Hoop house is up

• Thread starter bevin
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bevin

bevin

The hoop house is up. 16'x10' gonna be running 18. Dug 12 holes today have 6 more to go then soil and plants. Holes are as big as a 5gal bucket. my plants are going in from 3 gal pots. Will post pics as soon as its all togather. Gonna be a great summer here in CO Springs!!!

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Nice....Im doin my cold frame today and gettin the little ones out and ready for the full on full on...

I would dig your holes out more to like 15 or 20 gallon if your goin full season till October, more wide than deep

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

Nice....Im doin my cold frame today and gettin the little ones out and ready for the full on full on...

I would dig your holes out more to like 15 or 20 gallon if your goin full season till October, more wide than deep

hey Texas, that's bugging me for a while... why wider rather than deeper? GL with your lil ones btw.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
When you pull up the rootmass, you don't really see any roots below the 16"-18" depth and it fills the volume in between so it ends up with more roots if you have a hole that is 16" deep and 32"-36" wide than a hole 24"-26" deep and 18"-24" wide...

For the mosters, 18" tall and 5'ft. round, its about 30-35 cu.ft.(200+ gallons) of soil per plant

bevin

bevin

I dont have the room for holes that big with 18 plants in my hoop. I dug them more wide than deep though. Will be using Alaskan humus along with happy frog to back fill my holes, then let them do there thing from there. I was thinking about also using some of the original soil from the holes just to mix it up a bit and get them acclamation. my holes are 20 wide and about 24 deep. I can back-fill a bit and widen them about 3 inches if you think that would be good. I'm going from 3 and 2gal pots straight into the ground

bevin

bevin

I will take pics tomorrow finally got all the holes dug today and finished getting the plastic stuck down.

Blaze

Blaze

Looking good dude! I like how you did the end walls on the hoop house, it is a clever design.

bevin

bevin

Yeah i like it to. This winter I'm going to redo the end walls, frame them up a little better. Everything except for the plastic is re-purposed. the back wall with the fan has a small port door for the fan that I can open and close. If if gets nice out today I'll probably plant out. I put a couple males outside just to see how they would do with it still being a little cold at night.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I dont have the room for holes that big with 18 plants in my hoop. I dug them more wide than deep though. Will be using Alaskan humus along with happy frog to back fill my holes, then let them do there thing from there. I was thinking about also using some of the original soil from the holes just to mix it up a bit and get them acclamation. my holes are 20 wide and about 24 deep. I can back-fill a bit and widen them about 3 inches if you think that would be good. I'm going from 3 and 2gal pots straight into the ground
I would mix in a bit of native earth to prevent the roots from circling once they find their way to the edges of the hole. Seen it a lot in other plants where I've just used potting soil.

Do you have a tiller by any chance? You could till the whole top of the soil, mix in all those amendments, etc, and the roots will find their way. Then you won't be limited by what they find in their individual planting holes. And that earth looks friable and rich to me.

bevin

bevin

I dont have a tiller mine is broke down so I've had to do all soil turning by hand all winter, like i said my hoop is 16'x10' but I also have a veg garden that we are starting this week that is 18'x13'. So i've turned alot of soil. I will mix some of the native earth in with my mix I think thats a great idea. And the earth is very nice, i ran into clay about 24" down maybe a little deeper. but once i dig it all in I think things will turn out great.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My back is aching reading that. How's yours holding up?

bevin

bevin

If Im correct there are 8 different strains here. I will have a few doubles going in. these ladys have been in veg for a couple months.

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

When you pull up the rootmass, you don't really see any roots below the 16"-18" depth and it fills the volume in between so it ends up with more roots if you have a hole that is 16" deep and 32"-36" wide than a hole 24"-26" deep and 18"-24" wide...

For the mosters, 18" tall and 5'ft. round, its about 30-35 cu.ft.(200+ gallons) of soil per plant

Sorry for the highjack here Bevin... Texas, so you're saying that by planting in deeper than 18" I'm sequentially wasting soil? I know its the best approach, being results oriented, But why don't the roots spread deeper than that? I've witnessed what you're saying from personal experience but I thought that bad/unideal root development is the main cause.

Top Bottom