Is this over watering or other issues?

• Thread starter Skeggox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skeggox

Skeggox

My watering schedule is day 1 water, 2 and 3 wait, day 4 check and water if needed. Which they're pretty dry the 4 day. Since my last watering, on the 20th, I've noticed this discoloration. I watered with recharge and silica fertilizer. I haven't had this issue yet. Could it be the recharge/ silica combo? The pic of the leaves are what I pulled. Temp 84-88°. RH is 60-70%
Is this over watering or other issues

Is this over watering or other issues 2
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Have an ir temp gun to check plant temps by chance?

Media?

Looks like it could very well be over watering but can't say for sure.

This may help you flip a switch as to what's going on.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I would try and get more air into that root zone somehow. Fans, drilling holes, whatever it takes. I think perhaps your holding onto too much moisture, and it's not staying oxygenated enough to do you any good.

How high are the temps getting in the tent? Moisture is worthless, if all the oxygen is largely depleted from it sitting in a bunch of heat.
Need a bit more historical data, but I got a feeling heat, and your long intervals between watering is working against you here.

Img17
Last edited:
Skeggox

Skeggox

I did not include the way I was watering. They're in 5 gal buckets. There is plenty of holes for drainage, run off comes pretty soon even though I water slowly. I use half a gallon per 5gal bucket. Sometimes a little less. Thanks for the info

Skeggox

Skeggox

I would try and get more air into that root zone somehow. Fans, drilling holes, whatever it takes. I think perhaps your holding onto too much moisture, and it's not staying oxygenated enough to do you any good.

How high are the temps getting in the tent?
The temps have been staying 82-88°F the past month But for some reason the last few days it's been hitting 90 and that's running lights at night time. Lights off during the day. It hasn't hit that in a month.

Skeggox

Skeggox

I will add the tops of the plants look healthy. It's the lower part that's wilting and curling/crispy. And the effected leaves are crowning and curling down from the sides

Skeggox

Skeggox

Its been 2 days since watering. I just checked the soil it's dry up to my 2nd nuckle. That's what I go by. Then I water the next day to make sure it's not over watering. Could it be underwatering with the heat? I know too much heat from the light causes canoeing upward. But the over all room temp being high causes this correct? Because the canopy looks healthy

Skeggox

Skeggox

I haven't had any issues with the soil so far. The over all plant has been growing healthy. Unless I do need more drainage in these buckets. I hear where people put 2in of perlite in the bottom. I just put extra in the soil with earthworm castings

Madmax

Madmax

No ..dont do that..that changes the water table and will move it further up the pot...
Just make sure pot is lite before watering...can you get your temps down abit..

Skeggox

Skeggox

No ..dont do that..that changes the water table and will move it further up the pot...
Just make sure pot is lite before watering...can you get your temps down abit..
Yeah I wasn't talking about adding perlite to the bottom. Just general speaking in terms of drainage. But someone mentioned more holes. How far up the bucket should I go? I only went about 3 inches from the bottom but put plenty. I was afraid of going to high

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah I wasn't talking about adding perlite to the bottom. Just general speaking in terms of drainage. But someone mentioned more holes. How far up the bucket should I go? I only went about 3 inches from the bottom but put plenty. I was afraid of going to high
Lift your pots to gauge watering needs.

Really take the time to read the thread I linked in post #2. It will help you understand how and why.

Skeggox

Skeggox

Lift your pots to gauge watering needs.

Really take the time to read the thread I linked in post #2. It will help you understand how and why.
Alright. I started reading it. It goes pretty in depth. I'll be sure to finish it out tomorrow. I appreciate it

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I did not include the way I was watering. They're in 5 gal buckets. There is plenty of holes for drainage, run off comes pretty soon even though I water slowly. I use half a gallon per 5gal bucket. Sometimes a little less. Thanks for the info

Based on this info right here, I would say over watering. This usually happens if the soil already has a lot of moisture in it. Last time I used a 5 gallon bucket, which was a while ago, I remember I needed to give them AT LEAST a 1/2 gallon of water to get runoff. So if runoff is coming out before you water the entire 1/2 gallon, it seems like there is too much moisture in the soil. Next time I would add more perlite. Hope that helps, good luck.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Based on this info right here, I would say over watering. This usually happens if the soil already has a lot of moisture in it. Last time I used a 5 gallon bucket, which was a while ago, I remember I needed to give them AT LEAST a 1/2 gallon of water to get runoff. So if runoff is coming out before you water the entire 1/2 gallon, it seems like there is too much moisture in the soil. Next time I would add more perlite. Hope that helps, good luck.
My thoughts exactly. The only other thing I can see is possible the soil is hydrophobic and channeling.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Probably from improper irrigation technique early on. Maybe watering the plants without fully saturating the media every time.
Yup that or like you say overwatering. I can't think of any other reason but that's not to say there may not be.

I think your right though.

Top Bottom