House & Garden Nutes., Under Current Systems, 30,000 Watts, 10 Tons of A/C, Co2

• Thread starter Ben Derdundat
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Thank you for the confirmation Ben! Yeah I researched a lot on the specs and systems to make sure they were compatible... That chiller is about $100 more than comparable brands, but is apparently the most quiet. Before I can do anything in my small setup, I'll need to find an electrician to add a sub panel... Gotta get a window ac to keep things cool and take some load off of the chiller... :thinking

S

Socachi

Hi Ben I just got back onto THC and found your thread on another UC system thread. Yes I'm sure you know who. Will be getting back into growin soon and I'll be goin UC so your detail is extremely helpful.
Look forward to seeing the end results of the overhead lighting vs vert. What are you expecting per plant or would you rather not speculate on a new setup?
Not sure if I'll go vert or horizontal.
Thanks... Socachi

Ben Derdundat

Ben Derdundat

Update:

Things are looking great! The bud structure is consistent throughout the plant and the trichomes are coming on thick.... Needless to say I am very happy with the development at this point. bd :banana::flower:flower:rastadancing:

Day 30

VegFlwr Rooms 349

VegFlwr Rooms 351

VegFlwr Rooms 353

VegFlwr Rooms 352

VegFlwr Rooms 354

VegFlwr Rooms 356

Day 31

VegFlwr Rooms 365

VegFlwr Rooms 366

VegFlwr Rooms 367

VegFlwr Rooms 368

Day 32

VegFlwr Rooms 369

VegFlwr Rooms 370

VegFlwr Rooms 371

VegFlwr Rooms 372

VegFlwr Rooms 373

VegFlwr Rooms 375

Day 33

VegFlwr Rooms 381

VegFlwr Rooms 382

VegFlwr Rooms 383

VegFlwr Rooms 384

VegFlwr Rooms 385

Day 34

VegFlwr Rooms 391

VegFlwr Rooms 392

VegFlwr Rooms 393

VegFlwr Rooms 394

Day 35

VegFlwr Rooms 409

VegFlwr Rooms 413

VegFlwr Rooms 397

VegFlwr Rooms 400

VegFlwr Rooms 402

VegFlwr Rooms 411

Ben Derdundat

Ben Derdundat

Thank you for the confirmation Ben!

No problem Shady. ;)

Hi Ben I just got back onto THC and found your thread on another UC system thread. Yes I'm sure you know who. Will be getting back into growin soon and I'll be goin UC so your detail is extremely helpful.
Look forward to seeing the end results of the overhead lighting vs vert. What are you expecting per plant or would you rather not speculate on a new setup?
Not sure if I'll go vert or horizontal.
Thanks... Socachi

No problem... Don't mention it.

I feel its a little to early to be speculating at this point... bd:character0050:

B

biggs

wow!!!! that is one serious room. mate you are going to need a team of trimmers when harvest comes around, either that or a twister. can't wait to see some harvest shots.

edit: alright ben, just had a quick look through and can't see what strain your running?

also i saw you say you add your a+b then adjust your ph then add the rest and then re-adjust. i just put ever thing in and adjust after if needed, it normally goes to around 5.7 so i don't need to. am i doing it wrong?

i love h&g nutes, without a doubt the best around.

HG23

HG23

Biggs,

Try a slower look through the thread. He is growing OG Kush, has for 11 years. You're also mistaken about the nutes. He mixes part A lets settle, mixes part B lets settle then adjusts ph, then adds the additives. I believe thats what the directions for H&G say, but you should know that already because you've proven they're the best around. J/k

B

biggs

Biggs,

Try a slower look through the thread. He is growing OG Kush, has for 11 years. You're also mistaken about the nutes. He mixes part A lets settle, mixes part B lets settle then adjusts ph, then adds the additives. I believe thats what the directions for H&G say, but you should know that already because you've proven they're the best around. J/k

yea thanks for your input.

Papa

Papa

Supporter
ben, can you tell us about your lighting choices? why'd you go with hoods rather than vertical lamps? it appears to be working great for your strain. what are the dimensions of those ladies?

Papa

E

ECO

Curious about your lighting choices aswell, you're running vented hoods are you runnng fresh air through them and back outside? Seems like the UC system when dialed in is the way to go. You said you'd been growing OG for 11 years, which cut is that, SFV?

Ben Derdundat

Ben Derdundat

edit: alright ben, just had a quick look through and can't see what strain your running?

also i saw you say you add your a+b then adjust your ph then add the rest and then re-adjust. i just put ever thing in and adjust after if needed, it normally goes to around 5.7 so i don't need to. am i doing it wrong?

i love h&g nutes, without a doubt the best around.

