Killing Autoflowers and Learning to Grow Organically :p

• Thread starter ajgrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ajgrows

ajgrows

Grabbed the Photone app and checked PAR readings because I really have no idea if I'm giving the seedling too little/too much light. At 55% power on the TSW2000, it reads right around 250, which is good. I will gradually increase this up to 400 µmols as the seedling grows. I realize this is probably nowhere near the accuracy of an expensive PAR meter but for $6 it keeps me in the ballpark and allows me to have another environmental metric to test 👍

ajgrows

ajgrows

Day 8:

Looking good, 2nd set of true leaves are visible. Still feels like it's stretching so I kicked the light up another 25 µmols.

WATTS60%
PAR275
LIGHT DISTANCE24"
RH53%
WATER1 oz
PH6.5

ajgrows

ajgrows

Day 9:

Quarter turn of the pot, turned up the watts another 5ish %, raised light to maintain 24" distance.

veg6-d4-08-09-21-png.1155401

WATTS
65%​
PAR
310​
LIGHT DISTANCE24"
RH
49%​
WATER
couple oz​
PH
6.5​

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Wellll maybe I'm not done killing plants yet 😖 Dis no gud.

View attachment 1155663
Flood it. Make sure the entire pot is wet. Then let it alone until it's almost totally dry.
An ounce. OMG.

ajgrows

ajgrows

Flood it. Make sure the entire pot is wet. Then let it alone until it's almost totally dry.
An ounce. OMG.
I did give it a heavy watering last night after your post. That’s what I did in my last grow at day 7 and all three looked just like this one within a day of doing so, then died. I assumed it was overwatering that caused it. If it’s the opposite I’d actually feel better about the negligence.

How do you water your plants in the first weeks of growth?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I did give it a heavy watering last night after your post. That’s what I did in my last grow at day 7 and all three looked just like this one within a day of doing so, then died. I assumed it was overwatering that caused it. If it’s the opposite I’d actually feel better about the negligence.

How do you water your plants in the first weeks of growth?
Just exactly the way it's written. We keep our plants on the edge, pushing for more growth.
Lets see some fresh pix.

ajgrows

ajgrows

You're showing nutes being fed on day 1. Ffhf soil needs nothing but water for 1st 3-4 weeks.
Dry amendments at 25% dosing. Doubtful it's even broken down and available to the plant in the first several weeks.

ajgrows

ajgrows

Just exactly the way it's written. We keep our plants on the edge, pushing for more growth.
Lets see some fresh pix.
Gotcha. So soak the whole pot even as a seedling? I can't find much online that look like this poor girl does today. Browning from stem outward on the leaf. If it's damping off, I have no idea how I'm introducing disease into the soil.

IMG 5477

mancorn

mancorn

From your first picture (of the limp plant) I would have said water. But if that was the case the plant would just shrivel up (like a pulled weed). Yours has the weird tan coloring on the leaves, which is something else (and I’d suspect lighting. But not an indoor grower myself.)

And yeah a seeding needs to be keep constantly moist, no dry out for the first week or so until it’s established. But no need for a humidity style dome for seeds. Give them fresh air with moist soil.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

That has the marks of overfeeding.
What amendment did you add?

What lights do you have and how far from the plant?
If it has a dimmer, what is it set on?

ajgrows

ajgrows

That has the marks of overfeeding.
What amendment did you add?

What lights do you have and how far from the plant?
If it has a dimmer, what is it set on?
Pretty small amount of amendments:
3 tbsp Down to Earth All Purpose
2 tbsp DTE Bloom

I did mix in about 10% FF Ocean Forest that I had leftover from the last debacle. I have no reference, but assumed that wouldn't be too hot to start them in.

Mars Hydro TSW2000; 300w max. I started it at 50% have increased to 65%, which was roughly only 250-275 PAR at 24". From the research I've done, I don't believe that is too much.

I'm thinking just straight HF with no amendments and more water for the next one.

mancorn

mancorn

Pretty small amount of amendments:
3 tbsp Down to Earth All Purpose
2 tbsp DTE Bloom

I did mix in about 10% FF Ocean Forest that I had leftover from the last debacle. I have no reference, but assumed that wouldn't be too hot to start them in.

Mars Hydro TSW2000; 300w max. I started it at 50% have increased to 65%, which was roughly only 250-275 PAR at 24". From the research I've done, I don't believe that is too much.

I'm thinking just straight HF with no amendments and more water for the next one.
I like the FFHF for seedlings, it holds water better than the Ocean Forrest in the small pots. I don’t do autos, so normally up pot from a solo of HF into the 1g nursery (really .7g) of FFOF, but won’t feed a seedling until about 2-3 weeks (around the 3rd set of leaves or when the Cotyledons start yellowing). If you start in a big pot, just build a little center spot of the HF about the size of the 1g pots.

ajgrows

ajgrows

Ok, moving on to ROUND 3 of trying to keep a plant alive for more than a week

Mendel's Mystery Mix Auto

I hate wasting things. Soooo, I dug up the round two contestant just to see what was going on below the surface and I am going to reuse the medium since it's still rather fresh. For only 6-7 days of growth I am really surprised at how long the roots are!

IMG 5479

The soil was wet all the way down to the bottom of the roots in about a 2" diameter around it. This leads me to think maybe I was watering too frequently, even though I was administering small amounts of water. Maybe I'm an idiot. I'll just keep trying to prove that last statement wrong 🤪

I snagged a freebie 4x4 tent for review purposes, so I figured I'd make this 5 gal pot look tiny in the completely oversized tent for a single plant. My new ducting was supposed to be delivered today so the inline fan is hanging in pieces until tomorrow.

IMG 5482

Found a little friend snooping around in the tent, I figure it can stay and eat gnats and $hit.

IMG 5481

DTE 4-6-2 ALL PURPOSE3 tbsp
DTE 4-8-4 BLOOM2 tbsp
WORM CASTINGS2 lbs
HAPPY FROG SOIL1/2 bag
5 GAL POTS1
WATER1/2 oz
PH6.5
WATTS50%
PAR250
LIGHT DISTANCE24"
TEMP72°
RH52%

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Feed it nothing but water for the first two weeks at least, probably 3.
Replant it. It's not dead yet.

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

As a black thumb plant killer myself I had same issues with damping off. Frankster and the good guys here with the articles in watering set me straight. Im currently a few weeks into my 1st successful grow. I soaked the entire pot a day prior to planting. Next day I dropped the seed in with some plastic wrap on top to keep humidity up until they popped. I went 15 days before the pot was dry and light. At that point the plants had about 2-3 set of leaves, were healthy and green, and weren’t stretching. Right after that first water is when they absolutely exploded. That first seed to a dry out and then wet cycle really made all the difference in the world. I actually have a bit of confidence going into flower with some healthy plants now! But the wet/dry cycle is no joke.

Latest posts

Top Bottom