• Start date
  • Tagged users None
ajgrows

ajgrows

Timber

Bollocks 🥴

ajgrows

ajgrows

I've been searching more for anything that remotely resembles what's happening to my seedlings and still can't seem to turn up similar results. I think the lack of water is definitely part of the problem, but not entirely. I believe if it was solely water then the soak around day 7 should revive the plants. I'm experiencing the exact opposite. A horrible death ⚰️

The one thing I haven't changed in my first attempts has been the light intensity. The "healthy" photo in this post was taken less than 12 hours before #3 gave up the fight. Given the way the leaves looked, and that I was targeting the high side of PPFD range with no diffusing method on the Photone app, leads me to believe that could be a big contributor to killing them off. I've backed the light down even further, to around 225 µmols and am just going to keep it here and see how Hank responds. #3 is probably never coming back from the grave but I'm keeping her planted just to experiment with some more watering. Even if it does somehow turn around, I'd expect an abysmal yield.

HANK 👩‍🎤 | DAY 1

The top 3/4" of the medium is already dry. I gave it a little squirt w/ this nifty...squirter and put a dome on.

IMG 5516

Do your thing gurl.

Get it girl e90e50f749

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
That was some serious light intensity. Glad you were able to sort that part out.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Hank the Tank, but also preparing a coffin because I'm a practical man. 🤞⚰️

ajgrows

ajgrows

Man nature is so cool. Idk what kind of moth this is, but the symmetry is awesome. It probably listens to some hardcore metal 🤘

IMG 5517

This little dude was stuck in a spider web so I helped it over to the potted patio plants. I wish I could get my tent plants far enough along to put some ladybugs in with them lol

IMG 5521

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

Idk what kind of moth this is, but the symmetry is awesome.
Hate to break it to you, but that looks a lot like the adult form of a budworm. If you kill caterpillars you find on your plants, kill the moths too 🙂
I wish I could get my tent plants far enough along to put some ladybugs in with them lol
Have you ever tried that before? If you put mature ladybugs in there they will all fly up to the light and die. If you have an aphid problem that you want to treat with beneficial insects, get some ladybug larvae; they are far more voracious predators at that stage and, most importantly, they lack wings for up to 2 weeks! Unless you have a major infestation they will probably starve to death before they can pupate anyway.

ajgrows

ajgrows

Hate to break it to you, but that looks a lot like the adult form of a budworm. If you kill caterpillars you find on your plants, kill the moths too 🙂

Have you ever tried that before? If you put mature ladybugs in there they will all fly up to the light and die. If you have an aphid problem that you want to treat with beneficial insects, get some ladybug larvae; they are far more voracious predators at that stage and, most importantly, they lack wings for up to 2 weeks! Unless you have a major infestation they will probably starve to death before they can pupate anyway.
Not a big deal, but I appreciate the info! Actually a quick google search returns that it appears to be a tiger moth. Pretty cool that this species has been around for 250 years. I just have a few philodendron that have been relegated to the back porch. The rest is on the wife lol.

Nope, haven't had a plant make it far enough to need to treat predators. I certainly don't want to kill any innocent bystanders, I just like watching them in other people's grow videos 😆

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

So Hank is the one where you did a full soak on your 5 gal bucket, you let it sit a few days and then planted? You’re gold bro! Put a little dome or something over it until it sprouts to keep that top layer humid and moist. Once it pops there’s enough water in that pot for weeks! Go on vacation so you let not around to water them 👍

speaking of a predators I just pulled domes off 2 outdoor autos that just sprouted and the next night a fucking mouse ate them. RIP frankster beans. All that’s left is a husk. I’m going full traps tonight to kill every one. I am beyond pissed off.

ajgrows

ajgrows

So Hank is the one where you did a full soak on your 5 gal bucket, you let it sit a few days and then planted? You’re gold bro! Put a little dome or something over it until it sprouts to keep that top layer humid and moist. Once it pops there’s enough water in that pot for weeks! Go on vacation so you let not around to water them 👍
Yeah, only a 1/2 gal of water then the pot sat for 24ish hours. I did just dome and water a little actually 👌

speaking of a predators I just pulled domes off 2 outdoor autos that just sprouted and the next night a fucking mouse ate them. RIP frankster beans. All that’s left is a husk. I’m going full traps tonight to kill every one. I am beyond pissed off.
Damn that sucks mang 😳

ajgrows

ajgrows

I was hoping Hank might show herself today but still no sign yet. I gave her a quick squirt of water to keep the medium moist.

Yesterday I was talking w/ a neighbor during a late night sativa patio sesh, who also started growing his own meds and he got me finking about another Death Dealer possibility. He uses synthetic nutes and was rambling on ad nauseam about PPM and runoff and it dawned on me that maybe my basement water choice could be a problem. I've used water from this spigot in my basement for all four of my attempts, and I honestly don't know if this is the same quality as taking it from a sink on the finished level. This is inline with the feed to our sprinkler system, so I have wondered if it's shit water...literally. I've noticed after I aerate it and the water sits for 4-5 days in a 5gal bucket a film develops on the top and I don't know what it is or why it happens.

IMG 5531

I've also come to accept that maybe I'm struggling with too little plant and too much pot. So I've ordered up some seedling pots and a heat map strip to try starting them in smaller containers. #5....Lola, will start with fresh aerated water from the kitchen sink via the paper towel method this week and we will see if that has any impact on reducing the mortality rate of these poor beeches.

Deuces ✌️

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We filter our water because its nasty to taste. If I won't drink it, I'm not gonna make my plants drink it.
All filtering does it clean the water. It does not adjust pH or anything else except moisture levels.

ajgrows

ajgrows

HANK 👩‍🎤 | REAL DAY 1 | 75°, RH 51%, PPFD 260µmols, 1/4C water

Nothing special to report, Hank's awake after 4 days of germ. She knows what the future holds, popped out rockin a busket head 🪖😆

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
We're all here cheering for you, Hank. Its a miserable world out there - one that's sometimes way too wet, other times too dry - but if you're the woman we all think you are you will succeed where the others have failed and bring this poor bastard to the promised land. ✊

Oh, but I bought you this just in case ⚰️

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

Pretty cool that this species has been around for 250 years
I'm pretty sure it has been around for much longer! Are you saying someone first documented it 250 years ago?

But know that Rothschild et al (1977) found that the tiger moth did feed on Cannabis and actually preferred high THC varieties to low-THC hemp even if it killed them 😆

Rothschild M., M.R. Rowan and J.W. Fairbairn, 1977. Storage of cannabinoids by Arctia caja and Zonocerus elegans fed on chemically distinct strains of Cannabis sativa. Nature 266:650-651.

ajgrows

ajgrows

I'm pretty sure it has been around for much longer! Are you saying someone first documented it 250 years ago?
Oh snaps! No I think I actually pulled up the very official and never wrong Wikipedia page when I was searching. No way lol, ofc they like weed. I mean...I always try to get so high I can't feel my hands. Doesn't everyone? 😂

ajgrows

ajgrows

HANK 👩‍🎤 | DAY 2 | 75°, RH 49%, PPFD 260µmols, 0 water

Hank doubled in height since yesterday. I don't want to mess with the lights but I don't know what's a 'bad' stretch in a seedling. Observation will continue. I might have gotten away w/ watering again today, but I want the medium to dry out a bit more so I can give her more next time. Sorry for the 💩 photos. My 📷 skills be lackin'.

IMG 5537
IMG 5544

LOLA 👧 | GERM DAY 3 | 75°, RH 49%, PPFD 260µmols, 1/8C water

Lola spent a day in a shot glass then another 24ish hours in this sweet homemade germination chamber (or a coffin in my case? ⚰️)

Now it's time to get her in some DIRT

Dangjoedirt

Plain ol' Happy Frog and an 1/8 of a cup of water, just about an inch deep for the taproot. Also, beware of small children puking in your buskets. Obviously.

IMG 5542
IMG 5541

The pot is soaked after the watering so I put my engineering hat on and made this bottom air fed floating dome for her 🤣 I have no idea if it will even serve it's purpose but that's what this diary is for. Making a crap ton of mistakes so future me will be smarter 😜 Next time maybe just use the Ziploc dummy.

IMG 5548

Deuces! 🤘

Top Bottom