Help with RDWC establishing roots

• Thread starter login
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

so damn envious of y'all with the space to run UC. some day i'll join the club. for now i'll just look at your setup with a green face.
This room is the last thing my wife and i did construction wise and it about did us in physically. Lol
Old room 7x10x 10' avg
Always have liked the looks of small trees indoors
20190820 093158

Last edited:
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

68 degrees just happens to be the temperature that water carries the most oxygen. The whole bennies thing is cool and all but I just prefer going sterile and not worrying about root issues. Sure the bennies help the plant get food but then the bennies need food as well. So there may be some benefit but I would have to see the data to prove it as well.
So im more focused on how fast the plants can pull up the water. If they can pull it up faster, they are technically getting more o2 right? I honestly dont know. I just know with my own eyes, but limited experience, the warmer the water, the faster the plant grows. Does that sound fair enough? So to me, there has to be a logical reason to why. Thats like with the pgrs, the make the plant pull up nutrients faster, the plants grow faster, even with the same 02 levels. But yes, my bacteria fight my plant for the dissolved o2. If I dont have enough o2 in the water, this process wouldnt be able to work at all. Still no trials from me, more less got my advice from the guy on here that gives the most hydro advice lol, aqua. Now i speak for myself, and hope he corrects me, but it seems as hes too busy.

As for my views on Sterile systems, im to bias to really explain it rationally to most. Its not that I love live systems, its more that I hate how this world is sterilizing everything. Peroxide, bleach, all the chemicals we add to destroy the cell walls of living organisms, well it makes things more unacceptable to everything. Super bugs were created by the abuse of antibiotics in humans. Now we have bacteria that is resistant to antibiotics. I dont think its a long shot to say that it will also happen in hydro. So instead of me killing everything in my water, I want to figure out a way to make it all work while keeping everything alive. More of a self sustaining living ecosystem. Im sure id have to go aquaponics to understand this full experience. . . but yea, just my personal thoughts on why Ill never go sterile. Not saying the methods used by most are bad at all, more less i think there are better ways if that makes sense?

Anthem

Anthem

So im more focused on how fast the plants can pull up the water. If they can pull it up faster, they are technically getting more o2 right? I honestly dont know. I just know with my own eyes, but limited experience, the warmer the water, the faster the plant grows. Does that sound fair enough? So to me, there has to be a logical reason to why. Thats like with the pgrs, the make the plant pull up nutrients faster, the plants grow faster, even with the same 02 levels. But yes, my bacteria fight my plant for the dissolved o2. If I dont have enough o2 in the water, this process wouldnt be able to work at all. Still no trials from me, more less got my advice from the guy on here that gives the most hydro advice lol, aqua. Now i speak for myself, and hope he corrects me, but it seems as hes too busy.

As for my views on Sterile systems, im to bias to really explain it rationally to most. Its not that I love live systems, its more that I hate how this world is sterilizing everything. Peroxide, bleach, all the chemicals we add to destroy the cell walls of living organisms, well it makes things more unacceptable to everything. Super bugs were created by the abuse of antibiotics in humans. Now we have bacteria that is resistant to antibiotics. I dont think its a long shot to say that it will also happen in hydro. So instead of me killing everything in my water, I want to figure out a way to make it all work while keeping everything alive. More of a self sustaining living ecosystem. Im sure id have to go aquaponics to understand this full experience. . . but yea, just my personal thoughts on why Ill never go sterile. Not saying the methods used by most are bad at all, more less i think there are better ways if that makes sense?
If my memory serves me right you are in Missouri and I want to say you have been on the site for 3 or 4 months. It will be interesting to see how your system works when the weather becomes more favorable for bacteria and such in weather over there. I pretty much have to fight bacterial, fungus and virus year round in my climate so sterile just makes the most sense for me. But then again I am using HOCl for sterilizing agent. It breaks down rather fast when exposed to UV. there are always trade offs.
We can all do seat of the pants experiments and see if the outcome is pleasing but I learned along time about that seat of the pants is just that. How it feels or looks and there is not real science behind if there is a benefit or not so I need to use real data to determine what is a benefit. Meaning I will only change one thing at a time, determine if there was a benefit. Weight, trich product, weight, etc. This is the only way I know to determine if something was really a benefit.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Im waiting on you to drop the the hydroguard.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

