Is curing in jars bullshit and a way to justify wrongly dryd buds

• Thread starter Dai
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ace9137

Ace9137

Most of what Ace seeds has will rock you, I love pyramid seeds Tutankahmen as well, then there is Jack Herer, you want solid crops, those would be your best bets. You wanna know something just straight out ask, Curing is done while drying, storing in jars is just preservation, with slow drying you are not really doing any good with bacteria, molds, fungus that possibly form, usually just drying in paper bags are sufficient.

az2000

az2000

How long to dry, and how air-tight the curing should be (zip lock vs mason jar) depends on the grower's climate. I'm in the desert and if I didn't jar, the buds would be crispy dry (10% RH) in no time. I can't even hang dry very long because the outside becomes crispy, and the center is wet. I have to moderate the drying process using Sterlite plastic bins which aren't airtight. And then straight into jars.

After I reach 62-65% for 3-4 weeks, I use one of those vacuum sealing lid-covers to suck the air out. I have vacuum sealed buds (in jars) that have been curing that way for 5-6 years.

Anyway, I think people should qualify their "this is how I do it" posts with more info about their climate. When I first grew, I thought drying/curing would be as simple as following what I read others doing. (If I posted how I do it without mentioning my climate, someone in Florida could lose an entire crop to mold if they followed my process.).

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

How long to dry, and how air-tight the curing should be (zip lock vs mason jar) depends on the grower's climate. I'm in the desert and if I didn't jar, the buds would be crispy dry (10% RH) in no time. I can't even hang dry very long because the outside becomes crispy, and the center is wet. I have to moderate the drying process using Sterlite plastic bins which aren't airtight. And then straight into jars.

After I reach 62-65% for 3-4 weeks, I use one of those vacuum sealing lid-covers to suck the air out. I have vacuum sealed buds (in jars) that have been curing that way for 5-6 years.

Anyway, I think people should qualify their "this is how I do it" posts with more info about their climate. When I first grew, I thought drying/curing would be as simple as following what I read others doing. (If I posted how I do it without mentioning my climate, someone in Florida could lose an entire crop to mold if they followed my process.).

Great point about environment outside!

I will add that different strains and phenos also dry at different rates under the same conditions.

I hang dry cut branches with bud leaves intact and then dry trim 5-10 days in closet then jar and burp according to smell and feel.

It is a bit different timing plant to plant with different strains.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Chlorophyll can't be reduced by fans placed on a living specimen and no fans going to break it down in the drying stages. It's far more complicated than most know. Either you dry too fast leaving little to no cellular life, or you actually keep the plant alive while it dies slowly hanging in a cool dark place no different than air cured tobacco. Imagine if we tobacco growers followed the protocol of using jars. There would be a severe shortage of jars let me say. I actually prefer to just let it hang in the ideal temps and RH then trying to make it happen in a jar. But I don't have any tolerance for smoke that needs months of aging to become pleasurable. That is low grade in my opinion and I just toss those grassy types into the trim, well I did when I was growing grass instead of really refined modern cannabis.
I dry my buds to the point that the stem just starts to break instead of bending, then I put them into mason jars, without the need to "burp" them or stir them around. The flavor and potency improves greatly after about 3 weeks, but I don't know if it is due to any actual curing, or just some enzymatic processes that change the chlorophyll into base products. Tobacco is often sweated from my recollections, which is a true cure and different from just drying.
I'm not sure what the answer is. Once they spend time in the mason jars, they DO improve. They often lose a lot of the green colors and really show the red/orange hairs as well as lose the hay taste. With them being as dry as they are and not needing burped, is it a cure? Dwespite 30+ years of success that there is always room for improvement, although chemistry and fast cure products aren't really considered.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Potent and tastiest hmmm, are you growing autoflowers or photoperiod plants? If your growing autoflowers I just grew some red dwarf by Buddha, the red pheno was one of the best tasting plants I ever grew several people commented on it, and the weed is very good, if your growing photoperiod plants I would suggest crystal candy by sweet seeds, this strain comes in autoflower photoperiod fast version and photoperiod, another very sweet strain I got lots of great feedback on, and lastly dark devel by sweet seeds, a most unique INDESCRIBABLE chemical smell I have never come accros, the weed will kick your ass, but then again it all comes down to personal preference and what kind of plant you want to grow, I would also suggest sweet tooth by barnys farm another great tasting strain.

D

Dai

Potent and tastiest hmmm, are you growing autoflowers or photoperiod plants? If your growing autoflowers I just grew some red dwarf by Buddha, the red pheno was one of the best tasting plants I ever grew several people commented on it, and the weed is very good, if your growing photoperiod plants I would suggest crystal candy by sweet seeds, this strain comes in autoflower photoperiod fast version and photoperiod, another very sweet strain I got lots of great feedback on, and lastly dark devel by sweet seeds, a most unique INDESCRIBABLE chemical smell I have never come accros, the weed will kick your ass, but then again it all comes down to personal preference and what kind of plant you want to grow, I would also suggest sweet tooth by barnys farm another great tasting strain.
Thanks dude I like the earthy trps but it's goto be really pungent

D

Dai

Most of what Ace seeds has will rock you, I love pyramid seeds Tutankahmen as well, then there is Jack Herer, you want solid crops, those would be your best bets. You wanna know something just straight out ask, Curing is done while drying, storing in jars is just preservation, with slow drying you are not really doing any good with bacteria, molds, fungus that possibly form, usually just drying in paper bags are sufficient.
Are them strains tasty stinkers and I believe putting it in jars just preserves it

Stkyfngaz

Stkyfngaz

Imo I like to dry my buds slow, as soon as the small stems break they go into mason jars. Alot of my strains are indica dom and dense, taking a little longer to finish. Like lots of us, I sample thru out the entire process, but the best smoke comes from 4 -6 weeks in jars.

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Good point on that climate suggestion...summer is here and I have 96 feels like 107 outside type weather. My ac trying to cool my tent and the house is very pricey.ou humid outside is 60% .....I am so tired of this hot and here in Oklahoma it stays hot long into sept ...better then tornadoes though😬😎I know all the weed I used to get long long ago wasn’t cured and was good ..but I wasn’t as picky..long long ago.😉

Rooke

Rooke

If flushing removes nothing, then why does it make a difference to the colour of the ash?
Hey all I have a ? I recently bought a bottle of cleanse from a hydro store no label on it kinda black market place. It’s supposed to cleanse your plants in 3 days without affecting smell, taste and burn-ability never seen it before not sure if I should use it. Any thoughts on this one? Also can I still have my carbon filter running in my drying room while I’m drying my buds?

Latest posts

Top Bottom