Is curing in jars bullshit and a way to justify wrongly dryd buds

• Thread starter Dai
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

joeyz

Dont cure it if you dont want to.
Unless you actually try other ways, how would you even know?

After I cut down, I remove all leaf that isn't covered I crystal. Then I hang it for 8 to 10 days. After the outside is crispy and seemingly dry. I put it in a jar and sweat it.

Opening the jar and moving the buds around twice a day let's the moisture out and keeps the buds from drying out too fast. A jar isn't needed. So.e people use buckets. Some use bags. Some savages just hang it and smoke it.

I've done all of them. And I can tell you (and anyone else who's actually done it will too) that the bud does get better as it cures. It tastes better every day, up till about 2 weeks. Then it doesn't change much.
Dont cure it if you dont want to.
Unless you actually try other ways, how would you even know?

After I cut down, I remove all leaf that isn't covered I crystal. Then I hang it for 8 to 10 days. After the outside is crispy and seemingly dry. I put it in a jar and sweat it.

Opening the jar and moving the buds around twice a day let's the moisture out and keeps the buds from drying out too fast. A jar isn't needed. So.e people use buckets. Some use bags. Some savages just hang it and smoke it.

I've done all of them. And I can tell you (and anyone else who's actually done it will too) that the bud does get better as it cures. It tastes better every day, up till about 2 weeks. Then it doesn't change much.

Some savages just hang it and smoke it. Who’s doin that??? Maaannnnn......
Hahahaha thanks for the laugh tonight bro. That comment was gold.

S

Straincrzy

I wrote that post to get some good growers and people with knowledge of growing I needed all you guys I'm looking for a most potent most tastiest strain there is can anyone help me please
I personally love the Taste of blue dream and it's high THC. Having said that I'm growing a heavy Sativa called Insane 4 the Membrain. I'll report back after harvest rumor is it can hit 30 percent THC

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Well if it was shit it wouldn't get q. C passed would it

There is no "quality" control in legal grows in CO. The only thing you have to pass is a mold/spore test and a pesticide test (which is a whole different conversation). When the quality is so low not even the people that actually buy disp weed wouldn't smoke it it all gets run into hash. They don't jar their product cause they have no time to. You are talking 600 disp in just the Denver area. When you pull down 50/100 lbs out of a warehouse every 1-2 weeks it's put into the disp and gone. No offence or anything but people who buy weed from a disp prob aren't that concerned with the ultimate quality of what they are smoking. Out of 120 people that come in 1 might be a head. The other 119 people want prerolls or the cheapest oz they can buy. Don't forget the baller oz you would want to smoke in a disp are gonna be $250 plus. I have never seen a single disp that has run out of a strain then is out of it for 2 months while they are waiting for it to cure in a jar to put back on a shelf to sell. That just doesn't happen. Not to mention if you just hang whole plants here it will be fully dry in like 3 days unless you are controlling it which is bad.

I don't think when you are talking about proper curing and techniques the legal market should even get mentioned. This is more for the head side of the crowd who are actually growing.

Big weight goes in turkey bags or buckets. Personal goes in jars. Drying has as much to do with it as the jars do. Also wet trimming vs dry trimming will also effect it a lot more before the jars/bags/buckets as far as loss of smell/flav in the jar/bag/bucket. Why i haven't wet trimmed in years.

R

RLB

I've never jard it and it's tasty and buzzing asf everytime. I believe people who say they're stuff needs to be cured they just use it as an excuse to justify they're wrongly dryd cannabis which smells like hay because the chlorophyll has absorbed on to the plant because people believe not to have a fan blowing lightly on the buds but I believe by having it blowing over the plants lightly so they moving a little bit so it evaporates the chlorophyll from the plant instead of it absorbing into the plant where they are just hanging with no air being blown through them
Anyone ever try freeze curing?

