Growers Utilizing Cob Lights

• Thread starter Dan789
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

FutureGrower

You guys seem very knowledgeable can i ask an led question this light is 8x cree 3950's@550w/dimmable hung in a 4x4 mammoth tent they are roughly 6ft tall tent its on a lightrail mover.

How close would you hang it at various stages i dont think i can even use it full power in veg.

Start at 24" and get closer as time goes on, you'll see what your plants like over a little time. If you have the same light for veg and flower DON'T turn it up all the way til flower, atleast I dont. I dont go beyond 70% or so, but when I go into flower I turn it up.

B

Burned Haze

(Vero 29 v2 is what i use)

Go at 12 inches without reflector , 14-20 (16 inches sweet spot) with reflector . Key is dimming from lowest dim % in start and keeping the light proper inches away .

Having the light at full blast light or dimmed but inproper distance ( like 20+ inches ) just propmotes the plant to get stretchy and you lose par’s (every inch your closer you can get and not stress = game )

mattb

mattb

Thanks guys . I was wondering if it would be better dimmed real close or further away cranked. I really thought the light rail would allow me get it closer

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
In my case it’s a combo of the shortened photoperiod and using far red leds to simulate the Emerson effect.
OK...you have mentioned it a few times and I'm too damn lazy today to look it up...What is the Emerson effect? Been growing for 30+ years but I don't get out much...kind of an old hippie living in the local ridges. What exactly is it?:cool:

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
That is a real interesting point. But hps has limited blues and no uv really compared to sunlight or cmh.

So maybe hps increases flowering time. Because i ran 3 rounds of 3 known cuttings to test.

By the way.

Best results for quality and yield were using both hps and cmh overlapped.
My best results is the overlap area between a MH and a HPS system. I'm adding some extra blue to the finish this year to see if I see any difference.

mattb

mattb

Google is always faster than forum

The Emerson effect is the increase in the rate of photosynthesis after chloroplasts are exposed to light of wavelength 680 nm (deep red spectrum) and more than 680 nm (far red spectrum). When simultaneously exposed to light of both wavelengths, the rate of photosynthesis is far higher than the sum of the red light and far red light photosynthesis rates. The effect was early evidence that two photosystems, processing different wavelengths, cooperate in photosynthesis.[1]

HistoryEdit

Robert Emerson described the eponymous effect in 1957.[2] In his paper he observed that:

1. When plants are exposed to light having wavelength greater than 680 nm, then only one photosystem is activated; i.e. PS700resulting in formation of ATP only.
  2. When plants are exposed to light having wavelength less than 680 nm, the rate of photosynthesis was very low.
  3. On giving both shorter and higher wavelengths of light, the efficiency of the process increased, because both photosystems were working together at the same time, resulting in higher yield

New school

New school

Like this.
20190315 224238 HDR
add 440 blue and uv florescent.
20190315 224354 HDR
don't have one with the cobs on. Lol

New school

New school

Still dialing it in. Last harvest 7.2oz in 8cuft or pure fire.
20190314 150217
Green Crack a little fluffy but a great smoke.

New school

New school

I have a Sonoff 4ch for 110v ac and a Sonoff Pro 4ch for 12v dc and a Storm controller to ramp up and down. Cobs are 4 Cxm22 90cri 3000k and 4 Cxm22 90cri 3500k.
20190207 123229 HDR
20190207 123309

F

FutureGrower

I have a Sonoff 4ch for 110v ac and a Sonoff Pro 4ch for 12v dc and a Storm controller to ramp up and down. Cobs are 4 Cxm22 90cri 3000k and 4 Cxm22 90cri 3500k.View attachment 862937 View attachment 862938

So from the driver you connect your dimmer to the wifi control, to a dimmer, to your storm unit is that correct? I've been wondering how that works because the storm units claim they dont work with meaning B series I thought.

Thank you man!

Paldo

Paldo

Its a good conversation. You have the right attitute! Better than mine. Lol. I tend to argue. :)

I did both. Read for likely 1000’s of hours by now and have been growing for 5 years perpetually. Also have worked in the black market with commercial growers since the 80’s. Just never gardened before i got my medical card here in michigan.

When i joined the forums about 3 years ago i took some clones and tested all the main topics. Flushing to different light bulb types.

And all my results match the university agriculture info. For example. The university of michigan has been testing indoor grow lighting for years. They are now testing discreet colored diodes and specific growth.

Blue helps more with with compact leafy growth and continued plant health and red helps more with elongation and flowering.

The hortilux super hps is said to have 25% added blue and did better for resin production in my room than a cheap plantmax hps.

When i added a blue mh to the super hps resin went up even more. But so did leafier plants and buds. And yield went down.

Cmh further reduced yield. The mh was a 600w. But also helped keep plants shorter and greener.

I think 2 600 hortilux hps and one phillips 315 3100k for a 4x8 area would be about perfect for flowering.

Or of course a similar ratio with led. Which i bet 3000k setups are close to.

Wow, nice review. But do I understand it corectly? Adding more blue spectrum for flo, let's say 5000k will give me higher thc level but less weight? And do U recomend it?

What about adding far and deep reds to 3000k cobs? It will rise rasin producion also, but without less weight effect?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Wow, nice review. But do I understand it corectly? Adding more blue spectrum for flo, let's say 5000k will give me higher thc level but less weight? And do U recomend it?

What about adding far and deep reds to 3000k cobs? It will rise rasin producion also, but without less weight effect?

You have to try it with your strains. Far red is for flower initiation. And uvb can increase thc and possibly fuller blues as they help keep plants healthier.

But hps gave better structure and more and bigger flowers so its a balance. No one is complaining or even noticed when i added the cmh or of it was just cmh and could not pick during blind testing.

If you are selling in the legal market and thc level is important than i recomend uvb added at least the last two weeks.

But higher thc does not mean a better high in my opinion. But you can get tests up a few percent for sure.

Like 23% can get over 25% but who will feel the difference?

Paldo

Paldo

So all reds is for flower initiation only? So no sens to use it? I thought that better spectrum will give better weed? What do U meen with initiation? If I want flowers, I turn the lights into 12/12, no need for other initiation here...

So there is no sens to adding blue or red to spectrum and mix of 3000k and 3500k is just perfect for ower plants?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So all reds is for flower initiation only? So no sens to use it? I thought that better spectrum will give better weed? What do U meen with initiation? If I want flowers, I turn the lights into 12/12, no need for other initiation here...

So there is no sens to adding blue or red to spectrum and mix of 3000k and 3500k is just perfect for ower plants?

I have not used led in my rooms. My old caregiver used cobs but i didnt know much about them then. Does seem the best grows i have seen use 3k to 3500k.

They are identifying prosseses with different wavelengths all the time. The universities are studying effects now.

But these things are in diminishing returns. I dont know everything thats for sure and every room and grow is different.

But basically more blue gets you more and greener leaves and more compact growth. And more reds give stretch and more flowers.

I just use ge 6500k t-5 flourescents for 5-6 week veg and 2 600 watt hortilux super hps for flower. When i add my 315 cmh or a metal halide like hortilux blue the plants stay shorter and greener longer. And more colors come out than hps alone.

But more stretch managed properly is more yield and the “better” weed is subjective. Like i said no one could tell which was which in our tests. And we are pretty old and experienced smokers.

Top Bottom