If my memory serves me right you are in Missouri and I want to say you have been on the site for 3 or 4 months. It will be interesting to see how your system works when the weather becomes more favorable for bacteria and such in weather over there. I pretty much have to fight bacterial, fungus and virus year round in my climate so sterile just makes the most sense for me. But then again I am using HOCl for sterilizing agent. It breaks down rather fast when exposed to UV. there are always trade offs.
We can all do seat of the pants experiments and see if the outcome is pleasing but I learned along time about that seat of the pants is just that. How it feels or looks and there is not real science behind if there is a benefit or not so I need to use real data to determine what is a benefit. Meaning I will only change one thing at a time, determine if there was a benefit. Weight, trich product, weight, etc. This is the only way I know to determine if something was really a benefit.
So a year ago I had never thought about growing. I had never grown anything outdoors or indoors, in soil or hydro. My state made it legal so I filed and got my licenses to grow for myself early February. I bought the dwc stuff, no hydroguard and fought root rot. I came here looking for help, and that was in February. Next month ill be here a year. My first grows were great for me, and pretty impressive to most, just not here lol. This is where the kings stay, little harder to excel here. But yea, the summer was great here, and now im hitting dead winter and its still great. Started dwc, then rdwc, now this transplant system, this will be my second harvest. But yea, im not that science guy, I more less want to hear them all debate, and try to understand it all, but it doesnt mean I know how to explain it all. I thought I wanted to do side by sides, then i want aero, then i want a bigger system, get caregivers, and just go all out on it. . .now its like, it works beyond my expectations, i dont need more lol, or want to have to deal with anyone else and what they doing with it ya know. Every time I start searching aquaponics or biofloc systems I have to start studying chemistry, instead I go play a video game and hit the bowl lol. To me, its not what im going to dedicate the majority of my time to. But yes. .i get it, hell i could have had bad seeds before and good ones now, or phenos as they call it. So many variables. The sterile method is tried and confirmed to work. The live systems not so much, especially with warmer water and say, triacontanol.

Anthem

Anthem

So a year ago I had never thought about growing. I had never grown anything outdoors or indoors, in soil or hydro. My state made it legal so I filed and got my licenses to grow for myself early February. I bought the dwc stuff, no hydroguard and fought root rot. I came here looking for help, and that was in February. Next month ill be here a year. My first grows were great for me, and pretty impressive to most, just not here lol. This is where the kings stay, little harder to excel here. But yea, the summer was great here, and now im hitting dead winter and its still great. Started dwc, then rdwc, now this transplant system, this will be my second harvest. But yea, im not that science guy, I more less want to hear them all debate, and try to understand it all, but it doesnt mean I know how to explain it all. I thought I wanted to do side by sides, then i want aero, then i want a bigger system, get caregivers, and just go all out on it. . .now its like, it works beyond my expectations, i dont need more lol, or want to have to deal with anyone else and what they doing with it ya know. Every time I start searching aquaponics or biofloc systems I have to start studying chemistry, instead I go play a video game and hit the bowl lol. To me, its not what im going to dedicate the majority of my time to. But yes. .i get it, hell i could have had bad seeds before and good ones now, or phenos as they call it. So many variables. The sterile method is tried and confirmed to work. The live systems not so much, especially with warmer water and say, triacontanol.
FWIW the Kings have long moved on. Sure Dirtbag is still here and Aqua but take a look at Jackmayoffer, that guy is a king. They have long moved on, the questions like what is the best light and all the tent people was probably too much for them.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
i mean, each system has its pros and cons. i tried live for a while last run and ran into all kinds of fucked up issues between inability to get a good bottle of hydroguard, enzymes going sour, clouding in the res, deficiencies, etc. imo the only way to run live requires a chiller and for a decent sized chiller you're looking at $1k+. Nothing in a home grow setup should cost that much unless there are intentions to capitalize on product produced in some way.

sterile requires working with corrosive compounds that can pose threats to life and health, and like you mentioned @Cashmeh, it is a bit of playing with fire. That being said, I would be significantly impressed, and quite terrified, if some bug is capable of becoming immune to unstabilized h2o2 or shock. both of which are notoriously caustic chemicals that require careful handling otherwise severe personal injury can be had as a prize for playing stupid games.

ime, going sterile fixed 90% of my issues and allowed me to focus on the remaining 10% that were dialing environment, and nutrients. Stepping into hydro was definitely a learning experience, and still is, but the chemistry isn't terribly hard to understand unlike when looking at more organic methods such as aquaponics or even no-till organics which can have their own special levels of fucked up environmental fallout. it's far easier to allow anaerobic or otherwise pathogenic bacterias take hold in a live system than it is in a sterile system.

all that being said, as was discussed on many another thread, there are many ways to skin this cat. it's up to the grower to find what works for them in their circumstances, and it's also up to the grower to do the leg work for following whatever methodology they choose.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
FWIW the Kings have long moved on. Sure Dirtbag is still here and Aqua but take a look at Jackmayoffer, that guy is a king. They have long moved on, the questions like what is the best light and all the tent people was probably too much for them.
for real... don't get me started on rattling monikers that used to frequent this place -- true gods of growing. the golden era of the farm passed quite some time ago unfortunately.

_VLAD_

_VLAD_

Yall make this entirely too hard. Over analyzing everything, aqua and smokedareefer have both helped me out alot by just keeping it simple, and aqua specifically was the one to mention using southern AG (this same bacteria im sure is in other products)

I dump some in just about whenever I feel like/once twice a week. Cloudy/smells/etc it really knocks it out when first starting a run, once you get enough bacteria in the system it should regulate itself. This current run has shown me to use this stuff liberally. I dont check the water temp at all. Just keep the PH at 5.7 and make sure ppms dont go over ~700. Dont add a bunch of stuff, I just use GH maxi grow/bloom and a little bit of cal/mag.

My current roots arent bright white and my plants are doing well
0104222037a

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Gettogro, seamaiden, capulator, jalisco kid, to name a few. I joined here in 2014 was away for a few years only to return and find out theres more tents here than there is at a campsite in yellowstone park

WhatsHeDoingToday

WhatsHeDoingToday

So Im finding this very interesting as I ran DWC in a 5 gallon bucket in one tent with hydroguard and in the other tent i ran RDWC with a chiller and hydroguard. I ran the temp at 68 degrees in the RDWC via my chiller and was able to compare the growth between the two tents.. I have a thermal gun from Harbor Freight for $27 and used it on the outside of the bucket in the DWC, and in the RDWD I had a temperature probe inside one of the buckets so and the chiller also had a temperature readout on it. Active Aqua 1/10 hp. I noticed the DWC bucket was at 74 degrees F and I was concerned I was going to get root rot but kept the Hydro guard at 4 ml per gallon which is twice the recommended dosage. Let me tell you that after a few weeks it was really obvious to me that plants which were clones of the same strain off the same mother plant were growing much faster in the DWC bucket. 2 airstones in the buckets and 1 in the reservoir. I think the colder 68 degrees was holding back the growth in the RDWC. Nice harvest however this grow I decided I would run the temp in the RDWC at 72 degrees and I noticed about a 30 percent increase in bud size vs the grow at 68 degrees. So just because water holds more oxygen at 68 degrees didnt equate to more growth, I think 2 large air stones per bucket and slightly higher reservoir temps along with double dosage hydroguard is the way to go. Im drying the grow now and the buds are at least twice as large as the grow at 68 degrees... pretty convincing side by side comparison.. I feel like that chiller wont be used again now until the heat of summer later this year.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

So Im finding this very interesting as I ran DWC in a 5 gallon bucket in one tent with hydroguard and in the other tent i ran RDWC with a chiller and hydroguard. I ran the temp at 68 degrees in the RDWC via my chiller and was able to compare the growth between the two tents.. I have a thermal gun from Harbor Freight for $27 and used it on the outside of the bucket in the DWC, and in the RDWD I had a temperature probe inside one of the buckets so and the chiller also had a temperature readout on it. Active Aqua 1/10 hp. I noticed the DWC bucket was at 74 degrees F and I was concerned I was going to get root rot but kept the Hydro guard at 4 ml per gallon which is twice the recommended dosage. Let me tell you that after a few weeks it was really obvious to me that plants which were clones of the same strain off the same mother plant were growing much faster in the DWC bucket. 2 airstones in the buckets and 1 in the reservoir. I think the colder 68 degrees was holding back the growth in the RDWC. Nice harvest however this grow I decided I would run the temp in the RDWC at 72 degrees and I noticed about a 30 percent increase in bud size vs the grow at 68 degrees. So just because water holds more oxygen at 68 degrees didnt equate to more growth, I think 2 large air stones per bucket and slightly higher reservoir temps along with double dosage hydroguard is the way to go. Im drying the grow now and the buds are at least twice as large as the grow at 68 degrees... pretty convincing side by side comparison.. I feel like that chiller wont be used again now until the heat of summer later this year.
Yea I have it from a very reliable source of source the warmer the better. When you say they are twice the size it makes me thirsty. I've wanted 72f but couldn't ever get it that warm. My crawlspace below dropped the temp down to 68f after lights off. Then about 8hrs into lights on the res hit 71f lol.. So now we gotta 200w heater keeping them at 74 lol.. Going warmer for testing purposes. Im not used to soil or coco growth rates, just this shit. So to me if I can't see them growing, like mind blown ever 24hrs,im doing something wrong. Now that both systems are heated.. I have a feeling these buds will be massive too. I'm about to throw in my second scrog again lol.. #hydro

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Anyone ever try this stuff, says it's not organic but is a root stimmy?

If you can't find at least 2 people on here currently using it.. Don't lol.. 1 isn't enough. Plus man ur roots unless they slimy, are prolly just stained and won't ever get white white again. Only way to keep them white white is to keep ppms Hella low. Yet for most it's hard to do because they just keep putting stuff into their res lol..

Now if they slimey.. To the touch.. We need to talk. But I can grab my roots.. Massage them. . And my hand is wet, not slimy or sticky when done. I bet mine are white white, but I won't look for another 7 weeks lol

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Old thread by UCMENOW (its worth reading his stuff imo) about root pruning.

desertsquirrel, click on his name and read his stuff fyi

Last edited:
smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Pictures

Top Bottom