High THCV strains and breeding them

• Thread starter TripsRabbit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Could the #2 tent be used for pollen/seed production? You could have several strains, each treated with STS, then collect the fem pollen from each plant individually. As long as the tent is fairly well sealed with reasonable filtration, you should avoid spillover, and get a serious leg-up on seed production.

For you, yes. But I'd rather not if possible. I have been slacking on my mushroom growing and need to start back up. I use that tent for mushrooms. Mmmmm, Lion's Mane....

The Mom tent is available. it is also physically separated from my flower tents and behind 2 hepa filters. That would be my preference.

Truth is I don't know how this is going to play out. That mom tent could become a dad tent for the landrace stuff I have here if THC Victory turns out to be a dud.

What do you think? Lets talk thru the possible paths here and make the preps. I'm germinating Tvic this week. So we have ~3 months before our first harvest and probably ~2 months before THCV starts showing up in TLC? I'm guessing, but what I have read is that it forms later in the flower. At that point it is too late to reverse or take clones, so if we get a good cultivar, I need to already have a clone...

I don't think I can stay within my plant count if I have every tent full and clones. I may need some help here if someone has space in their grow.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
For you, yes. But I'd rather not if possible. I have been slacking on my mushroom growing and need to start back up. I use that tent for mushrooms. Mmmmm, Lion's Mane....

The Mom tent is available. it is also physically separated from my flower tents and behind 2 hepa filters. That would be my preference.

Truth is I don't know how this is going to play out. That mom tent could become a dad tent for the landrace stuff I have here if THC Victory turns out to be a dud.

What do you think? Lets talk thru the possible paths here and make the preps. I'm germinating Tvic this week. So we have ~3 months before our first harvest and probably ~2 months before THCV starts showing up in TLC? I'm guessing, but what I have read is that it forms later in the flower. At that point it is too late to reverse or take clones, so if we get a good cultivar, I need to already have a clone...

I don't think I can stay within my plant count if I have every tent full and clones. I may need some help here if someone has space in their grow.
I think you can likely reveg a cut in flower. It will take weeks to go through that process and be ready to begin a flower cycle again but if all you want is to preserve the genetics then ya know. I was.talkimg about this with dirtbag, aqua etc a month or so back.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I think you can likely reveg a cut in flower. It will take weeks to go through that process and be ready to begin a flower cycle again but if all you want is to preserve the genetics then ya know. I was.talkimg about this with dirtbag, aqua etc a month or so back.

Very good to know, thanks. I had read don't do it, IIRC it was hormonal issues make it a bad practice. But I get what you are saying, the genetics of the plant don't change because they are in flower.

How is the clone from a mom in flower different than one in Veg?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Very good to know, thanks. I had read don't do it, IIRC it was hormonal issues make it a bad practice. But I get what you are saying, the genetics of the plant don't change because they are in flower.

It will go through the reveg process rather than just waiting on flowering....so go down to single fingered leaves (new growth) before going back up i believe. This will take a while, which is why they say don't do it....but my point is you still have the genetics.

I am not firm on this. It is just my understanding.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

i have successfully cloned up to week 11 with simple cut in a glass of water. Took about 2 weeks to show root bumps. Planted little cut in ocean forest and it started to re grow in 3 more weeks. Then full veg still needed. I did it with a 9.5 week cut too. Both clones ran healthy for a couple years in my system. I have it all documented somewhere. The little cuts of finished buds with a couple leaves look cute while they struggle through reveg.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

It will go through the reveg process rather than just waiting on flowering....so go down to single fingered leaves (new growth) before going back up i believe. This will take a while, which is why they say don't do it....but my point is you still have the genetics.

I am not firm on this. It is just my understanding.

Well now I'm friggin trying it. Let me get my cloning system up and I'll cut the White Widow tent just in case. If there is a problem, who cares. But if it works, we'll prove it and document the process for others.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

i have successfully cloned up to week 11 with simple cut in a glass of water. Took about 2 weeks to show root bumps. Planted little cut in ocean forest and it started to re grow in 3 more weeks. Then full veg still needed. I did it with a 9.5 week cut too. Both clones ran healthy for a couple years in my system. I have it all documented somewhere. The little cuts of finished buds with a couple leaves look cute while they struggle through reveg.

We posted at the same time. If you have this documented I would love to see it. Pretty cool, I'm gonna do it just for the experience.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

We posted at the same time. If you have this documented I would love to see it. Pretty cool, I'm gonna do it just for the experience.

lol. Its in the e middle of my stupidly long perpetual thread. I will try to find the pics for you. It wasnt more complicated than cutting 3” side branched buds with a few leaves and putting them in a glass of tap water and topping it up and changing it out every week. And when planted i simply watered it in a 18oz plastic cup and left it on the side of the tent down low under some shadows of leaves for weeks.

