Hard Black Ash (no “bro” science plz)

• Thread starter Dothraki
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

Awesome! I can’t wait to see how it progresses. The taste isn’t 100% there yet but the smell is all there. So I’m hoping the smell comes through in taste soon.
Mine isn’t either. There at the point to where the outside stickiness is gone and the sugar leaves still have moisture to where they don’t snap

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

Awesome! I can’t wait to see how it progresses. The taste isn’t 100% there yet but the smell is all there. So I’m hoping the smell comes through in taste soon.
If you go back through this thread, you will see that this is exactly what I said would happen 12 days ago 😉👍 If you had put them out on the drying rack like I said for 7 days, then jars for the last cpl days, your bud would be smoking perfect by now with the full flavour 😚💨

Dothraki

Dothraki

If you go back through this thread, you will see that this is exactly what I said would happen 12 days ago 😉👍 If you had put them out on the drying rack like I said for 7 days, then jars for the last cpl days, your bud would be smoking perfect by now with the full flavour 😚💨
I don’t know if a drying rack would’ve worked in my environment. The first two branches I chopped dried in 9 and 10 days in a closet that was 59*F and I think 45ish RH at its best. That was on full branch with fan leaves. Now I have the full plants hanging in tents....just barely reaching 60% with 2 humidifiers on full blast lol.

But in the summer time I‘ll be able to try it, because my humidity will be a bit higher, even with the AC on.

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

I don’t know if a drying rack would’ve worked in my environment. The first two branches I chopped dried in 9 and 10 days in a closet that was 59*F and I think 45ish RH at its best. That was on full branch with fan leaves. Now I have the full plants hanging in tents....just barely reaching 60% with 2 humidifiers on full blast lol.

But in the summer time I‘ll be able to try it, because my humidity will be a bit higher, even with the AC on.
You'll get the hang of it mate 👍 Once you see it with your own eyes, you'll know what you're looking/waiting for and you'll also recognise all the stages it goes through on the way there.
You have to remember, people we're doing this long before measuring equipment. Leaving crops out in the afghan winters to dry and cure naturally and such...
The numbers are a strong guide, a tried and tested way of replicating good results. But there are different ways to get there. Your buds werent dry, they still had moisture in them. If you had left them out (on a rack, a net, or wherever) at any rh between 40-60% and just kept and eye on them, within about 7 days they would've been ready to smoke and jar. They still will be eventually but you've just extended it by keeping them jarred. I can tell this just by what you've said initially, your pics and also how you describe the smoke now. No equipment needed just experience, and you'll get there too. Once you see it you'll know it the next time. As Elon Musk says "learn the problem, not the tools. If you learn the problem, you can use any tools to solve it."
Good work man 👍 glad its worked out for ya and you pinpointed the problem 👌👍👊

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

Just another thought. I'm guessing you have your intake and extraction fans running with your two humidifiers(?) You can also control your humidity levels with your intake and extraction fans. I dont have a humidifier. When I hang my plants I turn off the intake and only run the outake, at a lower setting... If rh is really low, you can turn your fans off for short periods at a time (using normal a timer). There are many ways to raise your rh 👍👊

Moshmen

Moshmen

I can’t find the before picture but about 2 months ago , bout the time thread started , we bought a bit of black Market smoke for my adult kids - couldn’t hardly even burn it ! Not super wet but not dry either - should put a hygrometer in there - oh well here we are two months later after a good cure burns great , stick black market crap but - bro science or not I now believe it’s at least partially a good cure .?

Ponky

Ponky

I can’t find the before picture but about 2 months ago , bout the time thread started , we bought a bit of black Market smoke for my adult kids - couldn’t hardly even burn it ! Not super wet but not dry either - should put a hygrometer in there - oh well here we are two months later after a good cure burns great , stick black market crap but - bro science or not I now believe it’s at least partially a good cure .?
I think it was dried too fast. Thereby halting the biological processes. Leaving too much chlorophyll. Speed dried. Ruined it.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I cannot recall the last time my spent bowl ever made it to white ash phase. I am a wasteful SOB when it comes to burned flowers but I kick my bowls after the first hit because it doesn't seem worth it to go back for seconds. My whole work bench is covered in unburned/black ash. Is there anything good going back for to achieve white ash? Just my random thoughts, but I enjoy my black ash now and it just becomes fertilizer for the next plants

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I cannot recall the last time my spent bowl ever made it to white ash phase. I am a wasteful SOB when it comes to burned flowers but I kick my bowls after the first hit because it doesn't seem worth it to go back for seconds. My whole work bench is covered in unburned/black ash. Is there anything good going back for to achieve white ash? Just my random thoughts, but I enjoy my black ash now and it just becomes fertilizer for the next plants
I had to light a one-hitter twice to see if I had white or black ash. It turned white, so I guess whatever I'm doing ends up creating white ash.

growsince79

growsince79

LOL I hear dat. I waste lots too, only I use an ashtray.

Keifer2k3

Keifer2k3

So you don’t think the powdered calcium landing on the buds during their formation for 2+ months could do it? I hope youre right but seems calcium buildup on buds could keep them from staying lit properly and burning black.
No

Itman

Itman

Not really to be honest. Calcium carbonate doesn't burn and I don't know how it would adhere to the leaf for any longer than the next watering. Calcium itself is somewhere around 10% of cannabis dry weight, only second to carbon.
Carbide lamps burn Calcium Carbonate?

T

Tootallfortents

Put them back on the drying rack for another 7-10 days.
They do go crispy at first, and even crumbly, the stems snap, but this isnt ready yet. This is just a stage. They will go past that and after bout 7-10 more days will firm up with a slight bounce to them when squeezed. The small stems on the buds can even go back to bending a little bit before snapping sometimes. The smell will come back and your fingers will be sticky after you've squeezed a bud.
Back on the rack they go. 👍👊
(Short answer, yes drying time was probably too short at 10 days, this time).
So 20 days at 45%?? This really is not the way to go, unless you want a pile of dust in the bottom of what ever you store it in afterwards.

T

Tootallfortents

Letters are free here, so at least once could you spell out your abbreviations? What the heck is PGR?????
Bro, chill with the aggression. Your whole name is abbreviated 😂. He only abbreviated because I’d say 90% that no what PGRs actually are, probably don’t even know what PGR stands for. Maybe add some politeness when asking someone a question instead of with aggression

Dothraki

Dothraki

In my experience it’s the moisture content for the burn…and proper dry and cure for flavor. I do the same thing when I have to buy it. Throw it in a jar for a few weeks and usually makes it burn and taste way better. Then sell it back to the guy for double the price 😉

Top Bottom