HOW TO WATER COCO FOR BEST RESULTS.

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hello,I have just put the seedings in a 1-gallon container.Do I need to feed them every day?I found that the weight of each pot has not been reduced,and the leaves are curled.could it be because the coco is always in a saturated state?not enough oxygen in the roots.
Yeah ots likely a few days at first. If you give 250ml and you get 25 ml coming out after watering your good. That's likely once every couple days and even then at the beginning you can let em dry back a bit more if you like.

Most importantly dont give to much light and concentrate on the temp and environment.

justice8965

justice8965

Just started my 4th coco grow. I transplanted from Jiffy pucks to clear solo cups. Watered every 3 days for 12 days. By the end the root system was filling the cup. I'm doing the same now in the final 2 gal pots for 2 weeks. Letting the coco dry some (never completely or even close to completely) and keeping the environment hot and humid encourages root growth. After the 2 weeks are up and I've got a nice root system, I'll start my auto watering system and blast the roots multiple times a day (3x to start working my way up to 6x once flower starts)

So far it's the healthiest start to a grow I've had, plants look great

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just started my 4th coco grow. I transplanted from Jiffy pucks to clear solo cups. Watered every 3 days for 12 days. By the end the root system was filling the cup. I'm doing the same now in the final 2 gal pots for 2 weeks. Letting the coco dry some (never completely or even close to completely) and keeping the environment hot and humid encourages root growth. After the 2 weeks are up and I've got a nice root system, I'll start my auto watering system and blast the roots multiple times a day (3x to start working my way up to 6x once flower starts)

So far it's the healthiest start to a grow I've had, plants look great
Good stuff brother... when ya find what works for ya stick with it.

H

hydrodreams

Hy Aqua Man

Thank you very much for opening this thread and a lot of the valuable informations you told with it. It's valuable to me because I am in the middle of replaning my growing style. Up until now, I planted 16 plants per m2 in 6L pots with high quality pea substrate. Just like you mentioned in one of the first posts in this thread, your intention back then was to use as little substrate as possible when you decided to go with 1 gal pots coco, I also became attracted with coco again because it can help one with such an intention not buy and move around such high quantities of medium.

I just read the first eight pages of this thread (the whole 49 is quiet a lot), but I already got a lot of information. You mentioned in post No. 140 that you have 24 plants in a space of 4 x 6....If I break that down its about 12 plants per m2....

My plan is to do only 9 plants per m2 (appr. 3x3 feet) in 6L pots coco....So if i want good results, I will need to get more out of this nine per m2 than you get out of your 12 per m2 in 1 gal pots....

Therefore I wanted to ask you, what you think how your plants would have changed (size, yield?) if you used 6L instead of 1gal?....Do you think that iin bigger pots they would yielded more and grown taller even if the veg is the same like you did in 1 gal? How long did you veg in 1 gal anyway?

Thanks a lot

Observationist

Observationist

I would have to disagree a wet dry cycle is for soil... the reason being soil cannot stay saturated and provide adequate o2. Soil is a balancing act of water nutrients and o2... inorder to achieve that we need a wet dry cycle or they don't get all of those

If you treat coco like soil it will grow but you also get soil like results.

In pure hydro which is much faster than soil the roots are completely submerged.

I have not seen or read any evidence (excluding bro science) that says coco needs a wet dry cycle. Soil yes for the reason I explained... bit this is not soil.

If it works for ya that's great. Maybe one day you will give high fertigation coco a try and compare.
So DONT let it get dry at all? treat it like hydro and keep the roots wet?

Observationist

Observationist

Yep.. That said, get your roots established first.
gotcha, makes sense, wanted to let my clones dry out some and make the roots aim up when i start spraying the top layer? and instead of shooting straight to the bottom for water? idea being so itll take over the whole solo cup, or will it anways, my seed did, but my clone is little further in. idk

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Roots are gonna do their thing as long as you water properly. Watering in a nicely rooted clone into whatever size container you use will only take a few days. Then you can aim on keeping the coco wet. Once you get to feeding multiple times a day, forget hand watering. I recommend automating a pump.

Observationist

Observationist

Roots are gonna do their thing as long as you water properly. Watering in a nicely rooted clone into whatever size container you use will only take a few days. Then you can aim on keeping the coco wet. Once you get to feeding multiple times a day, forget hand watering. I recommend automating a pump.
on bout day 3 of being able to see the roots, and they are growing so fast, probably getting a tent soon and properly setup a somewhat decent grow space, and ill be looking into automation, really appreciate you, might have to start feeding in a few days

have only done a couple soil grows, this will be my first official coco grow, been reading a lot.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Honestly, I dont know what took me so long to try DTW. After my bag of coco is done, I'm going to try unislabs ala Dirtbag and see which i like better, same concept. That said, I dont have a huge flowering space and the unislabs might be a little bigger than what i need. 1 Gallon pots of coco works great, just need to fertigate frequently.

Observationist

Observationist

Honestly, I dont know what took me so long to try DTW. After my bag of coco is done, I'm going to try unislabs ala Dirtbag and see which i like better, same concept. That said, I dont have a huge flowering space and the unislabs might be a little bigger than what i need. 1 Gallon pots of coco works great, just need to fertigate frequently.
i have not heard of the unislab before @Dirtbag (shows my vast years of growing experience, haha) i might try those next.

i just want to get away from soil, big ass pots and lots of extra medium to haul around.

loving the more hands on approach and benefits of coco/hydro grows, instead of building a soil and adding water every couple of days.

i want to try 1 gal coco and maybe 2 gal coco plants.

eventually do a DWC grow, then finally a aeroponic system in the future.

aeroponics is where its at, in my "narrow" opinion.

Last edited:
jguit

jguit

Supporter
With the exception of keeping mothers in soil in the past, I tried 'no till' living soil once and failed miserably. Sounded great in concept but trying to execute it indoors was more trouble than it was worth. I'm sure it's a great way to grow, it just didn't suit my growing style whatsoever. I'm far too lazy.

Observationist

Observationist

With the exception of keeping mothers in soil in the past, I tried 'no till' living soil once and failed miserably. Sounded great in concept but trying to execute it indoors was more trouble than it was worth. I'm sure it;s a great way to grow, it just didn't suit my growing style whatsoever.
exactly what im doing right now in my closet, keeping 2 mothers in 5gal ocean forest.

my first out door grow was basically that it went great till i got fucked by PM

jguit

jguit

Supporter
exactly what im doing right now in my closet, keeping 2 mothers in 5gal ocean forest.

my first out door grow was basically that it went great till i got fucked by PM
The whole making the soil, dirt all over the place, teas, worm shit, microherd, blah blah.. Aint for me. lol

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Try it all and see what you like. I've tried a bunch over the years and I think DTW is probably where i'll stay. DWC is great but is kinda fussy and the air pumps are far to noisy for me. I never tried aeroponics and never really had an urge to try.

That said, my biggest yields were DWC but that's not my main concern at this point.

Observationist

Observationist

The whole making the soil, dirt all over the place, teas, worm shit, microherd, blah blah.. Aint for me. lol
fuck all of that, thats exactly what i was doing i liked it at first but for indoor growing naw.

it worked good but i want something more technical and precise.

Observationist

Observationist

Try it all and see what you like. I've tried a bunch over the years and I think DTW is probably where i'll stay. DWC is great but is kinda fussy and the air pumps are far to noisy for me. I never tried aeroponics and never really had an urge to try.
yea it seemed like a pain reading some threads here (DWC) but its not too far from aeroponics but will be challenging at first,

ima learn with this coco grow and go from there.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I can't rememeber if it was Dirtbag or Aquaman who suggested using as much PVC as possible for plumbing but that was great advice. It's dead simple to work with and cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom