Growing with Gaia Green - Shaded's Method

• Thread starter Shaded_One
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
simonkay

simonkay

Adding kelp, silica (monosilicic acid, not potassium silicate), and mollases, will help for sure and not interfere with Shaded's method.

Foliar of epsom works well too but I also havent had any issues with top dressing and watering, I have dabbled a bit in mixing epsom, triacontanol, and fulvic acids in a foliar spray and havent seen any issues so far.

The extra manures will more greatly affect the nutrient balance so may cause you problems if you dont adjust the other fertilizers.

My buggest suggestion to you and all new growers is to not try too much at once, take the basics of Shaded's method, implement them and see how the plants grow for a round or two. Once you have a feel for the basics and can take your plant from veg through flower without any deficiencies then you can start to play with things.

If you try a bunch of things and keep changing things each time you will take a lot longer to get to the point of being able to take a plant from veg through flower while also spending extra money and time.

Gardening is a sport for the very patient.
👋 Hey do you only foliar spray fulvic or water it in the root zone, and how often you using it? Tia 🙏

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Still following along 😁 just up potted 2x cement shoes from some old seeds both up potted with the method to 1 gallon pots

1x in 80% fox farms strawberry fields / 20% perlite
1x in 80% fox farms lucky dog /20% perlite

I’ll have to grab photos tomorrow was in a rush to up pot them before work,

B315C9A6 3A6C 4282 9EEA AD676A954530
bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Was it just before lights out or does that not matter
I was doing it about an hour before lights out, but I've also done it outdoors in the early morning. My inexperienced $0.02 is that if the mix is not strong then it won't make much of a difference. However try it on a small section before you commit to spraying the garden during lights on. Mid day outdoors is maybe a bit of a bad idea but that's based on folklore not experience.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

@Shaded_One - I finally was able to read all 18 pages of this thread and I believe I understand better now. My plants sure seem to like this method, so I expect to continue using it. I have a question, though:

How is using Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) and Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) different from or better than using a Cal-Mag product?

I ask because I already have some liquid OMRI-listed Cal-Mag by Fox Farm. So, before I bought products from the list in the first post, I decided it made sense to ask about it. The product I have is somewhat different. It contains 1% water soluble nitrogen and 3% calcium carbonate instead of calcium sulfate. It also contains soy protein hydrolysate. (The Mg is 0.9% magnesium sulfate.)

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
@Shaded_One - I finally was able to read all 18 pages of this thread and I believe I understand better now. My plants sure seem to like this method, so I expect to continue using it. I have a question, though:

How is using Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate) and Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) different from or better than using a Cal-Mag product?

I ask because I already have some liquid OMRI-listed Cal-Mag by Fox Farm. So, before I bought products from the list in the first post, I decided it made sense to ask about it. The product I have is somewhat different. It contains 1% water soluble nitrogen and 3% calcium carbonate instead of calcium sulfate. It also contains soy protein hydrolysate. (The Mg is 0.9% magnesium sulfate.)
I ran fox farms as well the full neut line for a few runs straight, switched to shaded’s method, and am liking what I’m seeing much more, I hate to waste neuts as well I still have everything but I’ll find a place to use it. Shaded has been fine tuning the gypsum/epsom ratios as he’s worked though it, it may be a simple what shaded likes or just easier to adjust one or the other if needed. Here’s a few using the method exactly as it’s posted on page 1, there about 2 weeks from flipping, just did the 2 week macros top dress today.

FFEF109B 4EEF 4C1E 8AB3 DDFDE69103BE
57FE5AA0 528B 4789 9F84 D269084367FA
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I ran fox farms as well the full neut line for a few runs straight, switched to shaded’s method, and am liking what I’m seeing much more, I hate to waste neuts as well I still have everything but I’ll find a place to use it. Shaded has been fine tuning the gypsum/epsom ratios as he’s worked though it, it may be a simple what shaded likes or just easier to adjust one or the other if needed. Here’s a few using the method exactly as it’s posted on page 1, there about 2 weeks from flipping, just did the 2 week macros top dress today.
Okay. Thanks. That makes sense. I'm working on an Amazon order today. I also have two plants that will need to be flipped soon, so I want to feed them well leading up to flowering. I'm thinking I need to make sure the Mg will be adequate.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Okay. Thanks. That makes sense. I'm working on an Amazon order today. I also have two plants that will need to be flipped soon, so I want to feed them well leading up to flowering. I'm thinking I need to make sure the Mg will be adequate.
Defenitly, for now I’ve been running 1tbs gypsum/ 1tbs epsom / 2 tbs azomite every 2 weeks, that is per plant not per gallon, I believe @Shaded_One has increased the values of all of these since then but intentionally as the intention was to push the plants to their limit to see what they can handle and if they show a proven yield increase to make it worth it

Once Im ready to flower in about 2 weeks I’ll feed about 4 days early then flip the lights. Was considering increasing to 4 bs azomite/ 2 tbs epsom / 2 tbs gypsum but was gunna consult with the master first 🫡

I know they have an increased demand for cal and mag after the flip so I figure if I get a jump in it hopefully I’m not chasing it later mid flower lol

Here’s the exact micros I’m using

83C61064 14E2 47F6 8486 1F289ADE3E7C
159865BF E918 4F3F BEB6 C342C847E46A
1727E9B0 A8EE 4C60 90E2 2000F18A7F73

Just actually ordered a 5lb bag of the epsom about a half hour ago the 1 lb bag was $11 the 5 lb bag was $19.99 lol

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
@Mikedin - Thanks so much for the help!

Are Azomite and Glacial Rock Dust the same type of amendment?
Yes that is what he’s referring to, he has glacial rock dust I believe, the brand I posted above and bought is volcanic rock dust, seems to be doing the trick for sure very fine powder 67 trace minerals, finer powder than DE great for top dressing, same as that gypsum is water soluble as well as the epsom ofc

I take about 1/2 cup of whatever medium I’m growing in, then I mix it all up and dump t in and mix in the top inch of soil, after top dressing I use a handheld pump sprayer to moisten the top of the soil a few times to get some of the amendments absorbed then give it a normal watering and then do it again in 2 weeks, so much easier than mixing liquid neuts, what would have taken me an hour to mix and water, took me less than 5 minutes

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I used to use glacial but I switched over to azomite cause I got a big bag for cheap
Sounds good! I have that in my Amazon cart now.

the brand I posted above and bought is volcanic rock dust, seems to be doing the trick for sure very fine powder 67 trace minerals, finer powder than DE great for top dressing, same as that gypsum is water soluble as well as the Epsom ofc
Thanks again. I'll try the Azomite. All this is new to me. So far, I like @Shaded_One's method and my plants like it, too.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

If you want to save money next time.. equate epsom salts 8lb bag for i believe like 10$... and I get espoma gypsum 20-30lb bag for cheap I just use an extra tbs
Thanks. I think our main unknown was that we didn't know how much we would need. We'll have a better idea after we have a few more crops on our résumé. This gets us started. You're right, though. We should be able to find Epsom Salts for less than $12 a pound.

Yesterday, we trekked to the big city, which is really a small city, with the intent of buying Epsom Salts. How hard could it be? Harder than we thought. We couldn't find any that didn't have added ingredients. Lavender was popular. We like lavender, but decided we didn't want it in our soil.

P

PahPahCee

Epsoma epsom salt is carried at Home Depot. They will also carry #25 bag of gypsum for like 8 bucks. Ship to store if you can.

Farm supply stores will also carry gypsum, dolomite lime, and diatomaceous earth in large bags for under $10 each. It’s a basic item people use. A lot of farmers would laugh their asses off at how much some people pay.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Thanks. I think our main unknown was that we didn't know how much we would need. We'll have a better idea after we have a few more crops on our résumé. This gets us started. You're right, though. We should be able to find Epsom Salts for less than $12 a pound.

Yesterday, we trekked to the big city, which is really a small city, with the intent of buying Epsom Salts. How hard could it be? Harder than we thought. We couldn't find any that didn't have added ingredients. Lavender was popular. We like lavender, but decided we didn't want it in our soil.
I bought the 5 lb bags of pure for $19.99 but still expensive,

gotta pick up more azomite myself, 2lbs will last a probably a grow depending on how many plants you’re growing I have enough for now but will start slowly bulking up my supplies, hate having to buy everything all at once, so epsom was today gunna look for cheaper prices before I buy big bulk , maybe next week a 20-30lb bag of azomite and gypsum

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Epsoma epsom salt is carried at Home Depot. They will also carry #25 bag of gypsum for like 8 bucks. Ship to store if you can.

Farm supply stores will also carry gypsum, dolomite lime, and diatomaceous earth in large bags for under $10 each. It’s a basic item people use. A lot of farmers would laugh their asses off at how much some people pay.
Unfortunatly my local store sells gypsum but only pellitized, same with their other amendments so I have to buy that stuff online, DL I can get as well as DE locally, just as you say, in big tubs etc for $10

Wanna see crazy I posted this in my log last night, my local farm and feed store sells FF strawberry fields for $16.99 / bag, (same 1.5th/ft bags) as well as the rest of the line at comparable prices. same price for over 18 months now, then another local store with all the FF line about 10 miles away jumps up to 28.99/ bag and then here’s what people pay on Amazon 🤯

91453F96 B93D 4B8B AB0D 10B42704C106
P

PahPahCee

I use basalt instead of azomite because coot says so 😉

Now, I premix the basalt in and never amend it during my grow. Why do you guys/gals feed the need to continually top dress azomite? Are you actually running into decencies? I’ve been cutting back on my basalt lately because of heavy metals. Just curious not hating.

@Mikedin Fox farm soil has to be one of the most marked up item people carry. My local hydro store (shout out to spectrum hydroponics in SoCal - Santa Fe springs) sells FFOF for under $15 a bag. I believe most nurseries and hydro shops get their supplies from the same whole seller. They then prey on cannabis growers who demand they must use FF or nothing else.

Last edited:
Top Bottom