Hoarding "Hard Work"?

• Thread starter Green Mopho
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Green Mopho

Green Mopho

FYI, I'm of the opinion that even if someone "lucked" into finding an elite strain because one of their plants hermied or whatever, if they have a product that people want they should be able to charge the market price for said product.

At the end of the day, this is a business and economics will win out.

And where is the line drawn? Should people also give away weed, because keeping it for themselves is "hoarding"? Seeds, etc.? People need to be compensated for their time and money (again, IMO).

I respect your perspective, although it is a capitalist one. I do believe an honest days work deserves an honest days pay and in a capitalist society one should be rightfully compensated for the time and labor put in. However, as you can observe in this recession, this often isn't even true for the most legit of industries. Giving away weed is out of the question, after all that is the final product we are all going for. Any person who bred a cut or seeds has obvious rights to it, this isn't the issue. A farmer may give you some of his own bred seed for free (genetics), but he's not giving you bushels of corn for free (product).

Dude, GM, you just got to CO. the scene hasn't really gotten outta hand until recently:evilgrin0040:. There are a lot of people around that think they just deserve something. because. or "clone makers" fear the greed based collectors who give out shit like it was candy from a van.
Hard work is protected by some and released by others. It's the luck of the draw i suppose. If you have ever run in any other "plant-centric" circles you'd know how it is. If you want to sell , say pennisetium(sp) fireworks you have to get a contract for it from the breeder. the contract states that you will not divide of propagate that plant for any tother purpose than specified. it is kinda standard practice.
I am sorry if I'm coming off harsh, but I know where this is coming from. And I don't care for the bread and butter argument either.

In regards to both Paco's post and Bobby Smith, I agree, other capitalist plant-based industries work under the principle of "intellectual property", i.e. people owning the rights to and licensing plants and their genetics. This already exists with corn and soy and wheat and etc...But is this the model we want for cannabis?

Monsanto owns the patents to 90% of our grains and other food crops, along with a handful of other companies. Government regulation and corporate control dominate agribusiness and cannabis is well on its way down this same road, fueled by the capitalist hoarding (mine, mine) attitude. If we all stay on a pattern of saying "this plant is mine and I own the genetics", it won't be long before a large corporation buys the rights to (or sues you to hell for) all our precious plants and we are just playing their game. If you don't believe this then you need to wake up and smell the glyphosate.

There was a day and age in agriculture where plant genetics could not be owned and were in the public domain for all to select and breed from. This goes along with the attitude that you can't really own a plant and you can't really patent life. I suppose I am wrong about this and I need to wipe the hippie part of my brain for me to thrive in this dawning cut-throat agri-pharma industry.

Greed is greed, generosity is inspiring, uplifting, and fulfilling

Excellent quote, +1 Rep...

With 1284s "vertical integration", it kinda makes it different for MMCs vs. caregivers. Now that MMCs have to supply all their own weed a lot of them are hoarding. We are just setting up a grow, so our policies aren't set, but we don't usually sell clones in the shop anyways and I hear you now need a opcl for the shop to legally sell clones, which we do not have.

There are some genetics that we do not intend to freely distribute, but others are common and I don't see a problem sharing those. The issue with sharing rare genetics is that every MMC wants to have some unique strains, which does make sense. If plants are given out to caregivers there is no stopping the cut from spreading, and I'd expect that it would despite attempts to sell a plant conditionally.

OTOH, there are limitless "elites" and a single MMC can't grow them all so the "damage" done by a cut getting out and being all butt-hurt over it is an overreaction IMO.

There is also a difference between sharing among friends and selling a tray of 50 clones to whoever walks through the door of your MMC. I'm more comfortable with the former even though selling through our shop isn't even a possibility for us.

I agree, MMCs are locking down their genetics. There are a few MMCs that seem to move product no matter what the genetics, as long as its grown well, yet there are others still riding their entire business on one clone. I understand the business aspect of protecting your genetics, but anyone, grower or MMC owner, who claims to have a passion for cannabis and is in this industry as a way of life should have the sense that the world is bigger than their one clone. It is just one clone is a sea of hundreds. This is especially true if prior to 1284 this cut had already been handed out and is already out creeping around the state. Said MMC owner can't get a big head over the cut being out at that point...they should of seen it coming and should of already had the next trick up their sleeve, so to speak. And name calling and accusations are just a childish way to go about it and just a sign that they are desperately holding on to a sinking ship, because they have nothing else.

It seems I've had to reassess my own thinking and go into "hoard" mode...

good post GM

I've been thinking about this lately. I've done some pollen chucking for sure, but I'm ready to get a bit more into it.

out of curiosity, how long does it take to come up with an IBL?

is there an average number of generations of selection usually until the seeds rear just one pheno?

and, is that the criteria or do we still expect different phenos? If that's the case.... we usually expect that when we buy seeds from reputable dealers, no?

