Ice Box Water-Cooled Heat Exchanger - anyone using these?

• Thread starter jdubz206
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jdubz206

how's it going farmers? the last few months i've been seeing ads and articles written up on the Ice Box Water-Cooled Heat Exchanger by Hydro Innovations. i haven't seem them in store yet but i read in a mag that the MSRP is $150 or $160. is anyone using these? they are these little radiator looking things that fit on one of the duct flanges on an aircooled reflector. on the opposite flange, you hook up your ducting as usual. they say with one of these, you can eliminate 100% of the heat created by a 1000 watt light using water that is 10 degrees cooler than the ambient room temperature..so if room is 75 F, you need to use 65 F water...

for each 1000 watt light, you need 250 cfm's pulling through it to cool effectively. there is no need to vent the exhaust outside the room or house since it comes out at room temperature or below. in fact, it could even cool your room more. i don't use co2 but i would imagine this would increase the levels since you don't have to dump the light exhaust. i think the most effective way to exhaust one of these would be using one of those cheap suncourt ductbooster fans...they are 30 or 40 bucks and move a ton of air...the problem is when you hook up ducting they barely move at all..with nothing attached or to pull through, they do move a ton of air..i've been using the 8" ones for intake on my flower & veg room and they work great...i'm thinking one suncourt ductbooster per reflector would be great and keep the cost down for smaller scale growers..

in the winter, it would be easy for me to keep a steady supply of cold water in a reservoir..it usually comes out of the tap right around 50 in the winter...most of the year around 60-65...in summer or hot climates, you must use a chiller or think up some other way to keep your water cool. so it sounds like the chiller would be the most expensive investment...you need 1/4hp per 1000 watt light. i have no idea how much a chiller is but i remember them being somewhat expensive when i saw them @ the hydro shop a while back. water pumps are cheap and besides tubing, that's all you need to get a system up and running.

so here's my questions...

is this worth the initial cost of a chiller, ice box units, pump, fan, etc. or am i better off going with a nice a/c unit for the summer?

my buddy had bought a portable ac a year or two ago and i'm not sure if he got a cheap version or what but they kept breaking after a few weeks...after 3 or 4 new models being returned, they gave him a better model for no extra charge...that lasted him but he said that it wasn't cooling the room much. i've had someone else tell me that a/c sucked and i should just add an 8" vortex fan for intake instead of an ac...these are reasons why i'm reluctant to spend $400-$500 on a portable a/c..i don't want to have to turn off a bunch of lights in my room like i ended up having to do last summer.

on another note, i think it would be relatively easy to make a diy version of the icebox for the handy peeps out here...

here's some info from the manufacturer website:

icebox.jpg

ICE BOX Water-Cooled Heat Exchanger

The Ice Box is a safe and effective way to water-cool the air leaving your reflectors without adding a/c or more fans. It uses a water to air heat exchanger to water cool the hot air your reflectors produce. Water-cooling is much more effective and efficient than air-cooling, here's some science to prove it: Water has a thermal conductivity of 0.6 W/ (m*K) which is much higher than the thermal conductivity of air which is only 0.03 W/(m*K). Water also has a much higher specific heat capacity than air. What that means is water can absorb and remove from your garden 4 times the heat nearly 20 times faster than air! We aren't just talking about air cooling your reflectors, this goes for your air conditioning system too. Once heat is released in to your room the ability to efficiently remove that heat is lost. Air is only cooled with electricity whereas water can be cooled in dozens of ways with little or no energy. Further only 30% of the energy used in air conditioning is converted into usable cooling power, the rest is wasted. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that water-cooling will reduce your electric bill ... making your grow room a much happier place for you and your plants. In addition to cooling the heat from all those miniature suns we have in our grow rooms, if the water running through the Ice Box is cold enough, it can actually add supplemental air conditioning to your room, making them great for every operation from hut to warehouse.

Here's how it works:
The Ice Box design consists of a copper heat exchanger with a molded plastic housing. One side of the housing is designed to slip over a duct flange and the other side is designed to attach to your existing air ducting to run to an inline fan. Air from your room is pulled through your reflector just as it is now, and then over the Ice Box heat exchanger before exiting right back into the room. Cold water is circulated through the Ice Box, which is what draws the heat from the air before it exits back into your room. And a little bonus for all of us, with this device there is no need for air to enter or leave the growing environment, improving CO2 efficiency and reducing the introduction of pests, fungi, etc. Increased CO2 efficiency means lower costs for CO2 production and, for those of us burning gas to create CO2, even more control over heat production since we're not having an open flame in our rooms for quite as many hours a day. To adequately cool the air flow from a 1000 watt bulb, the circulated water only needs to be 10 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature in your room. So if you want to maintain a room temperature of 75 degrees, your water temperature only needs to be 65 degrees for the air temperature entering the reflector to be the same as the air temperature exiting the reflector. If you want to add supplemental air conditioning to your room, bring the water temperature down by more than 10 degrees and when it exits your reflector it will be cooler than the room itself. To cool the water you would need 1/4 hp minimum per 1000 watt reflector-yes, chillers use energy but not as much energy as a/c! Remember how much more efficient water cooling is over air. If additional cooling is needed for harsh environments the Ice Box itself can also be easily daisy chained for cooling power that is doubled, tripled, quadrupled. You get the picture.

ice1.jpg

ice2.jpg

ice3.jpg

Detailed Manual:

-----

peace farmers! j206

eyes

eyes

im gonna go peak at it. good find,dubs looks bad ass let me go read.

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey Jdubz, chillers are a great inexpensive way to cool, but it will increase humidity as the cool water condenses on the coil....you will probably have to add a dehumidifier if it is not exhausted outside....

pimpin

pimpin

strain hoarder
Supporter
im wondering myself just seen em at my local shop but i think it was more than that fuckers were u find it at

eyes

eyes

i would agree there would be condensation but how much and what effect would it have on how big of a room.if cooling the light is the main problem then yes you will take care most of the heat from the bulb that way.as to how much humidity it would create needs to be seen.i know someone i believe it was jah used one but not like shown.he used it to cool the room not the light .anytime the room got too hot the fan kicked on and blew cool air into the room and cooled it off quite nicely.i guess theres all kinds of factors:

using an ac kills 2 birds with one stone cause u get rid of humidity as well as hot air.like i stated it all depends on set up and how many lights.some applications will be better suited for an ac.not having to exhaust the heat from the light is nice.but whats more efficient the ac to cool the light and take care of the atmosphere or this water /air condenser? a 5000 btu ac is only 480 watts.so if u are using this gizmo and the chiller your using 480 watts with a quarter horsepower chiller.anyone else chime in?

S

skunkypaul

thats certainly a different way too cool

ill have a look at that idea

hubcap

hubcap

pretty bold claim saying it will even cool your room more.

id def look more into it.

off hand id also think condensation would be a problem, but, im not familiar with the rig.
just throwin some thoughts out there....

S

sirsmokealot

I have seen several videos at Urban Grower that show large grow rooms being cooled with water cooled heat-exchangers. They are the same thing as the one you can attach you your hood just larger. You can get them with multiple coils stacked in a row and with 1 -3 fans blowing air over the cold coils. They are WAY more efficiant than your typical AC. I was looking at one that can produce 18,000 btus of cooling and all your drawing is 4 amps to power the fans compared to an AC at 18,000 btus you looking at at least 12 amps. All you need is a good supply of cold water. They have them from 5000 btus all the up 50,000.

B

Bodhi Roach

hello,

has anyone tried one of these puppies out yet?

what do you think of the price tag?

do you think it will drip from the condensation?
mebbe a wick\string from the unit can direct it into a 2L bottle

im wondering about putting a big barrel res with the lid on, outside and running a recycling loop, dump some anti freeze in the barrel so it dont freeze up in winter.

ttyl:afroweed:

G

grizz

Bodhi your talking about the co2 burner I think, the ice box isent a chiller, its a heat excanger,(radiator) I saw one at my grow store yesterday, its a real small unit, there setting one up on display, for its size its hard to belive it could really do what they claim. there shouldent be any condensation at all.

B

Bodhi Roach

Hi grizz!!
DOH, yes, you are right, im a stoner!!

I was reading on another forum that the icebox can start to drip if the water going through it is very cold and the air being blown through it is very humid.

They say to run the water through the IB or dual IB's 1st and then through the HG as the HG only requires water to be 10 degress cooler than the temp of the heat byproduct of the HG

Where abouts are you located? none of the stores here have them yet :( I think I gonna have to order online, dang...

If you go to the store again, can you please let me know how well the IB works, with some detail as well :kiss

Im rdy to buy it, the solonoid valve and the HG asap

Thanks for the reply mang, I was waiting along time hehe

G

grizz

the shop is only setting up the heat exchanger, Texas Kid has the hydro gen up and running, might give him a pm, by what I see and have read its the way to go at present time, I wish they would hurry up and drop there air cooled model. Bodhi R Im west of the rocy's, south of the salt lake and north of death valley,lol,, sin city,

B

Bodhi Roach

dry as a petrified roadkill corpse on the side of the hwy over there huh, hehe

G

grizz

yep very dry, all hydro innovations stuff seems to be well thought out and tested, and there still impruving it, I see they have made a cap heat exchanger that goes on top of the hydrogen co2 burner that even cools it more than the origanal. also if you run cold enough water through that unit for the lights it could cool the room. neat shit no doubt...

M

meangreen69

hey there guys..new to the site..have a 4x4 tent, 1000watt MH, 340cfm fan...AND YES IM USEING THE ICE BOX..i must say u have to have the right size chiller to cool the light..i got the 1/10hp chiller(by mistake) and i cant keep temps down..but yes it does seem to work well..going to see if i can change the chiller in for a biger 1...this ice box needs to be dialed in before u start to grow..will keep u guys infomed...MEANGREEN..

SmokinDogCujo

SmokinDogCujo

Premium Member
Supporter
Meangreen,

What size rez are you running with that 1/10 hp chiller?

Were you planning on using their Co2 generator as well?

Grow Safe
SDC

N

Nuglover

All I'm asking is if the water is colder than the air and the RH of the air is high...how can there not be condensation?

G

grizz

All I'm asking is if the water is colder than the air and the RH of the air is high...how can there not be condensation?
Hey NG my grow shop has one set up on display hooked to a 1/4 hp chiller, there running a 600 w light, the chiller is set at 68 degrees, the air coming out is around 76, no condensation at all,

Top Bottom