High priced coco...why

• Thread starter homebrew420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

To all their own i guess. Most people dont have time for salt in thier coco...

I just dont like to skip steps, and this is a simple one. Why would a company write a article about washing their coco if it was perfectly clean?

No what I'm saying it is a waste of time time to wash coco, just buy stuff prewashed. At this point in life time which I don't have much of is the most valuable thing I have, I don't want to waste a couple hours washing out coco, fuck plus the waste of water too.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

I go to Portland and buy it for 18 + No tax.. I could probably get it a little cheaper but i just started using it. What do you pay for NF? Someone had just offered me a bag to try and I'm tempted to see what price I can negotiate seeing that you give it a good review and the store is right down the street.
You should take it you'll see it's the same shit.
Depending on how many bags you get I'm sure you could get it a buck or two cheaper. I have a hydro business so I get mine at wholesale, if I didn't get it wholesale I'd still use it, the only reason I'd buy canna is if the NF wasn't available to me at the time. The cannas great just expensive and those cunts try to control the price like a mother

homebrew420

homebrew420

Let me pose the question of rinsing coc like this..
How long do you suspect the plant may take to BEGIN to root into the new media at trantplant? As fast as a day? Maybe 3?
Now ask yourself how many times will this be watered/fed during the first few days? On a schedule at LEAST once a day until runnoff? Twice a day?
The point being feeding/watering will do the same thing as flushing the media before the plant established itself.
I conceed no good reason to purchase expensive prewashed coco. Also finding the proper supplier is very important, ie; where does it come from. We want inland coconut plantation product. No sea spray.

Peace

ttystikk

ttystikk

I don't really care if mine dries between one use and the next, as the first thing that happens to it is a good flush with fresh nutrient water.

homebrew420

homebrew420

I reuse at least 50% on my home stuff. At work once and done. More work than its worth. With these number.
Wet dry issue sort of irrelevant because as a general rule you flushing for at least a week likely 2. There is nothimg left. Thats why the plant starve.
In short your good. I have yanked the old out enough root ball to fit the next. Worked alright. Not optimal but finished fine. Media is irrelevant so long as the pH proper and nutes are complete. My thoughts on that.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I'm gonna reuse my coco/perlite mix after this run, so I have a question. After I cut out the root ball, should I also mix the used coco and try to take out old roots, or just flush with an enzyme, or both??

S

Stomper

How long can you go without using nutrients if you use the canna coco. What's the white balls I see in some people's grows.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I'm gonna reuse my coco/perlite mix after this run, so I have a question. After I cut out the root ball, should I also mix the used coco and try to take out old roots, or just flush with an enzyme, or both??
I just rip out the size of hole I need for the transplant wich is usually a half gal bag or one gallon round container and I use to do the enzyme rinse for old roots but I stopped because I was convinced the enzymes coming from bacteria and fungus are plenty good luck and have fun with it!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I just rip out the size of hole I need for the transplant wich is usually a half gal bag or one gallon round container and I use to do the enzyme rinse for old roots but I stopped because I was convinced the enzymes coming from bacteria and fungus are plenty good luck and have fun with it!

Thanks for the info, I've never re-used any substrate so I thought it would be a problem for the roots to grow once the substrate is already filled with old roots. But if it works for you I'll give it a try, thanks again.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Thanks for the info, I've never re-used any substrate so I thought it would be a problem for the roots to grow once the substrate is already filled with old roots. But if it works for you I'll give it a try, thanks again.

The way I do this is to run my chowmix substrate in 8" netpot bucket lids over rdwc water. The rdwc water is pumped onto the coco as a top feed, say 20 seconds every 3 hours during the day. This both waters and charges the substrate with nutrients and holds its pH at the same value as the rdwc water.

Add your organic soilbuilders to the top of the substrate so they get watered in. Chowmix in particular is a great choice for this, as the bennies love both the crevices in hydroton and the coco in the spaces between the stones.

The benefits continue as that water drizzles down through the chowmix, down the roots and back to the rdwc below. First that water gets filtered; any solids, pythium rot, algae or whatnot gets beached and filtered out. Then, bennies and the materials they create also wash down into the rdwc, benefiting roots beneath. Those bennies also compete against any rot, stopping it in its tracks long before it gets a chance to do nasty things.

Bottom line? Growth rates as fast as any other system I've ever seen- aeroponics included- and pH stability undreamed of by pure rdwc users, plus a degree of robustness in operation I never got even from soil. Once, I ran the system all but completely dry- usually the ultimate dwc disaster, right? The plants? They didn't care!

sixstring

sixstring

How long can you go without using nutrients if you use the canna coco. What's the white balls I see in some people's grows.
the white stuff is perlite and/or vermiculite.i ran some seeds in the canna coco and they looked kinda off color right away so i went back to using some nutes,like 1/4 strength.alot of folks precharge the coco before use by rinsing it with calmag.i've dont that and cuts are good for a few weeks with just water.im using some house n garden coco now and its good right out the bag with 1/4 st grow nutes from day one,least for me anyways.gl

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Im on a strict organic regimine ni tap no ph adjusters and no bottled humic or no high phosphorous anything

homebrew420

homebrew420

Glad to see people discussimg these thing. Reused coco works so well. I have been knocking old coco feom root ball into new mix and compst the rest for veggy garden.

budboy299

budboy299

I've run coco for 3 yrs now and reuse it all the time.
I actually think the reused coco runs better or at least more consistant than the new coco.
My guess is this....
New coco (even properly flushed) seems to bind certain elements until it is "saturated" to the point that it stops hogging that particular nutrient.
New coco seems to sometimes take a few weeks to kind of even out. Older coco already is loaded to the saturation point, of whatever nutrient it wants to bind. (I seem to remember that its calcium that it hogs)
Thats why I love reusing the coco. Some containers I have now had running for 2 years on the same original coco. Mind you it is getting finer grade with time but still is plenty chunky for my needs.

BudGoggles

BudGoggles

The way I do this is to run my chowmix substrate in 8" netpot bucket lids over rdwc water. The rdwc water is pumped onto the coco as a top feed, say 20 seconds every 3 hours during the day. This both waters and charges the substrate with nutrients and holds its pH at the same value as the rdwc water.

Add your organic soilbuilders to the top of the substrate so they get watered in. Chowmix in particular is a great choice for this, as the bennies love both the crevices in hydroton and the coco in the spaces between the stones.

The benefits continue as that water drizzles down through the chowmix, down the roots and back to the rdwc below. First that water gets filtered; any solids, pythium rot, algae or whatnot gets beached and filtered out. Then, bennies and the materials they create also wash down into the rdwc, benefiting roots beneath. Those bennies also compete against any rot, stopping it in its tracks long before it gets a chance to do nasty things.

Bottom line? Growth rates as fast as any other system I've ever seen- aeroponics included- and pH stability undreamed of by pure rdwc users, plus a degree of robustness in operation I never got even from soil. Once, I ran the system all but completely dry- usually the ultimate dwc disaster, right? The plants? They didn't care!

So your coco doesnt fall out the net pot into the rdwc water flowing underneath

ttystikk

ttystikk

I was just thinking about it clogging up a pump or something somewhere

Thanks
BG

The first place the newly up-transplanted girls go is onto an ebb n flood table. This repeated washing gets a lot of the loose coco. Then, they go into an rdwc in the veg tent, and this one dies build up some coco. By the time they get to the rdwc in bloom, the net pots have been rinsed so much that whatever is going to come out has.

Top Bottom