If you have chemistry questions....

• Thread starter squiggly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squiggly

squiggly

This is an aside to plant chemistry as it relates to growing, but apropos to the effects of psychoactive and pharmaceutical mixtures on physiology.

I happened across some of your comments in a forum on Propranolol and smoking weed. I also have a Propranolol prescription I use for presentations, but since I occasionally panic when smoking potent strains (more heady Sativas that I need for creativity), I was wondering if Propranolol would help that, or kill my high.

Have you done both, and if so, what were the effects?
Cheers, man.
Propranolol will do nothing for you mentally. It will only suppress the physical effects of anxiety (sweating, increased heart rate, stronger heartbeat, initial spike in blood pressure, dry mouth, etc.)

KungFuCinema

KungFuCinema

Propranolol will do nothing for you mentally. It will only suppress the physical effects of anxiety (sweating, increased heart rate, stronger heartbeat, initial spike in blood pressure, dry mouth, etc.)

Thanks for the reply. I'm aware of Propranolol's objective mechanism and effects sober, but I was wondering more about the subjective experience when combined with THC. LittleDabbie answered this partly. Thanks again.

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

Squiggly, I've been searching and searching for this. When making E M inoculant from rice water serum and milk, what is the curd that is taken off the top after several days? Is it yogurt? Of the over two dozen instructions for making Essential Micronutrients { E M } they all seem to be cut and paste as they all seem verbatim with each other. Stating to take off curd and give to animals to aid digestion. But what is the curd made up of, and is it yogurt or cottage cheese or buttermilk? Really frustrated searching for this answer. Thank you. Peace, Dr.stickerdick

C

cj smith

i have a question.. ive tried useing activated bleaching earth to clean my oil with little luck. i followed the video on youtube "how bleaching earth works" best i could.. only difference is im trying to bleach oils in an ethyl alcohol mix. ive had better luck with activated charcoal crushed at different grits. what am i doing wrong? can you make hash oil clear??

squiggly

squiggly

i have a question.. ive tried useing activated bleaching earth to clean my oil with little luck. i followed the video on youtube "how bleaching earth works" best i could.. only difference is im trying to bleach oils in an ethyl alcohol mix. ive had better luck with activated charcoal crushed at different grits. what am i doing wrong? can you make hash oil clear??

You can make hash oil transparent, but not clear.

Activated charcoal is better for this job, but seems like a mostly un-necessary step to me. You need to size the activated charcoal correctly for this. I don't know too much about that but google should be able to help.

Step down how much material you pull out in a first run and you should end up with some pretty pristine oil. Do a second heavier run and maybe try to clean up that oil (or do it after you combine a few second runs together).

squiggly

squiggly

Squiggly, I've been searching and searching for this. When making E M inoculant from rice water serum and milk, what is the curd that is taken off the top after several days? Is it yogurt? Of the over two dozen instructions for making Essential Micronutrients { E M } they all seem to be cut and paste as they all seem verbatim with each other. Stating to take off curd and give to animals to aid digestion. But what is the curd made up of, and is it yogurt or cottage cheese or buttermilk? Really frustrated searching for this answer. Thank you. Peace, Dr.stickerdick

I have not the foggiest idea.

Dr.stickerdick

Dr.stickerdick

I have not the foggiest idea.
Thanks for answering. I went ahead and made what appears to be pretty good parmesan cheese. I had been reading from 2012 or so on here about B.I.M. & E M-1 etc. And within these formulas was a byproduct said to be fed to animals to aid digestion. I extrapolated it could as well make yogurt or cheese. Again, thank you. Peace

B

Bastian

Hello Friend!
You mention in another post that lecithin should be added to glycerol in order for it to be able to dissolve BHO. In what proportions? I have liquid lecithin.
I ask because I am trying to make BHO infused candies (hard candy, gummies) and find that the BHO does not dissolve nor blend at all... it remains in uneven globules in the final product. Any help on the matter is truly welcome, as most recipes just say to add the BHO, that it blends well, but I find that not to be the case.
Thanks in advance from the Mediterranean,
Bastian

F

frostythoe01

Hello all, Squiggly here--resident chemistry asshole here at the farm :)

For the past year or so in my free time I have been compiling some useful chemistry information (and underlying concepts) as it regards cultivation--cannabis in particular (where I'm able to find specifics). I plan to really kick this project into high gear for this year, hoping to have something broad and publishable by the end of 2013.

