help!!! bud rot!!! help!!!

• Thread starter royfree2grow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
royfree2grow

royfree2grow

chopped the infected bud off yesterday but i found another one today, and i see signs of rot beginning on another bud on a different plant as well
Help bud rot help

^^ look at the top part of the bud, its clearly dryer than the lower part of the bud.

and this photo speaks for itself
Help bud rot help 2

I'm having some ants infestation on that same plant and just started using Diatomaceous earth but I don't think it's related as I'm seeing the same symptoms on a different-ant free-plant... What should I do?

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Chop out everything that looks infected, plus a little.

Two things may be happening.

1. Too much moisture, and the buds are rotting. A product that can help this is Mycostop and I can't think of the other product right now. These products have bacteria that fights mold, but it's all about leaf biology. It probably wont stop an outbreak, but it should help prevent future outbreaks.

2. Caterpillars. When a caterpillar eats through a bud it poops and infects the buds. Catterpillars are the number one reason I get bud rot on my plant. Check out safer brand caterpillar killer product. I have used it late into flower with no effect on taste.

In future grows, you may want to raise your K levels in flower. When your K levels are higher, seldom do you get mold issues. A great way to raise your K levels and help build up strong plants is using ksil products like ProTect silica.

Hope this helps and your harvest gets saved. Good luck.

bigdaddyg8

bigdaddyg8

if the humidity is to high add a couple more circulating fans and really move that air around .
cut rotted parts off .

vaporedout

vaporedout

i dont see any poop.... ive been dealing with lost buds because of those guys and it looks similar but theres no poop. so probably bud rot

soserthc1

soserthc1

if outside and looking almost done you might wanna consider chopping early as to avoid a total loss but i really don't know if its just a few buds on a plant or two or the set up - plant count of your garden ..... but better some bud than no bud

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Chop out everything that looks infected, plus a little.

Two things may be happening.

1. Too much moisture, and the buds are rotting. A product that can help this is Mycostop and I can't think of the other product right now. These products have bacteria that fights mold, but it's all about leaf biology. It probably wont stop an outbreak, but it should help prevent future outbreaks.

2. Caterpillars. When a caterpillar eats through a bud it poops and infects the buds. Catterpillars are the number one reason I get bud rot on my plant. Check out safer brand caterpillar killer product. I have used it late into flower with no effect on taste.

In future grows, you may want to raise your K levels in flower. When your K levels are higher, seldom do you get mold issues. A great way to raise your K levels and help build up strong plants is using ksil products like ProTect silica.

Hope this helps and your harvest gets saved. Good luck.

I have chopped the infected part plus a little, I haven't noticed any climate changes recently so the only source for moisture is maybe watering too often? I got one caterpillar on a different plant which looks fine, but not on this one, no bite marks either...

So generally you say not to panic and chop early? just the infected parts?

if the humidity is to high add a couple more circulating fans and really move that air around .
cut rotted parts off .

I'm outdoors man... but thanks for the help...

What a bummer Roy. I hate when that happens
Has it been humid lately? Are you sure its not worms?

Bulldogs post is a good one...
Inspect all your buds and cut out the ugly parts.
look for worms and their poop.

Here is a link to some excellent info
http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Preventing-Bud-Mold

Great info thanks, I'll be sure to check it out, so you also say don't chop them yet?

i dont see any poop.... ive been dealing with lost buds because of those guys and it looks similar but theres no poop. so probably bud rot

Yep so it seems, again, I see signs of bud rod on two plants, none of them show any signs of caterpillar infestation.

I'm not sure how well that'd work outside...

Roy, don't use the DE on the buds, it's not a good thing to inhale.

You mean don't sprinkle it on the buds? hell no.

if outside and looking almost done you might wanna consider chopping early as to avoid a total loss but i really don't know if its just a few buds on a plant or two or the set up - plant count of your garden ..... but better some bud than no bud

So you say chop them off now? a month before planned? wow... I didn't think I'm that bad... fuck me...

So considering the bud rot is a consequence of moisture, what can I do now besides chopping 2 plants a month early than planned!? which seems radical, doesn't it?

Blaze

Blaze

Get some Oxidate if you can. You need to treat the mold like an infectious disease. Get yourself a pair of fiskars or something similar and a garbage bag. Sterilize your fiskars, then spray the infected spot with Oxidate to knock down and kill any spores. Cut out the infected area with your sterile scissors and toss it in the garbage bag to contain the spores.. Spray the cut area again to ensure it is clean. Sterilize your fiskars and repeat again.

If your plant is really a month out try to keep it in check rather than pull early. Month premature bud is going to suck. Make sure you are not over-watering. Remove any dead leaves on the inside if you can too. Make note which strain this was as well. Some strains are just mold magnets and have no business being grown outside. First, and most effective line of defense against mold is strain selection.

soserthc1

soserthc1

well like i said depends on number of plants if you got plenty going and only issues with the 2 cut the rot out and keep a eye out , if it gets worse chop if not your good ......

jaredman

jaredman

in my experience if you have mold that bad you should not spray it with anything. The added moisture will only encourage mold no matter what the product claims to do. I have tried most every product for botrytis and nothing really works at all unless it has been applied regularly throughout the growing season. Spraying moisture on the buds at this point will only add fuel to the fire. cut out what is problematic, check all the buds inside and out to look for more. It could be growing on buds you don't notice yet because it starts on the stem and works its way out so by the time you notice on the outside of buds its to late so open up the buds and look inside. chop out crap and treat by scrubbing hydrogen peroxide with a toothbrush. Growing outside its just part of the game. One question, how much dew is on your plants in the morning? I think a fan will help a lot personally if there is any dew on your plants. try to do anything you can to get them dry every morning as fast as possible, leaf blower fan, cover them from above so no dew settles on them.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Get some Oxidate if you can. You need to treat the mold like an infectious disease. Get yourself a pair of fiskars or something similar and a garbage bag. Sterilize your fiskars, then spray the infected spot with Oxidate to knock down and kill any spores. Cut out the infected area with your sterile scissors and toss it in the garbage bag to contain the spores.. Spray the cut area again to ensure it is clean. Sterilize your fiskars and repeat again.

If your plant is really a month out try to keep it in check rather than pull early. Month premature bud is going to suck. Make sure you are not over-watering. Remove any dead leaves on the inside if you can too. Make note which strain this was as well. Some strains are just mold magnets and have no business being grown outside. First, and most effective line of defense against mold is strain selection.

Thanks Blaze, I'll do that first thing tomorrow morning.

well like i said depends on number of plants if you got plenty going and only issues with the 2 cut the rot out and keep a eye out , if it gets worse chop if not your good ......

Got ya man, I'll follow that approach, I hope I'll manage to stop the mold from spreading...

Do what blaze said Roy
If you can't get oxidate, ISO alchol will work too

I think I have a bottle here somewhere... thanks man!

Start spraying with serenade, then caterpillar killer, then serenade. Did you have any mold/mildew early on?

What's serenade? I didn't have any problems like this before...

Thanks everyone!

Mogrow

Mogrow

i got the same shit royfree/// it sucks.. i cut mine out, im sure there will be more:dead:
it hasn't rained here in a month. like blaze said some strains are just mold mangets.

Blaze

Blaze

I would also suggest not spraying the entire plant either, in my experience, it just makes it worse no matter what the product. Stick to spot-spraying so you don't add unneeded moisture to the buds.

ncga

ncga

Seranade in the red bottle is no to effective, Oxidate and some of the newer fungicides like Regalia and Cease work well with less damage to the Calyxes. It also important to rotate what you use. I found a new product Python 35 ( not the regular) that I had good results with last year. BUT it needs to be applied at LEAST 21 days before projected harvest.

Once you see mold its really to late. The fungus is in the stalk of the plant and blooms when conditions are right. As growers we tend to be reactive rather than having a IPM in place.

As Blaze said the best way to avoid boytritus is to grow resistant strains. Also start you spraying on a weekly basis around the end of August. I'm enjoying a Sthil 650 gas powered sprayer this year. Only good in the big garden and not even above an idle speed

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Things have gone better and worse; I took all the infected buds off, the first plant who had signs of rot hasn't been showing any new infection and as of now it looks real nice and is on about 15% amber so very close to the end...

The second plant though, since I took it's infected buds off it's been showing rot spreading allover including the main cola, unfortunately this one is only on about 5% amber so there's a long way to go relatively.

What do you guys think I should do with this one? should I keep waiting for 50/50 amber ration and meanwhile just take off the newly infected buds? should I take the main cola off? or should I harvest this one early?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If it's spreading, I'd just yank it. Two main reasons. First, this fungus is using live plant tissue, so when you kill the plant you're stopping the spread. Second, it could very well become so overwhelming that whatever's preventing the other plants from going the same route may lose this battle. Give the rest a better fighting chance.

Top Bottom