HOW TO WATER COCO FOR BEST RESULTS.

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My plants are on 24/0 light schedule with 4 watering per day evenly spaced 6h apart. Îm gonna switch to 12/12 next weekend should I keep the same watering schedule?
Sorry missed this post

Try to avoid watering within 2 hrs of lights out unless your finding them drying to much overnight. Depending on plant and pot size you may need 1 fertigation over lights out.

mikeross

mikeross

I think so... late flower imo they are not photosynthesizing as much. Definitely early to mid flower is the hut em hard point. Even in veg you don't wanna push en to hard.

Typical folding leaves with tip burn that's not nitrogen and slight curl upwards near the tops .

I ramp up my lights over the first 10 days of flower. Would you suggest it's a good idea to decrease light intensity last few days/weeks of flower? My tops are getting around 1000-1100 PPFD... should I slowly lower this number and if so, how much would you suggest I lower it and over how long of a period on 9-10 week strains?

I know leaf temp and ambient room temps are always different, but on average, how much lower is leaf temp to ambient under DE 1k lights?

Thank you @Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I ramp up my lights over the first 10 days of flower. Would you suggest it's a good idea to decrease light intensity last few days/weeks of flower? My tops are getting around 1000-1100 PPFD... should I slowly lower this number and if so, how much would you suggest I lower it and over how long of a period on 9-10 week strains?

I know leaf temp and ambient room temps are always different, but on average, how much lower is leaf temp to ambient under DE 1k lights?

Thank you @Aqua Man
I'd say about 1-3f cooler would be likely under that lighting.

IMO lowering light intensity at the end is not an issue and lowering plant and air temps also will help preserve terpenes so yeah I feel personally it would be beneficial or at least not negative.

Fudge

Fudge

6 days and only 3 popped. These are the gdp I paid for too. All the freebies have cracked. Attitude seedbank is getting an email.
20211031 153021

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
6 days and only 3 popped. These are the gdp I paid for too. All the freebies have cracked. Attitude seedbank is getting an email. View attachment 1183957
Fucking seedbanks; I'm glad you posted this up. I would try to wring it out some, see if that helps at all. But usually, good pops should happen in a day, two days tops, IMO.

IMG 20200724 165523   Copy 1
IMG 20200724 165752   Copy
3 balls

3 balls

All coco comes from coconuts, but that similarity often doesn't extend to the sacks we are buying. Though we often talk of coco like it's all the same, it's really not. My local horticultural supplier offers a number of grades. The big tomato guys are finding the lighter grades with better drainage the better choice.

Lets look at Canna, who bought it to market. They offer the coco peat to the masses and the cogr for professionals. These are very different. The cogr drains very well but only comes in dry slabs. I got tired of putting it in pots. There coco sacks are a quagmire. They hold more water than their Terra (soil) product. Kept near saturation, with LED's, I had problems that only a dry down could fix. These two coco products wouldn't respond to the same feeding frequencies or mixing ratio's of other products (perlite typically)

Canna know there product. They say 70% of it's available moisture should be taken before watering. They also know of it's high K supply, and so have less in their feed than any other brand I have seen. If we start putting all coco under one roof and saying to keep it as wet as we can, we are going to make mistakes.
I feel like this is a good point and the possible source of some of the debate we get into. I call myself a coco grower when in fact I grow in a coco/perlite/"aged forest materials" blend. For all intents and purposes were talking about the same thing when comparing to soil or hydro but probably not negligible to compare the mixture products to authentic straight coco fibers. Now I'm really curious how many of the regulars on this thread are using what. What are your thoughts @Aqua Man ?

Last edited:
urijah710420

urijah710420

Hey guys been using aqua's method for watering and my run off ec has never been better! Thanks Aqua! Over the last 12 waterings 4 times a day only once has my ec been over inflow (only by .1 ec or 50 ppm). I have noticed a couple of my plants(day 19 from seed) start to get real wavy leaves. I can push the leaf center in or out on a couple leaves as well. I'm assuming this is a vpd issue but wanted to make sure before i do any changes. PH 5.8 EC 1.0 My Tent temp right now: 77. Humidity:58. Leaf temp:77. Thanks dudes
Day 19
Day 19 1
Day 19 2

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I feel like this is a good point and the possible source of some of the debate we get into. I call myself a coco grower when in fact I grow in a coco/perlite/"aged forest materials" blend. For all intents and purposes were talking about the same thing when comparing to soil or hydro but probably not negligible to compare the mixture products to authentic straight coco fibers. Now I'm really curious how many of the regulars on this thread are using what. What are your thoughts @Aqua Man ?
Pith and husk are not the same... I use canna coco. Certified pest free and consistent.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

In a recent survey of professional coco growers, 20% used it alone, and 80% used it as over 70% of their mix. Just as many coco users were using just 10-20% coco, so are outside the count of coco growers.
That's 4 out of 5 coco growers, not actually coco growers, if we want to be pedantic. Of the 1 in 5 that do use coco (which is all I can address with blanket statements about coco) we still have them falling into different grades.

This thread seems to be the c4c guidance. A constantly wet method, with the low air and pithium risks that brings. Cannabis loves air.
Here is canna's take on things, for balance https://www.cannagardening.com/using_canna_coco

Another somewhat expected quote

Here is a brand we see, and it's 4 grades listed for air and water retention
See here is why I think we see a difference in coco mix... the size of the pots. As pots get bigger gas exchange slows so we mix in more perlite. This Is why I recommended thw ratios I did.

If you want a better understanding that most ppl miss have a read here. It's all about air to water ratio and gas exchange.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey guys been using aqua's method for watering and my run off ec has never been better! Thanks Aqua! Over the last 12 waterings 4 times a day only once has my ec been over inflow (only by .1 ec or 50 ppm). I have noticed a couple of my plants(day 19 from seed) start to get real wavy leaves. I can push the leaf center in or out on a couple leaves as well. I'm assuming this is a vpd issue but wanted to make sure before i do any changes. PH 5.8 EC 1.0 My Tent temp right now: 77. Humidity:58. Leaf temp:77. Thanks dudes View attachment 1185078View attachment 1185080View attachment 1185079
Light intensity maybe a bit high but what are all the environmental parameters at?

urijah710420

urijah710420

Light intensity maybe a bit high but what are all the environmental parameters at?
Room Temp: 77
Humidity: 59%
Leaf Temp: 74
Currently at 1.30kPa Room VPD
Currently at 1.00 kPa Leaf VPD
Here is the VPD calculator i use: https://www.dimluxlighting.com/knowledge/blog/vapor-pressure-deficit-the-ultimate-guide-to-vpd/

Running a California light works SolarSystem 550 at half strength (200 watts) hanging 43 inches above now(was 36 inches). I raised it last night when you mentioned it could be light stress and they are looking a little better.
I use the controller. On their site it says to run Veg at 49 red 99 white 99 blue. Thats too powerful so I run the same ratios just at 29 red 60 white 60 blue.
I have my exhaust running 24/7.

I'm wondering if it can be a genetic (Chem91xChemD) thing because they are all getting fed the same amount. Some have the wavy leaves some don't. I have herd variegation is a genetic trait for Chemdog and see it on 2 of my plants.

Here they are today right after lights on. Day 19 from seed. Transplanting this weekend and then topping. How long after tansplanting should I wait to top? Or should I top and then transplant? Really appreciate the help! This thread should be mandatory reading for new coco growers.
Chemdog Day 19

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Room Temp: 77
Humidity: 59%
Leaf Temp: 74
Currently at 1.30kPa Room VPD
Currently at 1.00 kPa Leaf VPD
Here is the VPD calculator i use: https://www.dimluxlighting.com/knowledge/blog/vapor-pressure-deficit-the-ultimate-guide-to-vpd/

Running a California light works SolarSystem 550 at half strength (200 watts) hanging 43 inches above now(was 36 inches). I raised it last night when you mentioned it could be light stress and they are looking a little better.
I use the controller. On their site it says to run Veg at 49 red 99 white 99 blue. Thats too powerful so I run the same ratios just at 29 red 60 white 60 blue.
I have my exhaust running 24/7.

I'm wondering if it can be a genetic (Chem91xChemD) thing because they are all getting fed the same amount. Some have the wavy leaves some don't. I have herd variegation is a genetic trait for Chemdog and see it on 2 of my plants.

Here they are today right after lights on. Day 19 from seed. Transplanting this weekend and then topping. How long after tansplanting should I wait to top? Or should I top and then transplant? Really appreciate the help! This thread should be mandatory reading for new coco growers.View attachment 1185341
If they look healthy you can top even the day after. I would transplant then top but either would be fine.

In media's with a faster growth rate recovery time is minimal when compared to the old mindset of days to a week recovery.

I usually don't see plants go more than a few hrs to recover from a topping. Transplants will depend on the plants and how you transition them.

I suggest after transplant to reduce the light intensity by 1/3 to 1/2 for 2 days and make sure humidity isn't low. This will reduce the demand on the root system and let it settle in faster and stress free.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Hey guys been using aqua's method for watering and my run off ec has never been better! Thanks Aqua! Over the last 12 waterings 4 times a day only once has my ec been over inflow (only by .1 ec or 50 ppm). I have noticed a couple of my plants(day 19 from seed) start to get real wavy leaves. I can push the leaf center in or out on a couple leaves as well. I'm assuming this is a vpd issue but wanted to make sure before i do any changes. PH 5.8 EC 1.0 My Tent temp right now: 77. Humidity:58. Leaf temp:77. Thanks dudes View attachment 1185078View attachment 1185080View attachment 1185079
Puffy leaves between the veins is a simple overwatering situation

urijah710420

urijah710420

Puffy leaves between the veins is a simple overwatering situation
Thanks! Instead of 4 waters a day I'll drop it to 3 spaced out further apart than the every 4hrs I was feeding before. They are deff eating, 1.0ec 500ppm inflow, outflow has been 460-490 every time. I did notice the lower leaves drooping as well. I just didn't think you could over water in coco but I guess I did. I did notice my night temps droping to 69-70 which I'm trying to bring up. Could that cause over watered symptoms without actually being over watered? The bottom of the cups is filled with roots popping thru. Here is the leaf drop i'm talking about(day 22 veg). Thanks dudes!
Leaf drop
Day 22

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Thanks! Instead of 4 waters a day I'll drop it to 3 spaced out further apart than the every 4hrs I was feeding before. They are deff eating, 1.0ec 500ppm inflow, outflow has been 460-490 every time. I did notice the lower leaves drooping as well. I just didn't think you could over water in coco but I guess I did. I did notice my night temps droping to 69-70 which I'm trying to bring up. Could that cause over watered symptoms without actually being over watered? The bottom of the cups is filled with roots popping thru. Here is the leaf drop i'm talking about(day 22 veg). Thanks dudes!
View attachment 1186364View attachment 1186363
As Aqua Man has stated there is different grades of coir, and watering times are a direct correlation to plant size to pot size, in my garden those size plants in those party cups would only need a single watering a day at lights on with a 400 ppm nutrient solution, feeding at 500 ppm and the outflow is 460 ppm, your plants are only consuming 40 ppm of nutrients seems a little wasteful. Max feeds for me tap out at 700 ppm in full flower on my hungriest strains like my OG's, most are fine at 600 ppm's max

JeremyMu

JeremyMu

Hello,I have just put the seedings in a 1-gallon container.Do I need to feed them every day?I found that the weight of each pot has not been reduced,and the leaves are curled.could it be because the coco is always in a saturated state?not enough oxygen in the roots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom