L.E.D. Argument Thread For Dummies:)

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I believe they are a sponsor on The Farm. I purchased my lighting it was not given as a tester and I will be documenting a grow in the near future.

growsince79

growsince79

I have had pretty dismal results with the LED's made in China. I started out with a Mars Reflector Series. That light is still working today for a widow I gave it to. Next came a couple Mars TS1000's I believe. One went out after 6 months and I was told they were out of drivers in the US and the driver had to come from China. (per pandemic era). I got the new driver after about 4 weeks. Just as the second driver went out. So those were removed from the veg room. Next I made the mistake of going on Amazon and found great reviews on Bestva. I was at work and I got a text that the light was delivered. When I looked at the picture I thought something was wrong. It looked too small. Well I was correct, it was about 12" x 12". needless to say that one went back to Amazon. I wrote an accurate review of the product and about a week later I got an email from Bestva stating that if I changed by review to 5 stars they would refund my money and I could keep the light. I was really shocked by that response. Lastly came growers choice. An American company with lights made in China. I has a grow going and I do not check plants with lights off. I was having problems with plants stretching to no end. I finally checked with lights out and well a couple banks on several lights were illuminated by about 15 percent, hence the stretch problem. I guess you could say I had bad luck I do not know. I just run high output T5 with LED bulbs for moms, fluence and Gavita for everything else. It is pretty costly to loose a whole crop to bad lights. I hope I have learned my lesson.

I'm kinda new to leds. Bought a growstar blurple a couple years ago. Killed a couple plants and had bad results on a couple. So I dug out the 20 year old hps, bought new bulbs and was back to doing what I know. Bought my first 100w hlg last summer, and I've bought 2 more since then.

Do the LEDs make bigger and better buds than my 150w hps? I don't think so - at least not in my set up. Do the LEDs improve yield? In my set up,they improve g/w but g/sqft is the same. They also run a lot cooler using 33.3% less power.

As of a few days ago, I'm running 300w hps and 100w HLG. I may have to replace the last led because it's hard to keep temps now. I like being able to mix and match- and I can grow more in the warmer months than I can with HPS alone.

Anthem

Anthem

I'm kinda new to leds. Bought a growstar blurple a couple years ago. Killed a couple plants and had bad results on a couple. So I dug out the 20 year old hps, bought new bulbs and was back to doing what I know. Bought my first 100w hlg last summer, and I've bought 2 more since then.

Do the LEDs make bigger and better buds than my 150w hps? I don't think so - at least not in my set up. Do the LEDs improve yield? In my set up,they improve g/w but g/sqft is the same. They also run a lot cooler using 33.3% less power.

As of a few days ago, I'm running 300w hps and 100w HLG. I may have to replace the last led because it's hard to keep temps now. I like being able to mix and match- and I can grow more in the warmer months than I can with HPS alone.
I got lucky, I was researching LED grow lights for about 5 weeks. Most of the reviews I could find were from odd websites, I was on this forum and a guy replied to a thread and said he was actually part of a group that makes the websites and reviews. Secondly, I was driving home from work one day and I stop off at a hydro store I had visited once or twice. They has a quantum board set up in a tent and I was looking at that when the tech mentioned that gavita came out with an LED (1650E). I figured in Gavita made an LED it had to be something. So I just pulled the trigger. Had to take out a loan from the savings account to pay for it, but I never regretted the purchase. I have since paid back the loan. I try to run everything like a business. If I make money it goes back into the grow for equipment and electric bill. I know some say it is a budget thing but I only spend what I can make.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
And we wonder why the likes of Jackmayoffer, Capulator and the others have long since went by the wayside.
@Moshmen, your comment about participation trophies is pretty much spot on, I came up with that being the turning point as well. What every happened to Wood Shop, Metal Shop, Auto Shop, Drafting. The people coming out of school today posses none of the skills learned in these shops because they do not exist. Give it another 5 or 10 years and we might be some real wage changes for say a plumber or a carpenter. Maybe maybe not.
Calculator wouldnt be who he is today without Thcfarmer! Remember that!

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Check this out, never got this close,
I could feel the wind from there wings on my face, like puppy breath when there new,
To stay on topic I did try to mount one led light on one of them.......didn’t work:)

growsince79

growsince79

I got lucky, I was researching LED grow lights for about 5 weeks. Most of the reviews I could find were from odd websites, I was on this forum and a guy replied to a thread and said he was actually part of a group that makes the websites and reviews. Secondly, I was driving home from work one day and I stop off at a hydro store I had visited once or twice. They has a quantum board set up in a tent and I was looking at that when the tech mentioned that gavita came out with an LED (1650E). I figured in Gavita made an LED it had to be something. So I just pulled the trigger. Had to take out a loan from the savings account to pay for it, but I never regretted the purchase. I have since paid back the loan. I try to run everything like a business. If I make money it goes back into the grow for equipment and electric bill. I know some say it is a budget thing but I only spend what I can make.
I don't make a dime. I just spend money so I don't have to go to the dispensaries. Paying off better than the chickens. I would have been better off just buying eggs. But they're so much fun.

Anthem

Anthem

I don't make a dime. I just spend money so I don't have to go to the dispensaries. Paying off better than the chickens. I would have been better off just buying eggs. But they're so much fun.
That is funny, kind of thought about getting some chickens as well. Oh I better add that I find LED to be useful, Have to keep it on topic. Do not want to get reported.

growsince79

growsince79

One of the best selling points for LEDs are they use less power. For my small, personal use gardens they only save me $5 per month on electric.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Hahaha. The tread actually worked.
Well done diesel.
An all nighter! Sleep it off boys and girls. Save that energy for the next round. 😂
Mr.G

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

LED's? Pfft. They're for beginners and casual growers.

Those of us that are SERIOUS about our plants' light needs know that the only REAL way to replicate the sun is by building a closet-sized hadron collider and firing accelerated deuterium atoms at each other to produce cold fusion.

And I thought all this time the best way was to rub 2 sticks together .... lol

Techlove

Techlove

has nothing to do with not being able to take criticism, it's about a lack of respect for fellow members that take the time to post their grow diaries.

if you don't like the manufacturer of their equipment, that's your issue. don't hijack their diary and post pages of nonsense, go make your own thread.
Well said,Lack of respect

Arwood

Arwood

Just finished reading all 16 pages. Gotta say, I'm more confused now than before. Am I wasting my time with my Mars TS1000 and TS600? I'm a new grower, my place is typically pretty warm (75-80) year round, and this is all fitting in a 2x3x5 tent.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Just finished reading all 16 pages. Gotta say, I'm more confused now than before. Am I wasting my time with my Mars TS1000 and TS600? I'm a new grower, my place is typically pretty warm (75-80) year round, and this is all fitting in a 2x3x5 tent.

lol. Better start an led thread. ;-)

Should go well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom