Gypsum Anyone?

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

Seems to go against what Ray Archuletta was talking about in regards to water permeating.

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

You know... I'm torn. I've said the same as you, but watching Ray again it's clear. Just looking at the soil that's *only* been tilled for 2yrs compared and contrasted to the other soils, using an easily repeatable experiment, makes the case for me.

In pots it makes little sense to me though. But, no one's being harmed in such an endeavor, so, more power to 'em!
I have looked at a lot of information on the subject, and it seems to me that many other variables can go into play that are often not mentioned when the comparison is given just to sell the idea of no till. I personally have a bad taste in my mouth from the soil food web leftovers and the carryover is fresh in my nasal passages so take it for what its worth. The current high estimates for the Africa pop. in 2100 is 10 billion. We are not going to feed them by disregarding science and reasoning IMO.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Situations which favor VT tools:

• Corn after corn to size up excessive residue.
  • Large acres to cover (spin on rye cover seed, then VT incorporate).
  • Surface compaction (Is this really a problem? Will VT create a shallow hardpan).
  • Modest manure incorporation.
  • Spring seedbed preparation.
  • Potential for reduced slug pressure
Situations where VT many not be of benefit:

• Drilling cover crops (essentially does the same thing as VT).
  • Limited corn–corn rotations, or where fodder is removed.
  • I’ve got a fully functioning flail or rotary mower and know how to use it.
  • Liquid manure uniformly applied (manure stimulates fodder decomposition).
  • Aggressive VT is not no-tilling. Could we lose some of the benefits of no-till?
  • VT does not currently qualify as a no-till practice for EQIP funding. Could violating this contract get you into trouble with other programs as well??
http://extension.psu.edu/plants/crops/soil-management/no-till/vertical-tillage-yes-or-no

Ecompost

Ecompost

Is anyone interested in the carbon farming project article? I'll scan and repost if you are. It's also got some resources for those who might be interested in calculating how much C their operation may or may not be sequestering.

Thanks so much for this video @Ecompost !! I want a love button for this video. I will have you know that I normally just don't have the patience to sit through a video this long (I didn't sit through this one, but...), but I made a point to watch this one.

EDIT: About halfway through Ray's video here and he's talking about how he grew up and what he'd been taught about the utility of tilling. I am brought immediately to think of Jethro Tull, who, IIRC, was the first to really discuss tilling. He came on the heels of the old Medieval ways, modernized, and for a while perhaps, made things better. Who could have envisioned what we have now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jethro_Tull_(agriculturist)#Work

More than halfway through and right now I can't stop thinking about how the permaculture people out in Joshua Tree approach permaculture out here in the desert. They'll water trees and other perennials, but they won't cover crop, don't even think about it. We're limited as to what can be used for mulch out here because of the wind. Cover crops don't usually blow away. More thoughts later.
Ray is such a good bloke, his style of presentation of his clear and deep knowledge is super. We have been working with the Solvita guys for a long time now, 1stly in the composting side, but we are also really like haney, again a very astute and knowledgeable man, whose willingness to share if unbounded.
Please do share the C project data, I will give it a read for sure.

Yes, knowing a little about pioneer or succession plants in that environment is not anything I know anything about, its a remarkable challenge. I am aware of areas of dessert being replanted among the Niche construction communities, but I dont think this is a simple as rocking up without a budget the size of Maine :-) Some ideas may be ;-)

Bulldog420

Bulldog420

Premium Member
Supporter
One of my personal heros

Love this msg. John Kempf from AEA had a prophetic dream at a young age about turning desserts into farmland. He says the best way to tear back that infertile edge is to plant cannabis around the rain forests, and expand. To be honest, I have dreamed about this long before I met John as well. The answers are there my friends.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
@Ecompost -- Give me a bit, I'll get these articles up. This whole issue is dedicated to 'carbon farming.'

Alright, I've had to scan using my cel phone, quality definitely isn't the best and I am not able to upload jpgs of the scanned articles at this moment because of size limits and not working directly *from* my cellular. I've uploaded them to CamScanner (I seriously love this app), and here's the link for, HOPEFULLY, anyone who wishes to view them. Let me know if this doesn't work. If you're like I am, you're going to need to magnify the page, use the little sliding tool on the bottom left of the viewing page.

Disfrute!

https://www.camscanner.com/share/f3e8o/0/w105s18hdvxr1

In the meantime, thanks for those videos, once again!

Ecompost

Ecompost

@Ecompost -- Give me a bit, I'll get these articles up. This whole issue is dedicated to 'carbon farming.'

Alright, I've had to scan using my cel phone, quality definitely isn't the best and I am not able to upload jpgs of the scanned articles at this moment because of size limits and not working directly *from* my cellular. I've uploaded them to CamScanner (I seriously love this app), and here's the link for, HOPEFULLY, anyone who wishes to view them. Let me know if this doesn't work. If you're like I am, you're going to need to magnify the page, use the little sliding tool on the bottom left of the viewing page.

Disfrute!

awesome I can grab some stuff from the link and catch up if I have questions, i wont bombard you of course. From your adventure, you will have more than enough to cope with :-) merci

Ecompost

Ecompost

Disfrute!

yeah all good, just had to convert it from a bin file, thanks

Ecompost

Ecompost

I love the way he is with the first tree, that so cool, I like this guy a lot, neat post brother. You know us guys in the West imagine we have the schools to know, but these folks are so in tune with the land. I do wonder tho if we gave them lots of money, would they make the same short term mistakes we have?

Latest posts

Top Bottom