High priced coco...why

• Thread starter homebrew420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
homebrew420

homebrew420

Sorry sounded like a real dick... point being, one has to sometime look beyond the shitty store that knows they can charge you more without question. Look beyond the hobby ripoff market.

Lets remember folks coco is NOT just used by cannabis growers, it is a media used worldwide in abundance. It works well for most all plant commercially.

Peace

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

If i had a brick of coco, i would NEVER put Marijuana plants in it without washing it a ton. Also these are my opinions like i stated above!

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

I also dont believe a cheap brick of coco has half the quality or steps taken to clean the coco as Canna or HG, but again this is just what i think!

I dont know what stuff you get!

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Im with baba on this. Ive been using coco for years but started with peat. I currently have several beds setup and my sunshine 4 is crushing all the others in coco with far less maintenance and nutrients.

Bricks are good just preference of prepping. Just dont get the mexican coco shit has sand in it, terrible standards.

After reading the report from University of Utah I decided to do a lil experiment.

Sunshine #4
Canna/Perlite (70)/30)
Sunshine #4 and Canna/Perlite.

The differences were astounding!!! The peat way out performed the coco, and the mix seems to be right in line with the straight peat. I currently have about 300 gallons of canna/perlite, and will be cutting it more and more with peat. Don't wanna lose my HERD. But until I start seeing problems with peat...I don't think I will buy another bag of Coco. My local Nursery has Sunshine #4 bales for 20 bucks.

Thanks for posting that a while back MWD.....you got me on the Peat Train for sure!

One the subject of blocks....I tried it a couple of times, and it was just a hassle for me personally. I had to wet the brick to let it expand. I then did a slurry test and wound up with a 1600 ppm reading....so I flushed the shit out of it til it got down to the 100ppm range. Then I had to wait to let it dry out a bit so I could add perlite.....that took a couple of days. That was it for me....never again. I would gladly pay a few extra bucks for my bags of Canna.....but not anymore.

I think a lot of it comes down to convenience.....well for me anyway.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

If i had a brick of coco, i would NEVER put Marijuana plants in it without washing it a ton. Also these are my opinions like i stated above!
I stopped rinsing gh 5kg block a long time ago if it is or was causing a problem what would or should I see burn?

ttystikk

ttystikk

I run my chowmix over and over and over, I do not rinse between runs, I do not add anything. I get great results over and over and over.

I do NOT spend money every cycle for substrate. This was no accident; coco is designed to be basically inert. So why change it out? I can't reuse rockwool because it physically degrades, potting soil depletes, etc.

Chowmix doesn't degrade like that, so I just keep using it. Why doesn't it get salty? Because my topfeed irrigation is continually rinsing it out while providing fresh nutrients. This also lets me continually use the same microherd over and over and over...

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Tystik I'm even planting clones back into same DNA container since mycorrhizae is host plant specific!

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

Cocotec is one of the better and cleaner bricks that ive used, but i still notice the brown dirty water coming out of it during the first rinse. Even moderately priced bagged coco does this.

Personally ive had the best growth so far in the canna coco. Many others say the same...

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

dude i'm telling you guys fuck cannas high prices, get nutrifield its rhp sealed and id the same shit as canna different bag cheaper price, the bricks don't require rinsing either.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

Good coco, bad coco, salty coco... what I still don't get is after all this work and expense, why are you guys throwing it away?!
i know right, i was reusing for 9 months just recently threw it all out because of a root aphid scare i had. at that point i said fuck the $$$. i'll be tossing this round out again but be bacl to reusing again after words when i'm positive they're gone.

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

To all their own i guess. Most people dont have time for salt in thier coco...

I just dont like to skip steps, and this is a simple one. Why would a company write a article about washing their coco if it was perfectly clean?

ttystikk

ttystikk

To all their own i guess. Most people dont have time for salt in thier coco...

I just dont like to skip steps, and this is a simple one. Why would a company write a article about washing their coco if it was perfectly clean?

I'm asking a similar question; if coco is basically inert, why replace it at all? You've done all the work to rinse, charge, and prep it, so why tips it just because one run is done?

I'm reusing my chowmix over and over, and I swear I get better results as time goes on. Cheaper, and since I don't rinse between cycles, a lot less work!

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

I have never reused before but that was when i didnt have much coco and my cost on it was low so i just chucked it. Now that i have spent the money on canna and a lot of it, i will be reusing it. It will probably be easier than hauling it out to throw it away anyways..

Personally im not to worried about the salt content even after a run or two. I run a salt cleaning product & enzyms in my nutes so i never have high salt buildup in my root zone. I would just be worried about the salt content in new bricks before i ever put plants into them.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I have never reused before but that was when i didnt have much coco and my cost on it was low so i just chucked it. Now that i have spent the money on canna and a lot of it, i will be reusing it. It will probably be easier than hauling it out to throw it away anyways..

Personally im not to worried about the salt content even after a run or two. I run a salt cleaning product & enzyms in my nutes so i never have high salt buildup in my root zone. I would just be worried about the salt content in new bricks before i ever put plants into them.
Too many worries too many minds!

One Flip

One Flip

I pay more for coco I don't have to rinse, cannas nice but I use nutrifield same shit different bag and a few bucks cheaper, I don't know what state you guys are getting canna for $17 a bag but up here in Washington canna controls pricing like a mother fucker. Only like 6-7 shops in the state sell the shit and they just recently were allowed to give a 10% discount if you buy 1k plus. For that shit I hate canna and will only get when I need coco in a jiff and my pallet of nutrifield is empty.
I go to Portland and buy it for 18 + No tax.. I could probably get it a little cheaper but i just started using it. What do you pay for NF? Someone had just offered me a bag to try and I'm tempted to see what price I can negotiate seeing that you give it a good review and the store is right down the street.

Top Bottom