I have to garden some now but will search for the pics after.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

lol. Its in the e middle of my stupidly long perpetual thread. I will try to find the pics for you. It wasnt more complicated than cutting 3” side branched buds with a few leaves and putting them in a glass of tap water and topping it up and changing it out every week. And when planted i simply watered it in a 18oz plastic cup and left it on the side of the tent down low under some shadows of leaves for weeks.

I have to garden some now but will search for the pics after.
OK I'll check your thread out later tonight.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Here are some pics. Took 3 months to get to final pic in one gallon pot on bathroom counter. Could go faster but i kept her very shy of light cause i didnt know what would happen. I believed it to be a more fragile clone like you read. But they arent. They are normal but slow to reveg.

bunch of pics on the way!

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Yep, pretty sure I did as well. There's also the option of revegging to save genetics, or to let seeds develop on lower branches after harvesting top buds.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

some pics and discussion here...

sorry having internet issues out here in the forest.

some pics

14897F8A DCFA 4C86 BDD8 E9CE375F7A3C
0001DEF2 73EF 4F75 8CB8 664B3BC756B9
28E2FB3A 151E 46CC A304 565DCC25BB51
7E683DAF 7E94 4EF1 838C DB52C92A862B

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Some more pics...

Figures internet crawling for this.

36DA127C A04E 4AC3 85C9 6ECAB1ADC166

i cant get anything loaded. The cut was taken May 10th 2019 to locate in my thread. Hope i got enough posted for ya @Moe.Red

Skeptik

Skeptik

Well now I'm friggin trying it. Let me get my cloning system up and I'll cut the White Widow tent just in case. If there is a problem, who cares. But if it works, we'll prove it and document the process for others.

It takes patience, but if enough foliage is left, a harvested plant will reveg. I've also taken cuttings late in flower and successfully rooted and reveg'd concurrently. I actually do this fairly commonly because I have a much better idea if the genetics are worth preserving at a late stage. The reveg'ing takes a while -- like a month or more -- and there's a lot of weird growth, but it works, and no, there is no effect on genetics.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

It takes patience, but if enough foliage is left, a harvested plant will reveg. I've also taken cuttings late in flower and successfully rooted and reveg'd concurrently. I actually do this fairly commonly because I have a much better idea if the genetics are worth preserving at a late stage. The reveg'ing takes a while -- like a month or more -- and there's a lot of weird growth, but it works, and no, there is no effect on genetics.

It seemed the only way to keep cuts and stay in plant count.

i found reveg clones grow much better and more natural than revegged whole plants. They become a stringy mess often.

Skeptik

Skeptik

<snip>
Truth is I don't know how this is going to play out.

I think -- at least for me -- we're racing to an undefined finish line. Since we don't really have any short and long term goals as a group, I'm pretty sure we have disparate endpoints.

For me, it's just about THCV. If, through this effort, I end up with a jar of fem seeds of plants that are >3% THCV, and low in THC, I'll be home. From there, I can simply dose with the V strain, and supplement with other strains depending on circumstances; e.g. maybe wake up to a does of the V, followed by some Harlequin or ACDC to get me going and soothe the arthritis, then in the evening, some V (of course), topped by some aged Gold Leaf, or other higher THC plus CBD.

Does this sound like what everyone else is thinking, or, for those of you whose interest is piqued re: THCV, but aren't using it yet, perhaps there are other goals.

All that said, I believe we should be focusing on the strains that are specifically advertised to be high in the V rather than mixing in strains that are *probably* higher than average -- e.g. Ethiopian, Balkhi, etc. -- so, T-Vic and the Mad Villain. I know Red is working out the logistics for the T-Vic, and since I have some of the Mad Villain, I'll try to find a spot for a couple of trial plants. The MVs are F1 hybrids between a high THCV strain and some CBG-hemp strain. They actually could be what I want, though, because they're advertised in the 7% THCV range with no THC.

My meager effort to organize my thoughts. Statements of alternate realities encouraged.

Last edited:
Kanzeon

Kanzeon

I'm just an interested bystander in y'alls project, but I do think it would be cool down the line to have a strain high in THC, CBD, THCV, and CBG. Something like (THCV x CBD) x (Pure CBG x THC) would be a super unique smoke.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

I want to find two different high THCV strains and breed them together and make a strain even higher in THCV. I then want to name said strain and market it and sell it to seedbanks. That's my goal here, help people get well and get rich in the process.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

If I find a good cut that I think is high in V I will send to a lab or to moe and then I will trade with other here with high V cuts.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hey farmers, I have a lot to catch up on in the thread, I'll try to get to that shortly. In the meantime, I present without comment, although I'm a bit miffed

Screen Shot 2021 02 25 at 74841 AM

Screen Shot 2021 02 25 at 74937 AM

Top Bottom