S

Straincrzy

Thats not why I do it. I read many articles from many grow sites so I started doing it and I like the result but I have time to do it so. Plus when I'm done it's jarred. Just to be clear I don't improperly dry I don't get a hay smell and I'm not suggesting anybody take my advise. I'm 53 been doing it for some time and that's my style

BigCube

BigCube

There is no "quality" control in legal grows in CO. The only thing you have to pass is a mold/spore test and a pesticide test (which is a whole different conversation). When the quality is so low not even the people that actually buy disp weed wouldn't smoke it it all gets run into hash. They don't jar their product cause they have no time to. You are talking 600 disp in just the Denver area. When you pull down 50/100 lbs out of a warehouse every 1-2 weeks it's put into the disp and gone. No offence or anything but people who buy weed from a disp prob aren't that concerned with the ultimate quality of what they are smoking. Out of 120 people that come in 1 might be a head. The other 119 people want prerolls or the cheapest oz they can buy. Don't forget the baller oz you would want to smoke in a disp are gonna be $250 plus. I have never seen a single disp that has run out of a strain then is out of it for 2 months while they are waiting for it to cure in a jar to put back on a shelf to sell. That just doesn't happen. Not to mention if you just hang whole plants here it will be fully dry in like 3 days unless you are controlling it which is bad.

I don't think when you are talking about proper curing and techniques the legal market should even get mentioned. This is more for the head side of the crowd who are actually growing.

Big weight goes in turkey bags or buckets. Personal goes in jars. Drying has as much to do with it as the jars do. Also wet trimming vs dry trimming will also effect it a lot more before the jars/bags/buckets as far as loss of smell/flav in the jar/bag/bucket. Why i haven't wet trimmed in years.

Depends on where you live. Most of the dispensaries here have good stuff. You have to pay more for it, but they have it.

I still prefer my own of course.

Ace9137

Ace9137

Depends on where you live. Most of the dispensaries here have good stuff. You have to pay more for it, but they have it.

I still prefer my own of course.
I have a buddy that goes to Colorado, he will bring back some good stuff, he is dying to know where I get mine though😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Back in the earlier 70s , the big "trick" was freezing the buds. Nobody really knew why they were doing it other than they had heard of someone else doing it. This was before there was instant info available online. There was no online and no good sources for reference. There was also a CO2/Dry Ice treatment that didn't have much success either. Most of the buds were so lousy that the dealers would spray them down with apple cider to give them a sticky feel and improve the taste and smell. It sucked but was one of many urban canna-legends at the time.
From the fridge dried buds that I just pulled out of the Frigidaire, the taste is actually better than some of my previously cured buds. I was expecting a lot harsher of a taste since these were not cured at all, just dried in the fridge. Maybe it's because it dried so slowly, but the taste is great and without the hay taste. As much as I hate to say it, but I might re-consider my drying/curing process after 30+ years. I really liked the taste and effects, even though I have always maintained that buds increase in potency after a month in jars. I plan on jarring the dried buds, but they will be smokable dry before they hit the jars, preventing on any further curing or drying.

Ace9137

Ace9137

Back in the earlier 70s , the big "trick" was freezing the buds. Nobody really knew why they were doing it other than they had heard of someone else doing it. This was before there was instant info available online. There was no online and no good sources for reference. There was also a CO2/Dry Ice treatment that didn't have much success either. Most of the buds were so lousy that the dealers would spray them down with apple cider to give them a sticky feel and improve the taste and smell. It sucked but was one of many urban canna-legends at the time.
From the fridge dried buds that I just pulled out of the Frigidaire, the taste is actually better than some of my previously cured buds. I was expecting a lot harsher of a taste since these were not cured at all, just dried in the fridge. Maybe it's because it dried so slowly, but the taste is great and without the hay taste. As much as I hate to say it, but I might re-consider my drying/curing process after 30+ years. I really liked the taste and effects, even though I have always maintained that buds increase in potency after a month in jars. I plan on jarring the dried buds, but they will be smokable dry before they hit the jars, preventing on any further curing or drying.
Remember water curing, it was horrible, some people actually liked it though.

