Help with RDWC establishing roots

• Thread starter login
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
login

login

i've never use the products you use, if the slime is getting more than something is not right with your water parameters. What has been added, removed or done that is causing the roots to get slimery.
I remember in DWC i had water parameter issues and i had to keep adding PH down and because of constantly adding ph down it was giving me trouble.
I add Jack's part A and B, Epsom salt, potassium silica, and UC roots.

Only thing I've started adding to my mix is Epsom salt 2 weeks ago.

I dont add much ph down maybe 10 ml in a whole week to keep it at 5.8.

I was hoping the UV water and RO filter with the UC roots would have kept the rot away.

Reactions: PK1
login

login

i've never use the products you use, if the slime is getting more than something is not right with your water parameters. What has been added, removed or done that is causing the roots to get slimery.
I remember in DWC i had water parameter issues and i had to keep adding PH down and because of constantly adding ph down it was giving me trouble.
I add Jack's part A and B, Epsom salt, potassium silica, and UC roots.

Only thing I've started adding to my mix is Epsom salt 2 weeks ago.

I dont add much ph down maybe 10 ml in a whole week to keep it at 5.8.

I was hoping the UV water and RO filter with the UC roots would have kept the rot away.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
The products are good, i think it has to do with the order you mix those nutrients. didn't you and aquaman talk about how to mix these in order?

login

login

Uc roots goes in first, followed by silica, than Jack's part A than part B last. I just add the Epsom salt to the Jack's part A and it mixes in just fine.

That's it not adding anything else.

Reactions: PK1
PK1

PK1

Supporter
Uc roots goes in first, followed by silica, than Jack's part A than part B last. I just add the Epsom salt to the Jack's part A and it mixes in just fine.

im not saying you are adding anything else, im saying that the order you put those together can be the cause but again i dont know cuz i don't use those products.
maybe someone else can shine a light on this. However, jacks A+B is a great product and it is like my MegaCrop A+B
So, in my DWC I had Mega Crop nutrients, Z9 and Epsom salt. Z9 was my enzym and never once i had a problem with the roots or water parameters.

PK1

PK1

Supporter

@tobh do you know the order that these products should be mixed. I think he is having slimming alage issues and something tells me it's either the way the products are mixed or somehow light is shining inside the buckets but im not sure.

Metrix

Metrix

First i need to say very nice setup, well done

Im not RDWC grower but NFT on bigger scale, your water temperature are to low, keep it a bit higher 69F -71F, from last root pics and your info i will say bad pathogens, root rot not yet.
As i understand thats your first grow in rdwc and before only coco, so well please take some short basic advice.
Always work very clean, sterilize all your equipment with h2o2, pipes, tanks, reservoir etc etc, avoid any contamination.

You adding at the moment things to reservoir without knowing what you dealing with, please dont do that, in best case take a water sample and bring to Lab or buy Microscope and check it by yourself, its not so hard to understand pathogens under Microscope, you can learn in quickly.

Wish you good luck and don't panic, my first NFT run kills over 120 plants, i did exactly what you do now.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
First i need to say very nice setup, well done

Im not RDWC grower but NFT on bigger scale, your water temperature are to low, keep it a bit higher 69F -71F, from last root pics and your info i will say bad pathogens, root rot not yet.
As i understand thats your first grow in rdwc and before only coco, so well please take some short basic advice.
Always work very clean, sterilize all your equipment with h2o2, pipes, tanks, reservoir etc etc, avoid any contamination.

You adding at the moment things to reservoir without knowing what you dealing with, please dont do that, in best case take a water sample and bring to Lab or buy Microscope and check it by yourself, its not so hard to understand pathogens under Microscope, you can learn in quickly.

Wish you good luck and don't panic, my first NFT run kills over 120 plants, i did exactly what you do now.
thats for sure, when he resets this he would need to clean every equipment, pipes, rez, airs tones with hydrogen peroxide or he'll be running in same issue again.

Metrix

Metrix

Forgot to mention as i saw some wrong infos,
1. Air pumps alway on, never turn it off
2. pH between 5.6 and 6.2, depends of the plant growing stage
3. Water temperature constant
4. Water circulation always on

tobh

tobh

Supporter
read through the past couple pages, and i've not anything to add. water temps are a little low, but not terrible. i've never done DWC or RDWC before, so my experience here is non-existent.

as for order of mixing, i've not worked with jacks or uc roots before. personally, what i don't see are any measures to prevent pathogens, either live like hydroguard and enzymes, or sterile like h2o2 or pool shock. personally, i won't run a live res. there are too many things that can go wrong, fast, and your solution temps become much more critical. i would go pick up some 34% h2o2 and add 5ml per gallon of solution in the system. that'll take care of anything living that you don't want living in the system.

at changeover after harvest, disassemble everything, toss out air stones or anything else like that which is impossible to confirm clean, scrub everything with antibacterial soap, rubbing alcohol, h2o2 solution, then bleach, then h2o2 again. reassemble, run the system with a high concentration of h2o2, like 10ml per gallon, flush with clean water, then should be back to a point where your issues are taken care of.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
read through the past couple pages, and i've not anything to add. water temps are a little low, but not terrible. i've never done DWC or RDWC before, so my experience here is non-existent.

as for order of mixing, i've not worked with jacks or uc roots before. personally, what i don't see are any measures to prevent pathogens, either live like hydroguard and enzymes, or sterile like h2o2 or pool shock. personally, i won't run a live res. there are too many things that can go wrong, fast, and your solution temps become much more critical. i would go pick up some 34% h2o2 and add 5ml per gallon of solution in the system. that'll take care of anything living that you don't want living in the system.

at changeover after harvest, disassemble everything, toss out air stones or anything else like that which is impossible to confirm clean, scrub everything with antibacterial soap, rubbing alcohol, h2o2 solution, then bleach, then h2o2 again. reassemble, run the system with a high concentration of h2o2, like 10ml per gallon, flush with clean water, then should be back to a point where your issues are taken care of.
then i would run a smaller system to at least understand the grow method before planting 20 girls 🤔 not trying to be rude but just a fact that its a bitch cleaning all those equipments.

login

login

Wow that makes me want to go back to growing in coco.

So I just ordered some mycostop from current culture and some hygrozyme off Amazon.

Also since it was all I had I just dump 125 ml of santidate 5.0 into the system it really messed up the ph and cant get it back up oh well I'll let it run today and do a rez change in the morning.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

So I think his grow is going fine thus far. I run 6 strains in the same system and usually one looks a little different, but always grows. I see great white roots, excellent root structure, and no deficiencies up top. I wouldnt be keeping my ppms that high, but other than that it seems like you will be fine. None of your lower fan leafs are dying or showing issues. . .like you dont have root rot. . .

Are you sterile or live??? Are you running bbs?

login

login

So I think his grow is going fine thus far. I run 6 strains in the same system and usually one looks a little different, but always grows. I see great white roots, excellent root structure, and no deficiencies up top. I wouldnt be keeping my ppms that high, but other than that it seems like you will be fine. None of your lower fan leafs are dying or showing issues. . .like you dont have root rot. . .

Are you sterile or live??? Are you running bbs?
I'm running sterile or thought I was but I've got this brown looking slime now and growth is super slow in this pic these plants are on week 5 of veg

20211213 094349
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Sorry man, imma hydroguard guy. I have no idea how they fight this stuff in sterile systems. I do see the slight slime as to what your talking about. Id say the growth will be faster is you can get your res temps up to 72. Hard to do that in sterile

login

login

Sorry man, imma hydroguard guy. I have no idea how they fight this stuff in sterile systems. I do see the slight slime as to what your talking about. Id say the growth will be faster is you can get your res temps up to 72. Hard to do that in sterile
Heisenberg says he now uses kangaroots, so I ordered some of that too. I dont care if I run sterile or alive I just want to have healthy plans.
It seemed like everything was going fine until I did my first full res change out.
And every piece of equipment was brand new. Even have a negative pressure pulling in fresh air through HEPA filters. Air and water should both have been sterile.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
i wonder what you guys think of the white pvc pipe and the amount of lights that is going through it. only thing i can think of if you are running your enzymes and nutrient schedules properly.
cuz if the enzymes are not working correctly that can cause problems

Top Bottom