High priced coco...why

• Thread starter homebrew420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

I pay more for coco I don't have to rinse, cannas nice but I use nutrifield same shit different bag and a few bucks cheaper, I don't know what state you guys are getting canna for $17 a bag but up here in Washington canna controls pricing like a mother fucker. Only like 6-7 shops in the state sell the shit and they just recently were allowed to give a 10% discount if you buy 1k plus. For that shit I hate canna and will only get when I need coco in a jiff and my pallet of nutrifield is empty.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
Ill bet you can guess what state were in KGA.

C

cheech

I don't grow in coco very often, but when I do I purchase it off of a particular ebay vendor in brick form. I use it over canna because it drains much faster, and it veged the plants faster than the canna did in my three experiments. The faster veg definitely made up for the flushing that had to be done. Still pithy like canna, but not super pithy. Put a hose on a 7 gallon of pure coco, and it will drain perfectly without bogging up -unlike canna.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Im with baba on this. Ive been using coco for years but started with peat. I currently have several beds setup and my sunshine 4 is crushing all the others in coco with far less maintenance and nutrients.

Bricks are good just preference of prepping. Just dont get the mexican coco shit has sand in it, terrible standards.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Ive been hearing more ppl going back to peat, can someone fill me in as to why not jus their experiences but scientifically why it would b better/superior in performance.
Confu.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Ive been hearing more ppl going back to peat, can someone fill me in as to why not jus their experiences but scientifically why it would b better/superior in performance.
Confu.
dizzlekush posted university studies showing crop production of several crops in a weekly deal and the peat abso-fucking-lutely crushed the coco in every way it wasnt even funny. So I thought to myself lets run one peat bed. From day one everything has been better/easier I wish the whole room was in peat. Also the bales of ss4 can fill 2 beds for 47$ the coco is 17-20 a bag and takes just over 2 to fill so 1/2 price!!! Fuck coco and the shitty standards for the future just custying us over and over..

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
dizzlekush posted university studies showing crop production of several crops in a weekly deal and the peat abso-fucking-lutely crushed the coco in every way it wasnt even funny. So I thought to myself lets run one peat bed. From day one everything has been better/easier I wish the whole room was in peat. Also the bales of ss4 can fill 2 beds for 47$ the coco is 17-20 a bag and takes just over 2 to fill so 1/2 price!!! Fuck coco and the shitty standards for the future just custying us over and over..
Thnx Mid, ima look that up. First run i ever did was outdoor in promix. Did great but ended up lockin plants out towards the end. That was my only experience with peat. Def worth lookin into.
Confu.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Sounds like availabilty and ease of access seems the real reason. This flush everyone seems so against is literally 3x volume. That's not a whole lot.
Babba ivam a warehouse grower and we purchase by the pallet. Expand coco flush 2x with water and feed. All arw transplanted from 4" rockwool cubes. With an autoumated drip/spray we can expand 40 bricks in 20 min after in place.
I get it if its ease of use though.

Hey I am not really interested in the politics of coco more the practical use and reasons for paying more for a said product. Curious that's all.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Peace

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

Ive been running coco at one of my gardens for almost 3 yrs. Ive had the same coco in the beds for a little more than a year/5 runs and everytime it gets better. Ive ran canna and house and garden and never had a problem with either. But im not going to say anything because for all I know homebrew might have something weve never tried before. I love coco, always have. I mostly stick to soil outdoors and let my UC or coco handle the indoor. Anyways im up for a try homebrew

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I worked at a grow store 2 1/2 yrs ago and this salt rinsing thing seemed like it was taken care of at the packaging end

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

By the way I root clones in that non rinsed coco just hydrated

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

If anyone is interested there's other reasons why I don't rinse or thoroughly rinse my coco blocks

homebrew420

homebrew420

Cave I'm gonna try to guess. Because you know its unnessisary?
When I stated we water 2x the volume is just watering the transplant in. We have a very good coco supplier.
Hydrogardens folks, especially for those in CO

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I would like to try something new ill try it when I get a chance... I think I use GH 5kg all I remember is its the cheaper of the two in sunlight supply and I think GH is bigger co than botanicare but I recycle so its been a while.... The reason why I do not rinse so much is because the manufacture years back said they rain rinse the ocean salt out and no heat is used because the coco is packed with a ton of trichoderma I think that's fungi and back when I still ph 'd stuff I would get it at 6'sh which is perfect for my well and compost tea for veg in flower I don't check ph but I assume its 7-7.5 maybe even eight but I start my flowering off with an acidic compost tea (wishful thinking,faith and green leaves) tell me it drops enough to not worry about ph for the rest of the flowering

DesiretheFire

DesiretheFire

Let me break it down for you.

Coco bricks> very cheap LOTs of rinsing.

Moderately expensive coco bags> Some rinsing (for me).

H&G and Canna> Zero rinsing perfect consistency and drainage. Peace of mind.

I used to buy bricks and wash the shit out of them, but that was 3 years ago when my grow was 1/4 the size. Ive used Cheap bricks, more expensive bricks like botanicare and GH. Ive used Nutrifield, Roots organic, Royal & now Canna. I personally like the way my plants grow in the canna the best. Growth is great and the drainage is perfect.

It takes a couple years to get coco dialed in in my opinion. But once you do, i think coco outproduces soil in EVERY way except taste.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Let me break it down for you.

Coco bricks> very cheap LOTs of rinsing.

Moderately expensive coco bags> Some rinsing (for me).

H&G and Canna> Zero rinsing perfect consistency and drainage. Peace of mind.

I used to buy bricks and wash the shit out of them, but that was 3 years ago when my grow was 1/4 the size. Ive used Cheap bricks, more expensive bricks like botanicare and GH. Ive used Nutrifield, Roots organic, Royal & now Canna. I personally like the way my plants grow in the canna the best. Growth is great and the drainage is perfect.

It takes a couple years to get coco dialed in in my opinion. But once you do, i think coco outproduces soil in EVERY way except taste.
Absolutely false my friend. I feel it is unwise, in personal experience, to make statements that have no merit. This is from our supplier...
20130416 134715

Top Bottom