Growing in 3rd World Conditions.

• Thread starter Zerberus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zerberus

Zerberus

The light really isn't adequate. It looks like the second one just hasn't started yet - they both might become spindly until you get them better light. They look healthy though, otherwise. The main stem looks strong enough - if it stretches too much I'd start to worry about it falling over but it's fine for now.
What do you suggest for light? Should I add another light to it? Make it two T8 6500k tubes?

Zerberus

Zerberus

The light really isn't adequate. It looks like the second one just hasn't started yet - they both might become spindly until you get them better light. They look healthy though, otherwise. The main stem looks strong enough - if it stretches too much I'd start to worry about it falling over but it's fine for now.

What do you suggest for light? Should I add another light to it? Make it two T8 6500k tubes?

I also have these tubes idk if they are any good.
IMG 20230326 160440

Zerberus

Zerberus

I've heard that rice hulls are good for aeration, but that hasn't been my personal experience. It doesn't take long for the rice hulls to become completely saturated. Once they do, they hang onto the water and start slowly breaking down.

Just a little warning that my attempt to use rice hulls for drainage didn't work out too well. If you can get perlite, I believe that would work much better. Without perlite you could always use sand, I think.
I saw another user comment in a thread that broken down styrofoam is a good substitute for perlite... Can I use that instead?

Zerberus

Zerberus

What do you think about styrofoam guys the ratio should be 1/4 ? I think this is the most easily ready solution i can find... Please let me know your thoughts...???

@Cirroji @rasterman @Timbo0716 @TSD sorry if I failed to tag everyone that's helping out, please don't take it personally I'm looking for all the help I can get 🙏🏻🤙🏻🤞🏻
IMG 20230326 183054

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
What do you think about styrofoam guys the ratio should be 1/4 ? I think this is the most easily ready solution i can find... Please let me know your thoughts...???

@Cirroji @rasterman @Timbo0716 @TSD sorry if I failed to tag everyone that's helping out, please don't take it personally I'm looking for all the help I can get 🙏🏻🤙🏻🤞🏻
View attachment 1344734
not gonna lie that looks 10000x better than your original medium sir.

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
I also have these tubes idk if they are any good.View attachment 1344698
when you think about bulbs, realistically i go by what spectrum it produces.

PAR is the range of what the spectrum your plants gonna see/use/like/need

most lights you can find the "color" by the K meaning kelvin

the first photo is the range of par, and the second is where those K fall into (when you're reading regular bulb info)

1704led_f3_f2.png

Grow-Light-Spectrums.jpg

focusing on the cool section for veg growth in blue/white

Light%20Cannabis%20mobile%20EN_1.jpg

now that light you looks like it's a 6500k - so check that on the chart above

info on that bulb - I BELIEVE

Philips 27359-9 - F40T12/DX/ALTO - 40 Watt Fluorescent Tube - T12 - 6500K - 900 Series Phosphors​

Zerberus

Zerberus

when you think about bulbs, realistically i go by what spectrum it produces.

PAR is the range of what the spectrum your plants gonna see/use/like/need

most lights you can find the "color" by the K meaning kelvin

the first photo is the range of par, and the second is where those K fall into (when you're reading regular bulb info)

1704led_f3_f2.png

Grow-Light-Spectrums.jpg

focusing on the cool section for veg growth in blue/white

Light%20Cannabis%20mobile%20EN_1.jpg

now that light you looks like it's a 6500k - so check that on the chart above

info on that bulb - I BELIEVE

Philips 27359-9 - F40T12/DX/ALTO - 40 Watt Fluorescent Tube - T12 - 6500K - 900 Series Phosphors​

Well then lighting is going to be a huge problem for me because since the agricultural industry is government owned they don't sell any other lights that arent in the 6500k range (basic household lights)

Even the LED lights in the store are all 6500k i checked today when I bought a new dual roof lamp for larger tube lights.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I’m pretty sure Pipecarver uses 6500 kelvin for vegging, and does real well with it. You will have to find something else for flowering though. At least that’s what it sounds like. My mistake. I think you said you were going to grow them outdoors. went back and looked. Better start looking for something to flower with.

Last edited:
rasterman

rasterman

I also have these tubes idk if they are any good.View attachment 1344698
They're good - you just need them to be really close. I used to start chile seeds under lights like those. You were planning on eventually putting them outdoors? I'm guessing you'll be fine with what you have until then.

But if it's all you have, go with it and see how it goes. This is a pretty tough plant after all.

Xhale

Xhale

Good Luck my Cuban friend :) I'm pretty certain that this is how most of us started growing: bag seeds, sand, cup/pot, and lots of hope! just do you and the weed will grow better as you get experienced and learn from this great forum.

my 2cents: I'm concerned that you have 2 seedlings from your bag-weed. after all your effort you *may* end up with 2 male plants! I would suggest that you get at least 5 plants going to improve your chances with the required female plants. This gives you an opportunity to start 3 more plants with the better options taht have been discussed.

me: I often start off my plants on sun-facing window sills and maybe supplement with a small light-bulb when it gets dark. The key is 4-6 hours of direct sunlight through the window, then the small light to keep the plant 'awake' for a total of +-16 hours (this includes direct+indirect sunlight + light bulb times). then I would typically move the plant outside (larger pots or in the ground) once it looks healthy and big enough, with a new aim of 6-10 hours of direct sunlight (still 16 hours total light).
This is not a pro-grow. It is more than sufficient for me and my friends for the past 6 years.

My country (RSA) allows us to grow in private for private consumption. We're not allowed to $ell anything. I'm not interested in Black Market activity, so grow for myself and give to my friends.

Zerberus

Zerberus

I’m pretty sure Pipecarver uses 6500 kelvin for vegging, and does real well with it. You will have to find something else for flowering though. At least that’s what it sounds like. My mistake. I think you said you were going to grow them outdoor

Good Luck my Cuban friend :) I'm pretty certain that this is how most of us started growing: bag seeds, sand, cup/pot, and lots of hope! just do you and the weed will grow better as you get experienced and learn from this great forum.

my 2cents: I'm concerned that you have 2 seedlings from your bag-weed. after all your effort you *may* end up with 2 male plants! I would suggest that you get at least 5 plants going to improve your chances with the required female plants. This gives you an opportunity to start 3 more plants with the better options taht have been discussed.

me: I often start off my plants on sun-facing window sills and maybe supplement with a small light-bulb when it gets dark. The key is 4-6 hours of direct sunlight through the window, then the small light to keep the plant 'awake' for a total of +-16 hours (this includes direct+indirect sunlight + light bulb times). then I would typically move the plant outside (larger pots or in the ground) once it looks healthy and big enough, with a new aim of 6-10 hours of direct sunlight (still 16 hours total light).
This is not a pro-grow. It is more than sufficient for me and my friends for the past 6 years.

My country (RSA) allows us to grow in private for private consumption. We're not allowed to $ell anything. I'm not interested in Black Market activity, so grow for myself and give to my friends.
Thanks for the words of encouragement and for the advice, taking my plants outdoors will be challenging but i will make it work at least during the veg stage to promote plant health... I will be getting more seeds shortly to plant at least 6 more... But if they all turn out to be male i think I won't mind, since this is my first grow i just want to learn as much as I can, get to know the plants needs, and how i can successfully grow them with the equipment available here. Just trying to have as much fun i as I can while I learn. Im not going to sell anything or distribute anything either, this is only for myself. I had always wanted to take part in this experience and I feel very lucky to have you all helping me along the way.

Just want to say thank you all for everything you have done for me so far. You guys are all awesome 😎 👍🏻

Zerberus

Zerberus

They're good - you just need them to be really close. I used to start chile seeds under lights like those. You were planning on eventually putting them outdoors? I'm guessing you'll be fine with what you have until then.

But if it's all you have, go with it and see how it goes. This is a pretty tough plant after all.
I will move them outdoor for the veg stage, but i can't for now because where I live it's extremely windy I'm afraid the plants won't be able to survive the strong winds.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I would still go for rice hulls vs styrofoam if you can. Silica and other goodies that come along with it.

But looking much better! You could wait until your seedlings are ready for the next transplant to move them to the improved soil.

P

PahPahCee

Lava rocks are great for aeration. Really any small rocks would work.

Are we trying to not spend any money? If so Korean natural farming and Jadam is the way to go.

If you have a garden store we can guide you on what to look for.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Lava rocks are great for aeration. Really any small rocks would work.

Are we trying to not spend any money? If so Korean natural farming and Jadam is the way to go.

If you have a garden store we can guide you on what to look for.
I'm in a corrupt communist country, no volcanos, i can spend money, just nowhere to buy the things I need, the agricultural industry is government owned and government operated. There's no such thing as a garden store in this country sadly. I am looking into Korean natural farming and Jadam as well, that how i will make my nutrients🤞🏻

P

PahPahCee

I'm in a corrupt communist country, no volcanos, i can spend money, just nowhere to buy the things I need, the agricultural industry is government owned and government operated. There's no such thing as a garden store in this country sadly. I am looking into Korean natural farming and Jadam as well, that how i will make my nutrients🤞🏻
Watch some “Chris trump” KnF videos. I would start with making LABs. Next time you go into a forest you can start some IMO collections.

I would go try to make some connections with fisherman. They have by product that is amazing for gardening. You want fish scraps, crab/shrimp shell, oyster shell, and kelp.

Zerberus

Zerberus

Watch some “Chris trump” KnF videos. I would start with making LABs. Next time you go into a forest you can start some IMO collections.

I would go try to make some connections with fisherman. They have by product that is amazing for gardening. You want fish scraps, crab/shrimp shell, oyster shell, and kelp.
I watched most of his videos, and i think LAB is the way forward for me... When should I start using using LAB and how do I use it?

Top Bottom