Kingbrite review

• Thread starter ZenSunniWanderer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

I'm pretty happy so far. How about you?
Honestly I'm at almost a week from seed and am using the 300w viparspectra I have. I just got a new tent and waiting for my ac infinity inline to come in and will be setting everything up in that new tent. But I'm looking for a 2nd light for the tent I'm currently in once the new one is set up. But now after some pricing and looking hlg may be the more price effective way to go for me. I just heard back from "Vicky" and with shipping the price is just to high. Damn shipping is almost 50 bucks and with hlg it's free.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Can I point out there is no 1 right light and that timbers need a higher distance from plant tops because of the more focused light which can lead to more light bleed and loss but may be better for an application with higher ceilings.

The HLG can be run a bit close making them more ideal for height limited spaces.

The strips from many such as gavita can be run even closer for minimal light bleed and even coverage and i would say best use of the light produced.

There is NO 1 best light for all situations.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Can I point out there is no 1 right light and that timbers need a higher distance from plant tops because of the more focused light which can lead to more light bleed and loss but may be better for an application with higher ceilings.

The HLG can be run a bit close making them more ideal for height limited spaces.

The strips from many such as gavita can be run even closer for minimal light bleed and even coverage and i would say best use of the light produced.

Unfortunate but true. Lol another way to look at it is... there are zillions of grow formats and the perfect light for each one hahahaha! My winter inside flower set up is in a bonsai format so everything is under 2 feet to the dirt. Light penetration isn't an issue for me with a budget light. But you guys that are growing trees inside or dense scrog? Completely different needs. I decided not to take my usual winter break and had to retool one of my areas.

odirt

odirt

I love my kingbrite lights . Half way threw and couldn’t be happier. Ordered during pandemic and had them here in less than 7 business days. Funny if ordered from USA would prob took longer. As for support American made. Most stuff made in China but assembled here with 300% markup. So bye support American u just let American company stick it in ya ass for your hard earned $. American greed

odirt

odirt

There 1 thing ive learned over the years of growing is the grow industry is all bout getting growers to buy things mostly not needed for outrageous prices. Nutrients crazy advertisements to get u buy 90% water. There something new every cpl months. Any way get into your pocket. Led lights changing constantly, companies pitching y there’s are the best. This site show you that even Chinese led do the job for 20% the price

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter

The new timbers recommend 16-18 above canopy. The new style of lights with no small reflectors are supposed to prevent or lessen the light bleed and loss. For anyone looking into timbers.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The new timbers recommend 16-18 above canopy. The new style of lights with no small reflectors are supposed to prevent or lessen the light bleed and loss. For anyone looking into timbers.
This would reduce the penetration with the use of wider lenses. Also lenses will reduce efficacy a small amount. Much like the synce lights. This is not necessarily bad as spread vs intensity is a balancing act. This is why i say lights like gavita strips that can be run 12" are IMO great for height limited spaces and get the most light to the plant with the least light bleed and most even coverage without hot spots like timber, hlg and others. This is why it's so beneficial to have dimmers so you can adjust height and intensity to get the most even spread at the right intensity

With timbers having cob style lights it comes from a single source and requires a lens to spread it out. With a lot of diodes spread out evenly you can run much closer preventing bleed and getting more even coverage.

But all this needs to be put together with open air or reflective spaces and taking overlap, hot spots etc. Into account.

The spectrums and ratios can differ between lights. When we talk penetration its basically the focused direction of the light and the height needed for even coverage while maintaining a certain intensity.

Then there is the efficacy and other factors. Basically what I'm saying is timbers, HLG, gavitas, HID and all sources if having the same spectral qualities still don't all suit the same type of grows.

Maybe im not understanding but can you tell me what makes timer say a better light than HLG? I get the 16-18" above the canopy but thats only part of the info. How close together do they need to be for even coverage at that height? And how high can you run the wattage at that height? How even is the coverage at that height when spaced as directed.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with timbers but I'm not sure how less diodes or a more concentrated light can allow them to run the same or closer without lenses that spread the light and that would increase light bleed not reduce it

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
This would reduce the penetration with the use of wider lenses. Also lenses will reduce efficacy a small amount. Much like the synce lights. This is not necessarily bad as spread vs intensity is a balancing act. This is why i say lights like gavita strips that can be run 12" are IMO great for height limited spaces and get the most light to the plant with the least light bleed and most even coverage without hot spots like timber, hlg and others. This is why it's so beneficial to have dimmers so you can adjust height and intensity to get the most even spread at the right intensity

With timbers having cob style lights it comes from a single source and requires a lens to spread it out. With a lot of diodes spread out evenly you can run much closer preventing bleed and getting more even coverage.

