Grow Room design-RDWC questions and ideas

• Thread starter Cool_Beans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

I've got a week or so before I start moving plants around so I want to make sure I've got everything I'm going to need.

I have flora trio, cal mag (2-0-0) epsom salt and hydroguard. My tap water is 7.5 pH so I have been using that to buffer, wondering if I should still be adding a silica product. I also have pH down but havent needed much since I end up at 6.5 or lower after mixing nutes. Trend seems to be very slow drift down through the pH range so far. Like .05 every 24hrs or so.

I would like to eventually use Jack's program since I used it on my soil grows and had good luck w it. Plus blue water>brown. I figured the GH route would be easier for my first go since a lot of folks use it. Still have time to procure the new stuff if anyone thinks it's worth it. Thanks guys.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I've got a week or so before I start moving plants around so I want to make sure I've got everything I'm going to need.

I have flora trio, cal mag (2-0-0) epsom salt and hydroguard. My tap water is 7.5 pH so I have been using that to buffer, wondering if I should still be adding a silica product. I also have pH down but havent needed much since I end up at 6.5 or lower after mixing nutes. Trend seems to be very slow drift down through the pH range so far. Like .05 every 24hrs or so.

I would like to eventually use Jack's program since I used it on my soil grows and had good luck w it. Plus blue water>brown. I figured the GH route would be easier for my first go since a lot of folks use it. Still have time to procure the new stuff if anyone thinks it's worth it. Thanks guys.
0.5 drift in 24 hrs is good

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Some PH info.

I read this and it mentions a slight drift up in pH as desirable, do you think with my relative stability the silica could potentially tip the scale so I would see upward drift vs downward? As I understand it has other benefits, so I should probably just add it to the buffet like sweetleaf told me lol. Thank you.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I read this and it mentions a slight drift up in pH as desirable, do you think with my relative stability the silica could potentially tip the scale so I would see upward drift vs downward? As I understand it has other benefits, so I should probably just add it to the buffet like sweetleaf told me lol. Thank you.
Yeah i think it would be of benefit

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hey beans, just be careful with all of that together. You can overdo it with N pretty easily, 2 of the 3 in the trio have high N, Cal-mag has N, and epsom and cal-mag are gonna compound on each other too.

Just take it easy on the cal-mag to start with and watch your plants close. If you develop any symptoms of lockout or deficiency, post it up quick. Of course this is all related to PH too. Different PH makes different nutes available for uptake.

It's a balancing act that I really struggled with when I was starting out. Too much love is almost always worse than not enough.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Not sure if you have a mitre saw or not, but it is the best thing I found for cutting pvc pipe cleanly and easily. Thats awesome you are taking classes. Cooking is my true love, so I went to culinary school on a whim at 46 and crushed the shit out of it. Overall fantastic experience. Both my daughters were also in college so we could all commiserate over math homework and exam time lol, it was awesome. Saved a ton on tuition having 3 in one household in college at the same time as well.

Edit- I learned that I could do technical math like Good Will Hunting if I got stoned first. Got a 96 in that class and was high af for every bit of it.
oh i'm soooooooooooooooooooooo glad i'm done with the math classes. that "single variable" calculus.... fuck that shit was hard. yes, math is used on software engineering, but rarely to the extent of those damned derivatives. Edit: if you are doing 3d modeling/graphics or NASA shit then you might need it. ah.. when i thought i "loved" math back when i only knew algebra... lol

culinary was something i debated myself. i really enjoy cooking.

That's awesome you did it late like I am. If i keep my ducks in a row i should graduate this year with my BAs @ 41

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Hey beans, just be careful with all of that together. You can overdo it with N pretty easily, 2 of the 3 in the trio have high N, Cal-mag has N, and epsom and cal-mag are gonna compound on each other too.

Just take it easy on the cal-mag to start with and watch your plants close. If you develop any symptoms of lockout or deficiency, post it up quick. Of course this is all related to PH too. Different PH makes different nutes available for uptake.

It's a balancing act that I really struggled with when I was starting out. Too much love is almost always worse than not enough.
I used what amounted to 50ppm of cal mag in my starting mix and subbed w epsom on week 2 re up. I planned on alternating them weekly and see what the plant says. I had my go arounds w cal mag in soil and can't say I'm a fan just yet lol. I'm not sure my tap has enough calcium or I'd do without it and just use the epsom.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

oh i'm soooooooooooooooooooooo glad i'm done with the math classes. that "single variable" calculus.... fuck that shit was hard. yes, math is used on software engineering, but rarely to the extent of those damned derivatives. Edit: if you are doing 3d modeling/graphics or NASA shit then you might need it. ah.. when i thought i "loved" math back when i only knew algebra... lol

culinary was something i debated myself. i really enjoy cooking.

That's awesome you did it late like I am. If i keep my ducks in a row i should graduate this year with my BAs @ 41
Dude I loved it. The kids were great and since I was older and had some restaurant experience the chefs let me get away with a lot so it made labs really fun. By 2nd semester they had me advising older prospective enrollees who were anxious about fitting in. Most proud of getting faculty to implement a substance abuse class in the program as well. Big problem in the entire hospitality industry and nobody does shit to warn these younger folks about it. *puffs joint*

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I used what amounted to 50ppm of cal mag in my starting mix and subbed w epsom on week 2 re up. I planned on alternating them weekly and see what the plant says. I had my go arounds w cal mag in soil and can't say I'm a fan just yet lol. I'm not sure my tap has enough calcium or I'd do without it and just use the epsom.
GH Micro (brown) is 5% Calcium. That and Epsom is really all you need. IMO.

I tend to go a little higher on brown and a little lower on green to get the right N amount.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Seriously such an awesome setup you have and so cool you’ve custom fit a perfect setup for your needs. Keep up the great work and really excited to see how fast she’ll take off!

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Seriously such an awesome setup you have and so cool you’ve custom fit a perfect setup for your needs. Keep up the great work and really excited to see how fast she’ll take off!
Thanks dude, I'm really glad I slowed down a little to create something I can manage more easily while I'm learning. Now I have two functional grow spaces to work with, so hoping I can speed up turnover once I get the ball rolling and take the pressure off needing big yields to last us between grows.

Latest posts

Top Bottom