Grow Room design-RDWC questions and ideas

• Thread starter Cool_Beans
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Oh they arent stainless, guess I'll have to source some. What's the issue, rust or corrosion or something?

This is sort of a test bed for bucket and setup ideas I had so when I build out a larger space down the road I have some things sorted out. I know it's probably overkill for this small closet but I'm just rolling with it. That's my only explanation lol.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Oh they arent stainless, guess I'll have to source some. What's the issue, rust or corrosion or something?

Yes. I'm not so worried about the hooks on top of the lid so much as the nuts and whatever you have threaded through it. They're going to be at close proximity to your nutrient solution. Not sure what Iron Oxide would do to your plants.

This is sort of a test bed for bucket and setup ideas I had so when I build out a larger space down the road I have some things sorted out. I know it's probably overkill for this small closet but I'm just rolling with it. That's my only explanation lol.

LOL! No worries! I get it. The first DWC I did was a complete experiment so I'm right there with you!

Maybe just drill some holes at the outer edge of the lid for your attach point?

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I love it personally. Options are the best.

If it's easier you can just grab a tube of silicone caulk or plasti-dip at the hardware store and cover up the bolts. You really only need to worry about heavy metals, iron and carbon based steel will not hurt your grow. In a perfect world a plastic like PET or Nylon is the best choice. I 3D print stuff like this to make it a no brainer.

Congrats on no leaks. That's pretty uncommon actually. But even if you get a tiny drip here or there, they will likely seal up by themselves in time once you start adding nutes.

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

You're putting those in a high humidity environment. Rust will ensue. Not worried so much about the outside so much as the inside. Not sure what iron oxide in your feed solution is going to do to your plants.
I had wondered the same thing Roots. I paid extra to get some plastic bolts to hold my tie down contraption for this very reason. Thanks for answering that question Moe.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

I felt confident it would work but still a relief. I think the best part was once the components were finished it went together in about 2min. All I have to do is set the bucket on the riser and thread the bulkhead collar down and it's ready to fill. Comes apart just as easily. Will something grow in it? I have no idea lol.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement fellas, this is so much fun and I havent even put a plant in it yet. Have a great weekend, I'll keep updating as I go.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I felt confident it would work but still a relief. I think the best part was once the components were finished it went together in about 2min. All I have to do is set the bucket on the riser and thread the bulkhead collar down and it's ready to fill. Comes apart just as easily. Will something grow in it? I have no idea lol.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement fellas, this is so much fun and I havent even put a plant in it yet. Have a great weekend, I'll keep updating as I go.
The big worry I would have with your piping is the bottom of the trash can flexing from the water pressure and allowing leaks although in your earlier pics it looks like they've reinforced it pretty good. I assume that your bulkhead came with a rubber gasket? You could use some plumbers putty if it starts to leak in that area.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Well if she blows out at least it's only ~20 gallons lol. I dont think its gonna leak though, I only hand tightened and they still havent let a drop through. These are pretty good bulkheads. Not banjos but they weren't $40 each either.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just paint on some plasti dip and seal em up even silicone will work

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I love it personally. Options are the best.

If it's easier you can just grab a tube of silicone caulk or plasti-dip at the hardware store and cover up the bolts. You really only need to worry about heavy metals, iron and carbon based steel will not hurt your grow. In a perfect world a plastic like PET or Nylon is the best choice. I 3D print stuff like this to make it a no brainer.

Congrats on no leaks. That's pretty uncommon actually. But even if you get a tiny drip here or there, they will likely seal up by themselves in time once you start adding nutes.
Maybe i should finish reading the posts before replying lol

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

I didnt have time to work on the room yesterday so I just left the water running and everything is still dry this morning. What is also encouraging is the water temp settled at 71f even though the area under the bench isn't insulated yet and the furnace is about 5ft away.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

This was my "can I root cuttings in my aerogarden and successfully transplant the plug to a 3inch netpot in a half-assed tub" experiment. I flipped them about a week ago once they were healthy and about a foot tall because I'm honestly jammed up for space until my project is done and didnt want 18hr lights running in the room w my flower tent. I'll see what they look like in a couple weeks when I can stick one in the new setup, but I'm not married to them by any means. Im just happy they came around and took off. I'm about to harvest so I'm good there. They are clones of a bagseed mother. I mean it was good ass weed but I have no idea what it is besides that.

20230115 085558
Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

I wanted to use the Aerogarden since Ive been using it to germinate my veggie plants for the last few years and Im already stocked up on all the plugs and cups etc. All the plants in this pic were germinated in one shot, about 3 weeks from seed to transplant.

20220415 101959
20220330 142123
Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

All but one of these cuttings made it. However, I left them in too long so in addition to major deficiencies I had to cut a hole in the bottom of the net pots to feed the roots through. Down the road I'll pull the sponge plug out of the cup as soon as I see hairs poke out and transplant. I like the idea of being able to drop a seed or clone in there and have the next stop be the netpot they will spend the rest of their days in.

20221215 092018
Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

My soil plants slowed down drinking the last few days and starting to ripen off so I let them get good and dry. I watered this morning and within 3hr at least half a dozen leaves started significant fading and this progressed throughout the day. Crazy to see that happen in near real time like that.

Cool_Beans

Cool_Beans

Getting to the home stretch. Probably another week on my tent girls then I can swap over the se3000 light and controller 69 from my tent. Ran a hose behind the door casing down to my drain valve so I can pump the water out the little basement window nearby and into my garden when I flush. I was pleased w myself for thinking of that one, not gonna lie lol.

20230118 133508
20230118 164723
20230118 164842
20230118 164652
20230118 121530

Latest posts

Top Bottom