Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bombnes

Bombnes

When I started my current grow I had 4 600w lights on one circuit....20amp breaker.....15amp outlets. Needless to say I am lucky the place didn't burn down. Now I was not familiar with electrical and the guy that was helping me was a moron. I figured something was up when I had to turn lights on at 25% and slowly bring them to 100. When I felt how hot my walls were getting I had to grab some extension cords and spread the load around. I then started reading up on how to install a new circuit and make it 240v. I took care of the electrical issue in about a week all while flowering a full room. Try to get into your next place early and take care of electrical and ventilation so you won't have the headache I had. My work is nothing like Hiboy's but it gets the job done without danger of fires and burnt pets. The cost was a whole lot less then hiring an electrician, which I didn't have the money for at the time.

B

Bangarang

I just had a powerbox 1200D burn up. The second hot (red) wire appeared to have came loose and arched inside of the box. Everything on that contacter/relay melted and there are char marks inside the box. I contacted a the hydro shop i purchased it from and they said that this is a common problem. It appears as if the wire just melted right off the contactor and the breaker didnt even pop. To top it all off Powerbox doesnt answer phone calls or return them.
What is another company or custom built light box that is reputable and can be supported?

Bombnes

Bombnes

I like the C.A.P controllers have never used anything else actually. I have had the same controller since I started a year ago. C.A.P 8 controller works great. Did your ballast and light get toasted as well?

Natural

Natural

I just had a powerbox 1200D burn up. The second hot (red) wire appeared to have came loose and arched inside of the box. Everything on that contacter/relay melted and there are char marks inside the box. I contacted a the hydro shop i purchased it from and they said that this is a common problem. It appears as if the wire just melted right off the contactor and the breaker didnt even pop. To top it all off Powerbox doesnt answer phone calls or return them.
What is another company or custom built light box that is reputable and can be supported?
Well that fukn sux monkey ballz! Thought Powerbox was supported better than that, Bangarang. Thanks for letting us know.
I've got a CAP that's about 6 years old and still running smooth. Although..they are made with cheap parts too..so far so good.
The guy at nowirenuts.com has some slick plug and play units..I think he's pretty much a small-batch one-man-band type of company and he uses top of the line parts. Pretty much everybody else uses the same type relays and contacts.

Offdarips

Offdarips

If you email Jeff at Powebox he will respond I deal with them all the time.

Olyver

Olyver

Jeff is a fucking retard and powerbox is a joke. Just find a qualified electrician and have them build a CEC or NEC compliant controller, can you imagine if your location caught on fire and burned to the ground or someone inside injured or died as a result.

Bombnes

Bombnes

Jeff is a fucking retard and powerbox is a joke. Just find a qualified electrician and have them build a CEC or NEC compliant controller, can you imagine if your location caught on fire and burned to the ground or someone inside injured or died as a result.

Olyver do you say that because you have had a different experience with Jeff at Powerbox?

Olyver

Olyver

I say that because his units are not safe, they look pretty but obviously are not well built. I am electrician and he used to be a car salesman. Find an electrician and have them build a unit if you can or contact me or Hiboy and get advice on how to build your own.

Ladyv

Ladyv

Well I didn't like reading that at all about Powerbox, I just brought home a 15000 today, planned on having it installed tomorrow. Now I think if I do, I'll have my electrician open it up and check the internal connections.

As I'm reading over the directions and making a shopping list for HD in the a.m., I noticed something that seemed odd, maybe I just don't understand, but because the shop where I bought it couldn't answer my question, and Jeff took an extended holiday until Monday, maybe one of you electricians can explain this:

The directions explain that if you are installing the 60 Amp box, you should use an 80 Amp breaker because standard breakers are rated at 80% for continuous load. I get that, they also say that you are to use 4 gauge wire to connect it to the breaker, I get that, what I don't get is why the pigtail on my 60 Amp box is only 6 gauge! Why would I run 4 gauge from my sub panel to a junction box, just to connect it to 6 gauge on the other side? Shouldn't my pigtail have been made of 4 gauge?

Thanks!!

Billyboat

Billyboat

Well I didn't like reading that at all about Powerbox, I just brought home a 15000 today, planned on having it installed tomorrow. Now I think if I do, I'll have my electrician open it up and check the internal connections.

As I'm reading over the directions and making a shopping list for HD in the a.m., I noticed something that seemed odd, maybe I just don't understand, but because the shop where I bought it couldn't answer my question, and Jeff took an extended holiday until Monday, maybe one of you electricians can explain this:

The directions explain that if you are installing the 60 Amp box, you should use an 80 Amp breaker because standard breakers are rated at 80% for continuous load. I get that, they also say that you are to use 4 gauge wire to connect it to the breaker, I get that, what I don't get is why the pigtail on my 60 Amp box is only 6 gauge! Why would I run 4 gauge from my sub panel to a junction box, just to connect it to 6 gauge on the other side? Shouldn't my pigtail have been made of 4 gauge?

Thanks!!

Breakers are rated for 80%, wire doesn't follow the same rule, but 6 AWG will be fine.

I have 3 Powerbox units, 4 Titan's, and 2 custom ones that I made.
I haven't had any issues with any of them.
I have had a buddy who's PB melted somewhere on the inside, I have a buddy who had a CAP fry, and I've seen a Titan controller melt a pigtail on the inside.

Shit happens.

Ladyv

Ladyv

Thanks Billy, I know shit happens, I just try to do everything I can to make sure it doesn't happen to me ;)
After working myself up that I might have made a poor equipment choice, I decided to medicate....so I'm feeling pretty :cool: right now....Can you please clarify -

Are you saying the 6 AWG pigtail will be fine to connect to the junction box wired with 4 AWG to the sub, OR that its ok to use 6 AWG on the 80 Amp breaker from sub panel to junction box?

PB will be running 10 lights (8 1k and 2 600's) + a couple 8" fans

Billyboat

Billyboat

Thanks Billy, I know shit happens, I just try to do everything I can to make sure it doesn't happen to me ;)
After working myself up that I might have made a poor equipment choice, I decided to medicate....so I'm feeling pretty :cool: right now....Can you please clarify -

Are you saying the 6 AWG pigtail will be fine to connect to the junction box wired with 4 AWG to the sub, OR that its ok to use 6 AWG on the 80 Amp breaker from sub panel to junction box?

PB will be running 10 lights (8 1k and 2 600's) + a couple 8" fans

I'm saying that 6AWG all the way will be fine.

Cheers

N

No199

ok so im relatively new to all this i have a great base of knowledge but not in the electrical dept. i just moved into a nice 2 level condo and i want to use an upstairs room for this. i have old fuses in the house a fusebox with 15 and 20 amp fuses so i know its out of the question BUT there was a second box installed not long ago and it has breakers to run the dryer and a roof warmer. the roof warmer has a 20 amp breaker and the dryer i think is running 2 30s side by side. i didnt want to mess with the dryer but the roof warmer is expendable. if i was running just one 1000 watt hps on a wire ran from the roof warmer breaker to the outlet to plug in the light is that safe? im going to buy good wire and i mean the correct wire for the amps. i know the light is like almost 9 amps at power up im just assuming the 20 amp breaker will be safe while its running. also i might have to run the wire under carpet to conceal it im also assuming that if i have good gauge wire it wont pose an issue. any input would be greatly appreciated i cant seem to find anyone with this similar situation,

Natural

Natural

So basically I Am going to run 2 - 600w Digital Ballasts, 2 - 4" (i forgot exactly what i have right now) CFM Fans, and run them either Both from One Heavy Duty Timer from Lowe's/Home Depot, or should i just run each pair in one Timer? Or is this still too much? Also... planning on using 7 - (6 x 23w CFLs) Grow Containers with Computer fans in each, and like 4 - (4 x 23w CFLs) Mother/Clone Chambers, All running off of the Three Main Wall Outlets in the room. Is this fine or too much? Planning on using a total of AT Least 2 Timers, probably 3. Unless you think i should do more? i Did the Grow Containers all 11 for the past couple years just running off 2 Timers. i Just don't want to risk Anything.!
every timer has a max watt rating written on the back...usually about 1000w-1500w..I would pay close attention to that. A 15amp wall circuit will let you run 1440 watts safely..figure out if those receptacles are on the same circuit..check other rooms to see what's on that circuit as well. Then add all that shit up and see.

ok so im relatively new to all this i have a great base of knowledge but not in the electrical dept. i just moved into a nice 2 level condo and i want to use an upstairs room for this. i have old fuses in the house a fusebox with 15 and 20 amp fuses so i know its out of the question BUT there was a second box installed not long ago and it has breakers to run the dryer and a roof warmer. the roof warmer has a 20 amp breaker and the dryer i think is running 2 30s side by side. i didnt want to mess with the dryer but the roof warmer is expendable. if i was running just one 1000 watt hps on a wire ran from the roof warmer breaker to the outlet to plug in the light is that safe? im going to buy good wire and i mean the correct wire for the amps. i know the light is like almost 9 amps at power up im just assuming the 20 amp breaker will be safe while its running. also i might have to run the wire under carpet to conceal it im also assuming that if i have good gauge wire it wont pose an issue. any input would be greatly appreciated i cant seem to find anyone with this similar situation,
20 amp is plenty..maybe put wiring in some flexible metal conduit to be on the safe side

N

No199

20 amp is plenty..maybe put wiring in some flexible metal conduit to be on the safe side

thx so much for the reply !

ok so that sounds like a safe way to do this ? if it already exists and i just change the wires and put a plug on it all proper of course i shouldnt have any issues ? would the dryer pose an issue if running at the same time ? its on its own breaker but in the same box. id assume since its already hooked up that way and runs together it shouldnt be any different right ?

Natural

Natural

thx so much for the reply !

ok so that sounds like a safe way to do this ? if it already exists and i just change the wires and put a plug on it all proper of course i shouldnt have any issues ? would the dryer pose an issue if running at the same time ? its on its own breaker but in the same box. id assume since its already hooked up that way and runs together it shouldnt be any different right ?
The thing is..nothing really wrong with fuse boxes..bottom line..they work. But at most these boxes are only 60 amps. Alot of times subpanels will be added to make for additonal room..i.e. 220 dryers..220 ac's etc. IMVHO these should be upgraded to a flipper-type circuit panel.
With that said..if things were installed and up and running before you found it..chances are it's fine.

N

No199

thank you so much i just dont want to burn the place down lol. good looking out man much appreciation

Jamz

Jamz

Hello

I have a 400 watt magnetic ballast, 6 inch inline fan, and a small oscillating fan set up in my closet and I plan to use my bedroom outlet as a power source. My small apt has 4 circuits- a 15amp for the household lights, 20 amp for the outlets, 20 amp for the refrigerator, and 60? amp for the stove. The other items on the outlet circuit would be a TV, two laptops, small dehumidifier, and sometimes a sound system. The dehumidifier is only used when the lights are out. There is also the heater but we never use it. Is it safe for all of these on one 20 amp circuit?

Next question is about the discovery of open grounds on all of the outlets except the outlet where the heater plugs into. I used an outlet tester and later turned off all of the breakers and opened some outlets. The heater outlet has something attached to it for the thermostat I believe, and there is what looks like a ground wire attached to the outlet itself coming from it. The green screw is not used on the outlet even though the tester says it is correctly wired. On another outlet there are 3 wires, but the two blacks are connected with each other and the green screw is not used. The third outlet has only two wires and the green screw is not used. I think this means I have old wiring and 3 prong outlets were installed in the place of 2 prong outlets. This means it is also against code correct?

I am thinking of taking down the tent and calling the landlord but obviously would rather not! Thanks famers!

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I would just run a fresh line from your electrical box for the tent. At least then you know it's wired right.

Natural

Natural

Have no idea what your tv and laptops pull in watts. You can safely run 1,920 watts on a 20 amp 120v receptacle. 3 prong outlets that are wired for 2 is a code violation. These should be clearly labeled to avoid being illegal. It happens and is very common for a weekend warrior type landlord to have in place. But do you really want to raise the fuss now?
Besides changing back to a 2 prong outlet..he would have to label them clearly or have the place re-wired. If you want to have a safe outlet, install a gfci protected outlet or rewire it yourself if you have that type of experience.

Latest posts

Top Bottom