L.E.D. Argument Thread For Dummies:)

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Not taking cost into consideration, the ideal way to buy the best LED on the planet earth. Not Mars.............................hydro. Etc. Etc etc.
BCblondes, will get a look from me, when that time comes. Solid build, Canadian assembled, solid price, great warranty.

OGGemann

OGGemann

The first advice i got here, just buy HGL :)
I am new here, I saw this post about HLG and had to reply to it. First of all a great company and great American products hands down. I have been buying HLG Lighting for almost 5 years now. It was one of my first light that I bought and instantly fell in love with them. I have bought other lights from different company before and wasn’t to happy about the quality of the product not bright enough, looking cheap but wasn’t cheap out of pocket and didn’t last long at all. To end this tread I would say buy HLG and only HLG you will definitely be a HLG lifer as me.👊

edray2052

edray2052

Hey all - does anyone happen to have a PPFD chart for the HLG 260xl RSPEC? HLG publishes charts for pretty much every light they sell, but not this one. Anyone ever come across a chart for the XL on the interwebs? Or made their own? Really having trouble figuring how far to hang/how much to dim in my 2x4. Trying to avoid buying an expensive par meter...

Keymaker

Keymaker

I am new here, I saw this post about HLG and had to reply to it. First of all a great company and great American products hands down. I have been buying HLG Lighting for almost 5 years now. It was one of my first light that I bought and instantly fell in love with them. I have bought other lights from different company before and wasn’t to happy about the quality of the product not bright enough, looking cheap but wasn’t cheap out of pocket and didn’t last long at all. To end this tread I would say buy HLG and only HLG you will definitely be a HLG lifer as me.👊
lol first one I bought the it came with no cord. Took them a week to get another one. 4 months later all the paper fell off of all three. I was left glue and ripped paper on the boards. At first they told me to use rubbing alcohol and clean it off. yea right that would take day. A year later I called and they claimed there shouldn't of been any paper or cardboard on they're lights a week later I sent and email and then the said send them back. Ok now what am I suppose to shut down my whole grow because I bought lights that where almost a grand a piece???? granted lights run fine with out the etl listing cardboard but thats not the point. So I bought timbers and gave those to my father to use. The quality on the timbers is unmatched from what I have seen I have 2 cypress 8s and 2 of there cob fixtures. I'm a timber lifer. unless they end up over seas. If any thing goes wrong there are two ballast if one went bad half the lights still running cobs and bars are easily switched out if you have have to work on them its easy Allen key and Phillips.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hey all - does anyone happen to have a PPFD chart for the HLG 260xl RSPEC? HLG publishes charts for pretty much every light they sell, but not this one. Anyone ever come across a chart for the XL on the interwebs? Or made their own? Really having trouble figuring how far to hang/how much to dim in my 2x4. Trying to avoid buying an expensive par meter...

why not call or email HLG?

Anthem

Anthem

Okay now I understand. Yeah those lenses will definitely concentrate the footprint but it would require you to mount it higher because of it but then again it depends on what diode you are concentrating. Not positive on how much extra heat they create but most of the the heat is transferring from the diode to the heatsink in the back.

So also there is a UL code for commercial agricultural lights that puts a minimum standard on the horticultural light industry and I believe one of those standards is having a cover over the diode with some kind of lens or cover. Perhaps that is why they were using it. Maybe they were playing towards that side of the industry.

I suspect this is also why you see many DIY kits that are just about made.
Homesteader, this is really a confusing subject. I have to deal with under writers with my line of work. UL is an under righter. They do not make or enforce codes. What they actually do is preform testing and based on the outcome they will under right (certify) that that product or component meets said requirement. The sad part of this is when a new code is adopted and there is a benefit for UL or other under righters said under righters will purposely promote said code and they will basically force products to comply with new code. They do this to generate additional income. Testing by these folks is not cheap and the cost gets applied to the end product.

Fresnoguy559

Fresnoguy559

What do you think about these LED’s at my local hydro store? They quoted me at 1000 each no tax since I’m buying 15. I’m looking for some opinions anything is greatly appreciated thank you guys. Been looking for reviews on this light but there is hardly any. Also I’m really considering luxx leds which would take a week to get here and growers choice I have to drive 150 miles just to get some. Once again thank you all in advance.