Good breeding isn't just about IBLs, repeated back crossing, or X amount of generations. It is about growing a large stock and selectively breeding within that stock for the best plants representing desired traits along with health and vigor. It is something that 99.9% of us just do not have the plant count for (or big enough balls for).

To directly address your questions, I would say it takes a minimum of 5 generations of combined selective inbreeding and backcrossing to establish a homogenous line. You will still have some variation in health and vigor in that line, as inbreeding can often reinforce unwanted traits (i.e. prone to disease and/or intersexing). It is the breeders' priority to make sure none of the unwanted traits are in the released line.

Ideally it takes a few years for a true inbred line...of all my reading on breeding, some of the most insightful that I've done has been from DJ Short. That man has put in some real work....Shantibaba ain't too shabby either...

Fuck the clones and the talk of "hoarding' in that arena.
The true "hoarding" in Colorado arrived via the change in the law that strips A-20 rights to sell patient-to-patient from all patients :rain and lays the profits solidly in the hands of a few.:evilgrin0040:

See above...

I dunno man Im kinda missing the point, maybe because Im not in colorado, but this really sounds a little like whining because someone wouldnt give you a cut or something. Its really up to the guy holding the cut whether he wants to dole it out or not, its not setting the movement back it is what it is. Popping beans takes time and money, but like you said if they are pollen chuckers and there are millions of strains out there what sweat off your back is it

I think my original post was read out of context by most of those not in the local scene. I am not bitter about anything, I'm actually a pretty friendly and generous guy. I pretty much have all the elite cuts I could ever ask for, and some that I didn't ask for. I have been blessed with some good friends and a good crew of knowledgeable growers alike. I have kept to myself and not dealt with MMCs and such. I suppose I had some cuts that I probably shouldn't of, but they were handed to me under good terms. I asked for clearance from the originators each step of the way, and have yet to give said cuts out to a single soul. Yet my name was still spoken out of peoples' mouthes, and certain threats and vengeful exchanges occurred when I never had dealings with any of those people.

I have let certain genetics of my own out on the scene, and I don't care who has them. I held no restrictions on those cuts. I have seen this cut appear in many places without my involvement, and I'm happy to see it spread. I am not asking for anything in return, neither credit nor compensation. I'm not bitter when I see an MMC selling a batch of it. My thinking was based on Mr. Dank's Golden Goat...he let that cut fly, and I believe you gotta let a good one out once in a while. I don't see Mr. Dank chasing down every MMC that had dried flowers of his cuts, or even clones for that matter. Granted, there are a lot of fakes going around. Yet, had he not let a cut like that fly, would his gear have the name-recognition and demand that it does now? Would batches of Golden Goat sell out in 4 hours at One Brown Mouse? I don't think so...Of course this is my own opinion and each person with their own cut is entitled to theirs...

I'm all about passing the shit around. :damnhippie: Granted i have said no a few times... (it was poor timing or some trust issues) but if your in our circle of friends we end up just trade shit back and forth and if we come across something great we make sure to get it to as many as we can.. There has even been a few of us that have never met but through a friend of a friend we sort of know of each other but still trade.. Strange how some of these relationships work. :passingjoint:

I'm not talking about the forums. Granted most of us know each other..

its all friends of friends that go back a very long time some even before anyone was using the net to talk about weed.:fighting0085:

we do find new friends from time to time.:afroweed: but i guess that is because of our friendliness or something.

If i would cross anything me being a closet hack lol i would make sure to name it correctly.. unless it was an unknown bag seed then i'm calling "This shit right here" CronAKillerShit :whew ... . lol.

I couldn't imagine living off one F1 or trying to... Sort of like going to Mexico on vacation and saying you traveled the world. You are missing out.

Pass that shit

Goddamn hippies!

...speaking of which, how is that ECSD doing? Aren't ya glad that cut wasn't being hoarded?

The "clones onlys" that are hot right now, will be replaced by an entire diff crowd by the beginning of 2011. Some will stick around, but lots will be tossed aside. You never know what you will find in a seed. Theres plenty to be found. Get those seeds poppin folks. I dont know what yall are waiting for. Each day brings that seed one day closer to expiration. Grow em if you got em.

(I dont know how this rant relates to the discussion, just felt the need to ramble. I get sick of all the clone only shit. Theres Millions apon millions of variables out there. Start growing your seed so we can find the next hot shit for the ppl to rave over)

TK

Agreed, part of the point I'm trying to make. If you feel you are really dedicated to this plant and this industry, you should be cracking beans on the regular, you should be networking to be taking in and receiving cuts, you shouldn't base everything on your one comic book hero cut that isn't even that special....Just cuz your strain is called Clark Kent, that doesn't make you Superman.

