Is curing in jars bullshit and a way to justify wrongly dryd buds

• Thread starter Dai
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rikismom420

Rikismom420

Which specifics were you inquiring about? A quick search on CO2 drying or curing should turn up a bunch of stuff. It is just using a very dry environment to suck the water out of the buds. Drying in the freezer does the same thing but takes longer. I am trying a slow dry in a refrigerator and have had great results, although I will still age them in jars. After a few weeks in the Frigidaire, they came out almost perfect and ready for smoking at that point. I am going to allow a slight amount more of water to be removed, then put into jars to see how they finish using the fridge method of drying.
Hmm riptorrn does t like the fridge idea...mine are doing great so far, I am using. Paper plates , the nice ones for curing also, to see what they come out like and of course the good old mason jar.... so I guess I will find out..seems like mine is really nice just dried so......second grow will be way different....thx for all the info
Happy growing

G

GetitIndica

Tobacco is cured for months in some cases. Just FYI

Jars arent needed, a ziplock bag will do.
Months arent needed 2 weeks will do.

Ultimately taste is subjective. But I've never in my 30 years of smoking cannabis smoked anythig that was just hang dried and tasted good. Sometimes its smokable, but never what I would call good.
From my experience if you don't cure the cannabis it will be harsh when you smoke it, also it brings out the taste and stickiness.. 😉

Rikismom420

Rikismom420

From my experience if you don't cure the cannabis it will be harsh when you smoke it, also it brings out the taste and stickiness.. 😉
My people are bong people and they do t find it harsh or taste bad so far.i have some in different modes of curing and drying .☺️

Hopefull Stoner

Hopefull Stoner

I've never jard it and it's tasty and buzzing asf everytime. I believe people who say they're stuff needs to be cured they just use it as an excuse to justify they're wrongly dryd cannabis which smells like hay because the chlorophyll has absorbed on to the plant because people believe not to have a fan blowing lightly on the buds but I believe by having it blowing over the plants lightly so they moving a little bit so it evaporates the chlorophyll from the plant instead of it absorbing into the plant where they are just hanging with no air being blown through them
i saw this topic and determined you need some attention like a few hugs or ur koo koo for coco puffs. and 6 pages of space on this. smdh halarious

BudBogart

BudBogart

Anyone ever try freeze curing?

I haven’t tried freezing buds, it but they sell a quick freeze dry machine that( I think) fast freezes, thaws and vacuums the moisture from the product in 24 hours.
They cost about $2000 U.S. I think “Harvest Right” is the name. Wish I had one to experiment with.

London bud

London bud

If people have weed that stinks like cut grass and are hoping curing in jars will fix that it wont, it may improve the aroma slightly but it'll never be worth near top dollar.
If you cut a fully green vibrant plant its gonna smell like cut grass however you dry it.
you gotta flush nutes out the soil and force the plant to use its own reserves, once the plants fan leaves are yellowing and fading around the buds your good to harvest and it will smell like smokeable bud within 3/4 days.
Curing has its place and definitely improves the smoke, even a week is sufficent.
Curing can't save bud that was cut down fully green and now stinks of hay, for that use it is bullshit

London bud

London bud

Then why are the buds green? Flushing doesn't remove anything from the plant, and chlorophyll is on that list of "anything".
when you flush your not flushing the plant your flushing the soil. Within days of flushing nutrients will have been flushed out the soil and this in turn forces the plant to you it's own reserves. Fan leaves surrounding the bud will turn different colours and show different deficiencies as the bud uses up the plants reserves. No N in flower for me is leading up to the flush, with no N the plant can't continue making chlorophyll at full pace if at all. That's when the leaves fade and the bud tastes better. My thoughts anyway.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If people have weed that stinks like cut grass and are hoping curing in jars will fix that it wont, it may improve the aroma slightly but it'll never be worth near top dollar.
If you cut a fully green vibrant plant its gonna smell like cut grass however you dry it.
you gotta flush nutes out the soil and force the plant to use its own reserves, once the plants fan leaves are yellowing and fading around the buds your good to harvest and it will smell like smokeable bud within 3/4 days.
Curing has its place and definitely improves the smoke, even a week is sufficent.
Curing can't save bud that was cut down fully green and now stinks of hay, for that use it is bullshit

Sorry this is not true at all. I have grown hundreds of plants one after another week by week and fed, flushed, and otherwise and fading plants on purpose before harvest lowers taste, smell and potency.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
FWIW, and not to throw gasoline (or Petrol for our overseas buddys!) on the fire, but I wanted to clarify something as well as give my opinion. When buds are put into the jars, it isn't really a cure in the sense of trying to turn straw into gold or to improve something that is marginal. It is simply a way for the chlorophyll to be degraded. Once the chlorophyll and other related compounds are removed, the underlying tastes can be tasted. Similar to a tree leaf being green from the chlorophyll, there are other colors hidden by the chlorophyll's bitter taste, as well as some of the degradation products from chlorophyll turning into sugars, which also enhance the taste. To me, it seems that jar drying or curing improves the potency, and there is some evidence that THC continues to be either made or converted during the drying and curing process.
It is hard to find objective data out there, but the removal of chlorophyll seems to be the main goal of curing, whichever method that is used. Of course, it all depends on preference, too.

London bud

London bud

Sorry this is not true at all. I have grown hundreds of plants one after another week by week and fed, flushed, and otherwise and fading plants on purpose before harvest lowers taste, smell and potency.

But if you didn't want to fade them why would you flush? The fading is just part n parcel of flushing imo
If you feed N late in flower your gonna have grassy weed that no cure is gonna fix

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

But if you didn't want to fade them why would you flush? The fading is just part n parcel of flushing imo
If you feed N late in flower your gonna have grassy weed that no cure is gonna fix

I feed light and as each plant needs it. If they yellow i give fertilizer. Always a balanced complete fertilizer. Brand doesnt matter much. Sometimes they are plenty green and need nothing but water. Sometimes they are hungry and keep growing to ripeness.

It has more than doubled my yield over time with practice and you can smoke most strains after just hang drying for a week amd they will already be tasty and mostly smooth. Jar curing does improve this with some time.

Flushing is a method commercial black market growers developed to help mitigate overfeeding for yield. There was enough left over to feed the plants for weeks i. The medium.

I do not grow like that. I give the minimum I can to see the plant reach its potential.

I said i tried it every way side by side with known cuttings round after round. Easy in my system. I can test whatever i want perpetually. my rooms never shut down.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I always felt that the problem with using a lot of nitrogen during flowering was that the amount of chlorophyll increases, giving you the dark green leaves. I always let my Sativas fade to the point where the leaves yellow and start to drop, but not much longer. FWIW, based on what happened when I used a 10K MH on plants at the end of flowering, it seems the blue light really causes the plants to suck the fan leaves dry, which yellowed and dried up VERY quickly once the light was used. I never saw anything quite like it, but the buds underneath were fat and sassy. I prefer to use less nitrogen at the end of flowering, but every grow and grower is different and some seem to do fine with using a lot of nutes the entire time. If it works for you, then go for it!

justadbeer

justadbeer

Whiskey gets its flavour from the wooden barrels and wine is totally different to weed and so is cheese plus all them are bacteria cannabis isn't so what sense does tha make like
Whiskey gets its flavour from the wooden barrels and wine is totally different to weed and so is cheese plus all them are bacteria cannabis isn't so what sense does tha make like

You seem to be arguing the point of your original question. If you want advice from seasoned growers, ask for it and then sit back and read the replies. If you want to debate the topic, you should state that up front. Getting defensive and belligerent will not get you far. If you like what works for you, then go for it. There is a lot of "stoner science" out there and you'll need to do the legwork to sort it out. BTW, I hang dry after trimming for a week or so, then into jars like most others. Paper bags for the stuff that will be used to make RSO and then from there into large Zip locks. But Zip-locks are not air-tight and do not prevent the smell as jars will so if I need to store large quantities in giant zip-locks, they also get stored in 5 gal air-tight pails.

justadbeer

justadbeer

I personally love the Taste of blue dream and it's high THC. Having said that I'm growing a heavy Sativa called Insane 4 the Membrain. I'll report back after harvest rumor is it can hit 30 percent THC

Ohhhhh - I have Blue Dream in the tent almost ready to chop. I'm so excited to get this one done !

Lovthegrow

Lovthegrow

I've never jard it and it's tasty and buzzing asf everytime. I believe people who say they're stuff needs to be cured they just use it as an excuse to justify they're wrongly dryd cannabis which smells like hay because the chlorophyll has absorbed on to the plant because people believe not to have a fan blowing lightly on the buds but I believe by having it blowing over the plants lightly so they moving a little bit so it evaporates the chlorophyll from the plant instead of it absorbing into the plant where they are just hanging with no air being blown through them
Cursing in jars goes way back .Long before you ever busted a seed

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
That should be plastered across the top of every page, an unwritten rule, pic’s or it’s just more fishing stories...
That goes along with the old saying from the 60s. "Don't Incriminate yourself!" I know a lot of growers would love to show their results, but decades of conditioning make even the legal growers reluctant to share the fruits of their labors! In this day of internet tracking, every photo can often be traced with an IP address and a timestamp. This is enough for prosecuters to get started.
Please don't misinterpret this message, it isn't a criticism of anything, it just explains why a lot of growers don't post their pictures... especially in non legal growing states. Times are changing, but old habits die hard! I never really considered much until my local hydro shop showed me a few articles from the local paper showing how some growers were tracked down, which was IP and timestamping to prove a place and time. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!! The insanity continues even as legalization moves forward...

Top Bottom