The strains I am growing in this thread are... Pre '98 O.G. Kush & Skywalker O.G. Kush. I have grown the O.G. for 11 years consecutively.

I only add pH adjusters after adding Both A&B nutrients if needed. Typically the pH stabilizes at 5.8 after the solution has settled for a while but, this will be different for most people considering that not everyone's water is the same pH.

To answer your question if you are "doing it wrong", I would have to say yes, if you are trying to use House & Garden the way the manufacturer intended it to be mixed and adjusted. bd:big_boss:

Biggs,

Thanks for the help HG23. :yes

ben, can you tell us about your lighting choices? why'd you go with hoods rather than vertical lamps? it appears to be working great for your strain. what are the dimensions of those ladies?

Papa

Sure...
The reflectors I have up are, the Hydro Farm Radiant 8's with hinged glass. I chose these reflectors because of the even deep light penetration and pattern that they provide. The bulbs that I am currently using are the Agrosun Red Sodium's. I have been using these bulbs for a while now and have done side by side comparisons with the Hortilux Super HPS bulbs and the Agrosun Red's seem to help bring on flower sites sooner and stronger. I do veg. with the Hortilux Dual Arc though.

The reason I went with a horizontal layout rather than a vertical layout is because I had the horizontal layout already in place and I have a friend that runs an Under Current system under horizontal lighting and pulls 2 pounds a light consistently. I am currently designing a room I will be building in the near future that will utilize a vertical lighting layout. I'm planing on using a combination of 1k watt and the new 2k watt bulbs only available from Lumatek this coming fall. I saw them when I went to the Hydroponic expo this year.... I have to have them... :sun2:

As for the dimensions of my plants, they are give or take about 4' in height and about a 3' in diameter. bd

Curious about your lighting choices aswell, you're running vented hoods are you runnng fresh air through them and back outside? Seems like the UC system when dialed in is the way to go. You said you'd been growing OG for 11 years, which cut is that, SFV?

Yes, the air that is moved through my reflectors is pulled from a cool source (65 degrees or less) and exhausted outside.

Strains are pre '98 O.G. & Skywalker O.G. :joint:

M

mrdizzle

hey Ben the room looks silly good bro

I think that lil tip burn is calcium deficiency caused by high levels of PK and rapid growth, it happens a lot of rdwc.

Ive been finding if I dont add cal-mg at the same time I start adding bloom boosters Ill get the burn even at low PPms

B

Bobby Smith

As for the Cool Coils they are thermostatically controlled by the chiller which has a thermostat. I am able to control the temperature of each individual Cool Coil by slightly closing the shutoff valves leading to each Cool Coil and restricting the flow of water through the Cool Coil.

Hey Ben, had a couple of questions about this whole coil setup, if you didn't mind.

1) Do you use pure propylene glycol in your "cooling rez", or is it some mixture of water and PG? Because for a 200 gallon rez @$30/gallon, that's a shitload of PG.

2) I know it's moronic for me to suggest something to you, but you said that you have valves that you open and close to control your "satellite" rez temps - would it not be easier to just hook up one of the controllers below to a pump feeding each "satellite" rez and be able to "set it and forget it"?

http://www.etcsupply.com/

Have been thinking about the cooling coils for a few weeks now, and figured that'd be the easiest way to control the temps in multiple reservoirs..........that said, obviously you're getting along okay with what you're doing :sun

Anyways, keep up the good show my friend :bong2:

EDIT: Another question, if you wouldn't mind:

Is there any kind of general rule of thumb for how much cooler PG would keep a rez than water would? For instance, I have a crawlspace that maxes out (in the dead of summer) at ~68F - figure a 250 gallon reservoir of water would stay at 65F pretty easily - how much cooler would it be with PG?

Or does the PG allow the reservoir to maintain its cool temp for longer periods, and not necessarily allow it to "get cooler" than a comparable rez filled with water?

Sorry for the long-winded questions; they're kinda my trademark :dull

R

RMCG

Depending on if you run your chiller/plumbing outside in northern climates, I am not sure you ~need~ glycol. And you certainly wouldn't want to run it 100% unless you live in a VERY cold climate. Its essentially antifreeze.

Between 10 - 20% is normal.

Something like 40% is if your outdoor temps are regularly ~20 below and your chiller/lines are outside.

It does reduce the heat transfer efficiency slightly over H20, but does help lube the pump.

Here is the heat transfer coefficient of various %'s of PG.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/propylene-glycol-d_363.html

B

budbrothers

thanks guys you just cleared up a bunch of questions i had.
only have one left i think; will 1 hp chill 2 epicenters and my 150 gal top off rez?

Latest posts

Top Bottom