And like I said, the true test will be the test of time. Will that cut still be passed around in 10 years, or is it something that can easily be replaced.

If you receive a clone under "certain restrictions" it is your obligation to abide by said "restrictions"!! at that point you had the choice not to take it and simply walk away.....
I am a man of my word...and dishing out cuts of clone that were asked not to be given out is simply going against ones word.
Do i agree with keeping a strain on lock down? dont care, but i will keep my word if i took one under a condition.
simply a matter of morals with me.

100%. Like I said, some may have read my original post out of context as bitching about not getting a certain hoarded cut. I am very easy to respect peoples "bread and butter", especially when it is good people, caregivers and MMC growers alike. I have always honored restrictions on cuts when passed to me and have no qualms about doing so, that is simple respect. Some people actually did put some hard work in on finding their special cuts, and if you are so lucky to be blessed with such a thing, you better damn respect it!

Tripsick

Tripsick

I am loving that cut and i hope i can return the favor one day.

B

BoCo Buds

You just can't get around the business logic of it... a truly unique cut, that only you have, is a strong competitive advantage... it's u'r edge to a locked market share. As such, it should force the mmc's to not only lock down their cuts, but to start popping by the hundreds... only smart thing to do... only real option at all. Just a business decision. And likely, once the next generation of cuts come up from the latest round of beans, the previously locked down cuts will get sold out to patients. Except the super special ones.

Problem becomes locking down those cuts... which won't be easy. Mums are housed in the wh where there is usually several w access... all of which can take a cut. Almost going to force a vault just for the mums.

Finding people w integrity & honesty & respect...??? Almost any cut will get out at some point.

H

HannaMan

If you receive a clone under "certain restrictions" it is your obligation to abide by said "restrictions"!! at that point you had the choice not to take it and simply walk away.....
I am a man of my word...and dishing out cuts of clone that were asked not to be given out is simply going against ones word.
Do i agree with keeping a strain on lock down? dont care, but i will keep my word if i took one under a condition.

Amen.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter

word!

CBF

CBF

Supporter
if ya have a bad ass plant, and your not gonna pass it around, dont come online and rub it in my face.

just keep the damn thing to yourself, if your not gonna give it out, why show and tell, and talk about how only a few guys have it, how cherished it is.

bunch of wannabe pot stars

CBF

T

Tr33hunter

Problem with the dispensaries is 9 time out of 10 they are ran by people who have no idea what it means to run a business. I can see why delta 9 needs to hoard stuff. That guy tells so many lies I really doubt he even knows what the truth is anymore.

Banner is a boring smoke anyway. I've had it from there and 3 other places and no way in hell would I put that I'm my room.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
After having 35+ closley held cuts jacked from me and two despesaries start up with them as their marque strains, a few still distributed statewide I have a way different perspective on all this. Some represented years of work and money.

I will hoard, keep, destroy, give away, give to one person or no one whatever I want and I don't feel bad about it any way...

Wanna find an elite get ya 5+ packs of each seed at $120-$200 bucks a peice, grow them out 50-60 plants of the same strain, make selections, consume space, waste your plant count, spend the money, take additional risk with less potential return....then after all that GIVE IT TO ME because I said so, I don't care that it just cost you $5000 or so just to get there. That is the basic arguement right there..I see alot of people complain about the price of seeds, male famale ratios, low germ rates, poor growers, you name it...hell everyone would like the best of the best without the expense or work required to get it...alot easier to get someone elses passion in a pack than it is to go chase it yourself.

Every 10 pack of seeds has an elite cut in it, just gotta go find it.

This is a commercial industry, always has been, always will be, embrace it and get with the program or get left behind.

Competition is a healthy thing, it pushes everyone to their limits and great things come out of it..

Tex

B

Bobby Smith

^^^^ This is what I tried to say, but he said it MUCH better.

Fully agree.

"Yo, your wife is pretty hot - you mind giving me an hour with her? Don't be a hoarder...."

M

mendel

After having 35+ closley held cuts jacked from me and two despesaries start up with them as their marque strains, a few still distributed statewide I have a way different perspective on all this. Some represented years of work and money.

I will hoard, keep, destroy, give away, give to one person or no one whatever I want and I don't feel bad about it any way...

Wanna find an elite get ya 5+ packs of each seed at $120-$200 bucks a peice, grow them out 50-60 plants of the same strain, make selections, consume space, waste your plant count, spend the money, take additional risk with less potential return....then after all that GIVE IT TO ME because I said so, I don't care that it just cost you $5000 or so just to get there. That is the basic arguement right there..I see alot of people complain about the price of seeds, male famale ratios, low germ rates, poor growers, you name it...hell everyone would like the best of the best without the expense or work required to get it...alot easier to get someone elses passion in a pack than it is to go chase it yourself.

Every 10 pack of seeds has an elite cut in it, just gotta go find it.

This is a commercial industry, always has been, always will be, embrace it and get with the program or get left behind.

Competition is a healthy thing, it pushes everyone to their limits and great things come out of it..

Tex

great post TK, couldnt have said it better........ive had things stolen by dispensary owners as well, luckily I did some psy-ops and ended the whole situation.

On a sidenote (not directed at anyone in particular), if you find a bean in an og kush bud and grow it out, its not og kush, its an og hybrid. There are asshats around that pick seed out of bud then grow it out and call it whatever the bud was.

Ive also had a fly-by-nite dispensary 'manager' refuse to pay the going rate for meds, and then in the same breath ask for cuts of said strains so he/they can grow it out themselves. Needless to say, that didnt fly.

All that being said, there are only a few I would share cuts with. I have stuff here now that others have hounded me for, they can shit in one hand and wish in the other..........ive had my fill of fair weather friends, they are a dime a dozen. Excuse me while I pull this knife out of my back..........

In hermit-dom,

mendel

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
There are people, maybe 10, that can have anything and everything in my garden and I will bring all my resources to bare in helping them get what they dream of, but to most, I am a real dick about it..

Tex

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
i liked the post Texas kid and agree. some people get into this to help people, some people get into this for money. If i know someone, like really know someone I don't mind helping them out. but if i just met you don't expect me to go outa my way for you. Its like if you see someone walking down the street you don't just stop and pick them up. But if it was someone you knew you would stop in a second and drive them to wherever they got to go. If we go out to dinner together, meet up at the bar share a few beers whatever, if your my friend whats mine is yours as far as cuts go.

what im trying to say is instead of asking for favors, why not try and get to know someone first, Invite them to your next BBQ or whatever. Show them your good people and im sure they wont mind sharing.

sky high

sky high

I hear ya mendel. When >I< was lookin for a couple of cuts to fill some vacancies in my old bucket system I called folks I THOUGHT would help. Unfortunately, they had all stepped on the greed train that rolled out of the station last Summer...and after a lot of stalling, I simply went out and bought a few ("shitty) cuts from the local dispensary rather than having empty buckets.

then I lucked into this BB cut I'm running that I really like..and that everyone else seems to like also. Once a few buds were passed out, the same 'friends' who didn't have the time for me when >I< was lookin' started callin and askin about this cut....and would I share?

Funny thing, when I said "NO", they got all pissy! Imagine that!

to me it has nothing to do with "hoarding' and EVERYTHING to do with RESPECT.

Sshfan

Sshfan

I have been motivated recently to find a good male to hit my favorites with for backup and a good sativa for myself. I am growing a couple thaihazexskunk#1. Hoping for some lemon pepper or tropical fruit in this line. If not, I have a bunch of ssh to sort through and want to hit the ssh with a thunk male. :rofl
I think Sams Haze crossed with shanti haze c in SSH would make some interesting plants.

I've been lucky to have been given a couple of great strains from some generous people. I share with friends for free but I only know 2 other people that grow and like it that way honestly.

M

mendel

I hear ya mendel. When >I< was lookin for a couple of cuts to fill some vacancies in my old bucket system I called folks I THOUGHT would help. Unfortunately, they had all stepped on the greed train that rolled out of the station last Summer...and after a lot of stalling, I simply went out and bought a few ("shitty) cuts from the local dispensary rather than having empty buckets.

then I lucked into this BB cut I'm running that I really like..and that everyone else seems to like also. Once a few buds were passed out, the same 'friends' who didn't have the time for me when >I< was lookin' started callin and askin about this cut....and would I share?

Funny thing, when I said "NO", they got all pissy! Imagine that!

to me it has nothing to do with "hoarding' and EVERYTHING to do with RESPECT.

Ive gotten to the point where its just not worth it to me to stick my ass out there anymore. Ive taken some royal fuckings from 'friends' the past few yrs, most of it greed related as youve described. Ive walked away from more than a few one sided relationships in the recent past.

Its been quite a learning experiance for me. Ive come to the conclusion that most (not all) of the people in the med mj industry are amateurish cheats and liars of the worse ilk. Stealing and lies are the norm, after all 'its just business.' :character0029:

Back to caring for my patients and doing breeding projects for me, ive earned my bisquits the last 5 or so yrs, now im gonna enjoy them and put the dodgy 'dispensary model' and its minions behind me. Ripping off patients and growers out of lust for $$ is nothing to be proud of. There are more honest ways to make a living, then off the backs of others work.

Respect what respect? There is none amongst thieves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom