Irie Seeds "Orange Gasm" under Gavita Pro 1700e LED's..........

• Thread starter sshz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
And when you add up all those diodes it does add up. Plus the cooling for the higher wattage diodes is a nightmare

Yes, as wasted energy. Think small.

Heat and light are different but they are both forms of energy. Heat is a form of kinetic energy contained in the random motion of the particles of a material. Light is a form of electromagnetic energy. ... The higher the temperature of the object, the shorter the wavelength of the EM radiation

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
That plastic is going to reduce efficiency/output by atleast 10% i would think.
Yup, I would take them off and spray the whole unit with conformal silicone, rendering them water impervious, and has good heat transfer. It's got a clear coating, so maybe 1-2% loss, at most, probably less.

I would probably hang these types, it' makes the most sense, and remove the housings for better heat dissipation, smaller footprint, and completely waterproofed. Make sure you've got diodes pointing all directions with the center ones, and let the ones on the edges go one or two directions like a reverse v notch, plants on both sides.

IMG 20200828 221116
Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
would look like this from above. V are lights, P plants. Arrows are light direction.

IMG 20200828 222408
sshz

sshz

You know, I would have thought some thing called "Orange Gasm" would have shown some orange by now???? WTF

I smell nothing but grapefruit. I'm hoping it comes on at the end or with the cure.....or maybe it should have been called "Grapefruit Gasm"......

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
You know, I would have thought some thing called "Orange Gasm" would have shown some orange by now???? WTF

I smell nothing but grapefruit. I'm hoping it comes on at the end or with the cure.....or maybe it should have been called "Grapefruit Gasm"......
Doesn't sound as good to some people, I suspect. Grapefruit is a plus from where I'm standing. Orange and Lemon tones are are cool, but Grapefruit is really getting exotic, I really like the idea actually. But I think I'm an outlier.

I've got 2 grape apes as seedlings, there chugging along. Actually, I just remembered something. I had 3 plants, and they got mixed up, so 2 of these are grape ape, and one of them is Sour apple Diesel cookies. I don't know which are which, but it's 2 GP and 1 SADC LOL, look at those roots popping, these need changing again already.

IMG 20200829 021144
IMG 20200829 021215
IMG 20200829 021332
Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Yea, I think 2-3 watts diodes are the most efficient at close range, but at farther ranges you'll want 10-20 watts, I suspect, better penetration. But efficiency suffers, so there's probably a sweet spot depending upon engineering specifications.

The Samsung LM301H is fired at 0.2 watts (what is considered 2 watts by Asian standards) My units are using what they consider a 10 watt double filament Epistar LM301C driven at 0.6 watts each, so more reach, power, but not quite the level of efficiency.
Why would wattage have anything to do with penetration? As far as I know, it's an essentially useless number if you have ppfd. Plants don't absorb energy from light. They capture photons and turn it into sugar. I know you know this, but my point is however you get to an intensity at canopy height, that's your intensity at that point. It will degrade over distance at the same rate regardless. The only thing that higher energy diodes might get you is more hotspots.

From the photon rain at the canopy, the only thing that should matter imo is absorbtion rate, which is tied to spectrum. And spectrum is why some lights get better penetration than others, why hps with its band of green goes deeper than blurples, and why @sshz is seeing more penetration than he did with hps. It's why the sun penetrates better (with far red especially). I simply don't think it's only intensity. You can max out intensity for a plant at the canopy and still not see the same penetration as the sun.

If I'm wrong, please tell me. I just don't understand the proposed mechanism here. Obviously you see mine (it's based on the bugbee videos I have posted on here mostly).

sshz

sshz

Contest picks, if I missed you, please let me know...........entries close 9/1.

SSHZ 66
Frankster 67
MadMax 70
Moshmen 72
MIMedGrown 73
Dr.Green55 75
BurnzYzBudZz 77
Milson 78
Aquaman 82
NorCalChris 88
TheShortAnswer 89

11K thread hits and we have 11 guesses..........LOL

76 is the average, 75 is the mean.

Norcalchris

Norcalchris

Let's go double 8!! Happy to hear your honest smell review. I may try to find tangie or tangelope for that super citrus nose.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Why would wattage have anything to do with penetration? As far as I know, it's an essentially useless number if you have ppfd. Plants don't absorb energy from light. They capture photons and turn it into sugar. I know you know this, but my point is however you get to an intensity at canopy height, that's your intensity at that point. It will degrade over distance at the same rate regardless. The only thing that higher energy diodes might get you is more hotspots.

From the photon rain at the canopy, the only thing that should matter imo is absorbtion rate, which is tied to spectrum. And spectrum is why some lights get better penetration than others, why hps with its band of green goes deeper than blurples, and why @sshz is seeing more penetration than he did with hps. It's why the sun penetrates better (with far red especially). I simply don't think it's only intensity. You can max out intensity for a plant at the canopy and still not see the same penetration as the sun.

If I'm wrong, please tell me. I just don't understand the proposed mechanism here. Obviously you see mine (it's based on the bugbee videos I have posted on here mostly).
Because the energy is more focused. Like a garden hose. If you have it set to mist or jet kinda or a flashlight set to wide angle or narrow.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Because the energy is more focused. Like a garden hose. If you have it set to mist or jet kinda or a flashlight set to wide angle or narrow.
Light all moves at the same speed in this context though. The only thing that matters is photon density and direction. If you are saying the photon density is de facto greater then I guess that makes sense, but then that shows up in ppfd. If you are saying the angle is pointed by a lens at a point beyond the canopy.....honestly I just don't understand what you mean.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Light all moves at the same speed in this context though. The only thing that matters is photon density and direction. If you are saying the photon density is de facto greater then I guess that makes sense, but then that shows up in ppfd. If you are saying the angle is pointed by a lens at a point beyond the canopy.....honestly I just don't understand what you mean.
No it has to do with direction of the light. You lose alot of light as it spreads. when its more focused then you don't lose as much but also creates hot spots. Bassically the lens is the issue but it goes hand in hand kinda. Higher wattage led tend to have a narrower lens. I think the gavitas are 120 degree? But the closer you get a light the less light is lost overall. If that makes sense.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
No it has to do with direction of the light. You lose alot of light as it spreads. when its more focused then you don't lose as much but also creates hot spots. Bassically the lens is the issue but it goes hand in hand kinda. Higher wattage led tend to have a narrower lens. I think the gavitas are 120 degree? But the closer you get a light the less light is lost overall. If that makes sense.
Yes, that does as it's direction. So essentially you're saying it is not practical to generate enough photon density from smaller diodes when the light is placed higher?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes, that does as it's direction. So essentially you're saying it is not practical to generate enough photon density from smaller diodes when the light is placed higher?
Yes because those smaller diodes usually come along with a wider angle lens

Anthem

Anthem

I seen something today that was written by the jungle boys, this is just the jif of what they were saying so not my opinion, they said in smaller rooms, or lower ceiling, shorter more compacted plants , that kinds thing, LED's were great and the way to go , but for bigger more open rooms . higher ceiling and taller plants he said DE HPS hands down, He said they tried LEDs multiple brands including Gavitas He said they had to used more fixtures and in the end was using the same amount of watts or more, and in his opinion, the final product was as nice. but he seem clear smaller rooms plants etc LEDs were the way to go .
The odd thing I see about this subject is that you see large professional grows with high ceilings running 2 or 3 levels of leds and plants. From my experience there is no way 1 level of 1000 DE's can out perform 2 levels of Fluenc Spyders 2i that are designed for this application.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
The odd thing I see about this subject is that you see large professional grows with high ceilings running 2 or 3 levels of leds and plants. From my experience there is no way 1 level of 1000 DE's can out perform 2 levels of Fluenc Spyders 2i that are designed for this application.
Was wondering that too and assuming I was missing something so shutting up.

sshz

sshz

Taurid's been added........

SSHZ 66
Frankster 67
MadMax 70
Moshmen 72
MIMedGrown 73
Taurid 74
Dr.Green55 75
BurnzYzBudZz 77
Milson 78