In the mean time I have a few requests of you guys:

1. If you have a chemistry question--please either post it here. There is no such thing as a stupid question, if its something you want to know and don't, there is a high degree of certainty which says there are many people out there who are in that same situation. I want this guide to help all growers, beginning and expert, so its important for me to get an idea of what people do/don't/want to know.

2. If you know of any great resources which helped you to understand a chemical concept, a link to that in my inbox would be helpful. While I am pretty darn good at chemistry I am not ALWAYS good at teaching (although I like to think I take a piece-wise, one-concept-into-the-next approach). For this reason it will be helpful for me to check out methods that help people learn about chemistry and those which don't.

3. If you have a piece of chemical literature which you would like "translated" I would be happy to facilitate that. The scope and amount of material I can cover will be limited--I still have studies to pursue--so choose wisely.

As a thank you for helping me here, the fruits of my labor will be released for free (in a thread) here at the farm when it is completed. I'd like to offer, also, to answer any and all questions about chemistry here in this thread. I am more than willing to help those of you with more specific questions on an individual basis as well--as many farmers will certainly attest.

If your question is broad, please post it here so that everyone may share in the discussion. If it is a specific question relating only to your situation, please contact me through the message system.

Thanks!!!

P.S.

Topics open for question in which I have expertise:

Chemistry (my specialization is in organic synthesis--but I am knowledgeable elsewhere)
Biochemistry
Molecular Biology (intermediate)
Physics (intermediate)
Genetics (cursory)

This discussion is not limited to only the act of growing. Extractions, assays, other tests, lighting questions, etc, all apply here.

Be assured, if I am not fairly certain of the answer I am providing you--that I will say as much. It is not my intention to pretend I know more than I do, but rather to share that which I do know.

My inbox is ALSO open to submissions to this document--and as it will be in a thread when released, it will be a living document which can be added to and corrected over time if other information is found.

PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CORRECT ME IF I GET SOMETHING WRONG--THIS PROCESS IS ABOUT FINDING REAL TRUTH, AND REAL EXPERIMENTAL/LITERATURE VALUES THAT ALL FARMERS MAY BENEFIT FROM. THERE IS NO "BEING CORRECT" IN THIS THREAD, THERE IS ONLY "PROVING CORRECTNESS."
Hello i was curious about a plant i grew... Well it turned black and was wondering if i grow again will the same color show again or if i were to seed whats the chances?

KiLoEleMeNt

KiLoEleMeNt

You are asking the wrong person about this topic. I feel it would be better placed in the breeders section as this is a plant trait issue with the genetic line as well as environmental influence not exactly a "chemically" involved occurrence, altho it is a chemical process of plant symbiosis.

F

frostythoe01

You are asking the wrong person about this topic. I feel it would be better placed in the breeders section as this is a plant trait issue with the genetic line as well as environmental influence not exactly a "chemically" involved occurrence, altho it is a chemical process of plant symbiosis.
Thanks sorry new to this

G

GrwrGoneWild

1. If you have a chemistry question--please either post it here. There is no such thing as a stupid question, if its something you want to know and don't, there is a high degree of certainty which says there are many people out there who are in that same situation. I want this guide to help all growers, beginning and expert, so its important for me to get an idea of what people do/don't/want to know.

Would you mind looking at this formula?

Reversing Formula, to make pollen from females.

Silver Nitrate + Sodium Thiosulfate Pentahydrate, in H20.

.5 Grams of silver nitrate in 1000ml water. (Part A)
3.9 Grams of sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate dissolved in 1000ml water. (Part B)

Mixed A+B 1:1, then diluted with 9 parts water 1:9.

Would you mind balancing the equation, I would like to see what kind of products are created with the two.

Second part of the question, could you show how ethelyene is suppressed with silver?.

Kygiacomo

Kygiacomo

Hey squiggly i have a request. i have a 32oz bottle of E'zwet-SE from grow more. i have emailed the company and i have yet to get a response. the directions say ezwet can be sprayed at the" rate of 0.25% to 2.0% volume/volume. best wetting is achieved with good coverage in 50-100 gallons per acre." how much of this would i need to use in ML in 1 liter of spray? thanks i know this isnt a chemisty question so hopefully u can still help me out. thanks

G

GrwrGoneWild

Hey squiggly i have a request. i have a 32oz bottle of E'zwet-SE from grow more. i have emailed the company and i have yet to get a response. the directions say ezwet can be sprayed at the" rate of 0.25% to 2.0% volume/volume. best wetting is achieved with good coverage in 50-100 gallons per acre." how much of this would i need to use in ML in 1 liter of spray? thanks i know this isnt a chemisty question so hopefully u can still help me out. thanks

I can help you. This is typical pesticide application math.

1 liter is 1000 ml.

1000 x 1.0 = 1000
1000 x .98 = 980
1000 - 980= 20ml
980 ml water + 20 ml ezwet = 1000 ml solution.
20ml for 2% solution of ezwet.

100-.25 = 99.75
1000 x .9975 = 997.5
997.5-1000 = 2.5
2.5 ml ezwet + 997.5ml water = 1000ml solution
2.5ml for 0.25% volume solution of ezwet.

Should be right.. double check my math.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Why does veg spectrum light produce more trichomes and terpines than flower spectrum light with a lower yield?

Is there a sweet spot for Kelvin temp or combination of different color bulbs that maximizes terp/trichomes production while also maximizing yield?

Kygiacomo

Kygiacomo

I can help you. This is typical pesticide application math.

1 liter is 1000 ml.

1000 x 1.0 = 1000
1000 x .98 = 980
1000 - 980= 20ml
980 ml water + 20 ml ezwet = 1000 ml solution.
20ml for 2% solution of ezwet.

100-.25 = 99.75
1000 x .9975 = 997.5
997.5-1000 = 2.5
2.5 ml ezwet + 997.5ml water = 1000ml solution
2.5ml for 0.25% volume solution of ezwet.

Should be right.. double check my math.
thanks so much brother! im a math dummy lol the only thing i can add is my money =)

Gravity

Gravity

I'm currently growing at 28N 80W. We have high humidity, high temps, & a fair amount of rain from time to time. This seems to bring out the dreaded spider mites. My question is, will adding neem to my top layer of soil help prevent the spider mites in the first place?

treeratt59

treeratt59

For the past year or so in my free time I have been compiling some useful chemistry information (and underlying concepts) as it regards cultivation--cannabis in particular (where I'm able to find specifics). I plan to really kick this project into high gear for this year, hoping to have something broad and publishable by the end of 2013.

In the mean time I have a few requests of you guys:

2. If you know of any great resources which helped you to understand a chemical concept, a link to that in my inbox would be helpful. While I am pretty darn good at chemistry I am not ALWAYS good at teaching (although I like to think I take a piece-wise, one-concept-into-the-next approach). For this reason it will be helpful for me to check out methods that help people learn about chemistry and those which don't.

3. If you have a piece of chemical literature which you would like "translated" I would be happy to facilitate that. The scope and amount of material I can cover will be limited--I still have studies to pursue--so choose wisely.

As a thank you for helping me here, the fruits of my labor will be released for free (in a thread) here at the farm when it is completed. I'd like to offer, also, to answer any and all questions about chemistry here in this thread. I am more than willing to help those of you with more specific questions on an individual basis as well--as many farmers will certainly attest.

If your question is broad, please post it here so that everyone may share in the discussion. If it is a specific question relating only to your situation, please contact me through the message system.

Thanks!!!

P.S.

Topics open for question in which I have expertise:

Chemistry (my specialization is in organic synthesis--but I am knowledgeable elsewhere)
Biochemistry
Molecular Biology (intermediate)
Physics (intermediate)
Genetics (cursory)

This discussion is not limited to only the act of growing. Extractions, assays, other tests, lighting questions, etc, all apply here.

Be assured, if I am not fairly certain of the answer I am providing you--that I will say as much. It is not my intention to pretend I know more than I do, but rather to share that which I do know.

My inbox is ALSO open to submissions to this document--and as it will be in a thread when released, it will be a living document which can be added to and corrected over time if other information is found.

PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO CORRECT ME IF I GET SOMETHING WRONG--THIS PROCESS IS ABOUT FINDING REAL TRUTH, AND REAL EXPERIMENTAL/LITERATURE VALUES THAT ALL FARMERS MAY BENEFIT FROM. THERE IS NO "BEING CORRECT" IN THIS THREAD, THERE IS ONLY "PROVING CORRECTNESS."
Hi Squig, I have two questions actually. First is will ( Auto's ) cuttings act like normal cuttings, or are they doomed to failure from the beginning? I took the cuttings from the lower branches a few days before I expected the Auto cycle to begin. I have never tried Auto's before but always like new things. Chang is good. I know I will find out eventually, I'm curious they will still be Auto's. 2nd question is, somewhere in the recess's of my mind I seem to remember reading something about a Hermaphrodite which self pollinates will always produce Female seeds, Is this correct? Thanks Squig

K

kolah

The Squiggman has checked out. Possibly some where on the island of Alcatraz.

Top Bottom