L.E.D. Argument Thread For Dummies:)

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SSgrower

SSgrower

I wanted the 650 w but ordered the 450w reflector series, so I'll order another & have twin lights for a combined 900w in my 4x4.

shitwinds

shitwinds

this is like cuban vs non cuban in the cigar world........some think cuban is the only way, but looking at it so closed minded, you miss out on alot of quality non cuban offerings.......i have found there is no right or wrong, just opinions.......

i do led(kind LED600 for a 2x4 tent) for heat concerns in the dez.......bought what i think is a higher end version, and will be ok with the decision........i still have an hps from my first grow years ago(this is my second, years later), but learned about the heat issue quickly, so it just sits now.........but this is a hobby, i do it for learning and enjoyment........and i am learning and enjoying😎👍 everything else is just background noise........TASTES GREAT!(some else will have to give the less filling argument)

Dr.B

Dr.B

this is like cuban vs non cuban in the cigar world........some think cuban is the only way, but looking at it so closed minded, you miss out on alot of quality non cuban offerings.......i have found there is no right or wrong, just opinions.......

i do led(kind LED600 for a 2x4 tent) for heat concerns in the dez.......bought what i think is a higher end version, and will be ok with the decision........i still have an hps from my first grow years ago(this is my second, years later), but learned about the heat issue quickly, so it just sits now.........but this is a hobby, i do it for learning and enjoyment........and i am learning and enjoying😎👍 everything else is just background noise........TASTES GREAT!(some else will have to give the less filling argument)
I was going to link you to a video on a kind teardown I posted page 1 of this thread but it appears that for no good reason, my posts have been quietly and completely deleted. (Lol, I suspect that I'm not particularly well liked by some admin... Something about this place being dumb...🤷🏼‍♂️ It's certainly full of know it alls and weed snobs... Old boys club. 😂 Out)

Last edited:
shitwinds

shitwinds

I was going to link you to a video on a kind teardown I posted page 1 of this thread but it appears that for no good reason, my posts have been quietly and completely deleted. (Lol, I suspect that I'm not particularly well liked by some admin... Something about this place being dumb...🤷🏼‍♂️ It's certainly full of know it alls and weed snobs... Old boys club. 😂 Out)
readers digest condensed version?........good, or overpriced, old technology?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Get one of those heating mats that 1d1 got for his 4x4.
I'll vouch for that ...

I've got three 20" x 48" under the the water catch mat of my 5 x 5 tent. They are run into a thermostat so they will cycle on and off. So far, they have worked well at a fraction of the cost of running an electric heater. My plants seem to be thriving with warmer feet, and my basement grow area didn't go below 60 during the recent cold snap.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'll vouch for that ...

I've got three 20" x 48" under the the water catch mat of my 5 x 5 tent. They are run into a thermostat so they will cycle on and off. So far, they have worked well at a fraction of the cost of running an electric heater. My plants seem to be thriving with warmer feet, and my basement grow area didn't go below 60 during the recent cold snap.

can you post a link to the mats? This is likely the solution to my cold basement.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think if it's not a small tent the best option is radiant floor heating... easy af fuck to do and probably more cost effective if doing a larger space.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think if it's not a small tent the best option is radiant floor heating... easy af fuck to do and probably more cost effective if doing a larger space.

not in my unfinished early 1900’s basement.

Everything must sit up on pallets or blocks.

PiffinOut

PiffinOut

I bought them on Ebay from this seller: https://www.ebay.com/itm/iPower-MET-Certified-Seedling-Heat-Mat-ETL-Digital-Thermostat-Control-Combo/162164285459?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=462852067176&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

He's currently out of stock for the 20" x 48" size, but he's not the only seller selling them. It's worked well and no matter where you source them from, they will be worth your investment.

Till you come home and your tent is melted or your house is on fire because they malfunctioned.
Buyer beware not all heaters are created equal.
The two things I would never cheap out on for any indoor horticulture operation are heating mats and lights. Ive seen horror stories of non- UL listed mats and lights that were poorly wired.
I hate to be a downer but I always have to look at things from a risk/reward scenario. The rewards of using todays lines of horticulture heating mats in your own home without buffers for plants is not worth the risk to me.
If your going to use le cheapo non UL listed mat make sure to only use clay pots that cant burn and also have tile or glass or concrete (something non-meltable/flammable) that can buffer heat when needed underneath. Most "UL certified""MET certified heat mats are not UL-listed and will create uneven patches of heat that can change depending on how things are put on them and how they are oriented. You will find many horror stories and pictures of them burning through the plastic cover as well as furniture they are in contact with. UL certified and UL listed are two totally different things.

PS. As far as Im aware there are only like two true UL listed heat mat brands. Most heat mats do not meet the stringent criteria to be UL listed and thus are not safe enough for me to consider in my home. Personally, I trust a generic non UL listed aquarium heaters more than I trust a generic non UL- listed horticulture heating mat.
Id much rather get a cheapo glass fish tank with a aquarium heater, old style thermometer and small air pump. I also would imagine for young seedlings and the like that for fitting floating seedling trays would work insanely well inside the aquarium and could also suffice as a no frills hydroponic seedling starter if you arent afraid of some water based-algae. Granted, depending on the temp you want it set at you could end up with some serious humidity issues inside your tent which come with its own batch of problems but... it beats coming home to your house on fire or having to replace a burned/melted tent/table/wooden floor etc. A

Idk, I come from the aquatic fish and plant hobby, Im a different breed than most people on here. Even with a water heater you can still have issues, but, atleast water acts as a time extender if your heater busts, you may nuke your fish/plants but you probably wont nuke your house. If the heater breaks and starts busting out heavy heat then the water obvi takes alot of time to evaporate buying you more time after the malfunction to come home and check your equipement. The same cant be said for a mat heater.

To each their own. My advice, if you own your own home, and your home is expensive , dont cheap out on anything to do with heat for your horticulture hobby or aquarium. Think things right and buy right the first time. If you go the mat route, get tiles or glass or a concrete slab (something that wont melt or catch fire essentially) for underneath and in between to be safe. Nuked pot plants are one thing, nuked rare exotic imported fish another, but nuking your home and mans best friend Fiddo/Skippy/Lassie or waking up to having to rush you and your kids out of a house at 3am cause daddy lit the basement on fire to get high, well thats the MOAB right there ... thats a whole lot of time and effort that just went "Up in Smoke" and fire insurance will never pay you back in full for what was lost. Shit, come to think of it, they may not even cover a dime if they determine what started the fire was a heating device that wasnt UL- listed.

There is a reason aquarium heating companies love to show hobbysts their UL-listing and go out of their way financially to make something that can be UL listed.
Water, electric, and heat dont mix and these guys do not want to get sued or have the bad rap, they also have lightyears of research ahead of the indoor horticulture business. Ill take a 5 year old UL listed Eheim aqua heater and an aquarium and a pump with a floating seed tray or floating pot of some kind any day for controlled dispursion of heat over just a new bare heating mat with no layers of protection and inadequate dispersion.

You get more controllable heat with water circulating to even the temp, and IF things go wrong the water evaporation and glass buys you alot of time.

If you go the vegetable heating mat route like many here would prefer to do (as not everyone wants to deal with an aquarium taking space or water and humidty issue) idiot proof AND "made in china proof" your setup. Going cheap on heat is not worth your house, your pets, your kids, or your day in court with the insurance company.

Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

@MIMedGrower Have you thought about grabbing some of those rubber mats for horse stalls? They maybe a bit pricier than you are looking to pay but should raise them up and add a few degrees.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

@MIMedGrower Have you thought about grabbing some of those rubber mats for horse stalls? They maybe a bit pricier than you are looking to pay but should raise them up and add a few degrees.

Yes i have but i need the heating elements. Arent there heated rubber mats like this designed to hold weight?

Homesteader

Homesteader

Sounds pricey but effective.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sounds pricey but effective.

power unit provided separately. May get a bit too pricey. But i had not considered snow melting. I am going to keep searching for products. @1diesel1 found a good heated floor mat for his new grow. I got time. I’m still in the considering stage. If i can figure out how to grow well in my weird old open basement i can have 2 bedrooms back upstairs. Lol. Like living in a real house again. Its really a 1 bedroom apartment with a full length but short ceiling unheated basement for storage.

thanks for the suggestion. Those rubber mats may be perfect to insulate the plywood floor in the flower room upstairs.

Top Bottom