48D58683 1218 4AEC 9AA8 DF90AE93475E
369CDBDF 6355 4170 A43E 264E15809C29
Homesteader

Homesteader

Homesteader, this is really a confusing subject. I have to deal with under writers with my line of work. UL is an under righter. They do not make or enforce codes. What they actually do is preform testing and based on the outcome they will under right (certify) that that product or component meets said requirement. The sad part of this is when a new code is adopted and there is a benefit for UL or other under righters said under righters will purposely promote said code and they will basically force products to comply with new code. They do this to generate additional income. Testing by these folks is not cheap and the cost gets applied to the end product.
It is my understanding that the code is still referred to as UL code? Maybe I have the wording wrong?
No definitely not cheap. Something like $5k, I think and they do nothing but rubber stamp. I think the insurance companies are the ones writing the rules ultimately when it comes to commercial lighting. What a headache I wouldn''t want

Anthem

Anthem

What do you think about these LED’s at my local hydro store? They quoted me at 1000 each no tax since I’m buying 15. I’m looking for some opinions anything is greatly appreciated thank you guys. Been looking for reviews on this light but there is hardly any. Also I’m really considering luxx leds which would take a week to get here and growers choice I have to drive 150 miles just to get some. Once again thank you all in advance.
If there are not many reviews for the product that can be a sign of little interest in the product or it is brand new. The price is sure good but there are down sides to products with little to no reviews verses tested and reviewed products. Luxx and Growers Choice I believe are made abroad. I had some of the ROI680's and I sold them when they malfunctioned. I know of some bad issues with a similar brand Carson Electric. While price is good I had trouble finding the manufacturers website.

Anthem

Anthem

It is my understanding that the code is still referred to as UL code? Maybe I have the wording wrong?
No definitely not cheap. Something like $5k, I think and they do nothing but rubber stamp. I think the insurance companies are the ones writing the rules ultimately when it comes to commercial lighting. What a headache I wouldn''t want
I went back to the link and it states UL Standard. So not only did they generate the whole thing themselves I can pretty confident it is just another money grab by UL. They made the standard go promote it to code officials and then they get it adopted into the codes. It is the worst of the worst in terms of B.S. They charge an insane fee for the certification and every one of those UL stickers the manufacturer has to pay a fee to use. They come in every month and preform an audit to see how many are used and they charge you accordingly. It is a legal racket.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I went back to the link and it states UL Standard. So not only did they generate the whole thing themselves I can pretty confident it is just another money grab by UL. They made the standard go promote it to code officials and then they get it adopted into the codes. It is the worst of the worst in terms of B.S. They charge an insane fee for the certification and every one of those UL stickers the manufacturer has to pay a fee to use. They come in every month and preform an audit to see how many are used and they charge you accordingly. It is a legal racket.
Perhaps but that is the game that you would have to play if you wanted to sell on the US market. UL standard (not code). It is just called that. Other underwriters use the same standard and call it the same. UL was the only game in town for decades so I think thats why they call it that.
You know more than I do about it I'm sure but the commercial market is up against insurance.

savagemonk

savagemonk

Early this year I purchased and started growing with growers choice roi 780. I’m wondering if dimming the lights during flower to 25% or even 50%, to reduce brightness for my eyes, could cause enough stress for seed production? I like dimming the lights to check the plants overall health when I’m working under the canopy. My led glasses have too much green tint.

growsince79

growsince79

Early this year I purchased and started growing with growers choice roi 780. I’m wondering if dimming the lights during flower to 25% or even 50%, to reduce brightness for my eyes, could cause enough stress for seed production? I like dimming the lights to check the plants overall health when I’m working under the canopy. My led glasses have too much green tint.
Won't hurt at all unless they're shit genetics.

Anthem

Anthem

Perhaps but that is the game that you would have to play if you wanted to sell on the US market. UL standard (not code). It is just called that. Other underwriters use the same standard and call it the same. UL was the only game in town for decades so I think thats why they call it that.
You know more than I do about it I'm sure but the commercial market is up against insurance.
When you mention US Market, some of the stuff coming into the US will bear a UL sticker. It might be on the cord and said cord would be UL listed but the fixture itself may not be. There is a way to research the listing a company has but you would need to know the true company name and then there are side deals that occur. Say GE has a listing and Westinghouse wanted to use it. GE can license Westinghouse to use the listing. The whole under righting world is rather confusing but the bottom line is that UL, WHI, ETL and the likes are just cash cows. But the world we live in.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I agree but I am talking about selling a light to a commercial grow. Every part must be UL standard

Top Bottom