High priced coco...why

• Thread starter homebrew420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
homebrew420

homebrew420

Hey all curiosity has gotten the better of me and I need to know...why does anyone purchase expensive bagss of loose coco?
After coco is saturated you rinse double the amount of water through pot, ie #3 gets about 3 gal washed through. Then plant. Using the cheapest compressed coco this is 100% effective. Think about what you are feeding and how many times you will feed before the roots are growing into the bag. We buy these by the pallet load. Next time will be a shipping container. We pay arox 1.50 for a #3 bag with a brick in it. Expand brick and away we go.

Ever after

Ever after

because its been purged of its salts im not sure i buy the 20 dollar bag stuff cuz its rinsed and i dont like rinsing more than i already have to as i like my coco to start off with a run off of 100ppm or lower

B

bckwht

Maybe I got an overly salty block but I've ran 5x the amount of water through atleast and it's just now looking right, going to use my new truncheon pen to make sure Ive flushed enough..btw how come nobody tells you the truncheon pen is as big as a small baseball bat..thought it was the size of a ball point pen lmao I thought they gave me a dummy model haha

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
I'm with goo on the canna. If you go to the right places you can get it for 17/bag. No rinsing just beautiful, consistent coco. Love canna.

B

bckwht

I'm with goo on the canna. If you go to the right places you can get it for 17/bag. No rinsing just beautiful, consistent coco. Love canna.
Ever experience any pest issues? I guess rinsing bricks isn't the worst but canna became available kinda close to me recently so I'd def be willing to try a nice "no rinse" straight outta the bag coco.

Amber

Amber

You get what you pay for. Some coco comes with the ph of the bag on the bag. To me that is a company that makes sure you are getting a quality product. In the coco world Canna is king. You are going to get the same great quality in every bag every time. Its nice and soft on the hands sometimes soothes the hands that are tortured by all the skin eating products we use.

Cort

Cort

hydro store guy tried to sell me $40 bag, told me the coconuts were grown indoors in Holland or some such crap.

Royal Gold, cheap as I can find local. Cranked up the water heater, flushed with super hot tap to clear any salt or bug issues. Never seen a bug but it is a little salty.

Charged with cheap dry nutes and double dose of epsom. Dose of caps tea at transplant.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
20 bucks a bag for something that is a waste product...sounds like the distributer is $$$ off the herbal artists....best tasting herbs for the last couple decades or more has come from soil imo! Coco is good for hydro...but I'm def not a hydro guy.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Right so what I am seeing here is that most arent willing to ditch coco because you don't like to rinse? Instead do we believe that the hour at transplant to run straight h20 through all the plants would save the amount of money spent?
Not hating I promise. I have used at least 10 different coco brands. They were all the same. Seeds can be finicky in some brands it seems.
Babba I could easily make a believer out of you.
Amber why do you believe Canna is king? Because you believe that ita the only one/one of the few, ready to use? Honestly just trying to understand what drivespeoplw to pay eextortionist pricing on a waste product, well 3put Babba)

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I've used B'cuzz, Canna, and every other bag I've ever seen. Would never use coconut fiber to grow plants as they don't do any better, it cost more and it comes from way far away. It's simple, good herbs were grown before this Coco niche overpaying market opened and still the best is in soil, imho.

Coco fiber is what it is and I don't think growing plants is what I would ever buy it for, nor would I buy it for anything. FWIW plants will grow in almost anything..

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I'm the kinda grower that will give almost any product a chance...I have tried almost every single item in those stores...because it's my hobby and I like to try many ways as you don't know if you can improve it until you try. I've tried many many new items and I hear many old timers say" if it ain't broke don't fix it". Well, some of my messing around and experimenting have def helped in many ways and without fiddling around I would be ignorant of many things...
I'm always still learning and if COCO is your thing cool, just know that it's new and hasn't been used nearly as long as soil and has had so many more problems for growers compared to soil and cost more...but It's NEW and it's the BEST I SWEAR!! lol

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
Ever experience any pest issues? I guess rinsing bricks isn't the worst but canna became available kinda close to me recently so I'd def be willing to try a nice "no rinse" straight outta the bag coco.
Never had any pest issues with canna. I've used almost every brand out there and haven't found anything better. Not sure why people think its outrageously expensive. ( it's only a couple dollars more than botanicare and it won't fry your plants when you put them in it.) I use a ton of coco so for all the hassle of thoroughly rinsing it ill pay a couple of bucks and make transplant day a little easier.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Never had any pest issues with canna. I've used almost every brand out there and haven't found anything better. Not sure why people think its outrageously expensive. ( it's only a couple dollars more than botanicare and it won't fry your plants when you put them in it.) I use a ton of coco so for all the hassle of thoroughly rinsing it ill pay a couple of bucks and make transplant day a little easier.
Yep, I agree, If I was using it on the regular, I'd pay more versus rinsing all day...for the smaller gardener I suppose rinsing it works...but for the pallet farmer that isn't an option.

Latest posts

Top Bottom