Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks, I'm in Oregon building a legal grow, smell is not much of a concern. do the splits save money in energy costs over the package units? I do like the fact if one split fails there is a backup. Are there any other advantages splits have over package units.

Depends on what you buy but typically splits can be bought in higher SEER ratings. Saves energy. Always best to have 2 or more units. Based upon your room size I wouldn't do any duct if you did splits with the air handlers in room in correct locations.IMO you should always be worried about smell legal or not. Criminals don't give a shit.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Thanks john, my existing flower room has a 4 ton carrier package unit it always starts stinky around week 6 of flower any way to tighten up the seals to stop the outside smell?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Thanks john, my existing flower room has a 4 ton carrier package unit it always starts stinky around week 6 of flower any way to tighten up the seals to stop the outside smell?

Extremely difficult. That's why I always recommend splits. You can seal up the unit with tape. Probably will help some but not all.

Sientz

Sientz

I used an inline fan with a carbon canister on each end inside the room, that way it scrubs the air inside the room without having to exhaust it out of the room. This might not fix your problem 100% but it would definitely help depending on the size of the carbon canisters and the inline fan you get.

NE Gardens

NE Gardens

Programming should be done thru tstat and humidstat not unit. I would not combine the two in one unit. I would get separate a/c and dehuey. If one breaks down you don't lose both functions. Also if that's a package unit I would avoid due to smell leakage on roof. Use split systems. Just my thoughts.

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated, thank you.

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
3.5 ton Good Man outdoor unit
R 410A
Crank Case Heater
ICM Pressure Controlled Head Master
Sight Glass
TXV Value
My question is what is the lowest pressure setting I can go to on a 410A I have it set to 195-200 Need the coolest air I can get without freezing the A Coil, shouldn't be a problem have more light then it can handle runs none stop till lights turn off temp holding 75-85 depending on location in the room , Plenty of Hot air coming out of outdoor unit and its only 6 outside.

Quantrill

Quantrill

depends on the txv really(minimum allowable pressure drop across it), but a rule of thumb is 100*F liquid at the txv inlet. With r-410a refrigerant, 100*F is 318 psig. So i would set the condenser fan control to maintain ~318 psig head pressure.

cond fan cycling is really quite limited in its ability to maintain head pressure in very cold climates. The proper control would be a condenser flooding valve, which is actually what a "Headmaster" (brand name) is.

S

shaypes

Well it appears that my thread disappeared from the forum during the server change. So here goes a new one. Ask away about your grow room a/c questions.
Is this forum still checked up on. I have a question about putting a mini split in an 8X24' sealed green house. What kind of btus will I need??

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

depends on the txv really(minimum allowable pressure drop across it), but a rule of thumb is 100*F liquid at the txv inlet. With r-410a refrigerant, 100*F is 318 psig. So i would set the condenser fan control to maintain ~318 psig head pressure.

cond fan cycling is really quite limited in its ability to maintain head pressure in very cold climates. The proper control would be a condenser flooding valve, which is actually what a "Headmaster" (brand name) is.

That's too high. I maintain between 225 and 300. 215 is off and 300 is on. It won't cycle too much. Works well here. Headmaster is a great valve when it works.

S

shaypes

Depends on climate and such
I live on the coast in the northeast u.s. Humidity is more of an issue while growing outdoors than the temps. Was hoping to address both with an mini split. I've searched and searched! There is next to zero info on putting ac in a greenhouse online. I'm putting a 24" inch exhaust in the gable end as a backup but I was going to run a closed room style setup with help from a mini split to keep thing cool and dry. You think it's possible?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I live on the coast in the northeast u.s. Humidity is more of an issue while growing outdoors than the temps. Was hoping to address both with an mini split. I've searched and searched! There is next to zero info on putting ac in a greenhouse online. I'm putting a 24" inch exhaust in the gable end as a backup but I was going to run a closed room style setup with help from a mini split to keep thing cool and dry. You think it's possible?

Need heat load calc done. Anything is possible.

N

NoFr1ends

anyone help me out? Hoa might not let me install a lineset for a split ac, or a window ac. Not sure what else are my options? try to do a stealthy double hose portable. Hmm let's see!

Last edited:
N

NoFr1ends

How big a/c is needed?

I'm thinking of using a 12000 but split ac. The room is 11x12. Im only running 2x 315w LEC . It was too hot with just fans and intake, so I am running my central. It's cold sometimes haha!

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
3 ton split. Just do it with out permission. Do you have a fenced back yard?

N

NoFr1ends

3 ton split. Just do it with out permission. Do you have a fenced back yard?
Yup just worried about lineset On my building! lol it's my townhouse so I'm not worried about a landlord. Pain in the arse

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

Nope..... ^^^;; you sir are over by alot.... and jumpin the gun. infact your kinda an ass for saying that..... @1d.
Far more information needs to be colkected before deciding what is the right AC for your individual grow....

such as are the vents located in a gokd position are there fans in the room blowing and much much more... please if your going to give advice atleast give proper advice

sixstring

sixstring

3 ton is way too big for 3 x 315w lec lol.just grab a 12000 btu portable or window shaker.if you use a mini split there will be a lineset to the condenser no matter what.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Nope..... ^^^;; you sir are over by alot.... and jumpin the gun. infact your kinda an ass for saying that..... @1d.
Far more information needs to be colkected before deciding what is the right AC for your individual grow....

such as are the vents located in a gokd position are there fans in the room blowing and much much more... please if your going to give advice atleast give proper advice
Overkill I always say there bud. Your kind of a dush for calling me names bud. Before you spouted out your shpeal maybe the conversation was Gona get more technical.

Top Bottom