But all this needs to be put together with open air or reflective spaces and taking overlap, hot spots etc. Into account.

The spectrums and ratios can differ between lights. When we talk penetration its basically the focused direction of the light and the height needed for even coverage while maintaining a certain intensity.

Then there is the efficacy and other factors. Basically what I'm saying is timbers, HLG, gavitas, HID and all sources if having the same spectral qualities still don't all suit the same type of grows.

Maybe im not understanding but can you tell me what makes timer say a better light than HLG? I get the 16-18" above the canopy but thats only part of the info. How close together do they need to be for even coverage at that height? And how high can you run the wattage at that height? How even is the coverage at that height when spaced as directed.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with timbers but I'm not sure how less diodes or a more concentrated light can allow them to run the same or closer without lenses that spread the light and that would increase light bleed not reduce it
Oh I never once said they were better. To clarify in posts before, I simply said I’m getting better light penetration with my timbers over my kingbrite. Welcome back aquaman, we missed you. Thank you for that info. Quite frankly I have no negative things to say about My kingbrite board either, it’s running great. Honestly, the buds in the middle of both spectrums look to be the cream of the crop.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh I never once said they were better. To clarify in posts before, I simply said I’m getting better light penetration with my timbers over my kingbrite. Welcome back aquaman, we missed you. Thank you for that info. Quite frankly I have no negative things to say about My kingbrite board either, it’s running great. Honestly, the buds in the middle of both spectrums look to be the cream of the crop.
Thanks bro. My reading skills need some work. I can definitely see better penetration but requiring a higher height.

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

So I have now gotten a million different answers and been sent in a million different directions and gone down the LED rabbit hole.

I am in a 2x2.5x5'7" gorilla tent I'd like to narrow my endless search down because I have been all over.

For my size tent what should I look at from

1. Kingbrite
2. Hlg

I go to alibaba and there are a zillion different fixtures on there.

I have looked at 240w, 135w and then just rabbit hole it up.

I have found myself almost just buying Spider Farmer twice because they claim samsung lights and mean well drivers and dont seem to be as expensive at kingbrite.

I see there are a ton of options and opinions and respect them all.

Basically asking you guys for the small tent I'm in what models should I be looking at to stop me from looking at shit that doesnt apply.

Fyi I may be buying a 3x3 lol so thinking whatever is in the 2x2 may need to be enough to head to a 3x3 in the future. But that I dont think is to big a deal. Not like I'm going from a 2x2 to a 10x10.

I appreciate all the MIND BLOWING info. 🤯

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Timber has run outside sphere tests and threads with continuous feedback longer than HLG had quantum boards.

They used to work together and timber sold boards too a while. But timber decided the cobs were better and dropped the boards. Now for multi level shelf grows they have a bar light.

Why are they better. They say the spread, coverage and depth is greater than boards.

They used to include lenses but in tests they found without has better penetration and can be run closer to the plants.

Lots of opinions here but the builders talk all the time on another forum and respond quickly to questions.

Like boards are able to be run closer. Timber proved that incorrect years ago.

The lenses were the issue.

They also have identified counterfeit stuff from some chinese built boards. And have explained other early failures. Hundreds of pages of proper info posted. Right from the first quantum board sent to growers for testing.

I think Ttystikk (was a member here a long time) still has it and uses it. Been from maybe 5 years ago. He was using it for a verticle grow against an upright trellis.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So I have now gotten a million different answers and been sent in a million different directions and gone down the LED rabbit hole.

I am in a 2x2.5x5'7" gorilla tent I'd like to narrow my endless search down because I have been all over.

1. Kingbrite
2. Hlg

I have found myself almost just buying Spider Farmer twice because they claim samsung lights and mean well drivers and dont seem to be as expensive at kingbrite.

Basically asking you guys for the small tent I'm in what models should I be looking at to stop me from looking at shit that doesnt apply.

Fyi I may be buying a 3x3 lol so thinking whatever is in the 2x2 may need to be enough to head to a 3x3 in the future. But that I dont think is to big a deal. Not like I'm going from a 2x2 to a 10x10.

30w per sq ft. Timbers,hlg,kingbrite will all work and work well. You just need to adjust your grow based on the light. HLG would be where I would feel the best because of the height. Kingbrite is a budget option and timber or hlg i would consider better options for quality and warranty reasons.

You may need a little more space between the plants and lights with timbers

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Timber has run outside sphere tests and threads with continuous feedback longer than HLG had quantum boards.

They used to work together and timber sold boards too a while. But timber decided the cobs were better and dropped the boards. Now for multi level shelf grows they have a bar light.

Why are they better. They say the spread, coverage and depth is greater than boards.

They used to include lenses but in tests they found without has better penetration and can be run closer to the plants.

Lots of opinions here but the builders talk all the time on another forum and respond quickly to questions.

Like boards are able to be run closer. Timber proved that incorrect years ago.

The lenses were the issue.

They also have identified counterfeit stuff from some chinese built boards. And have explained other early failures. Hundreds of pages of proper info posted. Right from the first quantum board sent to growers for testing.

I think Ttystikk (was a member here a long time) still has it and uses it. Been from maybe 5 years ago. He was using it for a verticle grow against an upright trellis.
Yeah it will depend on the focus of the light. Didn't know they removed the lenses. So basically they are cob with all diodes at low wattage put close together. There is no real difference other than cob style where the diodes are clustered and boards where they are spread out.

I cant see how they can be put closer than boards unless run at lower wattage which may well be the case.

All the top leds avoid cobs but thats not to say they don't have a place and don't grow nice plants. To me its only a light distribution difference and nothing more.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

1. Kingbrite
2. Hlg

You always get more than you ask for when it comes to lights lmfao

B0ssD0ss

B0ssD0ss

Stupid thing is I just figured out the viparspectra p1500 I just bought is all white lights. So I already have a light big enough to cover a 3x3 in my 2x2 (for the time being). I havent hooked them up yet so was thinking they were like the 300w I have which are blurple but their new pro series are white lights. Obviously they must not be in the same category as the kingbrites, timbers, hlgs and so on but......... Its a start 🤯

FourthCity

FourthCity

30w per sq ft. Timbers,hlg,kingbrite will all work and work well. You just need to adjust your grow based on the light. HLG would be where I would feel the best because of the height. Kingbrite is a budget option and timber or hlg i would consider better options for quality and warranty reasons.

You may need a little more space between the plants and lights with timbers
I run my timbers closer than my hlg lights, the hlgs seem far more prone to bleaching and overheating plants at close distances where the timber seems to be a little more gentle on the plants with the same lux readings and closer distance to canopy. Timbers haven't come with reflectors for over a year and they are not recommended, they recommend their lights be hung 18 inches above the canopy and hlg recommends 28-36 inches above the canopy. Where are you getting your info that the hlgs work better closer than timbers?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I run my timbers closer than my hlg lights, the hlgs seem far more prone to bleaching and overheating plants at close distances where the timber seems to be a little more gentle on the plants with the same lux readings and closer distance to canopy. Timbers haven't come with reflectors for over a year and they are not recommended, they recommend their lights be hung 18 inches above the canopy and hlg recommends 28-36 inches above the canopy. Where are you getting your info that the hlgs work better closer than timbers?
Just simple physics. More light produce from a single area like a spot light would create more intense light over a lower area and would need to be further than the same wattage dispersed over an area.

Let's not compare apples and oranges. Ppfd is ppfd one is not going to create any more bleaching than the other.

Can you link me the exact fixtures you are using from each and over what area and i will try to point out why you may be seeing this

Added: let's not forget lux is not an ideal way to measure for ppdf and should only be used as a rough guide. While the lux may be the same the ppfd can be much different.

Last edited:
FourthCity

FourthCity

https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/lamps/products/hlg-600-rspec

(I have the 600r kit but they dont list the height recommendations for it, the prebuilt one is the same specs though)

Im not comparing apples to oranges just stating the fact that I have to back my hlgs off more than my timbers which is consistent with the manufacturers testing and recommendations. Do you also have first hand experience with the newer timbers and hlg lights?

Part of what causes bleaching is heat stress and the timber's heatsinks and open design do a better job of keeping that heat above the fixture and away from the canopy than hlg's lamps do. For me it doesn't really give one light an edge over the other but in a situation with limited height like you mentioned, based on my experience and the manufacturers own info I would make the opposite recommendation and say the timber would be better.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Cobs
Stupid thing is I just figured out the viparspectra p1500 I just bought is all white lights. So I already have a light big enough to cover a 3x3 in my 2x2 (for the time being). I havent hooked them up yet so was thinking they were like the 300w I have which are blurple but their new pro series are white lights. Obviously they must not be in the same category as the kingbrites, timbers, hlgs and so on but......... Its a start 🤯

They are much like spider farmer. Seem like a nice budget light. They use cheap accessory diodes like other chinese lamps but have a real nice heatsink with a convenient dimmer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom