Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

extra ground rod on the panel even if the meter is grounded is a plus imo.i actually never seen a meter box have its own ground,its always grounded to the main panel.here in michigan you need 2 x ground rods for the main panel spaced 6 feet apart but not more than 10 feet.

G

gezzel

i have a 30 amp 240v grounded outlet in my attic ( where my grow currently is ). i want to move it downstairs. would it be cheaper if i just asked an electrician to move the outlet, or just have him wire a new 240 where i want?
i would need him to wire another 240v for an AC unit as well.

Last edited:
dorjewright

dorjewright

Are the grounding rods connected in parallel or series?
extra ground rod on the panel even if the meter is grounded is a plus imo.i actually never seen a meter box have its own ground,its always grounded to the main panel.here in michigan you need 2 x ground rods for the main panel spaced 6 feet apart but not more than 10 feet.
Would the rods be connected in parallel or series?

Natural

Natural

ya but not always is it required to have 2. If a place has 2 rods..that means the first one didn't test out to resist 25 ohms. Basically if you have 2 rods they count as one and they would both relate to the grounding of the main panel or i.e. the meter/service. Speaking to sub-panels..they are not required unless you run to an outbuilding. Then that sub would be grounded by both locations. @sixstring did your inspector give you a hard time this last go round?..lol She sounded like a hard ass :)

sixstring

sixstring

ya but not always is it required to have 2. If a place has 2 rods..that means the first one didn't test out to resist 25 ohms. Basically if you have 2 rods they count as one and they would both relate to the grounding of the main panel or i.e. the meter/service. Speaking to sub-panels..they are not required unless you run to an outbuilding. Then that sub would be grounded by both locations. @sixstring did your inspector give you a hard time this last go round?..lol She sounded like a hard ass :)
yes she was a complete cunt throughout the whole process.im so glad she passed my final and is now locked out of my shop for life lol.yeah in livingston county the new rule is 2 rods 1 wire spaced 6 to 10 feet.

dentonland

dentonland

i have a 30 amp 240v grounded outlet in my attic ( where my grow currently is ). i want to move it downstairs. would it be cheaper if i just asked an electrician to move the outlet, or just have him wire a new 240 where i want?
i would need him to wire another 240v for an AC unit as well.
Only way to know this is to know the layout of your house
If your panel is by the new location then that's the way to go
Hb

Alice D

Alice D

Hey guys it's been so long since I've had the luxury of growing my own dank. Almost three years now,unbelievable really but I'm starting over completely. I lost every bit of equipment I had along with my seed collection that was extensive. It's been super tough to say the least. It's taking a lot of patience to get growing again. Went from having any & every piece of equipment I could've needed or wanted to absouletly nothing. I'm in So Cal these days if any of my old friends or new friends im still to meet have anything extra I'd be way grateful. Anything indoor related nutes,lights,fans,AC,GENETICS? Really anything but I don't have much cash right now but you guys know I'll make right just give me 100 days. I'm sure we can figure something out. For growers that don't know me I have multiple grow logs in the under current section. Water culture is my passion but I'm probably going to have to build up to that style growing again. Twenty solid years of growing I've used every medium so I'm open to setting up this new room. I do have a nice SUV so I'll travel whereever needed to pick up any extra equipment any kind farmer wants to bless me with. I just moved into 5bd with a 3 car garage so I'm ready someone please help. Thank you farmers. Now to my question..
So I was hoping someone could help me with a wiring question. I just got a intermatic digital spa timer & im trying to make a 4 gang light controller but for some reason I can't remember how to wire these in series? Do I have to make a pig tail for each plug or can I wire them plug to plug together? And wiring up this timer I'm unsure about. Everything online I've been able to find is for the traditional style timer & they only have 3 spots for wiring. This timer has 4 spots for wires. There's a switch on the back for desired voltage. Of course I switched it to 240v & I've got all the wire ran to timer & all the plugs & 4 gang box. Don't want to smoke the only two ballast I got or this new timer. Hope that makes sense. I'll post a picture. Thank you farmers message me if you can help.

Natural

Natural

Hey guys it's been so long since I've had the luxury of growing my own dank. Almost three years now,unbelievable really but I'm starting over completely. I lost every bit of equipment I had along with my seed collection that was extensive. It's been super tough to say the least. It's taking a lot of patience to get growing again. Went from having any & every piece of equipment I could've needed or wanted to absouletly nothing. I'm in So Cal these days if any of my old friends or new friends im still to meet have anything extra I'd be way grateful. Anything indoor related nutes,lights,fans,AC,GENETICS? Really anything but I don't have much cash right now but you guys know I'll make right just give me 100 days. I'm sure we can figure something out. For growers that don't know me I have multiple grow logs in the under current section. Water culture is my passion but I'm probably going to have to build up to that style growing again. Twenty solid years of growing I've used every medium so I'm open to setting up this new room. I do have a nice SUV so I'll travel whereever needed to pick up any extra equipment any kind farmer wants to bless me with. I just moved into 5bd with a 3 car garage so I'm ready someone please help. Thank you farmers. Now to my question..
So I was hoping someone could help me with a wiring question. I just got a intermatic digital spa timer & im trying to make a 4 gang light controller but for some reason I can't remember how to wire these in series? Do I have to make a pig tail for each plug or can I wire them plug to plug together? And wiring up this timer I'm unsure about. Everything online I've been able to find is for the traditional style timer & they only have 3 spots for wiring. This timer has 4 spots for wires. There's a switch on the back for desired voltage. Of course I switched it to 240v & I've got all the wire ran to timer & all the plugs & 4 gang box. Don't want to smoke the only two ballast I got or this new timer. Hope that makes sense. I'll post a picture. Thank you farmers message me if you can help.

I bet your kid is getting big these days. Always loved your work...especially that sour d. Great luck getting the show going again bro. Maybe repeat this post in your old grow thread too.

For the timer..let's call it a T-103 (haven't wired a digi one yet)..it's probably 4 wire because they're allowing a neutral to run the spa clock on 120v, while running everything else at 240v. Typically, we never run our 240 volt plugs in a series, here in the US. I would just pig tail all of them to bigger gauge and then to timer.
Take a look at an old school (non digi) intermatic diagram..should be very similar situation..where we can just forego the neutral and just run the 2 hots with a ground.But google your exact timer..should for sure be a wiring diagram available.
Peace bro

T 103 240 400

hiboy

hiboy

The T103 does 240 V the T101 does 120 V but they can both be ran either way meaning the timer motor can be either voltage
A simple way would just be to pigtail your outlets
I wouldn't supply them more than with a 30 amp breaker
Because your outlets will be wired with number 12 wire and that has a maximum amperage of 20 amp
Hb

Alice D

Alice D

The T103 does 240 V the T101 does 120 V but they can both be ran either way meaning the timer motor can be either voltage
Because your outlets will be wired with number 12 wire and that has a maximum amperage of 20 amp
Hb
i used
Hb
ya I used 10 gauge that's what I had & yes 30 amp breaker with 6 outlets. Thanks for help

Quban

Quban

Hi everyone...especially hiboy!

I have been doing a-lot of reading and I have seen your name pop up hiboy since 2012 or earlier you have been helping people with your advise and man I cant say enough how much it is appreciated!

Here is my issue and thanks again for your time in advice everyone!

I have just moved into a residence with a 200 amp service. There is a detached garage that I would like to set up for indoor. The garage has already been wired in the past, there is a sub panel in the garage but there is no power to the outlets or the sub panel. There are 2 lines coming into the garage. One its cut and there is no power going to it the other is going to the sub panel and also has no current. I dug up where the cable was going into the ground from the garage and followed the tube, I found it rusted open in one spot and no cable in site, seems it rusted out...

So this is my issue. I need to run a new line from the main breaker to once again feed power to the sub-panel in the garage. Sounds easy enough right? Well the pickle continues. The main panel is not labeled. I have been doing my best to label as many breakers as possible. I have a square d panel with 20 slots...all are filled up...and to top it all off. The house is on 1.5 acres of land and the 200 amp service feeds 2 studio apts (with no kitchens) along with the main house and potentially the garage after i am done with it. The first thing I need to do is find out how much free space I have in my breaker box so I know how much current I have to play with potentially in the garage.

Here are some pics of my main panel below, if you notice the top double pole is in the off position. that one i know for sure is unused and i think its what was used for the garage sub panel initially because its 40 amps in the garage as well (2 20 amp breakers in the sub panel box).

There are a total of 11 breakers that I still have no identification for. Is there any way for me to identify what is going to a studio apts from the breaker with out having access to the apts?

Thanks again and sorry for the long explanation. This is only the beginning of my plans and I want to make sure things are done right the first time around.

Thank you all so much.
Q

0204171341a
Quban

Quban

Tomorrow I will post pics of the sub panel in the garage and the labels I have made on the main panel cover.

hiboy

hiboy

Tomorrow I will post pics of the sub panel in the garage and the labels I have made on the main panel cover.
How big of an operation do you want in the garage I would suggest a minimum of 125 A which would be number two wire and the PVC pipe size would be 1.5"
It's pretty hard to know where breakers go without access to the units
Also if you look at your panel you could see the miniature breakers so you do actually have a lot more room than you think if you convert the bigger size to a split breaker
Hb

Quban

Quban

Hello hi boy!

thank you for the response I would love to put 125 amps in there how would I calculate what the max the house would consume with everything running so I know what's the max that I can put in the garage of the two hundred amp service total?

I have attached a picture with the labeling that I have figured out so far I only have three Breakers which I don't know what they're for they are in the off position and unlabeled the 30 amp double pole that is unlabeled I believe is for an AC unit that is no longer installed in the main house and the 40 up above as stated is not being used either and it's in the garage I believe.

hiboy

hiboy

Hello hi boy!

thank you for the response I would love to put 125 amps in there how would I calculate what the max the house would consume with everything running so I know what's the max that I can put in the garage of the two hundred amp service total?

I have attached a picture with the labeling that I have figured out so far I only have three Breakers which I don't know what they're for they are in the off position and unlabeled the 30 amp double pole that is unlabeled I believe is for an AC unit that is no longer installed in the main house and the 40 up above as stated is not being used either and it's in the garage I believe.

One thing I've learned is that you don't believe what the panel says because so many things get changed and updated and panel labeling is not always accurate
Go ahead and run your 125 amp you can always derate the sub breaker if you have a problem with the house tripping the main but looking at your panel it is highly doubtful that it will
Hb

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

I am a magnetic ballast user and as curious if i could ask any of your experianced electric guys/gals could help me to maximize my equipment without sending a red flag to my energy company?

Natural

Natural

I am a magnetic ballast user and as curious if i could ask any of your experianced electric guys/gals could help me to maximize my equipment without sending a red flag to my energy company?
honesty, that's the wrong kind of paranoid thinking imvho. Not paying your bill..ganja smells..and heat signatures will raise more flags than any ballast use will ever reveal. But to give you a simple answer that isn't far too technical that a layman can understand..you could use a power conditioner to suppress the ballast noise. Other than that you would need to build a device of your own to hide ballast noise...which is super complicated, basically requiring an electronics degree.
I say beef up all your other safeguards.

THELORAX802

THELORAX802

No what i mean is this natural.........How do i say this...........ive UPGRADED from 1200 flowering watts too 2400 watts all 600 hps. I do also have open wing pulse start MH's (400), i had a pheno hunt go really well and just havent ever used more than say..........1600 watts at a time during cycles and i'd like to double it or increase it without the smart meters going LOOK AT ME HOLYFUCKEN SHIT ITS A WELDING SHOP! lol! I have worked triple phase primaries trimming prob branches,tree's, etc but i really don't have a full understanding of basic's! All this and i have an eletricians bag too! I am a mmj patient, actually worked for a local disp before i realized how badly he was ripping folks off, whoops off topic my bad.............
20170208 114556
20170208 114603
20170208 114611

Latest posts

Top Bottom