HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
marski420

marski420

Hey now that's not fair.. everyone knows damn well android is way better than apple lol. An I was an iPhone guy for years before seeing the light.

But yeah different strokes man.. HLG make good LED units from what I've seen, but they're pricey. My HID setup for 2 lights including e-ballasts, mogul sockets and cords, lamps and reflectors was less than $500 total out the door, and that is using eye hortilux lamps. Reflectors were second hand mind you, but still that's cheap to illuminate my 8x8 stadium setup. Running costs arent bad as again I have cheap hydro electricity.. I do replace bulbs every 6 months so I'm looking at about $350 per year in lamp costs, but that's still peanuts in the grand scheme of things.

And like you said. It's well known what they can do. They grow excellent pot. With LED you really need to do your homework and shell out big off the bat to grow the same quality as you can get with a brainless HID setup. But I do believe they have a place. It's just not BC lol.

Check out the chinese HLG lights from alibaba, they make identical models to the NA version but it only costs about 300 USD + 70 shipping. I've seen people over on the microgrow subreddit go nuts over them for a while now.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Lol ding!ding!ding! Round one. Sorry I'm not putting on a ring girl outfit I like being part of this forum. Will stick to the bell.

I didnt even propose an argument about aquarium lighting being higher quality and better for our plants yet. :cool:

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thats what i thought. Aquarium stuff is marked up even more than grow stuff.
Yeah... But I have a huge soft spot for a beautiful tank. I can spend hours a day just staring. This might be suicide to admit here but even more than staring at my cannabis. Just fucking tranquil like an escape from reality like a mini vacation. Reefers and planted tank folks will likely understand what I mean. My friends are like "wtf you staring at dude. Show me the grow room idc about your tanks" haha I don't just to annoy them I could stare and talk about it for hours.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I didnt even propose an argument about aquarium lighting being higher quality and better for our plants yet. :cool:
Not what I was hoping for. I thought we were going to debate aquarium lighting. See I get excited just thinking about them... It's a sickness I tell you. I'm not kidding when I say I went to monthly meetings for 20 years

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Check out the chinese HLG lights from alibaba, they make identical models to the NA version but it only costs about 300 USD + 70 shipping. I've seen people over on the microgrow subreddit go nuts over them for a while now.

I have been saving links to them from here in threads.

I think the kit prices at the american companies like HLG should be the complete fixture price. They dont have to gouge us so hard. The growers should never have paid $1200 and up for a 4x4’ area lamp. Its twice what it should be in my opinion.

I hoped with “ legal” weed the grow supply companies would at least stop ripping off growers as they became more educated.

Silly me.

Guess you cant grow $250 seeds in a $50 bale of peat and perlite with $500 of bottled nutes with a crappy $250 lamp. ;-)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Not what I was hoping for. I thought we were going to debate aquarium lighting. See I get excited just thinking about them... It's a sickness I tell you. I'm not kidding when I say I went to monthly meetings for 20 years

You should try discussing guitar pickup magnets in a guitar forum. You guys are amateurs. Lol.

You heard me. The magnet material highly affects tone of course.

Now how is my stainless steel bridge going to go with those vintage magnet pickups?

Wait is this through my vacuum tube amp or solid state. Or digital.......?.?.?.!.!.!

I have at least 20 tubes in my collection. I dont even own a tube amp anymore. Wonder how many half used hps bulbs i have in the drawer?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I have been saving links to them from here in threads.

I think the kit prices at the american companies like HLG should be the complete fixture price. They dont have to gouge us so hard. The growers should never have paid $1200 and up for a 4x4’ area lamp. Its twice what it should be in my opinion.

I hoped with “ legal” weed the grow supply companies would at least stop ripping off growers as they became more educated.

Silly me.

Guess you cant grow $250 seeds in a $50 bale of peat and perlite with $500 of bottled nutes with a crappy $250 lamp. ;-)

But.. but.. I do grow $50 seeds in a $40 bale of peat and perlite with $40 worth of bottled nutes and a crappy $250 lamp. lol.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You should try discussing guitar pickup magnets in a guitar forum. You guys are amateurs. Lol.

You heard me. The magnet material highly affects tone of course.

Now how is my stainless steel bridge going to go with those vintage magnet pickups?

Wait is this through my vacuum tube amp or solid state. Or digital.......?.?.?.!.!.!

I have at least 20 tubes in my collection. I dont even own a tube amp anymore. Wonder how many half used hps bulbs i have in the drawer?
I wish I had a musical bone in my body. I love it but you so not want to hear me sing or play any instruments.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah... But I have a huge soft spot for a beautiful tank. I can spend hours a day just staring. This might be suicide to admit here but even more than staring at my cannabis. Just fucking tranquil like an escape from reality like a mini vacation. Reefers and planted tank folks will likely understand what I mean. My friends are like "wtf you staring at dude. Show me the grow room idc about your tanks" haha I don't just to annoy them I could stare and talk about it for hours.

When i was a young man i surrounded my rooms with fish tanks. Just freshwater and brackish. Never did salt or reef. But i did manage to have some beautiful tropical river set ups. With whisper filter waterfalls and gravel built up to the surface for chameleons and albino frogs to bask on.

And a jungle of plants in the “valley” for the barbs, sharks and tetras to play in.

Across the room a red lava rock wall with colorful electric looking african cichlids peeking out from all the holes.

I miss it but i feel i have enough water chores already at this point.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

When i was a young man i surrounded my rooms with fish tanks. Just freshwater and brackish. Never did salt or reef. But i did manage to have some beautiful tropical river set ups. With whisper filter waterfalls and gravel built up to the surface for chameleons and albino frogs to bask on.

And a jungle of plants in the “valley” for the barbs, sharks and tetras to play in.

Across the room a red lava rock wall with colorful electric looking african cichlids peeking out from all the holes.

I miss it but i feel i have enough water chores already at this point.
Yeah I gave it up too and I miss it but the work.... Just to much for me at my age and lifestyle. 1 hobby at a time now.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yeah I gave it up too and I miss it but the work.... Just to much for me at my age and lifestyle. 1 hobby at a time now.

1 hobby? I need 3. And growing is my work as well. For recreation mountain biking, kayaking and playing guitar. Got to keep busy and moving or my illnesses wil keep me down.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

Ahh a reefer 😁. Yep same thing here. Only not many ppl are using actinic bulbs. And viewing pleasure spectrums mean nothing to cannabis growers. We also don't have to deal with light filtration of water at different depths. Other than that same shit different pile.

Oh and the intensity requirements are far greater. But I have seen some crazy expensive light for aquariums when comparing watt to watt cost I would say aquarium lighting cost significantly more
I felt the same way until I found a $130 aquarium LED light that grows coral and gives great color as good as the $500+ models. Not sure why the horticultural industry is lagging lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I felt the same way until I found a $130 aquarium LED light that grows coral and gives great color as good as the $500+ models. Not sure why the horticultural industry is lagging lol
But what is the wattage on it? If you compare the watts and compare the prices I bet you will be surprised

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
lol, a few years ago I had a few hobbies going on. I was growing pot, brewing beer, ranching and storing yeasts, Flying RC planes, and reloading ammunition. Had a fish tank too..lol.

No more fish tank, reloading, or yeast ranching. Still fly now and then, and I still make beer and grow pot. Though I brew pretty infrequently these days.

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

But what is the wattage on it? If you compare the watts and compare the prices I bet you will be surprised
I don’t chase watts only PAR and I let my animals tell me if everything is good lol. I’ve always been a low budget person and never went the LED route until 5 years ago. 10 years ago a LED fixture ran you $3k and they were garbage. LED has come a long way and will only get better has more industries start using it.

Top Bottom