S

Straincrzy

The post was written to get our attention. He wants to know what’s the most potent strain. That’s a loaded question and one that simply cannot be answered. Everyone is different. What I like others might hate and vice versa. You need to find what works for you or your customers if that’s your goal. Simply testing the percentage in a lab will not tell you how it will affect your brains cannibinoid receptors. Usually the most potent strains are also the least desirable due to other qualities it lacks.

When you drink do you go straight for grain alcohol or do you drink beer and wine? Very similar. Young teenagers who have something to prove want the strongest stuff, the rest of us just want to enjoy ourselves.
I've got time and quantity and many varieties I'd be willing to test that out if you could give me specifics

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've got time and quantity and many varieties I'd be willing to test that out if you could give me specifics
Which specifics were you inquiring about? A quick search on CO2 drying or curing should turn up a bunch of stuff. It is just using a very dry environment to suck the water out of the buds. Drying in the freezer does the same thing but takes longer. I am trying a slow dry in a refrigerator and have had great results, although I will still age them in jars. After a few weeks in the Frigidaire, they came out almost perfect and ready for smoking at that point. I am going to allow a slight amount more of water to be removed, then put into jars to see how they finish using the fridge method of drying.

RippedTorn

RippedTorn

If you dont make hash or vaporize you probably don't know what you're talking about at all. Most modern grower's bud isn't quality enough to taste through combustion. Low Brix garbage.

If you grow hydro you have no idea what curing is. Might as well keep your bud in the fridge,it ain't gonna improve with time,there's no metabolites endophytes or enzymes to facilitate a cure.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If you dont make hash or vaporize you probably don't know what you're talking about at all. Most modern grower's bud isn't quality enough to taste through combustion. Low Brix garbage.

If you grow hydro you have no idea what curing is. Might as well keep your bud in the fridge,it ain't gonna improve with time,there's no metabolites endophytes or enzymes to facilitate a cure.

Lol. You keep saying this crap. You must grow some extra special magical bud. I only wish i had your experience and knowledge. ;-)

Oh wait! You have never shown any evidence or links to any information. Just your opinion and blanket statements.

I agree commercial bud usually sucks. But only because its grown in mass, overfed and usually cut too early. Often just the popular strain of the month. And never long slow dried and cured.
And the most potent, stinkiest, long lasting and delicious bud i have smoked was skunk 6 hydro grown in a mountain house in colorado about 20-25 years ago.

I bet nothing you have ever seen could touch it from your comments.

I choose a hybrid style myself. The grower and environment is more important than method.

Thanks for posting.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Lol. You keep saying this crap. You must grow some extra special magical bud. I only wish i had your experience and knowledge. ;-)

Oh wait! You have never shown any evidence or links to any information. Just your opinion and blanket statements.

I agree commercial bud usually sucks. But only because its grown in mass, overfed and usually cut too early. Often just the popular strain of the month. And never long slow dried and cured.
And the most potent, stinkiest, long lasting and delicious bud i have smoked was skunk 6 hydro grown in a mountain house in colorado about 20-25 years ago.

I bet nothing you have ever seen could touch it from your comments.

I choose a hybrid style myself. The grower and environment is more important than method.

Thanks for posting.
I don't usually like to blow my own horn about what I know or don't know, or how good my buds are or aren't. More importantly, I don't dismiss anyone's grow or products unless I have tried them for myself. I agree that most newer strains don't have the variety that the old strains had, but that certainly doesn't mean that good buds aren't still being grown, or that they aren't being dried or cured properly.
I've been using pretty much the same growing and drying methods that I've used for the last 35 years or so, and the drying and aging methods are very important in determining the end taste. It won't turn garbage into gold, but it can easily turn gold into garbage. I prefer to offer advice to improve peoples grows, not to dismiss them as being less experienced and clueless. Providing help is a lot more beneficial than kicking someone around when they are only trying to get as smart as yourself. I'd be honored that someone thought enough of my opinion to ask for help.

Top Bottom