Irie Seeds "Orange Gasm" under Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..........

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I noticed the heat as soon as I set it up in the backup room...........I'll never go back, except under these circumstances (as a backup room). No doubt the direct heat under the light cause issues with budding plants.

Now im confused. You run the led room at 82 but you notice the heat from the hps?

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yea, I"m actually shooting for 72-75 there about right now, but 78 would be around my upper limits as well, I think anything above that is counterproductive.

For me, regulating temps can be a real problem. I don't have enough power requirements to run the AC unit on top of my lighting sources at full power, it overloads my electric, so I'm forced to choose between keeping the temps down, and giving the lights a rest, in the summer it's problematic, but the rest of the seasons it's fine.

Reason I ask is most led growers say to keep room in the 80’s even without co2 to cover the lost radiant heat difference from hid parameters. So i fear if i keep my room at the 76-77 it averages i wont be hot enough for the plants to transpire properly.

sshz

sshz

I had no problem maintaining the heat in the room by doing a few things..........

1. opening and closing the door when necessary
2. Manipulating the exhaust system on and off
3. Using the dehumidifier, which puts off a little warm air.
4. Running a high power room fan, to even the temps out

I'm guessing winter time, with cooler temps, will be more challenging...........

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Now im confused. You run the led room at 82 but you notice the heat from the hps?
Its the radiant heat from IR we dont get that with LED so we need to run higher temps. Under HPS you will get very hot leaf temps at the top and the lower will be much cooler. In a sense cooking the tops a lot more under HPS. With LED you get very even leaf themps top to bottom because the room temps are the biggest influence not the amount of IR produced by HPS. If that makes sense

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Its the radiant heat from IR we dont get that with LED so we need to run higher temps. Under HPS you will get very get leaf temps at the top and the lower will be much cooler. In a sense cooking the tops a lot more under HPS. With LED you get very even leaf themps top to bottom because the room temps are the biggest influence not the amount of IR produced by HPS. If that makes sense

Yes i understand. But how will i compensate for a side by side in the same room?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Yes i understand. But how will i compensate for a side by side in the same room?
If you are super worried about it you could blow some hot air over from the hps canopy toward the led canopy. Or from the top of the fixture down or something like that. We are talking 3 degrees here, so it might meaningfully contribute.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Final count for the 13 chopped plants, now weighed and packaged............... 56 oz, 10 grams. so about 4 1/4 oz per plant. If that average maintains for the last 11 plants, I'd end up with 102 oz. Unbelievable!
Wow thats close to a 45% increase to yields over your previous best no?

sshz

sshz

No..... previous best was 78-79 I believe, but I've hit in the 70's 6 or 7 times. I normally do just over 2 lbs per HPS, so figuring my average is 66-67 oz. lifetime. Off the high, 102 now vs. 79 my high- that would be a 22% increase off my best if my math is correct. But off my average, that would be a 34% increase (102 vs. 67).......... In all, it adds up to alot of bonus money and I won't be running low on gummies any time soon.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
No..... previous best was 78-79 I believe, but I've hit in the 70's 6 or 7 times. I normally do just over 2 lbs per HPS, so figuring my average is 66-67 oz. lifetime. Off the high, 102 now vs. 79 my high- that would be a 22% increase off my best if my math is correct. But off my average, that would be a 34% increase (102 vs. 67).......... In all, it adds up to alot of bonus money and I won't be running low on gummies any time soon.
Two things that are good contributors toward a happy few months :-)

Moshmen

Moshmen

Just so I got this straight you do 2 elbows in a 4x4 floor space and a 1000hps ? And you have 2 of those - now you currently in the same space with the gavita 1700, right ?

sshz

sshz

The HPS were in another room, shaped a little differently......but essentially, both types of lights were under the same approx. space. What's important here, and the big difference between my previous grows- is the plants stayed short under the LED's with a very uniform canopy. This made all the difference in the world IMO. The lack of heat put off by the LED's enabled me to keep the lights very close and the light is dispersed very uniformly so the edges of the room looked as nice as the center- I can't say that about the HPS grows.

Last edited:
sshz

sshz

Smoke report......... feeling a bit under the weather today, as I wrenched my back so it's a perfect day to hit the pipe with some hash. As the hash and pot continue to dry and cure, it's getting better and better.

It's definitely a "bright' high............all in the eyes and head, it's pretty potent and I expect it to get better and better over the next few weeks. It did take my mind off the back pain. The pot has a very interesting smell, a thick and deep danky stink but not orange or tangerine. When I rub the stems, I get the citrus/grapefruit a lot, but the buds themselves, along with the taste- is much more developed like a fine dark beer. Skunky, but even deeper than that is my final comment.

The remaining 7 plants are doing well and continue to make a slow progress. As I've said- I'm running the light 10 on, 14 off and I'm reducing the amount of water I give them and also the frequency. Either Friday or Saturday I'm taking them all down no matter what at day 78-79 flowering. Buds are big though, I'm curious about the high on these Golden Goat leners, which I expect will be stronger than the earlier plants.

At this point, I think my final weight will be between 100-102 oz in the end............ I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It's a lot more work on the back end too- trimming, finding room to dry it all, packaging it all up, etc., etc. I'll start the Sweet Zombie's over the weekend.........

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Smoke report......... feeling a bit under the weather today, as I wrenched my back so it's a perfect day to hit the pipe with some hash. As the hash and pot continue to dry and cure, it's getting better and better.

It's definitely a "bright' high............all in the eyes and head, it's pretty potent and I expect it to get better and better over the next few weeks. It did take my mind off the back pain. The pot has a very interesting smell, a thick and deep danky stink but not orange or tangerine. When I rub the stems, I get the citrus/grapefruit a lot, but the buds themselves, along with the taste- is much more developed like a fine dark beer. Skunky, but even deeper than that is my final comment.

The remaining 7 plants are doing well and continue to make a slow progress. As I've said- I'm running the light 10 on, 14 off and I'm reducing the amount of water I give them and also the frequency. Either Friday or Saturday I'm taking them all down no matter what at day 78-79 flowering. Buds are big though, I'm curious about the high on these Golden Goat leners, which I expect will be stronger than the earlier plants.

At this point, I think my final weight will be between 100-102 oz in the end............ I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. It's a lot more work on the back end too- trimming, finding room to dry it all, packaging it all up, etc., etc. I'll start the Sweet Zombie's over the weekend.........
I am happy the high is not a dud. I know you were concerned. I know it's not your fav but definitely not a dud like some of the strains you called out earlier. Right?

sshz

sshz

I'm still really curious how these do with taller plants vs HPS.

Great show man. Seems you found a killer combo.

I'm assuming you mean the LED's with taller strains????? If so, the Orange Gasm is a fairly tall strain as it's over 80% sativa and the Golden Goat parent gets very tall. I'm thinking I could grow a haze with these and keep it very manageable. What's funny is I've been thinking about how to make the Sweet Zombie TALLER, not shorter. LOL I'll be playing with the LED's height early in flowering (keeping it higher than the last grow) hoping to coax a bit more height out of them.......Also, maybe some additional veg time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom