Joe's Grow Show Pt. 1: The Coco Diaries

• Thread starter Thejoeybrown
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
PurplePlants

PurplePlants

Hey @Thejoeybrown very nice looking plants.

I have a question about them... i see you are taking off some fan leaves to get light to go through your plants.
I have been reading so many articles today about trimming the fan leaves or to leave them alone until the last 2 weeks of flower.
My question is:
If you had left them on and just let the leaves die off naturally, can you achieve the same yield?
Could the yield be bigger?
Don't have links or anything but the way the articles was written... Basically suggested that if you let the plant use the energy in those leaves it allows the plant to spend less energy making the buds.
I only ask because my first grow i chopped them... (too much but still...)
They still flowering outside now (104 days 17 hrs in)
My indoor grow i am doing now... i basically don't want to cut one single leaf off.
Will this benefit my plant or hurt my yield in the end?

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

I have a question about them... i see you are taking off some fan leaves to get light to go through your plants.
I have been reading so many articles today about trimming the fan leaves or to leave them alone until the last 2 weeks of flower.
My question is:
If you had left them on and just let the leaves die off naturally, can you achieve the same yield?
Don't have links or anything but the way the articles was written... Basically suggested that if you let the plant use the energy in those leaves it allows the plant to spend less energy making the buds.
My indoor grow i am doing now... i basically don't want to cut one single leaf off.
IMO I would have done it opposite. I don't trim my outdoor at all. The sun handles that no problem. Lol.
IMO indoor is where you can benefit from Defoliation. The solar panel argument is mute to me because in my research I understand that the leaves are storage for sugars and other nutrients. When the plant is not recieving the proper amount of something it will pull what it has from the leaves. That's why at the end and you are flushing we experience "senescence" (I hate that word. Lol. But it's what's happening) and the leaves yellow and the plant basically "eats" itself.
When in hydroponics you should have a dialed in complete balanced diet and they should not need any reserves. If you are not completely dialed in I would recommend waiting until you are to try defol
It allows more light, releases auxins triggering more bud growth among other things BUT ONLY if your plant is completely healthy and completely dialed in feed wise

PurplePlants

PurplePlants

IMO I would have done it opposite. I don't trim my outdoor at all. The sun handles that no problem. Lol.
IMO indoor is where you can benefit from Defoliation. The solar panel argument is mute to me because in my research I understand that the leaves are storage for sugars and other nutrients. When the plant is not recieving the proper amount of something it will pull what it has from the leaves. That's why at the end and you are flushing we experience "senescence" (I hate that word. Lol. But it's what's happening) and the leaves yellow and the plant basically "eats" itself.
When in hydroponics you should have a dialed in complete balanced diet and they should not need any reserves. If you are not completely dialed in I would recommend waiting until you are to try defol
It allows more light, releases auxins triggering more bud growth among other things BUT ONLY if your plant is completely healthy and completely dialed in feed wise
They were indoor plants before i made them into outdoor for the next generation... (I'm better planned now)
Thank you for that info...
My nutes... I'm using SEAGRO organic fish emulsion... i think it's emulsion.
So i probably should not defoliate... lol...
Nice happy looking plants you have there.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

My question is:
as for could the yield be bigger that's what I'm trying to experiment with. I beleive indoors if done right with healthy well fed plants, it can help increase yield. If you have unhealthy plants and you shockbthem more, it may hurt yield. IMO.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

They were indoor plants before i made them into outdoor for the next generation... (I'm better planned now)
Thank you for that info...
My nutes... I'm using SEAGRO organic fish emulsion... i think it's emulsion.
So i probably should not defoliate... lol...
Nice happy looking plants you have there.
IMO if it's your first Grow I'd say let them grow and watch them. Find out what your nute mix may be lacking or havi too much of. Learn from them. Don't be afraid to pluck a couple leaves here and there if they are in the way. A couple won't hurt. Then you will have a better feel for what they need then you can try it when you know they are dialed in.
Also in soul with the dry cycles and what not I'm not sure how that would affect it. In Coco and hydro we are feedin constantly which I beleive helps in the defoliating because they are getting everything they need constantly

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Good morning fellas! (At least for me it's Saturday morning) lol. Hope everyone is having a great day.

Outdoor girls are happy with the nice weather. I always leave before the suns up and get home in the evening so I never get to see them all perky except on the weekend. Lol
I put Ms. Coco in a bigger 15 gal pot. She can spend a couple weeks filling it before she starts flowering

IMG 6158
IMG 6160
IMG 6161
Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

She's a monster. Lol. And the in ground girl is really gaining some vigor. Hopefully flowering will start a little later this year with all this nice weather. Another couple weeks and they should really put some size on. I could have potted up sooner on Ms. coco but she still has time to stretch those roots out

IMG 6245
IMG 6246
Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Morning Joe. Looking good! Remember last week when I was trying to sex my plant and I thought it was female for sure, but you said it was a little early? Looks like you were right because now it is looking more male than female. Sucks!
Ya it is kinda but also the spade shape of it kinda makes me wonder. Lol. Good thing is if it is male it will be a bushel of balls real soon. Lol. And you'll know for sure. That may just be a weird calyx. Lol. I kinda think it is because there isn't a stem yet and it's the only growth there.
Those babies are lookin good! Nice perfect green all the way thru.
I need one of those aero cloners. I haven't done much cloning but where I'm going with my setup cloning is going to be a big part. Lol. I want something I don't have to worry about too much and have high root rate

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

This is the cloner, I got it from their site. Not a bad deal, but you could diy cheaper. I didn't want to do the work lol. 50 bucks isn't bad though. I like to see the roots as soon as they start instead of having to wait until they get long enough to stick out of a cube. I've used it twice now both with good results.
https://www.powergrowsystems.com/products/powergrow-bucket-cloner
I think its a female! It just hasnt matured yet...
Is this preflower, or did you flip?

Farmer P

Farmer P

I think its a female! It just hasnt matured yet...
Is this preflower, or did you flip?
The flip is up to mother nature. I'll keep it and the clones until I'm sure, but my guess is :mushtache:. I transplanted 3 sour urkles to coco today and made 3 more just to make sure me and my buddy are covered. We'll probably know for sure in a week or so.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

The flip is up to mother nature. I'll keep it and the clones until I'm sure, but my guess is :mushtache:. I transplanted 3 sour urkles to coco today and made 3 more just to make sure me and my buddy are covered. We'll probably know for sure in a week or so.
I'm voting female. Lol. Like I said it's just one with no stem and it's spade shaped. You're gonna be pleasantly surprised. Lol

PurplePlants

PurplePlants

IMO if it's your first Grow I'd say let them grow and watch them. Find out what your nute mix may be lacking or havi too much of. Learn from them. Don't be afraid to pluck a couple leaves here and there if they are in the way. A couple won't hurt. Then you will have a better feel for what they need then you can try it when you know they are dialed in.
Also in soul with the dry cycles and what not I'm not sure how that would affect it. In Coco and hydro we are feedin constantly which I beleive helps in the defoliating because they are getting everything they need constantly
I really love reading your replies. You engage people in your comments... Love that... Keep on!!!
With all the reading of everybody's journals, i feel i have gained so many years worth of experience... The fact that i have gained so much, i know it will take a few years of learning (growing) to fully understand and grow this plant without error.
With that being said. My first grow is still in action... (106 days in)
They are fattening up nicely. Even though i defoliated them a bit to much.
The one has turned purple almost 100% from the cold and has pink pistils... Looks amazing...
The other 2 are fattening up much more than the purple WW. Not sure when i am going to harvest them...
That is the only part i feel i have no clue about.
Drying, curing and burping the jars so on... i am currently doing all that on the plant that is my profile picture... she gave me purple/green nugs...
So i am trying my best to get as much information into my head because i really love growing these plants.
My disadvantage now is that i don't have anything like a 420 scope... will get one ASAP.
I also have problems with getting my seeds to pop... Temps are cold...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom