help!!! bud rot!!! help!!!

• Thread starter royfree2grow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blaze

Blaze

I wouldn't wait for anything to turn 50/50 amber, that is usually too far. Also I know a lot of people won't agree with this, but in my experience, looking at how many amber trichs you have is the least reliable way to tell when an outdoor plant is ready. It is too dependent on the weather and the strain. Depending on what you are growing, and your climate, you might never see more than 5-10% amber no matter how long you wait. On the flip side, you might see lots of amber weeks before the plant is truly ready.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
I wouldn't wait for anything to turn 50/50 amber, that is usually too far. Also I know a lot of people won't agree with this, but in my experience, looking at how many amber trichs you have is the least reliable way to tell when an outdoor plant is ready. It is too dependent on the weather and the strain. Depending on what you are growing, and your climate, you might never see more than 5-10% amber no matter how long you wait. On the flip side, you might see lots of amber weeks before the plant is truly ready.

Depends where on the plant yer lookin--
too...

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Things have gone better and worse; I took all the infected buds off, the first plant who had signs of rot hasn't been showing any new infection and as of now it looks real nice and is on about 15% amber so very close to the end...

The second plant though, since I took it's infected buds off it's been showing rot spreading allover including the main cola, unfortunately this one is only on about 5% amber so there's a long way to go relatively.

What do you guys think I should do with this one? should I keep waiting for 50/50 amber ration and meanwhile just take off the newly infected buds? should I take the main cola off? or should I harvest this one early?

Chop it. It's a losing battle. Better premie buds than rotted ones.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Very interesting blaze, I thought the amber trichs ratio indicating ripeness was a taboo in the marijuana cultivation world...

Having said that, last season most of my plants never got to 50/50 ratio, and I chopped the last one in early-mid November...

So what are the symptoms you're looking for to know its ripe enough to harvest?

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Chop it. It's a losing battle. Better premie buds than rotted ones.

Thanks Cap, think I will. In the bottom line you're right, although I got to smoke some rotted buds in the past week and I have to say its not bad, other than being really ugly, taste and high weren't much less of a quality than a clean bud.

Thanks everybody btw!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Very interesting blaze, I thought the amber trichs ratio indicating ripeness was a taboo in the marijuana cultivation world...

Having said that, last season most of my plants never got to 50/50 ratio, and I chopped the last one in early-mid November...

Pistils: Is it still popping out a whole bunch of fat, new white ones, or are they slowing down or have stopped?
Bud growth/girth: Are they still getting fatter & larger, or do they seem to have stalled?
Overall appearance of the plant: Is it still all green, looking like it could go on forever, or does it look like autumn, with a bit of fading to the shade of green, to downright yellowing?

These are three factors that you can use to help you judge the 'doneness' of a given plant without having to rely solely on the loupe.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Pistils: Is it still popping out a whole bunch of fat, new white ones, or are they slowing down or have stopped?
Bud growth/girth: Are they still getting fatter & larger, or do they seem to have stalled?
Overall appearance of the plant: Is it still all green, looking like it could go on forever, or does it look like autumn, with a bit of fading to the shade of green, to downright yellowing?

These are three factors that you can use to help you judge the 'doneness' of a given plant without having to rely solely on the loupe.

All signs are there, just the amber trichs ratio that is missing... So you guys only look for these symptoms (before harvest) and disregard amber trichs ratio?

Blaze

Blaze

It is a factor in determining ripeness, but it is not the only factor. You should be looking at the hairs, as well as the plant as a whole. If all the hairs have turned brown, it's pretty likely the plant is finished, even if the trichs don't show amber yet. Yellowing and coloration of the fans leaves is also another indicator. If the plant is lush and bright green, it probably isn't ready yet. The bud structure can also clue you in - if you start to see telescoping, good chance the plant is finished or even starting to go too late. Also with outdoor, you have to consider the weather - if your plant is starting to mold, or if the weather has gone to shit and you are getting nothing but rain and cold, it's probably time to harvest. On a perfect harvest, the trich coloration will match up with the other signs - but because it is so weather dependent it should not be the only thing you are looking at.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter

If there are still new green hairs, its not done?
Or, Is that just one factor to consider?
I mean, do you and/or Blaze wait till 100% of the hairs are done (red)?

Blaze

Blaze

Like I said it depends on the strain and the weather. Usually I find the plant is finished when 80-100% of the hairs have turned. However I have found at times that even when 100% have turned the plant still might not be quite ripe yet. Also most plants will start to telescope and push out new, white hairs once they go past being ready. So waiting for 100% of the hairs to turn could mean harvesting too late as many plants still keep growing out new white hairs long after they are read.

Part of it is also getting to know your strains. For example the Mendo Pineapple I like to grow tends to look ready weeks before it really is, but I know that now from growing it several seasons. A lot of the hairs will turn 2-3 weeks before it is finished, BUT the plant itself will still be very green and lush and the trichs won't be ripe, and it will keep packing on weight a resin for several weeks after many of the hairs have turned. That is one strain that I don't really go by the hairs, because I know it's not the best way to tell when it is ready. Another example is that most of the DJ Short strains and crosses, like the Original Blueberry, and the Blueberry pie will not produce amber crystals not matter how long you wait. It is a trait of the strain and something that DJ breeds for. So, on those it's the opposite - I know that looking for amber on the crystals doesn't really show when they are ready so I go more by the hairs and by how the plant itself looks. If most of the hairs have turned, and most of the plant's leaves have turned blue and purple I know it is probably ready.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
You are awesome Blaze! Thanks again!

mr roboto

mr roboto

chopped the infected bud off yesterday but i found another one today, and i see signs of rot beginning on another bud on a different plant as well
View attachment 338670

^^ look at the top part of the bud, its clearly dryer than the lower part of the bud.

and this photo speaks for itself
View attachment 338671

I'm having some ants infestation on that same plant and just started using Diatomaceous earth but I don't think it's related as I'm seeing the same symptoms on a different-ant free-plant... What should I do?
did you ever find any cats in there....I swear it looks like worm damage a lot more than bud rot.....sometimes those little bastard screw up a bud and move on leaving very little poop behind. Its def worm season right about now

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

did you ever find any cats in there....I swear it looks like worm damage a lot more than bud rot.....sometimes those little bastard screw up a bud and move on leaving very little poop behind. Its def worm season right about now

Really? I wish it was the issue, I think caterpillars is a more manageable problem than bud rot... I'll check again but I don't think it's it. Tnx man.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
From what I have seen over the few short years in my garden, Bud rot makes the whole bud kinda mushy...
...as opposed to worm damage that is more isolated (dead spots) and removable

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
All signs are there, just the amber trichs ratio that is missing... So you guys only look for these symptoms (before harvest) and disregard amber trichs ratio?

I honestly don't remember when the last time was that I used my loupe to gauge clear/cloudy/amber.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

I honestly don't remember when the last time was that I used my loupe to gauge clear/cloudy/amber.

That's mind blowin' Seam...

I'm still losing crop to rot, having to pull off secondary (infected) branches with heavy buds on them every couple of days... also harvested two plants that started being in bad shape, luckily they were about done in terms of amber trichs ratio; about 20%-35%, almost all other signs of ripeness were there. Turned to be one decent smoke and one killer smoke (thats the wolverine pheno#6).

I guess some of my ladies are showing signs of ripeness, but the trichs ratio doesn't go up as rapidly as I want it to. What do you guys think?

DSC01941
DSC01944
DSC01945
DSC01946
DSC01948
DSC01950
DSC01951
DSC01953
DSC01955
DSC01957
DSC01958
DSC01959
DSC01960
DSC01963
DSC01964
DSC01965
DSC01966
DSC01967
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Those look Great Roy! and they look ready to me..chop em! :)
couldy white trichs are there!
Nice work Bro!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If they're still putting on bud weight, I would leave them. If you're really working hard to battle rot, I would say pull them now.

Looking at them, what you've shown, even though they're still mostly green they look pretty much done to my eyes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom