Indoor virgin, wish me luck

• Thread starter electroguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
electroguy

electroguy

Banana for me. Sometimes Strawberry, if it's not too sweet. McDonald's is awful. Five Guy's makes decent burgers and fries for a fast food place, and their shakes are pretty good, that's where I get these domes from. There's also Chik-fil-A, they have domes that have a larger, round hole in the top. It's really too large for giving much humidity, but it is good for seedlings that have stretched too much or weren't deep enough and want to fall over. It props them up, and protects from stem rot because you can water around the outside of the dome only......until you get to adding more soil and feel comfortable that the stem is strong enough and won't get damaged.
I decided to cut some slits in the side of the solo cups this time. Sort of a low budget smart pot.

The_word

The_word

Yes but that's sort of the point for seedlings, they are delicate, some more than others depending on genetics, as you know I'm sure. I do only fluorescent for a week at least, but my current fluorescent is stronger than a T5, but not as intense as the led I don't think. My led doesn't dim, it's just a small one for starting, I'm sure the ones that dim way down are perfectly fine for seedlings as long as they aren't too close.
Yep, I use my dimmable leds through germination without any problems. The temperature is the only problem I sometimes run into

electroguy

electroguy

Are there some seeds that don't want a heating pad? My blueberry og and dogtrap seeds seem to be growing upside down. Maybe head of seed going toward the heat? All the other seeds seem to love it....?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Are there some seeds that don't want a heating pad? My blueberry og and dogtrap seeds seem to be growing upside down. Maybe head of seed going toward the heat? All the other seeds seem to love it....?
no, it’s just confused, you have a light on?
i had a harlequin cbd seed where the root came out through the surface, had to do delicate surgery and turn her around, she turned out beautiful in the end..

electroguy

electroguy

i had a harlequin cbd seed where the root came out through the surface, had to do delicate surgery and turn her around, she turned out beautiful in the end..
Hmmmm. Surgery ehh

CannaGranny

CannaGranny

You
You do know that those seeds have a “butt” on them? This should be planted pointing down. If you can’t figure out which end is the butt, plant them sideways in the hole and they will right themselves as they come up.

electroguy

electroguy

You

You do know that those seeds have a “butt” on them? This should be planted pointing down. If you can’t figure out which end is the butt, plant them sideways in the hole and they will right themselves as they come up.
The pointy side or the side that was attached to the calyx?

electroguy

electroguy

I do have a light on. I performed the surgery on one of the blueberries. Kinda dug out the other one and the 2 dogtraps. Probably too deep, upside down. Cannagranny said there is a butt and it needs to go down, but I'm not sure which end that is

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
I decided to cut some slits in the side of the solo cups this time. Sort of a low budget smart pot.
It seems like the more air flow the better. I used to puncture one tiny hole in the bottom of cups. Why? Like I'm doling out a little bit of air. This is the first time I'm using these pressed peat cups, which is almost like the whole cup is air flow. But if I went with plastic cups (which is just fine), I think now I would puncture many holes in the bottom, bottom sides.......of course, then we can't water quickly and let it start running out, but we shouldn't be watering quickly anyway. Other than flash flood downpours, it doesn't rain a half inch all at once, it's steady, over time. I'm sure I'm overstating it all, it's not rocket science. Fluffy soil, good air flow, a good thorough watering, no dry pockets, oxygen to the roots, let the soil dry out a bit between waterings, don't over water, repeat.

Yeah I gotta do the thing where I try to plant the seeds the right way. They can't all be perfect, and some shifting will occur but might as well give them the best shot. I hate that......when they pop upside-down, and get a rough start.....I'm sure we all do. ;)

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
My cat is an absolute fucker for this. I have nightmares where he somehow gets in. He loves them though whenever I prune I throw him a couple of leaves lol my last grow he ate 3 of the 4 plants after they popped their 2nd set of leaves.
We've had cats that absolutely loved leaves. They would beg, drool, munch......we've also had cats.....Oscar.....he would literally gag when I put a leaf near him. It was hilarious. Then there are cats who seem to not like them at first, but over time start to really dig them. I guess they get used to it and realize over time that they like it.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i feel when it happens it’s because the genetics are not stable as in nature they just fall to the ground and gravity should be telling the root to grow down in search of food..
i’ve never had this happen to any seed from a reputable breeder.. yet anyways.. the harlequin i’ve heard is an unstable strain..
just a thought no science..

electroguy

electroguy

i feel when it happens it’s because the genetics are not stable as in nature they just fall to the ground and gravity should be telling the root to grow down in search of food..
i’ve never had this happen to any seed from a reputable breeder.. yet anyways.. the harlequin i’ve heard is an unstable strain..
just a thought no science..
Thanks.

electroguy

electroguy

How do you know when you have a good root system going enough to transplant?

TSD

TSD

How do you know when you have a good root system going enough to transplant?
Well if you can't see roots coming out the bottom, you can gently flip one upside down with the plant and dirt supported in your hand, slide it out to check out the roots... best done when almost dry, wet soil falls apart, very dry soil does too lol. I'd say yours are probably fine for now... a couple weeks at least ...depending how fast they grow.

electroguy

electroguy

Well if you can't see roots coming out the bottom, you can gently flip one upside down with the plant and dirt supported in your hand, slide it out to check out the roots... best done when almost dry, wet soil falls apart, very dry soil does too lol. I'd say yours are probably fine for now... a couple weeks at least ...depending how fast they grow.
Awesome, thanks so much. This site is full of really helpful super nice people. Thank you so much.

TSD

TSD

Awesome, thanks so much. This site is full of really helpful super nice people. Thank you so much.
You're welcome! Solo cups are nice cause they have vertical space for the roots to use, so that gives you a little more time... and some people straight up flower in them! Just make sure no roots are in the drainage holes if you're going to flip check one... if there are, you know you're close to transplant time... don't want to damage the roots. You can even slice them down one side once you actually transplant to get them out easier if they're stuck.

Top Bottom