Hard Black Ash (no “bro” science plz)

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

SUMMARY​

• Rx Green Technologies evaluated the effects of different flushing times on chemical profile, flavor, and smoking characteristics in Cannabis flower.
  • Flushing periods of 14, 10, 7 and 0 days were imposed on Cherry Diesel.
  • No differences were detected between flush treatments for yield, potency, or terpenes.
  • Analysis of mineral content of leaves indicated small changes in content of iron and zinc.
  • Taste test panelists tended to prefer flower flushed for 0 days.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

But be sure to flush! The part about liquid fertilizer is the second biggest bunch of crap I’ve read today.

Dothraki

Dothraki

Put them back on the drying rack for another 7-10 days.
They do go crispy at first, and even crumbly, the stems snap, but this isnt ready yet. This is just a stage. They will go past that and after bout 7-10 more days will firm up with a slight bounce to them when squeezed. The small stems on the buds can even go back to bending a little bit before snapping sometimes. The smell will come back and your fingers will be sticky after you've squeezed a bud.
Back on the rack they go. 👍👊
(Short answer, yes drying time was probably too short at 10 days, this time).
I will try that with a small branch or 2. I’m pretty sure it‘ll be overdry but might as well give it a shot. So you’re saying they’ll appear to be over dry but will still be moist enough for the curing process to take place?

Dothraki

Dothraki

So if the black char is from moisture...it should burn good and clean in a week or so. The smell is definitely there...smells wonderful. But taste isn’t there and burning black. So...maybe it is just moisture content even though it seems dry? Did I get that right?

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

I will try that with a small branch or 2. I’m pretty sure it‘ll be overdry but might as well give it a shot. So you’re saying they’ll appear to be over dry but will still be moist enough for the curing process to take place?
Yes. At first they will appear over dry, crispy and crumbly. The buds will fall apart easily. But there is still moisture trapped deep inside each cell. It takes time for this to leach its way out. As the outside dries, the moisture is drawn out. This kinda reinvigorates the bud again and makes it less crumbly and gives it a slight bounce when squeezed. Its hard to explain but I've been in exactly your position so I know what you're experiencing, and the solution was put it back on the rack/nets for 7-10 days.

Anthem

Anthem

If you would like an idea of how well your buds have dried out, take and fill a mason jar to about 3/4 full. stick a hydrometer in with the buds. Check to see if the humidity changed and how quick. If it jumps up a couple points that the stuff out and put in a paper bag for another day or two and retest. You can literally turn buds to dust by drying for too long!

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

So if the black char is from moisture...it should burn good and clean in a week or so. The smell is definitely there...smells wonderful. But taste isn’t there and burning black. So...maybe it is just moisture content even though it seems dry? Did I get that right?
Also, youve obviously noticed how much the calyx have shrunk, but after another 7-10 days on the rack/net they will be slightly bigger again than they are now and wont turn to dust like they probably do atm. (Am I right?)

Anthem

Anthem

Also, youve obviously noticed how much the calyx have shrunk, but after another 7-10 days on the rack/net they will be slightly bigger again than they are now and wont turn to dust like they probably do atm. (Am I right?)
The OP stated he had the buds drying for 10 days at 40 to 45 RH. Ideally you want to draw some moisture out for the first day or to so something like 70 degrees and 45 to 50 RH than drop to 60 degrees and 60 percent RH. Judging by the size of the plant and hanging it for 10 day with an RH of 40 to 45. The buds should be completely dried out. If you keep drying out the buds, they will start to fall apart once the moisture is out of them. They will start to shed plant material each time they are moved around.

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

The OP stated he had the buds drying for 10 days at 40 to 45 RH. Ideally you want to draw some moisture out for the first day or to so something like 70 degrees and 45 to 50 RH than drop to 60 degrees and 60 percent RH. Judging by the size of the plant and hanging it for 10 day with an RH of 40 to 45. The buds should be completely dried out. If you keep drying out the buds, they will start to fall apart once the moisture is out of them. They will start to shed plant material each time they are moved around.
Just giving my own experience, what I think i is the cause and what I think is the correct solution. You dont have to listen to me if you dont want to. But I hope the OP lets us know what he does and if it works.
I stand by my original thoughts/instincts.

S

sammyknows

I find it hard to believe that his hydrometer was working with the symptoms he is describing at 40% nugs turn to dust in 10 days like you said. Maybe the humidifier he has doesn't produce enough of a diffused mist and had a wetting effect on the nugs?

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

I find it hard to believe that his hydrometer was working with the symptoms he is describing at 40% nugs turn to dust in 10 days like you said. Maybe the humidifier he has doesn't produce enough of a diffused mist and had a wetting effect on the nugs?
I did the same thing. One time, I hung my plants for 10 days at 40-45% RH, 70° and they were crispy/dry and easily broke apart. I trimmed them and put them into shoeboxes. But they smelled like hay, had no taste and burned exactly as the OP describes. I called a friend to ask what was wrong. He said to put them back on the nets. I did (this time at 60°) After 10 more days they looked exactly as I had initially expected/hoped.
I think the low rh and slightly high temp might flash dry the outsides, and stem. But moisture is still trapped inside the cells. If you jar it up after a flash dry it starts to smell even more like cut grass or have no smell. But put it back on the nets and it sorted itself out.
Just my own experience.

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

I did the same thing. One time, I hung my plants for 10 days at 40-45% RH, 70° and they were crispy/dry and easily broke apart. I trimmed them and put them into shoeboxes. But they smelled like hay, had no taste and burned exactly as the OP describes. I called a friend to ask what was wrong. He said to put them back on the nets. I did (this time at 60°) After 10 more days they looked exactly as I had initially expected/hoped.
I think the low rh and slightly high temp might flash dry the outsides, and stem. But moisture is still trapped inside the cells. If you jar it up after a flash dry it starts to smell even more like cut grass or have no smell. But put it back on the nets and it sorted itself out.
Just my own experience.
If you have buds hanging at a true 70 degrees and 40 to 45 percent RH for 10 days they will be dried if not over dried. Doing this and having the buds smell like hay once they were put into a shoebox means more than likely the Rh was not 40 to 45. 70 and 40 to 45 for 10 days will give you some crispy buds. Also another 10 days after that would just turn them to crispy leaves that if you look at wrong will just fall apart.
I really doubt you had the RH that low. Your meter may say it but it must have been messed up.

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

If you have buds hanging at a true 70 degrees and 40 to 45 percent RH for 10 days they will be dried if not over dried. Doing this and having the buds smell like hay once they were put into a shoebox means more than likely the Rh was not 40 to 45. 70 and 40 to 45 for 10 days will give you some crispy buds. Also another 10 days after that would just turn them to crispy leaves that if you look at wrong will just fall apart.
I really doubt you had the RH that low. Your meter may say it but it must have been messed up.
*sigh*...

Ok man, cool, whatever you say 👍

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

I agree! You guys need to go twist up a wet one and smoke it!
Lol ☺ I dont really know what you mean man 😅 A guy posted a thread with a question about his weed. I gave my thoughts and personal experience of the same/similar situation. Another guy tells me my experience either didnt happen like I said, or my equipment is faulty (as is the OP's apparently), so what can I say other than "ok cool man"?? Lol 😂😆
Im not engaging in that kinda bs I just say "ok man whatever" And keep it movin, lol 😊😉

Dothraki

Dothraki

Anyway... as I read more about it I’m starting to understand the main things happening. Drying slowly allows the enzymes time to break down chlorophyll/ sugars etc. but if dried too quickly or too much they will die (because they need moisture to survive) and end the process of breaking down those compounds that give harsh smoke, black ash etc.

My terpenes are abundant. Smells better than anything I’ve got in a dispensary...but smokes harsh and doesn’t burn well. I’m thinking I let it dry a little too much before jarring and the enzymatic process was halted. So I have amazing smelling bud that’s harsh and doesn’t burn right. It Damn it smells so good. I wish I could taste it too.

Top Bottom