Hps Vs Cmh Vs Led

• Thread starter heisen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

heisen

About a week left ill post the final weights after they dried,4 plants under the cobs,4 under the CMH so will be close

Some pics taken with my Nikon and the macro

DSC 0261

DSC 0283

DSC 0289

DSC 0294

DSC 0354

DSC 0373

DSC 0356

DSC 0332
KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

Can't wait to see the final results, thanks so much for this sir how is the quality looking, same on both? Do you think in a blind test that YOU would be able to tell which bud was which at this point?

G gnome

G gnome

#dwc4life
These plants always throw calcium issues no matter what.i get up to 7ml per gallon and it goes away but that much magnesium screws everything else up.if I could find a straight up calcium nute I would never have this problem with these.sucks calmag comes with so much magnesium in it.only happens directly below the bulbs.these grow big

Edit:
Talking about the 1st pic calcium issues.scotts OG
The link for the second time I ran them in my signature and I talked about the issue there also.there calcium whores.

View attachment 811106

Started dry koolbloom tonight.
View attachment 811107

View attachment 811108
Humboldt makes a Ca product

Friendlyguy

Friendlyguy

Will the cmh side smell/taste better than the cobside because of the difference in size?

Do they smell any different?
Not at all man,cmh buds look better.majority of those pics came from the cmh side.the cobs just produced a bigger area and more weight imo.i dont have numbers yet but I already the cobs won on weight.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You can find CaCL, CaNo3 and CaSo4 (Calcium sulfate) usually pretty easily locally as they are all used in the aquarium hobby. If not online is where I order mine. Calcium Sulfate is prob what you want in flowering if you are trying to keep nitrates down and Calcium Nitrate would be good for veg. I would stay away from Calcium Chloride if it were me

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not at all man,cmh buds look better.majority of those pics came from the cmh side.the cobs just produced a bigger area and more weight imo.i dont have numbers yet but I already the cobs won on weight.

Do you have any idea if it might be the extra UV that CMH provides? Just curious if maybe adding UV to the cobs would make for the best of both worlds?

H

heisen

Do you have any idea if it might be the extra UV that CMH provides? Just curious if maybe adding UV to the cobs would make for the best of both worlds?
Not sure but the differences in appearance are almost unnoticeable,trichs are identical and i just looked them all ober and some of the tops under the cobs actually look more frosty but again its really a coin toss,Its just the leaves under the cmh look better and this could be because of the bulbs are further away due to the distance of 1 bulb in the center vs multiple cobs directly over the canopy,
Without a doubt the cobs absolutely out performed the 2 cmh bulbs on overall weight and density,As per cola the weight is not noticeable at all,colas are the same size on the whole 4x10,But the area under the cobs just looks more full and every cola is stacked,Hard to explain but i can tell the cobs packed on more bud sites and weight.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not sure but the differences in appearance are almost unnoticeable,trichs are identical and i just looked them all ober and some of the tops under the cobs actually look more frosty but again its really a coin toss,Its just the leaves under the cmh look better and this could be because of the bulbs are further away due to the distance of 1 bulb in the center vs multiple cobs directly over the canopy,
Without a doubt the cobs absolutely out performed the 2 cmh bulbs on overall weight and density,As per cola the weight is not noticeable at all,colas are the same size on the whole 4x10,But the area under the cobs just looks more full and every cola is stacked,Hard to explain but i can tell the cobs packed on more bud sites and weight.

I'm just grasping at what makes sense to me. Here is my thought process which could be way out to lunch but i like to try to make sense of results so here is my attempt.

The CMH provides decent UVB. UVB causes stress in plants at differing levels depending on the amount provided, generally stress slows plant growth. So i would assume it would minimally hinder growth.

UVB in flower has been generally accepted to increase trich's in either numbers or size so while you may not see more tich's they may be bigger? Maybe you can answer that. Starvation/flushing at the end, same deal. I can't help but think there is a max that a strain could produce and beyond that it won't make a difference.

In short is it possible you see more growth from the COB's because they do not provide UVB? I guess without testing there is no way to tell the effect on potency.

Sorry not trying to hijack or come off as i know what or why these things are happening but rather trying to get some info for myself out of your grow :) I'm greedy like that

Last edited:
H

heisen

I'm just grasping at what makes sense to me. Here is my thought process which could be way out to lunch but i like to try to make sense of results so here is my attempt.

The CMH provides decent UVB. UVB causes stress in plants at differing levels depending on the amount provided, generally stress slows plant growth. So i would assume it would minimally hinder growth.

UVB in flower has been generally accepted to increase trich's in either numbers or size so while you may not see more tich's they may be bigger? Maybe you can answer that. Starvation/flushing at the end, same deal. I can't help but think there is a max that a strain could produce and beyond that it won't make a difference.

In short is it possible you see more growth from the COB's because they do not provide UVB? I guess without testing there is no way to tell the effect on potency.
That would be a whole different comparison on potency vs which light is best.
I was just doing a growth and size comparison for people on the fence about cobs not being able to produce like a cmh or HID bulb.they clearly can without a doubt if not perform better IMO.

bicky studs

bicky studs

#dwc4life
These plants always throw calcium issues no matter what.i get up to 7ml per gallon and it goes away but that much magnesium screws everything else up.if I could find a straight up calcium nute I would never have this problem with these.sucks calmag comes with so much magnesium in it.only happens directly below the bulbs.these grow big

Edit:
Talking about the 1st pic calcium issues.scotts OG
The link for the second time I ran them in my signature and I talked about the issue there also.there calcium whores.

View attachment 811106

Started dry koolbloom tonight.
View attachment 811107

View attachment 811108

i use these, love the monos!
IMG 2117

if i remember right they use calcium nitrate

GeneralGrow

GeneralGrow

Man damn, I did not think CMH lights were so good till i fully read this thread.
First of all, thanks heisen for this fully organised comparison.
I'm looking to get a 315 fixture for my next grow and put some leds that i have now for an autoflowering grow.
Is a 315w bulb enough for one square meter?
If so, which one should i get?
1.Supergrower LEC 315 fixture
2.Nanolux CMH 315 fixture (with vertical reflector)
Not mean to hijack your post, just thought that opening a new thread would be nonsense.
Thanks.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Man damn, I did not think CMH lights were so good till i fully read this thread.
First of all, thanks heisen for this fully organised comparison.
I'm looking to get a 315 fixture for my next grow and put some leds that i have now for an autoflowering grow.
Is a 315w bulb enough for one square meter?
If so, which one should i get?
1.Supergrower LEC 315 fixture
2.Nanolux CMH 315 fixture (with vertical reflector)
Not mean to hijack your post, just thought that opening a new thread would be nonsense.
Thanks.

315W should fit 1 m2 perfectly. Get the vertical setup, bulbs were designed for such aplication.

Latest posts

Top Bottom