High THCV strains and breeding them

• Thread starter TripsRabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Funny just how little consensus there is on what to do. Intelligent people with good experience disagree on even the little things like how much heat or humidity.

Maybe we can do some sort of poll as to what conditions to test, and I'll be the team's virtual lab: growing, testing, documenting, reporting and perhaps we can figure this out together? I would share 100% of the data and resulting genetics to whoever wants them.

Terpz719

Terpz719

I don't think there is anything to infrared other than heat, perhaps it needs to run hotter than I would typically.
I don't know if environment plays into THCV production. After reading this, it seems like it comes down more to genetics just like high CBG strains. Obviously, I don't know for sure. Just throwing this out there.

"Unlike THC, cannabidiol (CBD), and cannabichromene (CBC), THCV doesn’t begin as cannabigerolic acid (CBGA). Instead of combining with olivetolic acid to create CBGA, geranyl pyrophosphate joins with divarinolic acid, which has two fewer carbon atoms. The result is cannabigerovarin acid (CBGVA). Once CBGVA is created, the process continues exactly the same as it would for THC. CBGVA is broken down to tetrahydrocannabivarin carboxylic acid (THCVA) by the enzyme THCV synthase. At that point, THCVA can be decarboxylated with heat or UV light to create THCV. "

Tetrahydrocannabivarin - Wikipedia

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I don't know if environment plays into THCV production. After reading this, it seems like it comes down more to genetics just like high CBG strains.

You may be 100% correct, it is either in the seed's genetics to have THCV synthase or not. Somebody on this planet knows, and they are not on this thread or not telling even if they were. I'm used to doing things the hard way at this point in life.

Right now, the only knobs I have to turn are environmental since the genetics were locked in months ago, so I'll exhaust the environmental things as best as I can while looking for proven genetics for subsequent grows.

growsince79

growsince79

You may be 100% correct, it is either in the seed's genetics to have THCV synthase or not. Somebody on this planet knows, and they are not on this thread or not telling even if they were. I'm used to doing things the hard way at this point in life.

Right now, the only knobs I have to turn are environmental since the genetics were locked in months ago, so I'll exhaust the environmental things as best as I can while looking for proven genetics for subsequent grows.
Environment has everything to do with genetic evolution. If you plant top shelf Colombian in kansas and let it grow wild, in a few years it will be low grade thc hemp.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Environment has everything to do with genetic evolution. If you plant top shelf Colombian in kansas and let it grow wild, in a few years it will be low grade thc hemp.
I know an old timer who dropped 20x each of Sensi gueriilas gusto, early skunk, nl5 x Haze, mexican sativa, and northern lights about six years ago in the hills of eastern Tennessee. Selected by nothing but seed size for five seasons dropping...substantial numbers. Just finished his first season in northern michigan. All for seed (chickens love cannabis seeds) but i have smoked it...it is not low thc hemp.

Also absolutely insanely vigorous now. He showed me a picture of an 8 foot girl still standing in December. In northern mi. What finally killed her was literally being buried in snow. I'm planning to go get some seeds from him this summer and grow some girls sinsemilla to see what they are like.

Why is he doing this? He seems to think he might be able to get it to cross with hops i think. Idk.

growsince79

growsince79

I know an old timer who dropped 20x each of Sensi gueriilas gusto, early skunk, nl5 x Haze, mexican sativa, and northern lights about six years ago in the hills of eastern Tennessee. Selected by nothing but seed size for five seasons. Just finished his first season in northern michigan. All for seed, but i have smoked it...it is not hemp.

Also absolutely insanely vigorous now. He showed me a picture of an 8 foot girl still standing in December. In northern mi. What finally killed her was literally being buried in snow. I'm planning to go get some seeds from him this summer and grow some girls sinsemilla to see what they are like.

Why is he doing this? He seems to think he might be able to get it to cross with hops i think. Idk.
Oh really? I guess robert clark and ed rosenthal were wrong. Or maybe it's because a human selected the seeds. Idk

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Oh really? I guess robert clark and ed rosenthal were wrong. Or maybe it's because a human selected the seeds. Idk
🤷‍♂️

Again, it's an interesting experiment this guy has been running, so if I can my hands on his seeds i will find out what they are like for myself. If nothing else the vigor will be interesting.

growsince79

growsince79

I know an old timer who dropped 20x each of Sensi gueriilas gusto, early skunk, nl5 x Haze, mexican sativa, and northern lights about six years ago in the hills of eastern Tennessee. Selected by nothing but seed size for five seasons dropping...substantial numbers. Just finished his first season in northern michigan. All for seed (chickens love cannabis seeds) but i have smoked it...it is not low thc hemp.

How is it possible for any wild weed plant to survive multiple killing frosts? My volunteer didn't even make it to November in south oklahoma. Surely they are getting covered at night. They aren't natural selection.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
How is it possible for any wild weed plant to survive multiple killing frosts? My volunteer didn't even make it to November in south oklahoma. Surely they are getting covered at night. They aren't natural selection.
Idk. Maybe he is bsing me or maybe there is something about the spot it was in that made it particularly able to withstand punishment. Idk.

I will see if I can dig some pics up of these plants.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Idk. Maybe he is bsing me or maybe there is something about the spot it was in that made it particularly able to withstand punishment. Idk.

I will see if I can dig some pics up of these plants.
This is the only one I can find atm. From early September. Obviously good vigor but nothing insane. He literally just threw it in the dirt and then fed it some chicken shit mulch once.

Screenshot 20210113 120514

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Just reading about Jack the ripper strain and thcv and am thinking i would likely be looking at ace seeds Malawi for high thcv rather than a lucky hybrid like subcools plants. Maybe its in one of those seeds but i still think a fast flowering plant will tend to not have it.

also a shame i never had any Blue Lemon Thai tested. I may have lost the high thcv plant already. My favorite trippy clone was culled with the root aphid infestation. And i cant get more blt seeds.

Its the Motarebel Lemon Thai in there i suspect could be something.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Just reading about Jack the ripper strain and thcv and am thinking i would likely be looking at ace seeds Malawi for high thcv rather than a lucky hybrid like subcools plants. Maybe its in one of those seeds but i still think a fast flowering plant will tend to not have it.

also a shame i never had any Blue Lemon Thai tested. I may have lost the high thcv plant already. My favorite trippy clone was culled with the root aphid infestation. And i cant get more blt seeds.

Its the Motarebel Lemon Thai in there i suspect could be something.
I suspect Golden Tiger (malawi x thai, reportedly trippy) will have thcv.

Now I have a kit to try and find out! Also with haze and panama.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I suspect Golden Tiger (malawi x thai, reportedly trippy) will have thcv.

Now I have a kit to try and find out! Also with haze and panama.

Ok. Whichever ones ace tested and says can have it. I just dont think many of the short flowering jack the rippers will have much. With the BLT’s the longer flowering phenos leaning more sativa are the trippy ones usually and the shorter ones more stoney.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I'm going to post a vid of TLC testing if not tonight, tomorrow nite. I am testing the effects of decarb parameters so I will have a 4 sample test once I do the 4 decarbs. Should be nice to compare notes on these.
That would be very welcome. I have an interest in testing two of my strains from Ace so if you post how you do it that would help my confidence a lot.

I also recently realized I could use this testing on my potential dads and select the one that shows the highest THC potential at the expense of all else just to drive @MIMedGrower crazy 🤣 🤣 🤣 no but seriously why not, right? I am going to hit them with UV here in the next few weeks to see if it helps me get some frost on them.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Ok. Whichever ones ace tested and says can have it. I just dont think many of the short flowering jack the rippers will have much. With the BLT’s the longer flowering phenos leaning more sativa are the trippy ones usually and the shorter ones more stoney.
The biggest one Ace says has it is actually Ethiopian. They have found 2%.

I bet that plus a good Durban that has some (or a Hawaiian like Kauai Electric) that you took to F2 would be a good shout. Take it to F2 to get all the potential genetic variations between the parents (basically allow double recessive expressions from heterosis).

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That would be very welcome. I have an interest in testing two of my strains from Ace so if you post how you do it that would help my confidence a lot.

I also recently realized I could use this testing on my potential dads and select the one that shows the highest THC potential at the expense of all else just to drive @MIMedGrower crazy 🤣 🤣 🤣 no but seriously why not, right? I am going to hit them with UV here in the next few weeks to see if it helps me get some frost on them.

dont misunderstand. I had BLT tested at 23% Thc a few years ago. And i grow better flowers now. I just think focusing on that and shorter flowering caused the genetics to lose something.

Latest posts

Top Bottom