM or velocity. So say 300fpm which is quiet have to move 2900cfm you need 100"x18" square opening or 4-25"x18" openings, if you go 400fpm which is a little louder but not bad you need 100"x14" square or 4-25"x14" openings.

Hope this helps bro! Sup CJ didn't mean to jump in bro but is what I do peace!

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

K

kushgrower420

Ok so I'm assuming the same applies for the intake as well? And will that work for passive or will it need to be active? And damn that's a large opening. Would I be able to get some sort of damper to be able to bring the noise down a bit if I go with a 24"x30" exhaust chute?

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Ok so I'm assuming the same applies for the intake as well? And will that work for passive or will it need to be active? And damn that's a large opening. Would I be able to get some sort of damper to be able to bring the noise down a bit if I go with a 24"x30" exhaust chute?
First question yes. Second question yes it is for passive.You don't wanna damper it because it will cause a restriction and that will raise airflow noise. If you install a shoot you have to account for restriction then opening can get bigger.
If you look at these numbers in the fittings it is equivalent to ft in straight duct. That is how much restriction those fittings create. Just an example.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Also if your condenser is running balls out full blast all the time what kinda pressures are you getting on the discharge line? Depending on refrigerant type you can install a VFD or a head pressure control so fans ramp up and down to maintain a head pressure. This will make your system run way more efficient in cold environments. Just a thought.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Also if your condenser is running balls out full blast all the time what kinda pressures are you getting on the discharge line? Depending on refrigerant type you can install a VFD or a head pressure control so fans ramp up and down to maintain a head pressure. This will make your system run way more efficient in cold environments. Just a thought.

Damn dude you're hogging all my glory. LOL. If he has good quality mini splits they should be able to provide cooling When it's pretty cold out. Mr Slim does down to 14F per manufacturer but I have reports that they provide cooling down to 0F and below. The other unit is a window banger which the condenser and indoor fans are same motor so no way to do any head pressure control.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Sorry bro ;) this condenser in a shed we don't do in Cali lol but I know they do this in cold environments to keep it from not freezing up.

I never ever recommend putting condensers inside. BTW I'm in Cali too. In this case he's doing it mainly for noise. IMO he should have gotten all mini splits which are quieter such as Mitsubushi (60 db at its loudest). Also think he's hiding them too.

Top Bottom