HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

I looked into, lighting my 8x8 with HLG boards was going to cost well north of 2 thou. I wouldnt personally use anything besides HLG if I was doing led, and theyre expensive. Then I would have to heat my shed on top of that for 8 months of the year.

HID was just more attractive. I can grow stadium with an HID lamp which I couldnt do with LEd which makes it even more versatile for me.
Don’t worry. I have an unbiased opinion on leds vs hids. Every situation has multiple ways to solve it. Being in a shed especially here in Canada hid lighting would benefit you way better from saving heat, here in Ontario electricity is like 7.7 for the first 600 hours then 8.9 kw from then on so it will not kill you!. I grow in a room with a tent and a seal environment excess heat could cause problems because it’s already not in there but you already know the pros and cons of both

Ace9137

Ace9137

I thought that was the most important part? You can throw amazing genetics in anything and it will be amazing throw shit genetics with everything else good and it’s 🤷🏻‍♀️
I would think that plants over time adapt to certain lights, their intensity, plus environment, would those plants change? I mean, there has been at least 40 years of plants grown under HID's, that is a lot of generations for said plant and/or plants. Same phenotype to same strain under the same lighting and environment conditions, well a sort of closet landrace.

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

I would think that plants over time adapt to certain lights, their intensity, plus environment, would those plants change? I mean, there has been at least 40 years of plants grown under HID's, that is a lot of generations for said plant and/or plants. Same phenotype to same strain under the same lighting and environment conditions, well a sort of closet landrace.
I was thinking this to myself the other day. Especially when I read people saying that the yields got better from the same strain over 10 years, I was thinking that the plant eventually will get use to the conditions and flourish

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Possibly bit now we are getting more into the spectrums and how efficiently the plants are using them. I doubt it could change much on an evolutionary scale but who knows.

Ace9137

Ace9137

I was thinking this to myself the other day. Especially when I read people saying that the yields got better from the same strain over 10 years, I was thinking that the plant eventually will get use to the conditions and flourish
I think that is also from selective breeding, yield, trichome coverage, and of course the effect. I was thinking more along the lines of how growing under fluorescent light and then going to HID, and then going to LED, what the significant affect it might have on the same strains if any, would it come from the genetic adaptability? Or would it come from genetic mutation?

Ace9137

Ace9137

Possibly bit now we are getting more into the spectrums and how efficiently the plants are using them. I doubt it could change much on an evolutionary scale but who knows.
Corn crops are still evolving through selective breeding, if it was at a dead end you would eventually come to sterility until extinction.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Corn crops are still evolving through selective breeding, if it was at a dead end you would eventually come to sterility until extinction.
Oh I agree I just feel evolution is slower than that. Not all traits but like I said I could be wrong it just seems like 40 years is a blink of an eye on the evolutionary scale in term of light adaptation. But I'm no expert

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

I think that is also from selective breeding, yield, trichome coverage, and of course the effect. I was thinking more along the lines of how growing under fluorescent light and then going to HID, and then going to LED, what the significant affect it might have on the same strains if any, would it come from the genetic adaptability? Or would it come from genetic mutation?
That’s very interesting to think about. Has anyone put a light under 3 different lights at different times? Cool experiment

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

Oh I agree I just feel evolution is slower than that. Not all traits but like I said I could be wrong it just seems like 40 years is a blink of an eye on the evolutionary scale in term of light adaptation. But I'm no expert
I think 40 years is enough for it to adjust in ways to make it grow faster under that light , nothing crazy tho like bigger yields or more trichomenes all opinions tho not facts

Ace9137

Ace9137

I think 40 years is enough for it to adjust in ways to make it grow faster under that light , nothing crazy tho like bigger yields or more trichomenes all opinions tho not facts
40 years would probably be enough time for a plant to effectively absorb the same kind of light, remember plants can have more generations than most, most indicas grow about 3 months, hybrids every 4 months, and sativas about every 4 to 5 months, this considering certain conditions and a steady environment. An indica alone(1 month veg and 2 months flower.), would have about 4 generations per year, 1 and a half months veg for hybrid, and a sativa about 3 weeks, with 3 to 4 months in flower,(maybe more?). So, constant production would lead to a more stable crop adapted to indoor growing.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

40 years would probably be enough time for a plant to effectively absorb the same kind of light, remember plants can have more generations than most, most indicas grow about 3 months, hybrids every 4 months, and sativas about every 4 to 5 months, this considering certain conditions and a steady environment. An indica alone(1 month veg and 2 months flower.), would have about 4 generations per year, 1 and a half months veg for hybrid, and a sativa about 3 weeks, with 3 to 4 months in flower,(maybe more?). So, constant production would lead to a more stable crop adapted to indoor growing.
Kind of but not really. Clones don't really count and genetics stay the same the way I see it. It would have to be passed on by seed. Those seeds as far as I understand need to be conditioned? I'm not sure the time period from harvest to being able to plant as I have never researched or done it.

Then you need to do that whole process over again.

I can't see 4 generations a year. Maybe 2?

I'm not stating facts just thinking outloud.

Ace9137

Ace9137

Kind of but not really. Clones don't really count and genetics stay the same the way I see it. It would have to be passed on by seed. Those seeds as far as I understand need to be conditioned? I'm not sure the time period from harvest to being able to plant as I have never researched or done it.

Then you need to do that whole process over again.

I can't see 4 generations a year. Maybe 2?

I'm not stating facts just thinking outloud.
In a way it maybe less, I am talking about more of a breeding program, some people had to have one. Indicas can grow very quick, depending also on other factors. I have had plants that were done before suggested grower times. I was surprised and asked around, finally I found out that depending on your lighting schedule and your nutrient program, you can cause your plant to finish early, maybe a week at most, so say I am just joe average pollen chucker, I find a pheno from a strain that flowers early, I adjust the lighting schedule and give alternating doses of nutrients in a controlled environment, I could theoretically produce three generations per years, maybe four if timed right, again, this would be on pure breeding terms, not on final product or flower quality per se.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

In a way it maybe less, I am talking about more of a breeding program, some people had to have one. Indicas can grow very quick, depending also on other factors. I have had plants that were done before suggested grower times. I was surprised and asked around, finally I found out that depending on your lighting schedule and your nutrient program, you can cause your plant to finish early, maybe a week at most, so say I am just joe average pollen chucker, I find a pheno from a strain that flowers early, I adjust the lighting schedule and give alternating doses of nutrients in a controlled environment, I could theoretically produce three generations per years, maybe four if timed right, again, this would be on pure breeding terms, not on final product or flower quality per se.
Yeah I can definitely see it for pheno hunting. I'm skeptical on the plants as whole adaptation to light in such a short period. But it's really subjective as to how much adaptation. For instance can a plant adapt to growing using only certain spectrums or increasing light intensity by 2 fold of the sun in 40 years I don't see it. Maybe by 1% maybe by 10%? Who knows... Are we talking about surviving or thriving? I'm not even going to speculate it so far above my level.

Kingjoshh

Kingjoshh

Yeah I can definitely see it for pheno hunting. I'm skeptical on the plants as whole adaptation to light in such a short period. But it's really subjective as to how much adaptation. For instance can a plant adapt to growing using only certain spectrums or increasing light intensity by 2 fold of the sun in 40 years I don't see it. Maybe by 1% maybe by 10%? Who knows... Are we talking about surviving or thriving? I'm not even going to speculate it so far above my level.
I was thinking about clones because if you keep cutting the clones and keep cutting and keep cutting and have the same plant grown under the same light for 40 years I feel like that plant would adjust. Maybe maybe not it’s just cool to think about. Who knows maybe someone will do it

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ahh the great light debates. Sounds just like my aquarium hobby but they have actually made some inexpensive LED lights that actually work great to grow coral.
Ahh a reefer 😁. Yep same thing here. Only not many ppl are using actinic bulbs. And viewing pleasure spectrums mean nothing to cannabis growers. We also don't have to deal with light filtration of water at different depths. Other than that same shit different pile.

Oh and the intensity requirements are far greater. But I have seen some crazy expensive light for aquariums when comparing watt to watt cost I would say aquarium lighting cost significantly more

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Ahh the great light debates. Sounds just like my aquarium hobby but they have actually made some inexpensive LED lights that actually work great to grow coral.

Ok but do they work better than T-5 flourescents or metal halide? Lol. ;-)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Ahh a reefer 😁. Yep same thing here. Only not many ppl are using actinic bulbs. And viewing pleasure spectrums mean nothing to cannabis growers. We also don't have to deal with light filtration of water at different depths. Other than that same shit different pile.

Oh and the intensity requirements are far greater. But I have seen some crazy expensive light for aquariums when comparing watt to watt cost I would say aquarium lighting cost significantly more

Thats what i thought. Aquarium stuff is marked up even more than grow stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom