If you have chemistry questions....

• Thread starter squiggly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
squiggly

squiggly

This is why I recommend using something like Jacks. The truth is by the time you put the work in and order everything up, you're going way beyond the cost of just buying a premix. Worse yet, those companies can usually source all the stuff needed MUCH cheaper due to volume--and usually in higher purity/quality.

It's a bit like reinventing the wheel to do this, not that I caution you against it or anything. Just for me its not worth the trouble by a long shot, and that's considering that I can do most of these calculations and crap pretty easily. I just don't favor spending extra money AND time to get functionally the same product, potentially with a shittier quality.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Fry see what you did there1

plumbum

plumbum

This is why I recommend using something like Jacks. The truth is by the time you put the work in and order everything up, you're going way beyond the cost of just buying a premix. Worse yet, those companies can usually source all the stuff needed MUCH cheaper due to volume--and usually in higher purity/quality.

It's a bit like reinventing the wheel to do this, not that I caution you against it or anything. Just for me its not worth the trouble by a long shot, and that's considering that I can do most of these calculations and crap pretty easily. I just don't favor spending extra money AND time to get functionally the same product, potentially with a shittier quality.

i hear you.. for me though, the reinventing of the wheel part is fun.. who knows, i might get it round at some point..

cc503

cc503

hey so ive been reading that vitamin C will neautralize chloramine in water and its like 30 bucks for for 5 pounds of it, so for brewing tea 5 gallons of ro isnt that big of a deal but for regular feeding to keep those bennies alive would it make sense to put some vit c in the tap water instead of using ro water ?Would there be any negative consequences to this? and then would how much would you need to use roughly to treat 100 gallons in your estimation? thanks

squiggly

squiggly

hey so ive been reading that vitamin C will neautralize chloramine in water and its like 30 bucks for for 5 pounds of it, so for brewing tea 5 gallons of ro isnt that big of a deal but for regular feeding to keep those bennies alive would it make sense to put some vit c in the tap water instead of using ro water ?Would there be any negative consequences to this? and then would how much would you need to use roughly to treat 100 gallons in your estimation? thanks

Studying for my last final ever right now, but will gladly answer this tomorrow evening sometime.

Muckman420

Muckman420

O.k. I got one for ya buddy:

When harvesting herb, which I have been fortunate enough to do a few times in my life ;), I have noticed that a lot seems to happen to the quality of the plant post harvest. Example, I have noticed quite a difference in taste and high when trimming my herb wet as opposed to letting the herb hang dry for 2-3 weeks, when done the latter the herb is far superior imo. So not to start argument here over personal belief but from a strictly scientific pov: can there be a chemical change in the plant post harvest that could be adversely affected if trimmed or "bruised" while wet?

Hope this is not too simple of a question for you, I know what I like from my experience but I am curious if science can back up my theory.
I read somewhere, if you trim the plant of leaves before you start the cureing process excess chlorophyll gets on the buds and causes like a hay or raspy smoke, keeping the leaves on for 5-6 days while hang drying brings more sugars to the buds while the chlorophyll dissipates... Sounded pretty damn good so I'll run with it, I have noticed the same thing you noticed.

colostoney

colostoney

dmt extraction? 101 lmao I alreadyknow but wanted to see ya got anything easier

T

TeterPosh

Great thread, thanks squiggly (and others) for your time and knowledge.

shaggyballs

shaggyballs

Well potassium sillicate is going to totally dissolve. So that's going to leave u with a bunch of SiO3 in solution.

This is going to form metasilicic acid H2SiO3.

this substance has pKa(1)=9.66 and pKa(2)=11.8

Enter the Henderson-Hesselbalch equation:

Henderson-Hasselbalch.gif

So let's assume pH of 7.

7 - 9.66 = log10([A-]/[HA])

-2.66 = log10([A-]/[HA])

10^-2.66 = [A-]/[HA]

[A-]/[HA] = 0.0021877

In other words, most of this stuff is going to stay in the form H2SiO3. the ratio of HSiO3- to H2SiO3 is 0.0021877.

This is assuming full solubility in water.

The more basic your initial pH, the more soluble the stuff will be. That's pretty much what the result is here. For extremely dilute concentrations you can assume full solubility (and that's how we would've come by these pKa numbers).

Hope that helps.

Hey sqiuggly
This is great information above, thank you!
I was hoping you could answer a few more tough questions?

What is the mechanism (not the effect) behind stabilised silicic acid formulations?
- Why is ortho-silicic acid more stable under basic than acidic conditions?
- Does an aqueous solution of silicates (e.g. sodium or potassium) form organo-silicon compounds for example with carbohydrates?
- What can he tell me about the equilibrium (in water) between free silicic acid, 'colloidal' silicic acid, and amorphous 'silica' as well as its role in bioavailability?

Silicate is a tough nut to crack, can you help clear up this mystery?

Shag

shaggyballs

shaggyballs

Hey squiggly (I am sorry for the mis-spelling) no way to edit.
I hope I did not offend ya!, I am just all thumbs!
So to ask again kindly:

This is great information above, thank you!
I was hoping you could answer a few more tough questions?

What is the mechanism (not the effect) behind stabilised silicic acid formulations?
- Why is ortho-silicic acid more stable under basic than acidic conditions?
- Does an aqueous solution of silicates (e.g. sodium or potassium) form organo-silicon compounds for example with carbohydrates?
- What can he tell me about the equilibrium (in water) between free silicic acid, 'colloidal' silicic acid, and amorphous 'silica' as well as its role in bioavailability?

Silicate is a tough nut to crack, can you help clear up this mystery?
Any thing you are able to add would be greatly helpful.
Thanks

Shag

shemshemet

shemshemet

You can do it in water saturated with CO2 (#1) or as you suggest you can use strong acids to dissolve it (#2). Functionally this ends up being the same as CuCl2 though as HCl is your only real option you'd have access to. You could use nitric but then you'll end up at a 1:1 Ca/N ratio.

1. CaCO3 + CO2 + H2O → Ca(HCO3)2

2. CaCO3(s) + 2 HCl(aq) → CaCl2(aq) + CO2(g) + H2O(l)

Related to this, how about Citric Acid? I use citric acid to neutralize Calcium carbonate in my tap water. I've noticed a gradual lowering of the pH in my soil solution, since I have been using citric acid consistantly. The citric acid should neutralize the Ca to a form the plants can use. AND you won't be adding any nutritional value.

Look up soil alkalinity (NOT the same as soil pH) it is the buildup of calcium carbonate in the soil medium.

Squig, here is a chemistry question:

If I am using citric acid to neutralize Calcium carbonate in my tap water, will all the citric acid be used up in the chemical process, if I am not bringing my water to 4.2?

I do know:
At a pH of 4.2 ALL alkalinity has been neutralized.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's not the Ca the citric acid is neutralizing. It's the CO3. ;) CO3 comes attached to other molecules, not just Ca, and carbonate hardness can be caused by other forms of carbonates, not just CaCO3. You've got a pretty good suss on the situation though! And the last comment...
I do know:
At a pH of 4.2 ALL alkalinity has been neutralized.
BINGO!

shemshemet

shemshemet

Seamaiden-

Yeah you're right, but to clarify my question:

Will ALL the citric acid always be used until the CaCO3 is neutralized? Or will some citric acid not be used in the process?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
That is a question I cannot answer. In the meantime... (this one's for squigs)

Molar tattoo

oregonized

oregonized

use Potassium Bicarbonate aka Campden tablets...1 tablet will treat up to 80 gallons....

KungFuCinema

KungFuCinema

Hello all, Squiggly here--resident chemistry asshole here at the farm :)
1. If you have a chemistry question--please either post it here. There is no such thing as a stupid question, if its something you want to know and don't, there is a high degree of certainty which says there are many people out there who are in that same situation.

This is an aside to plant chemistry as it relates to growing, but apropos to the effects of psychoactive and pharmaceutical mixtures on physiology.

I happened across some of your comments in a forum on Propranolol and smoking weed. I also have a Propranolol prescription I use for presentations, but since I occasionally panic when smoking potent strains (more heady Sativas that I need for creativity), I was wondering if Propranolol would help that, or kill my high.

Have you done both, and if so, what were the effects?
Cheers, man.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
This is an aside to plant chemistry as it relates to growing, but apropos to the effects of psychoactive and pharmaceutical mixtures on physiology.

I happened across some of your comments in a forum on Propranolol and smoking weed. I also have a Propranolol prescription I use for presentations, but since I occasionally panic when smoking potent strains (more heady Sativas that I need for creativity), I was wondering if Propranolol would help that, or kill my high.

Have you done both, and if so, what were the effects?
Cheers, man.

I take it for anxiety as well, It will NOT effect your high, Will only lower the heart rate.. Thats it :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom